Subject: [Imap-uw] Authentication issue with OSX 10.4.2

From: Jeffrey Shawn Klotz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:51:21 -0700

I'm trying to complies imap-2004g(2004.89) on OSX 10.4.2 using "make oxp 
SSLTYPE=unix"
Compiles OK and ipop3d executes but will not authenticate.  Valid OSX 
users get "ERR Bad login"

I would also like to be able to compile using a passwd file for 
different system with same os version so email users would not need 
system accounts.

Can anyone point me in the right direction and let me know what I'm 
doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:57:44 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Jeffrey Shawn Klotz wrote:
> Compiles OK and ipop3d executes but will not authenticate.  Valid OSX users 
> get "ERR Bad login"

Have you set up a PAM authentication module for IMAP on /etc/pam.d ?

The OXP build (as opposed to OSX) uses PAM, and thus you have to create 
/etc/pam.d/imap and /etc/pam.d/pop files.

> I would also like to be able to compile using a passwd file for different 
> system with same os version so email users would not need system accounts.

The security model in UW imapd requires that each IMAP user have a unique 
UNIX UID.  It is possible to do a "virtual host" such as you suggest, but 
you will have to write code to do it (and enforce the security of your 
virutal host).

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw