Subject: Drive Scans

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 19:28:21 -0800

Every time i am trying to subsrive to the mailbox that resides on the
linux server running imap-2000
Outlook scans the whole system for the mailboxes. Is there any way to
stop it from doing that.
It takes a really long time ......

igor

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Andrej Borsenkow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:58:35 +0300

> It takes a really long time ......

Root was always a very bad choice for home directory ... or do you mean your
_home_ directory when you say "whole system"? That is by design.

-andrej

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 23:09:27 -0800

root ? i didn't not say anything about root.
it is scanning the whole system as
far as it could read.
I am logging in from outlook as a regular user, not root (can root login
through imap ?)
so i stopped it when it told me that 125000 files and folders scanned and was
still going...
in the list of scanned files i saw /etc/, /usr/local/, /tmp,
/export/home/my_home_dir
I am fine with $HOME since this is how it is supposed to work, but the rest of
them....
it is also scanning .netscape/cache which is not small....

can i setup $IMAP_DIR or something ?

I have a NetBSD box which works like it is supposed to...
It is scanning ONLY $HOME.....

---

From: "Andrej Borsenkow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 11:20:04 +0300

> it is scanning the whole system as

It _should_ scan only your home directory. If your home directory is set to
`/' - that is root - it will scan the whole system.

> I am logging in from outlook as a regular user, not root (can root login

I did not mean "log in as root". I meant "filesystem root", root directory.

> I am fine with $HOME since this is how it is supposed to work, but

Again - it _should_ scan only your home directory. Could you please be more
specific about your setup?

> it is also scanning .netscape/cache which is not small....

It is supposed to. You can either recompile imapd or use unsupported config
file to turn dot-files off.

> can i setup $IMAP_DIR or something ?

In Outlook 2000 you can set "IMAP folder root". You can recompile imapd to
change its behaviour. Both are official methods. Again, you can use
unsupported config file to change folder location.

> It is scanning ONLY $HOME.....

When imapd is invoked from inetd, no $HOME is defined. It looks in
/etc/profile to find your home directory. Possible cases for your problem are:

- your home dir is set to `/' in /etc/profile
- you have symlink to `/' somewhere in your home
- bug in imapd (but I use the same version and it works; so far you are the
only person who has this problem)
- bug in particualr binary you are using. Have you compiled from source or
used some binary distro?

-andrej

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 07:29:59 -0800

I've beens using linux for a few years now and i've never heard of people setting
up their
homedir as /. To me this sounds really stupid. The only OS i've seen it is
happening on is Solaris and / is the home of the user root.
just like i said, my home directory is

/export/home/my_user_name

I did the default install except that i compiled it with OpenSSL.
My NetBSD box has no OpenSSL and NO problems with scanninig everything under /.
But for some reason i do not think that this is ssl related issue....

Anyhow,
can you tell me a little more about _unsupported_ config file that will turn off
all the dot files ?
or what do i have to disable in the source in order to get the same no_dot_files
result ?

And yes, i know that you can set the forlder in outlook, but the problem is that
i am
wrting a web based mail package in php and i want it to scan for the users
mailboxes
and give user a list, but since it is scanning everything the page just times
out.....

And yes, i compiled it from source few times.
I am not big fan of rpms......

Why would it look in /etc/profile for my home dir ?
Why would /etc/profile have this info ?
OR you meant /etc/passwd ?
if that is what you meant then /etc/passwd is set exactly the way it is supposed
to be setup

I will recopile it without OpenSLL today and will let you know if it fixed the
problem.

igor