Subject: imap-2000 status

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 20:30:08 -0700 (PDT)

This is to update on the status of imap-2000.

I went on a one-month vacation immediately after the release of imap-2000
Release Candidate 3 (RC3).  In the time that I was gone, sufficient problems
were reported to necessitate another release candidate.

I am working on release candidate 4 now, and hope to make it available on the
UW FTP server some time next week.  I'm alpha-testing it now.

If anyone has encountered any of the following crashes in imap-2000 RC3:
	header size inconsistent
	text size inconsistent
	file size inconsistent
I am *very* interested in hearing from you.  I just fixed a previously unknown
problem that was causing "header size inconsistent" and may also cause the
other two conditions.

These crashes will only happen with mailboxes in the traditional UNIX mailbox
format.  All known cases to date have occurred due to spurious CR (\015)
characters in the file.  There shouldn't be any CRs in traditional UNIX
mailboxes; thus, you can fix the problem by editing the file and removing any
carriage returns.  But please preserve a copy of the affected mailbox before
you do this, and forward that copy (as a MIME attachment) to me for analysis.
I am determined to exterminate this problem, and I need your help.

This should not deter you from trying out imap-2000.  There are NO known
problems in any imap-2000 release candidate which are not also present in
imap-4.7, and imap-2000 fixes several known problems in imap-4.7.

If you are still running imap-4.7 (or earlier), before reporting a problem
please test the problem in imap-2000 to see if it hasn't already been fixed.
This is my normal plea in any case ("try the newest version before reporting a
bug"), but it's particularly important now when I'm trying to clear a month's
backlog of mail.

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------