Subject: imap2.c -- Authentification

From: Heber Farnsworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 1995 13:09:15 -0700 (PDT)

I am running a mailer called ML on my workstation and I would like to recompile
it with a change in the imap2.c file.  I would like to have tcp check my
.rhosts file on the imap server and not have to ask me for authentification
each time I start the program.

Attached find two letters, one from me to the author of ML and the other his
reply.  Could you suggest how exactly to make the change he recommends?

  Heber Farnsworth                               | Department of Finance
  Univerity of Washington                        | Box 353200
  tele:  (206) 528-0793 home                     | Seattle, WA 98195-3200
  tele:  (206) 543-4773 finance     web: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~heberf
  fax:   (206) 685-9392             email: [email-masked]
From:        Heber Farnsworth <[email-masked]>
To:          [email-masked]
Subject:     Authentification
Date:        Wed, 28 Jun 1995 12:14:22 -0700 (PDT)

I have ML running on my workstation but I use a departmental machine for my
IMAP server.  I also have an account on this machine, however my username is
different than it is on my workstation.
	I recall reading that ML uses rsh to do the authentification.  I have
myself listed in my personal .rhosts file on the server so I can login using
rsh without supplying a password.  Why can I not do this with ML?  I can't find
a way to tell ML what my remote username is so that it can check to see if I
need to authenticate.

  Heber Farnsworth                               | Department of Finance
  Univerity of Washington                        | Box 353200
  tele:  (206) 528-0793 home                     | Seattle, WA 98195-3200
  tele:  (206) 543-4773 finance     web: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~heberf
  fax:   (206) 685-9392             email: [email-masked]

From:        Mike Macgirvin <[email-masked]>
To:          Heber Farnsworth <[email-masked]>
Subject:     Re: Authentification
Date:        Wed, 28 Jun 1995 12:22:59 -0700 (PDT)

>  I have ML running on my workstation but I use a departmental machine for my
>  IMAP server.  I also have an account on this machine, however my username is
>  different than it is on my workstation.

	This stuff is all hard-wired into the IMAP c-client toolkit, and I have
no control over it. I've been arguing for a long time to make this interface
configurable; but it still isn't, and probably won't be anytime soon.
	The only way out that I know of is to specify "servername:143" as the
default server and force it to login via TCP. Sorry. I'm as frustrated on this
one as you are. If you're the only one using this copy of ML, you can change
the command string in imap/c-client/imap2.c to your liking (look for the string
"/etc/rimapd").

mike

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 1995 13:30:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hello.

What system is your IMAP server?  .rhosts access should be set up
automatically on all UCS systems.