Subject: Imapd deamon not stopping

From: Perry Narzem <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 12:57:35 -0600 (CST)

Hopefully a simple question.

I have implemented UofW imapd on our server.  I am testing the server and daemon 
and have a question.

I used Netscape 4.7 as my imap mailtool and it worked great.  I closed Netscape 
and started up Pine and now I have 2 daemons running.

I then closed pine and the daemons are still running.  Are they supposed to die 
after the mail readers are closed?

prowler# ps -ef |grep imap
 pnarzem 20787 15511  0 11:34:37 ?        0:00 imapd
    sean 20630 15511  0 11:21:50 ?        0:02 imapd
 pnarzem 20798 15511  0 11:35:54 ?        0:00 imapd

Please help.

Regards,

Perry

-----------------------------------------------------
Perry Narzem      | TI Email: [email-masked]
Texas Instruments | phone: (972) 480-6327 

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 16:26:03 -0800 (PST)

IMAP servers are supposed to terminate when the client goes away, but if the
client goes away without the proper IMAP logout protocol or even a TCP close,
the IMAP server has no way of knowing that the client went away.  In that
case, it will go away after 30 minutes of inactivity.

If it does not go away at that point, then it's a bug in your operating
system.  I've seen such problems on Solaris systems that are traced to the OS
getting wedged.

---

From: "Walter Truitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 08:21:02 -0600 (CST)

I would venture to guess that the imapd is started as a daemon each
connection rather than as a process that exits at the end of the session.
I think the server has options for starting as a daemon and being
controlled by the inetd daemon.

 -walter