Subject: Eudora/ipop problem

From: Tom Combs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:06:57 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

 This is probably a Eudora problem and the premise is lame anyway because
 this set up should use imap instead of pop but I'll ask anyway...
 
 When using Eudora set for
      -pop
      -leave the messages on the server
   or -delete after X days
   
 the deleted email is not removed from the server.
 
 Is there a configuration setting for ipopd to get this to work correctly?
 It does work for outlook under the same scenerio so I doubt the problem
 is on the server side.
 
 I know that people should be using imap if they want to leave it on the
 server and I will steer them in that direction. We just have a bunch
 of people using the above for some unknown reason and it will take
 awhile to get them to change.
 
 Thanks,   Tom Combs

--
Tom Combs                                      E-mail: [email-masked]
National High Magnetic Field Laboratory        Phone:  (850) 644-1657
1800 E. Paul Dirac Drive                       Tallahassee, FL 32310

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:06:56 -0800 (PST)

There is no such thing as "delete after X days" in the POP3 protocol.  Nor 
does POP3 have an IMAP-style "mark for deletion but don't delete yet" flag 
that persists across sessions.

You are correct, the users in question should use IMAP instead of POP3.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.