Subject: converting to mbx format....being lost

From: Darian Lanx <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 14:13:37 +0200

Hello all ;)
First of all, thanky ou for writing this peace of fine software, yet, even
 after reading the FAQ and all files supplied in the /doc dir I am not quite
 sure I have understood.

I compiled the current imapd snapshot and it works like a charm pop3 pop3s
 and imap as well as imaps all work just fine.

I am using a sendmail setup, which delivers to procmail, which then delivers
 to the users mailbox. I thought about using dmail to deliver directly to the
 propsed mbx format I read about in the files.

So I downloaded the imap tools, compiled and installed them, then read the
 man files.
Yet when I try to do something like this mbxcvt /var/spool/mail/$user INBOX
 (as the user name that owns the mailbox) I get "cannot create INBOX"

When I use mbxcvt /var/spoll/mail/$user INBOX I get
cannot create INBOX : undeterminate format.

I am honestly trying to understand, is INBOX just an alias, should I supply
 another value for it. Thank you for your patience and tips

-d
-- 
si vis pacem, para bellum
----
'Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move;
 Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love.
- Hamelt, Shakespear
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Andrej Borsenkow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:31:53 +0400

> cannot create INBOX : undeterminate format.

mbxcvt INBOX mbx ~/foo
mv ~/foo ~/INBOX

-andrej

---

From: Darian Lanx <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:44:10 +0200

Thank you andrej for your quick answer.
I have another question concerning the whole setup.

I presume, that the ipop3d daemon also reads the mbx File?
I am currently offering pop3s and imaps and I would like to keep it that 
way.

If I used dmail to deliver to the INBOX after all procmail filters have run, 
then both, pop3 and imap will be able to read and present the mail to the 
user?

The man page of dmail did not really clarify to me what it needs to run 
properly
When a program is called from a procmail recipe does that not imply, that it 
has the UID/GID of the parent program (in that case procmail).

since I did not install the program suid or sgid.

Also, is there a nice site where I could look up procmail rule, recipes for 
this?

Thank you for helping an imap newbie.

-d
- Hamelt, Shakespeare

---

From: "Andrej Borsenkow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:44:00 +0400

> I presume, that the ipop3d daemon also reads the mbx File?

Yes.

> then both, pop3 and imap will be able to read and present the mail to the

Yes.

> has the UID/GID of the parent program (in that case procmail).

Yes.

> since I did not install the program suid or sgid.

You should not.

> Also, is there a nice site where I could look up procmail rule,

Dunno.

#
# IMAP mailing lists
#

:0
* ([email-masked])|([email-masked])
{
    :0
     | /tools/bin/dmail +Incoming/imap
}

You have to create Incoming/imap beforehand of course.

-andrej