Subject: ipopd3 error message

From: Moncef <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:28:29 -0500 (EST)

Hi - 
we're running ipopd3d on some mail servers. And last night, the number 
of ipop3d processes went very high (up to 700 running 
at the same time), which is unusual. When checking /var/log/syslog, I 
found hundreds of error messages looking like this one:

"Feb 16 00:49:03 pantheon-po04 ipop3d[2535]: No such file or directory
 while reading line user=USERNAME host=HOSTNAME [HOST IP]"

USERNAME, HOSTNAME and HOST IP were all different and valid.
Any clue about what this message means? Thanks.

--Moncef

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:48:32 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:28:29 -0500 (EST), Moncef wrote:
> And last night, the number
> at the same time), which is unusual.

This indicates either a runaway POP3 client that spawned all those sessions,
or a possible denial-of-service attempt.

>  while reading line user=USERNAME host=HOSTNAME [HOST IP]"

You have an older version of ipop3d.  All this message means is that the POP3
client disconnected the TCP connection without first issuing a POP3 QUIT
command.

In other words, it's equivalent to a LOGOUT record.