Subject: Suppressing syslog entries by tmail

From: "Master" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:59:54 -0400

Every time tmail delivers mail it writes six lines to syslog. How can I 
suppress this. The tmail is invoked from sendmail.cf using these commands
----------
Mlocal,         P=/var/local/imap/tmail/tmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qPn9,
                S=10/30, R=20/40, E=\r\n, T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                A=tmail $u
-------
Here are the log enteries for each dilivery
------------------
delivering to master+INBOX
Verifying safe delivery to /home/master/INBOX by UID 204
mbx appending to #driver.mbx/INBOX (file /home/master/INBOX)
delivered to /home/master/INBOX
Verifying safe delivery to /home/master/INBOX by UID 204
all recipients delivered
-----------------------------
Mohammed Master
University of Ottawa 
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: David B Funk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 16:29:20 -0500 (CDT)

> suppress this. The tmail is invoked from sendmail.cf using these commands
[stuff omitted]

These are tmail's debugging logging (look for the routine 'mm_dlog'
in the tmail source). Those lines are passed to the syslog routine with
the 'LOG_MAIL' facility at the 'LOG_DEBUG' level. 
You could modify the source and remove that syslog call or you could
modify the way that you collect the "syslog" information.

One thing that I've found useful, set up your "syslog.conf" file so
that you collect two mail log files, one at the 'debug' level and
the second at the 'info' level. Set up a cron job to periodically
shrink or empty out the debug log file.

That way you will have the info file for routine mail transaction
logging and the debug log for a short time if you need to deal with
a system problem.
The 'shrinkfile' utility from the INN news kit is a nice
tool for truncating logs that you only want to keep the end of.

Example lines from syslog.conf file:

mail.debug              /var/adm/syslog/mail.debug
mail.info		/var/adm/syslog/mail.log

Then run a daily cron job to shrink or truncate
"/var/adm/syslog/mail.debug"

-- 
Dave Funk                                  University of Iowa
<dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu>        College of Engineering
319/335-5751   FAX: 319/384-0549           1256 Seamans Center
Sys_admin/Postmaster/cell_admin            Iowa City, IA 52242-1527
#include <std_disclamer.h>
Better is not better, 'standard' is better. B{