Subject: connection pb with pine and outlook to imap server

From: Frederic Bongat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 08:12:52 +0100

helo,

I use a Imap Server (WU Imap-4.7)

My problem :

With pine client , when I left a session whitout working
I see this message :
[MAIL FOLDER "Server INBOX" CLOSED DUE TO ACCESS ERROR]

With outlook, I read this error message  (I translated french to english
it) :
Headers Folder don't finish to download.
Imap Server closed a connection. Connection stay too long without
working

Can you help me ?

Original french messages :
Le telechargement des en-tetes du dossier 'Boite de reception' n'est pas
termine.
Votre serveur IMAP a ferme la connexion.
Cela peut s'expliquer par une connexion restee trop longtemps inactive.
Compte : 'server'         Serveur : 'serveur'
Protocole : IMAP, reponse serveur :
'Lost mailbox Lock'     Port  : Securise SSL : non
Numero d'erreur : 0x800CCCDD

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:48:48 -0800 (PST)

> 'Lost mailbox Lock'     Port  : Securise SSL : non
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Lost mailbox lock" is the key to what happened.

Somehow, you opened more than one session to the mailbox at the same time.
You can only have one session at a time to a traditional UNIX-format mailbox.
When you opened the second session, it killed the first session, and that is
what caused the results in Pine and Outlook.

So, you need to find out what created the second session, and prevent it.

The most likely culprit is a "check for new mail" task.  See if you have a
background program that checks for new mail, or if some such option is turned
on by Outlook.  Either way, disable this "check for new mail".

---

From: Mike Trank <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:26:18 -0600 (CST)

Gee, I thought that more than one session is allowed.. The c-client seems
to handle it pretty well. When I have my Pine open and I simultaneously
access my INBOX with a program I wrote using c-client, Pine pops up a
message saying that the folder is being accessed by another program and
that now everthing is read-only.

Did you mean that we shouldnt have some other non-c-client program open
the folder at the same time as c-client?

Would not this problem be solved if Frederic uses your c-client based
inpop3d to get his mail from Outlook?

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:17:01 -0800 (PST)

> that now everthing is read-only.

However, as soon as the other program changes anything in the mailbox file,
Pine will probably crash.  That "read-only" only behaves reasonably until the
other program changes something.

The servers (imapd, ipop[23]d) give up immediately.

> the folder at the same time as c-client?

That's also a good idea.

> inpop3d to get his mail from Outlook?

No.  The best thing is just to avoid opening multiple connections to a mailbox
in the traditional UNIX format.  Traditional UNIX format has never handled
shared access.

---

From: Mike Trank <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:43:12 -0600 (CST)

> in the traditional UNIX format.  Traditional UNIX format has never handled

now that we are on that subject, can you point me to information about
converting a Unix server over to one of these more sophisticated mailbox
formats described in the docs in the imap software?

what exacly is involved? just changing the "procmail" program to something
else and being sure to use the c-client pop3 and imap and everything else?
Which is the best mailbox format to use?

---

From: Yiorgos Adamopoulos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 20:39:20 +0200

> formats described in the docs in the imap software?

If you decide that your users will view their messages only via IMAP check 
http://www.carumba.com/imap/

(although these patches may not fit you, they give you an idea ;-)
--
Yiorgos Adamopoulos, [email-masked]