Subject: c-client falsely reporting error?

From: Karsten Ballueder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 17:00:19 +0100 (BST)

When closing connection to some pop servers, the pop driver
in c-client calls mm_notify() with an erroflag set to
BYE(==4), thus reporting the signoff message from the server
as an error. Surely, this isn't an error, it's just the
server saying "signing off".

Is there a deeper reason behind this, or should it be a bug?
--
 Karsten Ballüder  http://Ballueder.home.dhs.org/  mailto:[email-masked]
 Physics Department, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS, Scotland
                     Tel. +44-(0)-131-4513068  Fax. +44-(0)-131-4513136
            "In a world without fences, who needs Gates?"  

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 14:22:51 -0700 (PDT)

You answered your own question, but you may not have realized it.

Both mm_log() and mm_notify() are event messages, and are not necessarily
errors.  The main difference between the two is that mm_log() is strictly for
logging telemetry, whereas mm_notify() may contain codes (e.g. [TRYCREATE])
that the application will need.

The errorflag is the error level, but note that there are four levels.

Thus, an mm_notify() event with an errorflag of BYE means that the stream is
closing, and the application is hereby put on notice not to try to do anything
more on the stream.