Subject: ipop3d kerberos port?

From: Kai Lanz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:44:46 -0700 (PDT)

We're thinking of switching from our old qpopper to ipop3d.  Our
qpopper accepts kerberized connections on port 1109, kpop.  Grepping 
the UW source doesn't turn up any references to "1109" or "kpop"; can 
ipop3d do authentication via kerberos?  Does it do so over the plain 
POP3 port, 110?  If so, would it be easy to modify to use 1109 instead?
It would be a big plus if our many users of Eudora-via-Kerberos didn't
have to re-configure when we switch POP servers...

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:52:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Kai Lanz wrote:
> ipop3d do authentication via kerberos?

Yes.

> Does it do so over the plain
> POP3 port, 110?

Yes.

> If so, would it be easy to modify to use 1109 instead?

I don't know what the requirements of port 1109 are; nor in fact do I have 
any clue as to what kpop is that's any different from a POP server that 
either uses the KDB to do plaintext password authentication or supports 
SASL.

If it's just a POP server with Kerberos, then it's just a matter of 
[x]inetd configuration and not ipop3d at all.

If, on the other hand, there's a special undocumented command to 
authenticate with Kerberos, then you'll have to write code to support it.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

---

From: Rich Graves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:09:37 -0400 (EDT)

You're currently using the old deprecated kerberos4. ipop3d speaks
kerberos5/gssapi and cannot be made to support the older protocol.

Eudora (and Stanford's authentication servers) have supported kerberos5 for
several years, but they're not backwards compatible, so you are going to
need to reconfigure all your clients.

You could have a transition period, though -- run a current version of 
ipop3d on 110 and leave qpopper running on 1109. Configure clients 
similarly to how ITSS wants Leland clients configured.

Didn't recent versions of Eudora drop kerberos4 support?
-- 
Rich Graves <[email-masked]>
UNet Systems Administrator