Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-2-3-14:13
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1993 20:32:03 +0200

Topics:
	 DOC-Channel-Digest
	 Re: Man pages
	 Re: Man pages

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Martin Schulze <[email-masked]>
Subject: DOC-Channel-Digest
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1993 13:36:39 +0200

Subject: Re: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-2-3-2:41
To: [email-masked]

}Matt Welsh sez:
}>What does everyone think? If this is a bad idea we'll just allocate more
}>chapters in System Admin's for all of the networking stuff, but most real
}>UNIX systems have a seperate networking guide with overview in the system
}>admin's.

Don`t allocate another chapter in the System Admin, because it`s growing 
and big enough. Just create a Networking Guide for those who can use
networking. Then the whole networking information is at one point.

mgs

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
! Martin Schulze                                       !    Time is       !
! Fachbereich Informatik                               !   running out    !
! Universitaet Oldenburg                               !   my Friends!    !
! [email-masked]           !   - W. Mews -    !
+------------------------------------------------------+------------------+

------------------------------

From: Matt Welsh <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Man pages
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1993 15:44:50 +0200

> From: [email-masked] (Michael K Johnson)
> 
> That's not what Rik is talking about, if I understood correctly.
> Wasn't he talking about putting an exploded man directory on
> ftp.cs.unc.edu for quick development?  I see nothing wrong with that,
> unless it is now politically incorrect to reduce the load on .fi's
> slow network link.  Major releases can be done in tar.Z form wherever
> and all over.  I'd like to have them on tsx-11:/pub/linux/docs/man
> because it is mirrored all over the globe, although I have absolutely
> no problems with putting them on nic as well.

Sure thing. I told Rik this last night; wherever you want to hold things is
great, the overseas link has been quite slow recently. I'd set up space here
but we don't have the disk to spare... 

Thanks guys for your man page work. :)

mdw

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Greenfie)
Subject: Re: Man pages
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1993 17:41:58 +0200

   That's not what Rik is talking about, if I understood correctly.
   Wasn't he talking about putting an exploded man directory on
   ftp.cs.unc.edu for quick development?  I see nothing wrong with that,
   unless it is now politically incorrect to reduce the load on .fi's
   slow network link.  Major releases can be done in tar.Z form wherever
   and all over.  I'd like to have them on tsx-11:/pub/linux/docs/man
   because it is mirrored all over the globe, although I have absolutely
   no problems with putting them on nic as well.

>From my perspective, putting the pages all the over on nic is a bad idea,
but I don't know who will be acessing these the most.  But more to the
point, the idea of an exploded man-tree is probably more useful than
tar.z's, since people might only want what changed. Being able to:

cd /linux/doc/man/man2

would be easier and more efficent. It also lets people see at a glance what
has and hasn't been written. One there's enough change/addition to justify
it, a tar can be made and uploaded all around. (Either in ALPHA or not,
depending on the status.)

Larry Greenfield
greenfie(ld)@gauss.rutgers.edu
        ^^^^ for better mailing, delete these characters

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------