Subject: imapd hangs on selecting mailbox

From: Michael Bayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:34:28 +0200

Hello,

I'm currently setting up uw-imapd on a debian woody box and have the
following problem:

After user authentification goes OK, the imapd stops doing anything after
selecting a mailbox.

The following session as an example:

--8<--------------------------------------------------------------
mike@oeh:~$ telnet localhost 143
Trying 129.27.203.100...
Connected to mail
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 X-NETSCAPE LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS AUTH=LOGIN] mail IMAP4rev1 2003.337 at Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:19:52 +0200 (CEST)
ab login mike pass
ab OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 X-NETSCAPE IDLE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS BINARY SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND]
User mike authenticated
ab select inbox

-->8--------------------------------------------------------------

>From now on nothing happens. The inbox seems to be locked, but I recieve
no data, the clients are waiting...

Authentification works with pam (ldap), but I cannot imagine that matters.

Does anyone know about this issue?

Thanks for your help,

greets, Mike
-- 
Michael Bayer
Graz, University of Technology (Austria)
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:45:19 -0700 (PDT)

> After user authentification goes OK, the imapd stops doing anything after

To isolate this problem further:

How large is the mailbox?  If the mailbox is hundreds of megabytes, it may 
take a while for the SELECT to return.

A small mailbox should return instantly.

Are you using unmodified UW imapd direct from UW, or is it from a 
third-party distribution?  If the latter, have you tried the UW 
distribution:
 	ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.Z
or
 	ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap-2004.RC.tar.Z

Are there any other modifications or third-party drivers (not supplied by 
UW)?  Many problems are caused by well-intentioned but ill-conceived 
modifications.

Have you tried running imapd under gdb (omit the login step when you do 
this) to see where it is when it is hanging?

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.