Subject: POP3 Search

From: "Hullatti, Manjula" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 13:03:17 -0500

Hi Mark,

This is about searching for any given string in the pop3 message. As there is no pop3_search function similar to imap_search which returns the message number, what is the effective way to search for any given string.

The string I'll have to search will be in the message header. I was thinking of getting the header and searching for the string in that header. But since the mailbox may have many messages, this might slow down the process of searching.

Regards,
Manjula
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 11:15:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001 13:03:17 -0500 , Hullatti, Manjula wrote:
> This is about searching for any given string in the pop3 message. As there
> is no pop3_search function similar to imap_search which returns the message
> number, what is the effective way to search for any given string.

The function to call in all cases is mail_search_full(), which will work with
POP3.  Never call imap_search() or any other imap_???() function directly.

> The string I'll have to search will be in the message header. I was thinking
> of getting the header and searching for the string in that header. But since
> the mailbox may have many messages, this might slow down the process of
> searching.

Searching with POP3 will be slow no matter what you do.