Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-3-14-23:44
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1993 08:41:51 +0300

Topics:
	 Source release of the KHG
	 New LDP ftp site
	 copyright template for linux documentation
	 linuxdoc

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael K Johnson)
Subject: Source release of the KHG
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1993 02:29:05 +0300

Another ALPHA release of the Linux Kernel Hackers' Guide is here, but
this time it comes with source code.  I have tried to deal with all
the copyright issues.  If you wrote for this and are not satisfied
with the copyright acknowledgement that you have been given, please
contact me, Michael K. Johnson, [email-masked]

The KHG is available as a complete gzipped tar file with source code as
ftp.stolaf.edu:/pub/linux-doc/khg.tar.z
It is available as a dvi file as khg.dvi.z and as a postscript file as
khg.ps.z, as well, all in the same directory.

The Linux Kernel Hackers' Guide is a guide that is eventually supposed
to document the workings of the whole Linux kernel.  Right now, it is
only part way there.  Please take a look at it if such things interest
you.

ftp.stolaf.edu:/pub/linux-doc/ is now the new private home of the doc
project, since people have been having so many problems accessing
nic.funet.fi.  Please do not spread this around, or we will have to
make the directory private and all that ugliness.  If other people
want to know how to get the KHG, have them ask me, and I have another
way for them to download it without giving away where we store out
works in progress.

michaelkjohnson

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Matt Welsh)
Subject: New LDP ftp site
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1993 02:34:12 +0300

Hello,

We decided that it would be a good idea to have the doc project FTP space 
more accessible and maintainable. A hidden directory on a machine with a 
limited incoming link with a maintainer who doesn't read e-mail as often 
as most of us is probably a bad idea. :) 

The new site space is ftp.stolaf.edu:/pub/linux-doc. It's not hidden,
so please don't spread this around. This is for ALPHA and development
versions of docs ONLY. Absolutely NO redistribution of docs in this 
directory is allowed. 

In any case, this should make it easier to access files and move things
around. Please let me know if this is a problem.

Everything from nic's LDP directory has been moved there. As always,
ftp.cs.unc.edu is still used for the man page project.

Thanks to Michael for providing this.

mdw

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael K Johnson)
Subject: copyright template for linux documentation
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1993 03:40:54 +0300

I would like to propose a template copyright for the LDP docs.
Several people have said that they like the copyright I put on the
KHG, so I turned it into a template for people to use.
(ftp.stolaf.edu:/pub/linux-doc/copyright.tem)
I put in <> around things that have to be changed.  I'd like comments
and discussion about this:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\noindent UNIX is a trademark of Unix System Labratories\\
\linux\ is not a trademark, and has no connection to
UNIX\tm\ or Unix System Labratories.\\
\vspace*{\fill}

\noindent
Copyright \copyright \ <year(s)> \ <author>\\
<address>\\
{\tt <email>}

\vspace{.2in}\noindent
<title> may be reproduced and distributed in whole or in part, subject
to the following conditions:
\begin{enumerate}
\setcounter{enumi}{-1}
\item The copyright notice above and this permission notice must be
preserved complete on all complete or partial copies.

\item Any translation or derivative work of <title> must be approved
by the author in writing before distribution.

\item If you distribute <title> in part, instructions for obtaining
the complete version of <title> must be included, and a means for
obtaining a complete version provided.

\item Small portions may be reproduced as illustrations for reviews
or {\bf quotes} in other works without this permission notice if
proper citation is given.

\item The GNU General Public License referenced below may be
reproduced under the conditions given within it.

\item Several sections of this document are held under separate
copyright.  When these sections are covered by a different copyright,
the seperate copyright is noted.  {\bf If you distribute <title> in
part, and that part is, in whole, covered under a seperate, noted
copyright, the conditions of that copyright apply.}

\end{enumerate}

Exceptions to these rules may be granted for academic purposes: Write
to <author>, at the above address, or email {\tt <email>}, and ask.
These restrictions are here to protect us as authors, not to restrict
you as educators and learners.

\vspace{.2in}\noindent
All source code in <title> is placed under the GNU General Public
License.  See appendix~\ref{gnu-license} for a copy of the GNU
``GPL.''

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael K Johnson)
Subject: linuxdoc
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1993 05:02:41 +0300

linuxdoc.tar.z, my linuxdoc style package for LaTeX for the Linux
Documentation Project, is available in its latest (still incomplete)
incarnation as ftp.stolaf.edu:/pub/linux-doc/linuxdoc.tar.z

If you are writing for the LDP, I recommend getting the latest.  It
has an updated conventions section, and there is lots more in the
style sheet.  Read it, especially the comments...

If anyone is a real TeX/LaTeX hacker, *please* get in touch with me
--- there is one little sticky problem that makes not quite as nice
output that I would like to resolve.

michaelkjohnson

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------