Subject: more c-client sugg's

From: Mike Macgirvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1993 09:50:16 -0800 (PST)

It would be a little less disconcerting to users if they didn't get the
message "Mailbox is empty" when opening the pseudo mailbox "<no_mailbox>" for 
CREATE/DELETE/RENAME when called with a NIL mailstream. They don't know that it
is this pseudo mailbox which is being reported, instead of their mailbox 
target. In the case of a rename, it can lead to premature heart failure. Even 
on a create/delete, they are told "Mailbox is empty" -prior- to the success 
message. In our application, we now allow an auto create on mailbox 
"subscription". Where somebody is just subscribing a known existant mailbox, it
again can lead to coronary arrest, because the create should fail, but they 
aren't expecting it to say anything about being empty.... Now -we- know it's 
not `their' empty mailbox, but they don't. I also can't easily filter these 
messages at the application level, because there are other instances where it 
is important to know the mailbox is empty.

mike

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1993 10:34:40 -0800 (PST)

Mike -

     In the next version of IMAP toolkit 3.1, half-open IMAP opens will
not report the ``Mailbox is empty'' condition.  You can make this fix to
your own copy by looking for where the message is generated in
c-client/imap2.c and adding stream->halfopen to the OR along with
stream->silent. 

     Present estimate of a new toolkit 3.1 is later this week.  There is 
a fairly major redesign of mailbox driver selection logic that is almost 
finished, modulo the handling of empty mailboxes and non-existant INBOXes 
which still isn't set up perfectly for the new world.

-- Mark --