Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-2-3-8:21
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1993 13:51:16 +0200

Topics:
	 Man pages

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael K Johnson)
Subject: Man pages
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1993 08:17:11 +0200

   I'd like to keep all LDP alpha docs (including alpha man pages) on
   ALPHA/doc-project on nic.funet.fi. Let's not split off man pages to
   cs.unc.edu--- I'd like everything in one place so I can say: "Here it is."
   Once you want to release man pages we upload them to tsx-11: docs/man and
   Sunsite.

That's not what Rik is talking about, if I understood correctly.
Wasn't he talking about putting an exploded man directory on
ftp.cs.unc.edu for quick development?  I see nothing wrong with that,
unless it is now politically incorrect to reduce the load on .fi's
slow network link.  Major releases can be done in tar.Z form wherever
and all over.  I'd like to have them on tsx-11:/pub/linux/docs/man
because it is mirrored all over the globe, although I have absolutely
no problems with putting them on nic as well.

ALPHA/doc-project is a little slow for quick development.  It simply
makes sense to put the man pages somewhere where a man page
coordinator can move them around easily, without having to drag arl
around all the time.  Nothing at all against arl: this "all in one
place regardless of the sense of it" argument just sounds too much
like beaurocracy to me.  Let the people who do it decide how they want
to do their development work.  Michael and Rik have done most of the
manual page writing, so let them decide where they want to keep the
docs, and how they want to do it.  Of course there will be releases in
all the correct normal places.

michaelkjohnson

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------