Subject: connect limit ? imapd disconnects.

From: Andrew Daviel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:10:48 -0800 (PST)

(also on news:comp.os.linux.networking)

We have a (currently) RedHat 5.2 linux 2.0.36 system as a
mail server, running sendmail-8.10.2, imap-4.7 & IMP/Apache.
Local users use IMAP, which is spawned from inetd in the usual way,
mostly from Netscape.

Some users report problems connecting with IMAP - it says "system busy"
or some such (I haven't actually seen it myself, but it seems to happen
quite frequently to some people). It might happen to people with a
particular platform or network segment more than others, but there's no
clear pattern.

We recently doubled the RAM from 64M to 128M to improve performance
with users who have large mailboxes. System load is usually light (less
than 0.5), free swap seems OK (500M), free disk is OK.
When someone reports the problem, and we log in with ssh, everything seems
OK.
We have about 80 instances of imapd running and about 150 open network
connects.

I see a few "Connection reset by peer, while reading line.."
in the syslog, but (I believe) these are not correlated to the 
user problems. I may be wrong.
 
Is there some kernel limit somewhere we're running into ?
Ideas ?

Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376
[email-masked]
PGP ID 0xC7624B49

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------