Subject: CRAM-MD5 password database supplanting /etc/password's password

From: Joseph Pingenot <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 17:25:46 -0500

Hello.

Reading through the documentation for imapd, it seems that, if the
  CRAM-MD5 password database exists, then the passwords for LOGIN also
  are taken from this (experimental evidence confirms this).  Is there
  an easy way to have LOGIN use the passwords from /etc/password (or
  preferably from PAM), and at the same time have the CRAM-MD5 
  authentcation use /etc/cram-md5.pwd?
If not, would this be a worthwhile project, and, if so, should I send
  patches to this list?
Thanks!

                              -Joseph
-- 
Joseph Pingenot==========================================[email-masked]
Student Unix Systems Administrator,                  Tel: +1 785 532 3517
Computing and Networking Services,                   Fax: +1 785 532 3515      
Kansas State University
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:49:13 -0700 (PDT)

>   authentcation use /etc/cram-md5.pwd?

No, there isn't, and this is intentional.  Otherwise, a user would have two
passwords, and he wouldn't know which one to enter when his client prompts him
for it.

It used to be the other way, and caused terrible confusion.