Subject: Configuration problems

From: "Erich Beyrent" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:17:33 -0500

Hi all,

I am running FreeBSD 5.3 and have built the latest version of imap.  My
problem is that I cannot seem to get IMAP to download any messages to my
Outlook client.  POP3 is working correctly - in my $HOME directory, I have a
.mail file containing all the messages that sendmail dumps in there.

What other configuration steps do I need to perform?

Best regards,

-Erich-

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:25:36 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

> What other configuration steps do I need to perform?

First, you need to understand that the IMAP server does not download 
message *to* your Outlook client -- the Outlook client downloads messages 
*from* the IMAP server.

There is no configuration necessary in the IMAP server for a standard 
system configuration.  Normally, any configuration is done on the client; 
and indeed your problem may be entire a client configuration issue.

Then again, it may not be.

You say that "sendmail dumps [messages]" into a $HOME/.mail directory. 
This is not a standard location for mail to be delivered.  If you have 
made a non-standard location for mail, it should not be surprising that 
you need to change software that accesses mail to look for the message in 
the non-standard location.  In general, I recommend that only experts do 
such things, and that everybody else stay with the standard defaults.

I also don't understand how "sendmail dumps" messages into a $HOME/.mail 
directory has anything to do with "POP3 working correctly".

So, in order to diagnose your problem further, you need to be a bit more 
specific about what is going on.  If you have made non-standard changes to 
the location of mail, etc. then the first piece of advice that I will give 
you is to undo those changes and use the standard locations.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

---

From: "Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:27:15 +0100 (CET)

> What other configuration steps do I need to perform?

You need to give the list some usefule information. Such as debug 
information, errors popping up. You can also take ethereal and check 
what's being sent back and forth. Then you can read c-clients 
documentation to see how to enable verbose output etc.
*t

--
-----------------------------------------------------------
   Tomas Pospisek
   http://sourcepole.com -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
-----------------------------------------------------------