Subject: Linux-Activists - DOC Channel digest. 93-9-19-1:26
From: "Linux Activists" <[email-masked]>
To: "Linux-Activists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1993 04:48:56 +0200

Topics:
	 on standard distributions

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Subject: on standard distributions
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1993 21:10:46 +0200

[I'm not cross-posting to FSSTND because I haven't been reading it.]

Specialized distributions have their place. Some people want a bells-n-whistles
system, some want bare-bones. For instance, I want everything on my development
system, but as little as possible on the system I am using as a dedicated
network router. Both are "Linux" systems.

The best solution would be for a "Standard Linux Distribution" to be used
as a base, or perhaps a reference, by people who create distributions such
as SLS and Slackware. However, having the filesystem standard available may
be enough for them, since if they don't follow the standard, all of this
documentation that you are producing will not be accurate. Uh-Oh, is this
a chicken-egg problem?

At some point I want to create a specialized distribution for amateur
radio operators. Others will want to create specialized distributions
for their own vertical markets. It would be nice if there were a
standard distribution that I could use as the base for that in such a
way that all of the LDP documentation would remain accurate and I would
only have to add an overview and documentation for the applications of
my particular vertical market.

	Bruce Perens

-
Bruce Perens KN6TX/AE [email-masked] 510-215-3502

------------------------------

End of DOC Digest
*****************
-------