Subject: mail_elt and mail_fetchstructure

From: Jay Bloodworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 13:27:02 -0400 (EDT)

I'm just getting started with c-client and in reading through Internal.DOC
I found a couple of statements in the documentation of mail_elt that don't
make sense to me.  I hope someone can clarify them for me.

>     This function returns the cache entry for the specified message.
>Although it will create a cache entry if it does not already exist,
>that functionality is for internal use only.  This function should
>never be called without having first called mail_fetchfast() or
>mail_fetchstructure() on the message first.

Call mail_fetchstructure before mail_elt.  Fine, that's clear, but later
it says:

>     Unless your application wants to look at cached envelopes and
>bodies even after the message is expunged or the stream is closed, it
>should not use mail_lelt().  Instead, it should use a returned elt from
>mail_elt() and use the elt->msgsno as the argument to
>mail_fetchstructure().

Huh?  If I'm using the return value of mail_elt to call
mail_fetchstructure, I have to call mail_elt first, contradicting what is
said above.

The larger question I have is what is the point of the elt structure
anyway?  Why is significant about the data that is stored there that it
needed to be separated out from the data returned by the mail_fetch*
functions?

Thanks,
Jay

+---------------------------------+------------------------------+
| Jay Bloodworth                  | [email-masked] |
| Network Technician              | Voice: (803) 734-7000        |
| SC Department of Education      | Fax: (803) 734-4064          |
+---------------------------------+------------------------------+

------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------