Subject: re: INBOX not accepted as mbx inbox ?

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 15:57:58 -0700 (PDT)

[Answer to question mis-posted to IMAP mailing list.]

On Tue, 22 May 2001 00:30:41 +0200, S.A.W. Gooren wrote:
> I run exim to deliver mail, exim delivers in mbx format (mbx_format =
> true), the file created is in mbx-format.

Note: if exim does not use the c-client library to deliver in mbx format,
there is no guarantee that it works now or will continue to work in the
future.

> The file INBOX, created by exim in the users homedir cannot be opened by
> UW-IMAP, the error i get is "SELECT failed: Can't open INBOX (file
> /home/mail/wim/INBOX): not in valid mailbox format"

How is "/home/mail/win/INBOX" derived?

Is /home/mail/win the user's UNIX home directory?

If not, did you modify routine mymailboxdir() so that /home/mail/win is
returned?

If not, did you modify routine sysinbox() so that /home/mail/win/INBOX is
returned?

I suspect that you modified sysinbox() and did not modify mymailboxdir().
Routine sysinbox() is only for mail files in traditional UNIX mailbox format.
It is never for an mbx-format INBOX.

The mbx driver looks for INBOX in the "mailbox directory" from mymailboxdir(),
which defaults to the home directory from myhomedir() which is normally the
user's UNIX home directory.  It does not look in the sysinbox() location.