Subject: smtp-issues

From: Jochen Garcke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:04:19 +1100

Hi,

the two routines

void smtp_debug (SMTPSTREAM *stream);
void smtp_nodebug (SMTPSTREAM *stream);

which are mentioned in the docs and are prototyped in smtp.h are not 
declared in smtp.c or anywhere else as far as I can see. (using imap-2004a)

I guess they do not much more then setting debug on/off for the stream.

Another thing, in pine there exist options like
disable-these-authenticators
to overcome problems with certain smtp-servers.

I have similiar issues which one smtp-server where the CRAM-MD5 
authentication doesn't work for me, but the Login over a SSL-connection 
works.

But the CRAM-MD5 gets tried first, so I always get asked the password.

Can I somehow disable the CRAM-MD5 authentication for a SMTP-Stream 
using c-client (like pine does) ?

Thanks,
   Jochen
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 23:10:59 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Jochen Garcke wrote:
> which are mentioned in the docs and are prototyped in smtp.h are not declared 
> in smtp.c or anywhere else as far as I can see. (using imap-2004a)

You are correct; this was never implemented as it was decided not to do 
debugging this way.

> Can I somehow disable the CRAM-MD5 authentication for a SMTP-Stream using 
> c-client (like pine does) ?

It's the DISABLE_AUTHENTICATOR function of mail_parameters(), e.g.
 	mail_parameters (NIL,DISABLE_AUTHENTICATOR,(void *) "CRAM-MD5");

Note that this is a global setting.  You should only use this as a 
workaround, and instead convince the manager of the SMTP server to fix 
their server.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

---

From: Jochen Garcke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 10:45:53 +1100

> workaround, and instead convince the manager of the SMTP server to fix 

Thanks, works nicely.
Still will try to get the people to fix the SMTP server...

Jochen