Subject: Solaris imap and netscape client?

From: "Dan A. Dickey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 12:20:33 -0500

Does anyone out there use the imap4rev1 server running on Solaris with
the netscape browser as a client?  I'm about to give up on getting this
to
work.  Can someone give me a vote of confidence in this setup?
Thanks.        -Dan

--
Dan A. Dickey
[email-masked]  http://www.transition.com/
mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 17:52:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Dan A. Dickey wrote:

> the netscape browser as a client?  I'm about to give up on getting this to

The Netscape beta client doesn't follow the standard and thus doesn't
interoperate.  It even fails to check the UIDVAILIDTY, which can result in
lost mail -- a very serious bug.

---

From: "Kevin McEntee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 18:25:41 -0700

> lost mail -- a very serious bug.

There is a UIDVALIDITY related bug that is fixed in the upcoming PR4 release. 
We already have large beta sites using Communicator with Solaris Solistice
Imap servers.  What, exactly, are you having trouble with?

- Kevin

---

From: "Dan A. Dickey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 09:52:32 -0500

> Imap servers.  What, exactly, are you having trouble with?

  Specifically, I'm having trouble using Communicator PR3 client with
the
UW Imap4rev1 server.  The PR3 client is doing the command '3 list ""
"*"'
which isn't a very good thing, in my opinion.  What this ends up doing
is walking down through my home directory looking for mailbox files.
I don't know quite how it determines what is a mailbox file and what
isn't,
but it appears that all directories get listed in the Communicator
Message
Center.  Or at least until I run out of disk space on C: which is where
it
likes to keep this list of potential mailboxes.  I have an unknown
number
of directories and files within my home directory on the Solaris server,

they use up a total of 1822MB of disk space.  Having the PR3 client do
a LIST through all of this at startup isn't a good idea.  I didn't get a

chance to determine if this also happens when I hit the GetMsg button.

With my current setup, the PR3 client is less than useless.
I managed to corral the imap server within a black-box; which kept
this from rummaging through my home directory.  After the PR3 client
started up, it would immediately get some kind of memory exception
when I hit the GetMsg button.  If it would help, tell me what kind of
debugging information you'd like and how to get it - I'll gladly send it

to you.

I also tried the Solstice imap server some time back.  With whatever
version
of netscape I was using at the time (probably 3.0Gold or near that), I
couldn't
login at all.  I didn't delve into why at the time.  I just quit trying
very early
on as I was extremely busy then, as compared to just simply busy now.

Anyways...enough of this... any help would be appreciated.
For now, I'm just not using imap.  I have PR3 set to ipop3 which works
pretty well for me.
    -Dan