Subject: Performance [Q]

From: "Bruno Mattarollo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 01:46:52 -0300

Hello...

    We are developing a web mail that in reality is a client for IMAP.

    Are there concerns in performance of the Wash. Univ. IMAP server that we
should care about? Is performance a goal of the WU IMAP server?

    I know this is vague... :-) I am just looking for user-experiences
regarding the use of this IMAP server in somewhat loaded environments.

    Our platform is all Sun.

    TIA

/B

Bruno Mattarollo <[email-masked]>
--- Python Powered <http://www.python.org/psa/>

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Alex Shvedov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 10:04:04 -0500

>Are there concerns in performance of the Wash. Univ. IMAP server
that we should care about?
I made a full-blown web IMAP mail client and server; some tricky
things are in multithreading the c-client, otherwise it's fine.
An important thing is that UW's server not only knows how to
SEARCH but how to SORT also, and the client is smart enough to
implement sorting either on the server side (if the server is
that smart) or by its own (if it's not). Note that SORT is an
extension of IMAP.
Since it's C, not C++, it's fast.
The coding style may seem strange but up to date there are no
bugs with up to 200-300 simultaneous threads (= incoming
callers).
All this done on AIX 4.2 - 4.3.

Alex Shvedov, VoiceRite, Miami