Subject: how to use TLS for SMTP?

From: Vadim Zeitlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 02:38:14 +0100 (Romance Standard Time)

Hello,

 does anyone have an example of using STARTTLS with SMTP in imap 2002b?
>From reading the code it seems that I have to manually call SET_SSLSTART
to set "start TLS" parameter to something non NULL, but what should it be?
I initially thought to set this to ssl_start() from ssl_*.c but as these
functions are declared static I don't think any more it's the right thing
to do. Also, do I need to do SET_SSLDRIVER as well?

 Thank you in advance for any pointers!
VZ

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 08:53:09 -0800 (PST)

>  does anyone have an example of using STARTTLS with SMTP in imap 2002b?

Such an example is identical to what has always been done.  Use of
STARTTLS is completely automatic in all protocols.  You have to do
something explicit (e.g. use /notls or /ssl in the mailbox name) to
prevent the software from using STARTTLS.

> to do. Also, do I need to do SET_SSLDRIVER as well?

None of the above.

SET_SSLSTART and SET_SSLDRIVER are internal operations.  I (or my
successor as c-client developer) am the only person who should ever write
code that uses either one.  Everything is done by linkage.c.

All applications programs MUST do
	#include "linkage.c"
which will take care of all necessary operations.

Do not try to be clever and call the linkage functions directly instead of
using linkage.c.  Otherwise, your application is guaranteed to break in
the future.  I put all sorts of stuff in linkage.c, and more is likely to
happen.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.