Subject: C-Client API Documentation?

From: William Suetholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 16:05:11 -0500 (CDT)

I'm sure I saw some documentation for the C-Client API somewhere..
Can anybody tell me where?  I have imap-4.4 installed.  

Also, I need the ability to add in some X- headers.  I need X-Priority,
X-ANI, and X-Subscriber which I'd like to put into the first part of a
Multipart MIME message.  Pine currently achieves this by using it's own
versions of some of the RFC822 functions..  Isn't there a way that the
C-Client could be made configurable enough so that pine wouldn't have to
do that?  One of the things that pine does, is it puts a quick paragraph
in the first MIME part that sayes it's a MIME message.

Should I instead of trying to use a bodypart for the additional headers, 
add in a additional_header field to the envelope structure, that can
have as many lines of additional fields as the MUA designer wants?

Thanks for your time.

Bill Suetholz

------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 15:34:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 16:05:11 -0500 (CDT), William Suetholz wrote:
> Isn't there a way that the
> do that?

The rfc822_header() code in c-client's rfc822.c module is considered to be
"sample" or "model" code.  It turns out that most programs want to do enough
custom things with their headers that they end up doing their own thing
anyway.

It is definitely under consideration to make c-client more configurable in
this area.  There are several matters with mail sending that are not up to
par.  Among other things, the reuse of the BODY struct in incompatible ways
from mail reading is a kludge and one that trips up people all the time.

---

From: Karsten Ballueder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 09:24:04 +0100 (BST)

> have as many lines of additional fields as the MUA designer wants?

I have a tiny patch against c-client source which allows to add
arbitrary header lines.

-- 
 Karsten Ballüder http://Ballueder.home.ml.org/ mailto:[email-masked]
Physics Department, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS, Scotland
            "In a world without fences, who needs Gates?"