Subject: MT mailboxes

From: Tom <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 15:38:19 -0700 (PDT)

How do I deliever mail into a MTX mailbox?  I recall a local delivery
program being talked about, but I can't find it.

Tom

---

From: "David L. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 12:40:36 -0700 (PDT)

I think you are looking for the tmail utility in

	ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap-utils.tar.Z

--DLM

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Tom wrote:

> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 15:38:19 -0700 (PDT)
> Sender: [email-masked]
> Precedence: bulk
> From: Tom <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: MT mailboxes
> X-Listprocessor-Version: 8.1 beta -- ListProcessor(tm) by CREN
> 
>

---

From: Tom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 18:20:29 -0700 (PDT)

> 	ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap-utils.tar.Z

  That's it.

  Now, if I don't care at all about backwards compatability, and NFS
will NOT be used, which mailbox format will be best for general imap and
pop use?  I belive that mtx is the best for this kind of thing, but I've
also seen mbx recommended.

Tom

---

From: David L Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 10:55:32 -0700 (PDT)

> also seen mbx recommended.

I would recommend mbx format at this point.  It is very similar to mtx
or tenex, but adds support for persistent UIDs and user-defined flags. 
It is also the format 60k+ users here at UW are pounding on daily, so
that is where most of Mark's optimization efforts may be focused ;-) 

If you have a significant number of shared mailboxes, you might also
want to explore mx format.  It has the benefit of allowing expunges
while multiple users have a mailbox open.  The big downside of it is
that it has miserable performance, due largely to its MH format (one
file per message) ancestry. 

-- 
David L. Miller <[email-masked]> | In the End, we will remember not
Software Engineer, Pine Development Team | the words of our enemies, but the
Box 354841, University of Washington     | silence of our friends. -- Martin
4545 15th Ave NE, Seattle WA 98105, USA  | Luther King, Jr.
Phone: (206)685-6240  FAX: (206)685-4045 |