Subject: a quick question about nntp access in c-clinet

From: "Greg Ross" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:38:47 -0400

I've been working with php and it's support for c-client to build a web
based news reader and have run in to a problem with news groups and
user/passwords.  I looked through the c-client docs, poked at the source a
bit, and I can't find anything about user/passwords.

	It looks like c-client doesn't support nntp authenication, is this correct,
or did I just miss something?

	Thanks in advanced...

						Greg

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 11:43:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:38:47 -0400, Greg Ross wrote:
> I looked through the c-client docs, poked at the source a

Either you have an extremely ancient version of c-client, or you missed
something, since c-client has supported NNTP authentication for some time.
Just search for "auth" in nntp.c and you'll find lots of stuff about it.

Briefly, if you include a /user=xxx (where xxx is the desired user name) in
the host part of the mailbox name (the thing within "{}") it will authenticate
automatically and prompt for a password.  Otherwise, it will authenticate
reactively if the server indicates that it's necessary.

There's code to do reactive SMTP authentication too, but it isn't useful since
the designers of SMTP SASL deemed it unimportant to support it in the
protocol.