Subject: pine submissions

From: [email-masked] (Mark J. Bailey [HOME])
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 1995 00:04:38 -0500 (CDT)

hello

pine people

versions of pine on unix that use c-client

i know that typically dos-based (and probably a few others) c-client clients
use SMTP to submit a message to the IMAP server for further delivery.  i 
know most windows and dos-based pop clients do this as well.

but how about unix pine?  since most unix hosts that run pine have sendmail
(or similar), and since I think I understand that on unix hosts pine will make
use of such, when running in imap mode via c-client, does pine send all 
submissions to the imap server over smtp (via, say, a hand out to sendmail)
OR do unix based pine clients call sendmail and leave it to the local host
to send it "best way" (ie, direct over smtp to destination)?  ie, does pine
hand it to sendmail with no mods to the address(es) of the recipients (such
as mods that would send to, say, and imap server FIRST much like dos and
windows clients do)?  is it one way or the other or possibly both?

thanks,

Mark

---

From: David L Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 17:30:39 -0700 (PDT)

The default for Unix Pine is to use the local sendmail program, but it
will make an SMTP connection directly if you set smtp-server in the
Setup/Config.  Note that the IMAP and SMTP services are completely
independent and are not necessarily handled by the same machine.

|\ |  |\/|  David L. Miller    [email-masked]  (206) 685-6240
|/ |_ |  |  Software Engineer, Pine Development Team   (206) 685-4045 (FAX)
University of Washington, Networks & Distributed Computing, JE-20
4545 15th Ave NE, Seattle WA 98105, USA

On Sun, 24 Sep 1995, Mark J. Bailey [HOME] wrote:

> Date: Sun, 24 Sep 1995 00:04:38 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Mark J. Bailey [HOME] <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: pine submissions
>
> hello
>
> pine people
>