Subject: Eudora 5.1

From: Matt Soccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 15:34:22 -0400

I am running uw-imap 2001 with openssl and a self-signed cert.  I am
trying to get Eudora 5.1 to talk to the server using the Alternate Port
method with no luck.  I get the error that the IMAP command fails
because the connection to the server has been broken on the client end. 
I see in my mail logs that there is an SSL initiation from the host, but
the usual authentication information does not follow.  I have
regenerated my cert a couple times to see if the Common Name entry made
a difference, but it does not.

Eudora's documentation does tell me which Alternate Port they are using,
so I have to assume 993, and it also does not give any information about
how it validates certs, so I was wondering if anyone has gotten Eudora
to work on an IMAP/SSL setup.

Thanks
-- 
Matt Soccio             Manager, Network and Information Systems 
Penn State University   Dept. of Astronomy and Astrophysics
445 Davey Lab           814-863-4465
[email-masked]    www.astro.psu.edu
 
                            ("\''/").___..--'''"-._
                            `9_ 9  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)
                            (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'
                          _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' .'
                         ((il).-''  ((i).'  ((!.-'
 
                            We are........Penn State
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 13:10:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 24 May 2001 15:34:22 -0400, Matt Soccio wrote:
> the usual authentication information does not follow.

What is the IP address of the server system?  Is it accessible from the open
Internet?  If so, I could do a few diagnostic tests and see if the server is
set up.

If you want to do so yourself, see if you can access the server from the mtest
program, or at least from openssl's s_client.

---

From: David B Funk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 15:34:16 -0500 (CDT)

> Internet?  If so, I could do a few diagnostic tests and see if the server is

We're having the exact same issue with Eudora 5.1 and our UW-IMAP
server. Other SSL-ized clients such as Netscape and PC-Pine work
just fine, so I don't think that it's a server problem.
(Yes, I've verified that the clients are speaking SSL to port 993).

-- 
Dave Funk                                  University of Iowa
<dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu>        College of Engineering
319/335-5751   FAX: 319/384-0549           1256 Seamans Center
Sys_admin/Postmaster/cell_admin            Iowa City, IA 52242-1527
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
Better is not better, 'standard' is better. B{