Subject: Strange errors with dmail running on solaris....

From: Kevin Dwyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 14:28:05 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, I'm not sure if anyone has come across this issue but I'd
appreciate any input.  Basically I compiled the most recent copy of IMAP
from ftp.cac.washington.edu and then compiled the imap-utils.  Both
compilations finish fine, but when I try running dmail +INBOX it finds the
mbx inbox I have created, verifies it as an mbx file, and tries to append
to it.  It then crashes with very unhelpful output.  Here is a
transcript from syslog:

May 11 10:58:46 roundtable dmail[2611]: delivering to kevin+INBOX
May 11 10:58:46 roundtable dmail[2611]: Verifying safe delivery to /export/home/kevin/INBOX
May 11 10:58:46 roundtable dmail[2611]: mbx appending to #driver.mbx/INBOX (file /export/home/kevin/INBOX)
May 11 10:58:46 roundtable dmail[2612]: IMAP toolkit crash: error reading message
May 11 10:58:46 roundtable dmail[2611]: IMAP toolkit crash: Unknown event from execution process

I can't find any mention of these errors anywhere so I'm at a bit of a
loss.  One thing to note is that I verified that this same setup will work
when compiled on a Linux 2.4.4 box.  The box that I am having the trouble
on is a Solaris 7 installation with gcc.  I tried it using gcc 2.95.2
32-bit, gcc 2.95.3 32-bit and 64-bit.  If anybody has a suggestion please
let me know ASAP.  Thanks alot.

-kevin

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 12:31:44 -0700 (PDT)

Your dmail problem is occuring in code which is relatively new in the IMAP
toolkit for SVR4-based systems such as Solaris or AIX.

I tested dmail on AIX (we don't have any Solaris systems here) with the new
code and I was not able to reproduce the problem; dmail worked as expected.
So, either something is wrong with how you built the software; there is some
Solaris-specific issue that I am unaware of; or your usage of dmail exercises
a problem in a way that my testing did not.

The first error message that you got seem to indicate that an unexpected end
of file condition happened on a pipe.  Supposedly, this is impossible.  The
second error message is even more "impossible"; it indicates a communication
protocol error.  This all leads me to question if, somehow, the software isn't
being correctly compiled.

Can you provide me with access to your system so that I can reproduce the
problem and debug it?