Subject: [Imap-uw] problemns connecting to imap

From: Adam Tempest <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 17:29:37 +1000

Hi 

We have setup the uw-imap software, which we downloaded from the HP-UX 
site, on our server. 

We can not log in with our Unix accounts, here is the commands we used

$ telnet localhost 143
Trying...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS 
AUTH=LOGIN] localhost IMAP4rev1 2004.356 at Fri, 6 May 2005 16:06:20 +1000 
(EST)
1 login appldev ###########
1 NO LOGIN failed
1 login appltst ###########
1 NO LOGIN failed
1 logout
* BYE codevl01 IMAP4rev1 server terminating connection
1 OK LOGOUT completed
Connection closed by foreign host.

Here is a line from the file,  /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log
May  6 15:52:49 codevl01 imapd[27401]: Autologout user=appltst 
host=localhost [127.0.0.1]

Our server is a HP-UX , model 9000/800/rp4440, running 11i unix operating 
system

Please if you have encountered this problem before, any information in 
helping resolve our problem would be greatly appreciated.  If you require 
any more information, please let us know

Thanks
Adam Tempest

Please consider our environment before printing this email.

WARNING - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please delete and inform us by return email. Because emails and attachments may be interfered with, may contain computer viruses or other defects and may not be successfully replicated on other systems, you must be cautious. Westpac cannot guarantee that what you receive is what we sent. If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email by Westpac, please contact us immediately.

It is also important to check for viruses and defects before opening or using attachments. Westpac's liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments.

This email and its attachments are not intended to constitute any form of financial advice or recommendation of, or an offer to buy or offer to sell, any security or other financial product. We recommend that you seek your own independent legal or financial advice before proceeding with any investment decision.

Westpac Institutional Bank is a division of Westpac Banking Corporation, a company registered in New South Wales in Australia under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth). Westpac is authorised and regulated in the United Kingdom by the Financial Services Authority and is registered at Cardiff in the United Kingdom as Branch No. BR 106. Westpac operates in the United States of America as a federally chartered branch, regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141.

_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 01:11:40 -0700 (PDT)

Your problem appears to be a build configuration problem.  There are 
multiple choices to build on HP-UX, and you need to know which of these is 
suitable for your system's means of password validation.

Unfortunately, HP-UX has many variants in terms of how passwords are 
validated, so it may take a bit of trial and error to determine which 
variant is the one you want.  Also, we no longer have any HP-UX systems at 
UW to test on.  But, if you're willing to be patient and try some things, 
we'll get you on the air.

Did you build the software from sources?

If you are using binaries that someone else has built, have you tried 
getting the sources from the UW FTP site:
 	ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.Z
and building them yourself?

If you built the software yourself, what command did you use?  That is, 
which port name (gh9, ghp, ghs, hpp, hpx, hxd, shp) did you use?  gh9 and 
hpp are probably unsuitable for HP-UX version 11.  Do you know if you have 
either DCE security or Trusted Computer Base (SecureWare)?  If not, are 
the passwords stored in /etc/passwd or are they in some other location?

The fact that the server advertises STARTTLS and AUTH=LOGIN, and does 
*not* advertise LOGINDISABLED, indicates that it was built with SSL 
support and with plaintext authentication allowed in unencrypted sessions 
(SSLTYPE=unix).  You probably want to change that to forbid plaintext 
password in unencrypted sessions (SSLTYPE=nopwd), but for now it 
simplifies things.

The autologout syslog simply means that the imapd session timed out due to 
inactivity.  It is not significant in determining the cause of your 
password validation problems.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw