Subject: utf8_mime2text result

From: Emmanuel Sellier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 19:00:07 +0100

Hello,

I have a iso8859-1 string to convert to a simple ascii string.
I use utf8_mime2text function (mime string is set in SIZEDTEXT using
cpytxt).
in the resulting SIZEDTEXT->data string, all characters under 127 are ok,
but all accentuated characters are coded on two bytes? what is the coding?
how can i simply convert this string to a signed-char array?

Thanks
Emmanuel
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:06:43 -0800 (PST)

> I have a iso8859-1 string to convert to a simple ascii string.

What do you mean by that?  ISO-8859-1 is not representable in "simple ASCII."

> but all accentuated characters are coded on two bytes? what is the coding?

Unicode, in UTF-8 encoding.

> how can i simply convert this string to a signed-char array?

What do you mean by that?

---

From: Mark Elvers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 22:54:20 +0000 (GMT)

There is an excellent FAQ on UTF-8 and Unicode by Markus Kuhn at

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

which will explain the encoding of the UTF-8 strings and

--mte