Subject: Linux-Activists - Channel DOC digest. 92-11-27-15:28
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1992 19:04:38 +0200

Topics:
	 linuxdoc.sty

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Fraser)
Subject: linuxdoc.sty
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1992 20:40:47 +0200

speaketh the Matt Welsh:
> Just wanted to let you all know that I'm busily writing the Install manual
> for Linux, and it seems to be going well. I want to seriously manipulate the
> linuxdoc.sty sheet (Michael, are you listening?). Basically I want the manual
> to print for 8.5x11" pages.

Don't forget the rest of the world ... some of us use A4 :-)

> [ ... ]
>
> This is mostly because I see most people getting the postscript or dvi file
> and printing it themselves on a normal laser printer, punching holes, and
> sticking it in a binder. The standard LaTeX book format doesn't look good

The other really nice usage would be to have it online browsable, ala Sun's
AnswerBook. For those of you that haven't had a change to play with this,
it lets you browse and print postscript copies the various sun manuals.
It comes with a finder tool which lets you do keyword searches and a previewer
which does hyper-text links between sections of the manuals (ie: you click
on a see also entry and it takes you to that page of that volume). It's 
basicly similar to GNU info, except it's inherently graphical, and the
displayed copies of the the pages look the same as the printed copies
(which is cute). Sigh, I'd honestly like to be able to offer to do it ....

Cheers,
--
Christopher Fraser      "First time surrealists are often confused by the
[email-masked]    similarities between fish and telephones"

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------