Subject: WinNT listener for UW IMAPd

From: "Rubinstein, Dmitry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 18:11:58 +0200

Hi!

I have a question or 2 regarding <subj>.

I downloaded Mark's listener and tried to play with it a bit. I noticed,
that it spawns 3 threads and 1 process per each new session. It seems a bit
wasteful (if avoidable). Is there a way to avoid creating any new threads,
and just spawning a new imapd process? I guess, some modifications to the
imapd are due, such as running WSAStartup(...). I'm pretty sure one can do
with a single thread per session (by doing a WaitOnMultipleObjects on both
input and output pipes) at a cost of making the connection 'half duplex'
(you can't read and write simultaneously). I'm positive one can do with only
2 threads per session at no cost at all (by making the 'server' thread also
an 'ithread' or 'othread'). Any input on all of this?

Has anyone successfully worked with this listener? Made an NT service out of
it? Measured performance?

Is there any other listener out there? 

Has anyone considered making the imapd itself multithreaded? I think, that
the benefits are obvious: currently the imapd runs in the 'process per
session' mode. That makes the work in online mode practically infeasible,
especially for heavily loaded servers. Since IMAP session is inactive most
of the time, a limited number of threads can take care of much larger number
of sessions, significantly reducing the load on the server.

So far for the 'question or 2' ;-).

TIA,

--
Dmitry Rubinstein  <*>

Home: (972)-8-8647229
Cell: (972)-53-428979
[email-masked]
http://www.wisdom.weizmann.ac.il/~dimrub
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------