Subject: Linux-Activists - Channel DOC digest. 92-11-22-16:39
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1992 20:36:51 +0200

Topics:
	 Do Devices belong in "man" pages?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Rick Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Do Devices belong in "man" pages?
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1992 14:58:26 +0200

>From: [email-masked] (Michael Haardt)
>Subject: Chapter 4 manual pages
>Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1992 15:04:36 +0200
>
>As it seems, I am maintaining the roff manual pages.  Currently there is
>a device list FAQ, which can be easily replaced by appropiate manuals.
>Any comments about this example?  I first want to get all devices
>documented, then we can care about describing them more in detail.

["HD(4)" 'manual page' omitted]

This is *AWFUL*... and I'm not just saying that because I write the
Linux Device List!  That 'man page' did nothing but list the names of the
devices, with NO MENTION of what the major/minor numbers need to be for
specific partitions.

If I wanted to see that sort of info, I'd just "ls -la /dev/hd*".

BTW:  I've been a UNIX[tm] user for about seven years, and an avidly
        curious one at that... but I've never heard of "man" pages for
        device names.  Let's not get wierd here.  You just can't put
        *everything* in "man" pages.
--
Rick Miller   <[email-masked]> | <[email-masked]>   Ricxjo Muelisto
Occupation:  Husband, Father, WEPCo. WAN Mgr., Discus Sys0p, and  Linux fan

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------