Subject: [Imap-uw] Multipart/Alternative

From: Marc Blank <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:34:35 -0700

Hi, Mark et al.

If an IMAP server has a bodystructure like this:

* 1 FETCH (BODYSTRUCTURE ((("text" "plain" ("charset" "utf-8") NIL NIL 
"Quoted-Printable" 5685 142 NIL NIL NIL)("text" "html" ("charset" 
"utf-8") NIL NIL "Quoted-Printable" 37569 862 NIL NIL NIL) "alternative" 
("boundary" "Part-Message-Boundary-by-Mail-Sender-1122149961_2") NIL 
NIL)("application" "pdf" ("name" "WPJLAS_20050723221918_E_email.pdf") 
NIL "Itinerary WPJLAS" "Base64" 45778 NIL ("attachment" ("filename" 
"WPJLAS.pdf")) NIL) "related" ("boundary" 
"Message-Boundary-by-Mail-Sender-1122149961") NIL NIL))
a8 OK FETCH completed

Would I expect the length of body[1] to be the sum of the alternative 
parts (e.g. 5685 + 37569 in this example)?

Thanks,

Marc
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:41:35 -0700

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Marc Blank wrote:
> Would I expect the length of body[1] to be the sum of the alternative parts 
> (e.g. 5685 + 37569 in this example)?

I'll have to look at this more closely (I'm on a slow circuit right now) 
to be certain; but offhand I would say "no".  If you fetch a raw 
multipart, you get all the overhead in that multipart (MIME headers, 
boundary delimiters) in addition to the component parts.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw