Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-1-24-12:45
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1993 16:55:59 +0200

Topics:
	 Re:  Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-1-23-23:51

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael Haardt)
Subject: Re:  Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-1-23-23:51
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1993 13:35:27 +0200

	From: [email-masked] (Eric Scharff)
	Subject: Man Project

	I was just wondering what was happening in the world of man pages, and what
	the relationship is (if any) between the Kernel documentation and the
	notable lack of man pages for section 2.

I was going to mail something to the list next time anyway.  I spent
quite some time on the manual pages in chapter 2 last time.  I added a
"CONFORMING TO" field, which can contain SVID, AT&T, POSIX, X/OPEN and
BSD 4.3.  About a quarter of all pages has it now, perhaps more.  I
corrected an incredible number of typos and formatting mistakes and
ordered all sections in the same way, as well as finishing my template
for manual pages.  I also folded quite some pages using Origami, so
editing becomes much easier for me.

However, it is a huge amount of work.  I am going to upload the current
set next time to provide all people with a new base.  I could *really*
need some help in the area of writing some new pages for itimers,
select, sockets, a.out and core format.  I have absolutely no
documentation about these, and no money for books right now.

I would like to resolve the links to seperate manual pages, if the
described system calls have no used structures in common and add SEE
ALSO tags.  I think the SEE ALSO section can be converted to hypertext
links later, which is the final goal in manual pages as it seems.  Any
comments?

Michael

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------