Subject: What's the best way to create new INBOXs in mbx format?

From: "Martyn Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:00:19 +0100

Dear list

Having played with IMAP-UW on our FreeBSD 4.5 server on a few test users, I
am now planning to roll out the first phase of email accounts for the
teachers at our school (around 35.)

While they will have valid UNIX accounts, they will not get shell login
access, but will log in to samba-tng from their windows clients. They will
be using either Prayer web-mail or Microsoft Outlook as their email client
(I have still to get Prayer to install correctly.)

What is the most efficient method of pre-creating their INBOXs in mbx
format? Can I simply 'clone' an empty mbx INBOX file during the creation of
their UNIX accounts/home directories or must I use the mail tool to create
each one individually?

Thanks in advance.

Martyn Hill
Network Administrator
St James Independent School
London

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 10:12:20 -0700 (PDT)

> their UNIX accounts/home directories or must I use the mail tool to create

Either way will work satisfactorily.  Use whichever you prefer.

The only issue with cloning is that the clone will have the same
UIDVALIDITY.  So you have to be careful not to re-create a user name that
is the same as one that existed before.  So that's a slight benefit to
using mailutil instead of the clone, but probably not a big deal.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.