Subject: imap-2000 and mailbox drivers

From: Friedrich Lobenstock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 17:05:53 +0200 (CEST)

Hi!

While browsing the source code of imap-2000 I found that the
imap-server itself includes the following mailbox drivers.

  mail_link (&imapdriver);              /* link in the imap driver */
  mail_link (&nntpdriver);              /* link in the nntp driver */
  mail_link (&pop3driver);              /* link in the pop3 driver */

Now, how can I get imapd to speek to an other imap, nntp or pop3
server in the background, so I'd just see another folder?
Is it possible to do it with netscape mail as mail client or are those
special features only supported in special clients.

-- 
MfG / Regards
Friedrich Lobenstock
____________________________________________________________________
Friedrich Lobenstock         FL226-RIPE             Internetservices
URL: http://www.fl.priv.at/                     Email: [email-masked]
____________________________________________________________________

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 22:59:03 -0700 (PDT)

> server in the background, so I'd just see another folder?

Give the IMAP server a c-client format mailbox name.  Note that the IMAP
server probably won't be able to log in to another IMAP server or a POP3
server unless the password is the same as the one that you used to log into
the IMAP server (and if you used a method such as CRAM-MD5, it probably won't
work at all).  So, the proxy feature is most useful for NNTP.

For example:
	tag SELECT "{nntp.blurdybloop.com/nntp}comp.mail.misc"

In Pine, you might have a mailbox looking like:
	{imap.blurdybloop.com}{nntp.blurdybloop.com/nntp}comp.mail.misc

The main reason why you'd want to do this is that this way, the .newsrc file
is on the server so if you use multiple clients, you would have synchronized
news reading state.

---

From: Friedrich Lobenstock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:36:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Mark Crispin wrote:

> The main reason why you'd want to do this is that this way, the
> .newsrc file is on the server so if you use multiple clients, you
> would have synchronized news reading state.

When I do it this way pine tells me that the folder is readonly and I
can't see the server create a .newsrc file. I have to admit that I use
the patched imap-2000 server which supports virtual mail domains. Could
that be the cause? Or my pine 4.21?

Often I get 
  [rsh to IMAP server timed out]
then pine opens the folder an prints 
  [Folder "at.anzeigen.computer.pc" opened with 2,724 messages READONLY]

-- 
MfG / Regards
Friedrich Lobenstock

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:18:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Friedrich Lobenstock wrote:
> can't see the server create a .newsrc file.

The folder being readonly is normal.

The .newsrc file won't get created until you delete some messages and
close the newsgroup.

>   [rsh to IMAP server timed out]

Set rsh-timeout=0 in your .pinerc to disable rimap and this message will
go away.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.

---

From: Friedrich Lobenstock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 19:21:16 +0200 (CEST)

> The .newsrc file won't get created until you delete some messages and

If I press D to delete a message in such folder I get
  [Can't delete message.  Folder is read-only.]

If I enter a message the new flag is gone, then quit pine and restart
it and the message I once read is still there flagged as new.

BTW server is imap-2000c might that be the cause?

-- 
MfG / Regards
Friedrich Lobenstock

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 22:13:40 -0700 (PDT)

>   [Can't delete message.  Folder is read-only.]

Set it up as a news-collection and it will work.

I'll find a Pine bug report about the general case.

---

From: Friedrich Lobenstock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:11:16 +0200 (CEST)

> Set it up as a news-collection and it will work.

I already did before, but I wanted to test the imap server builtin
driver.

-- 
MfG / Regards
Friedrich Lobenstock

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:41:48 -0700 (PDT)

> I already did before, but I wanted to test the imap server builtin

You could set up the NNTP-via-IMAP as a news-collection in Pine, and it will
work, e.g.

news-collections=News {imap.foo.com}{nntp.foo.com/nntp}[]

---

From: Friedrich Lobenstock <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 00:44:37 +0200 (CEST)

> news-collections=News {imap.foo.com}{nntp.foo.com/nntp}[]

OK, I did
 news-collections=news.austria.eu.net {mail.DOMAIN.at}{news.austria.eu.net/nntp}[]

and that was not really fun because pine gets the whole list of
available newsgroups. It takes a long time formating the scrolltext
for 41740 groups every time - no chance to subscribe to or
unsubscribe from newsgroups. BTW no .newsrc file on the IMAP server
side this time either. Also not possible to "delete" a mesage in a
newsgroup or to flag it as read. Am I just acting stupid, or what?  

I just see that there's an update rpm for pine 4.3. We'll see what
happens with that.

-- 
MfG / Regards
Friedrich Lobenstock

---

From: Friedrich Lobenstock <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 01:26:04 +0200 (CEST)

>  news-collections=news.austria.eu.net {mail.DOMAIN.at}{news.austria.eu.net/nntp}[]

Now with pine 4.30 instead of the old 4.21 I entered this via its new
config menu:
folder-collections=Mail Mail/[],
  news.austria.eu.net {mail.DOMAIN.at}{news.austria.eu.net/nntp}at.anzeigen.computer.[]

This works to speed things up but I seem to not be able to get the
imap server create a .newsrc file this time either.

-- 
MfG / Regards
Friedrich Lobenstock