Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-2-17-16:34
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1993 23:13:29 +0200

Topics:
	 LDP Manifesto

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael K Johnson)
Subject: LDP Manifesto
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1993 17:25:35 +0200

   Agreed. I remember a while back someone (maybe it was you?) brought up the
   idea of us jointly sharing the copyright, and I thought I'd bring it back
   up. An editorial copyright is the best way to go.

   mdw

I don't think I would have brought up a joint copyright, as I don't
think it would be tenable copyright.  I don't think that a copyright
can be held by something which is not a legal entity.   A corporation
can hold a copyright just like a person, but an idea cannot.

I didn't mean to suggest that an editorial copyright is the best way
to go, but rather that individual copyright should be held on each of
the several documents, unless that document is really a compilation of
whole documents.  In that case, the authors of the included documents
retain the copyright (and the pieces that the editor writes, he still
holds under *individual* copyright) and the editor keeps an editorial
copyright over the whole collection.

Editorial copyright is not a replacement for individual copyright, but
an addition to hold a collection together.  Individual copyright must
be the basis for all our docs, but in necessary cases, an editorial
copyright may be used to hold the document together.

WARNING: I make no guarantees about the legal language here, of
correctness or intent....  I *think* that what I am trying to say here
agrees with the copyright law...

michaelkjohnson

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------