Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-3-5-14:27
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1993 20:01:19 +0300

Topics:
	 [ANNOUNCE] More section 2 and 3 man pages now available
	 How to groff BSD man pages

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Rik Faith <[email-masked]>
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] More section 2 and 3 man pages now available
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1993 17:22:48 +0300

Section 2:
    Ian Jackson <[email-masked]> provided the following man pages:

    F_DUPFD.2       _exit.2         dup.2           mknod.2         symlink.2
    F_GETFD.2       access.2        dup2.2          open.2          unlink.2
    F_GETFL.2       alarm.2         fcntl.2         read.2          write.2
    F_SETFD.2       close.2         link.2          rename.2
    F_SETFL.2       creat.2         mkdir.2         rmdir.2

    Since these man pages have now been checked against Drew Eckhardt and
    Michael Haardt's versions, they have been placed in man2, and man2.new
    has been removed.

Section 3:
    David Metcalfe <[email-masked]> provided the following man pages:

    abort.3         exit.3          mbstowcs.3      readdir.3       strtoul.3
    abs.3           fcvt.3          mbtowc.3        rewinddir.3     telldir.3
    atexit.3        ftime.3         mkstemp.3       scandir.3       tempnam.3
    atof.3          gcvt.3          mktemp.3        seekdir.3       tmpfile.3
    atoi.3          getenv.3        on_exit.3       setenv.3        tmpnam.3
    atol.3          gettimeofday.3  opendir.3       setstate.3      unsetenv.3
    bsearch.3       initstate.3     putenv.3        settimeofday.3  wcstombs.3
    closedir.3      labs.3          qsort.3         srand.3         wctomb.3
    div.3           ldiv.3          rand.3          srandom.3
    ecvt.3          mblen.3         random.3        strtol.3

    Thomas Koenig <[email-masked]> provided the following man pages:

    assert.3        free.3          iscntrl.3       isspace.3       puts.3
    calloc.3        getc.3          isdigit.3       isupper.3       raise.3
    fgetc.3         getchar.3       isgraph.3       isxdigit.3      realloc.3
    fgets.3         gets.3          islower.3       malloc.3        toupper.3
    fputc.3         isalnum.3       isprint.3       putc.3          ungetc.3
    fputs.3         isalpha.3       ispunct.3       putchar.3

ftp.cs.unc.edu:/pub/faith/linux contains man.linux.5Apr93.tar.z, which is a
snap-shot of the current tree.  ftp.cs.unc.edu:/pub/faith/linux/man.linux
contains the current tree.

------------------------------

From: Rik Faith <[email-masked]>
Subject: How to groff BSD man pages
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1993 17:25:32 +0300

"Steven S. Dick" wrote (Mon,  5 Apr 1993 00:04:47 +0300):
> I just pulled tset off of sunsite.  The man page included contains macros
> used in the BSD 4.4 system that are not present in the tmac.an that came
> with my groff, so groff doesn't format the page in any useful way.

These BSD man pages use the DOC macros.

"Normal" UNIX man pages use the MAN macros.

Standard groff distributions include both the DOC and MAN macros.

The best way to use groff is to use the MANDOC wrapper, which automagically
detects which macro set is required and uses that set:

groff -mandoc -Tascii tset.1 | less

works just fine.  You can use this for man pages which use both the MAN and
the DOC macros.

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------