Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-2-28-12:9
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1993 19:36:24 +0300

Topics:
	 Man page format

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: David Metcalfe <[email-masked]>
Subject: Man page format
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1993 14:37:32 +0300

I have been writing some section 3 man pages.  The template I started
with (posted to this channel) had a CONFORMING TO section.  Even
though I haven't seen this on other non-Linux man pages, it seemed
like a good idea to include it.  

The suggested conforming systems were SVID, AT&T, POSIX, X/OPEN and 
BSD 4.3.  I have no problems with SVID, POSIX and BSD 4.3.  Does AT&T
refer to pre-System V Unix or AT&T's version of System V?  I know what
X/Open is, but don't have any documentation.  Is there any freely
available document (preferably on the net) that lists what functions
it includes?  I know about the X/Open Portability Guide, but I suspect
that costs money.  If not, are there any simple rules which would
enable me to work out at least what a sub-set of X/Open would include.
For instance, SVID 3 includes all of the functions in Standard C and
POSIX.  This enables me to identify most of the base functions in
SVID.

Also, the list of standards did not include Standard C.  I would have
thought it would be useful to include a keyword like ANSI to specify
that a function that is part of Standard C.

Any thoughts on any of the above.

David

-- 
David Metcalfe		[email-masked]
London, England		[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------