Subject: [Imap-uw] [patch] mailutil password prompt and invalid mailbox names

From: Matt Selsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 21:03:11 -0400

I'm trying to move my mailboxes from our imap-2004a server to Cyrus 
imapd and I'm running into some problems.

$ mailutil transfer -merge prompt 
{uwash-host/tls/novalidate-cert/user=selsky} 
{cyrus-host/tls/novalidate-cert/user=selsky}
password:
password:
Invalid mailbox name
alternative name:

The attached patch changes the password prompt to also print the 
hostname when the username is specified on the command line.  Without 
the hostname, it could be confusing about which password is being 
prompted for.  The patch also tells the user which mailbox name is 
invalid so they have a basis for picking an alternate name.

Cheers,

-- 
Matt

_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 18:27:09 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you.  I have added the suggested text to the password prompt when 
there is no username prompt.

I did not add your printf() to the mail_create() failure, since mailutil 
already prints the server error message.  "Invalid name for mailbox" is 
the wrong text in any case, since all the client knows is that 
mail_create() failed but not why.  The only thing that an extra message 
could say is "Can't create mailbox" which likely duplicates what the 
server already said (and would with a UW server).

I consider the problem to be that the Cyrus server isn't issuing a useful 
message.  I suggest that you bring up the issue with the Cyrus 
maintainers.  They're good people, and I'm sure if you ask nicely they'll 
fix the message to be more informative.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw