Subject: Creating folders within folders

From: "Dave Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 13:55:51 -0400

I have installed the Red Hat 7.3 postfix and imapd RPMs. I have everything
setup and pretty much working. The one problem I run into is trying to
create subdirectories in folders. I can not create any folders under my
Inbox. I can create folders outside of my Inbox, but in those folders, I can 
not create subdirectories either. What do I have to do to enable
subdirectories within folders? I can not seem to find any documentation on
this problem.

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 11:09:39 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

> subdirectories within folders? I can not seem to find any documentation on

Did you read the FAQ that is included with the IMAP toolkit?  If it was
not included in your RPM, you can find it on the web at:
	http://www.washington.edu/imap/IMAP-FAQs/index.html

The short answer to your question is that in the default UNIX mailbox
format, a name is a "mailbox file" containing messages or a "directory"
that contains files, but can not be both.  You can create directories (as
opposed to files) by appending "/" to the name, or simply by creating a
file under the name.  For example, if you create mailbox "foo/bar" then
the directory "foo" will also be created if it does not already exist.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.