Subject: how to set the recent flag

From: "Matteo Gelosa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 19:32:11 +0100

I've implemented a new driver of the IMAP server for a database
implementation
and I cannot understand when the recent flag must be set to false for new
messages... I've read the RFC on recent, but still I have some doubts.

Should I set the flag to false at the mailbox synchronization? Any help
will be appreciated...

Thanks in advance,
Matteo Gelosa

--
Matteo Gelosa                                             I.NET S.p.A.
Research & Development      Via Darwin, 85 - 20019 Settimo Milanese MI
mailto:[email-masked]                            Tel. +39.02.32863.1
http://www.inet.it                               Fax +39.02.32863.7701

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 10:40:48 -0800 (PST)

The recent flag should be set when a message is deposited in a mailbox.

The first time that that message is read, the recent flag is cleared in the
mailbox but it remains set in the session.

Most servers implement recent differently from other flags.  One server
doesn't have a recent flag at all, but instead notes the mailbox file's last
read date/time when it opens the mailbox; any message with an internaldate
after that date/time is recent.  Another server maps the recent flag to the
"O" status of a traditional UNIX mailbox file; that same server has an
equivalent to the "O" status in the other mailbox formats it supports.