Subject: message status

From: James Medley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:42:09 -0500

Hello All: I have installed the postfix enabler on a Mac G5 OS 
10.3.5. The postfix enabler uses the UW-IMAP for imap and pop3 
services. I would like to know if I can make a change so that a 
message will show as unread when downloaded to more than one 
computer. I download my email at work and at home and I would like it 
to show as unread at both locations. Is there a way to accomplish 
this? Thanks, Jim
-- 

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Niklas Fondberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:16:35 +0200

James and all,
I will try to explain this after the best of my knowledge.

The read/unread flags are set  on the server in the imap case. In the 
pop3 scenario most clients stores a copy locally and removes the new 
ones from the server. It is possible to retrieve messages from the pop3 
server without having to delete them and most clients support this. To 
accomplish a read/unread flag in a client in the latter case is client 
side implementation dependant.

So in both cases it would be possible to achieve the behaviour you're after.
However, this is something that has to be done in the software client 
using the uw-client library routines.

-- 
Niklas Fondberg
Development Manager, User Interfaces

James Medley wrote:

> Hello All: I have installed the postfix enabler on a Mac G5 OS 10.3.5. 
> The postfix enabler uses the UW-IMAP for imap and pop3 services. I 
> would like to know if I can make a change so that a message will show 
> as unread when downloaded to more than one computer. I download my 
> email at work and at home and I would like it to show as unread at 
> both locations. Is there a way to accomplish this? Thanks, Jim