Subject: RES: imap: How to avoid folder creation?

From: "Luiz Fernando Ewald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:27:02 -0300

Erik Kangas, Ph.D. wrote:
> > > Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:
> > > >
> > > > You can f.ex synchronize your folders between various workstations. Which
> > > > you can't with POP.
> > >
> > > YES you are right _folders_. BUT the orginal poster wanted only the
> > > INBOX to be available to the users. They should not be able to create
> > > other folders. And I say that only having a writeable INBOX (via imap)
> > > does only bring confusion to the users. Mildly put that's "non-sense".
> > 
> > You missunderstand - you can synchronize _locations_. I can copy a message
> > from my inbox at home to the inbox at my provider and from there to the
> > inbox at work and vice versa. Which is useful, since the mail is
> > following you then and not the other way round. And since you can automate
> > that quite nicely you don't even have to spend any attention on it.
> > *t
>
> I suppose an easy way to prevent the users from making / using folders
> is to make sure that they do not have write permission to their root
> folder path, if that is possible given you system and user usage requirements.

This alternative I have already realized and is feasible. The only fault
reside in that the user receive a "permission denied" error. It should be
better if simply it would't be presented to the users the possibility of
creating folders.

I was carefully "listening" to the debate. Disregarding all possible
"non-sense" in adopting the imap solution, nobody have yet mentioned
if there are differences of performance between the imap and the pop3
alternatives, considering the UW implementation.

By now, I thank all the contributions and I'm looking forward any
consideration someone can do on the issue stated in the previous
paragraph.

Best regards.

Luiz F Ewald
Support and Network Division
Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------