Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-3-14-16:58
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1993 23:37:30 +0300

Topics:
	 man(2) pages gone astray

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Ian Jackson)
Subject: man(2) pages gone astray
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1993 19:38:03 +0300

Drew writes:
> I [got the new pages from ftp.unc.edu], and noticed that some
> entries from my original man(2) pages were missing.

I'm afraid I couldn't quite figure out which ones Drew thinks are
missing. It's probably just me being dense, and not having the stuff
available here at work.

> [...] when I wrote the original man(2) pages, I often grouped multiple 
> system calls into a single man page - such as [read and write].

Indeed. I've split read and write up again, for one. I looked in
ftp.cs.unc.edu:/pub/faith/linux/man.linux/man2 and found read.2 and
write.2 as I expected.

I've also (as people may have noticed) split fcntl(2) into separate
pages for each command; if there's general opposition to this I'll put
it back into one jumbo page.

> Unfortunately, when Michael modified the man pages, he often stripped 
> out several entries and didn't give them their own pages (ie, write 
> from the read.2 page, [...] and so on). 
> 
> In some cases, the entries were grouped according to source file
> since I wrote TFM from TFS, so some reorganization was probably 
> desireable (ie [getpid and 14 others])
>  was probably a little excessive), but total elimination of these entries 
> doesn't do a whole lot of good.

I haven't touched getpid and co. yet and I've only been sending the
pages I've modified to Rik. However looking in the man2 directory does
show most of the ones Drew mentioned. [gs]etsid seem to be missing,
though.

Perhaps Drew and anyone else who notices pages which appear to have
gone missing could mail me and/or Rik with the details, and we'll
track them down.

--
Ian Jackson  <[email-masked]> (non urgent email only - see below)
home: 35 Molewood Close, Cambridge, CB4 3SR, England; phone: +44 223 327029
work & urgent email: <[email-masked]> Olivetti Research Ltd; +44 223 343398
PGP2 public key on request; fingerprint = 5906F687 BD03ACAD 0D8E602E FCF37657

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------