Subject: [Imap-uw] How to use pop3 driver for UW imapd

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:17:15 +0800

Hi all,

   I am a developer who are considering using the pop3 driver for my 
UW imapd.  I already have a pop3 server running on my machine.
So I installed Imp and UW imapd (only mail_link() in pop3 driver in
LINKAGE.C), but I couldn't
get it work. I tried to login from the IMP using the username and
password for the pop3
account on the local machine, but the IMP always send the following imap
commands to imapd:

cmdbuf = 00000000 LOGIN yin 111 
cmdbuf = 00000001 LIST "" "" 
cmdbuf = 00000002 LOGOUT 

cmdbuf = 00000000 LOGIN yin 111 
cmdbuf = 00000001 SELECT INBOX 
cmdbuf = 00000002 LIST "" mail/* 
cmdbuf = 00000003 UID SORT (ARRIVAL) US-ASCII ALL 
cmdbuf = 00000004 STATUS INBOX (MESSAGES) 
cmdbuf = 00000005 SEARCH ALL UNSEEN 
cmdbuf = 00000006 LOGOUT

The mailbox name "INBOX" is not valid for a network mailbox name for
pop3 driver, so 
it can't pass the function pop3_valid. What should I do to make IMP send
network mailbox
name like {hostname:110/pop3/user=yin/authuser=yin}INBOX,  rather than
only "INBOX"?
Or, to make it simply, just how to make the pop3 driver work for me?

   Your help will be greatly appreciated!

     Yin Zhou 

     Orinno Software Co., Ltd.

   [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 10:32:53 -0800

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, [email-masked] wrote:
> get it work.

I'm not surprised.

The LINKAGE.C mechanism is magic, and does not work in the way that you 
believe.  You should not tamper with LINKAGE.C unless you completely 
understand all the implications of doing so.

> I tried to login from the IMP using the username and password for the 
> pop3 account on the local machine, but the IMP always send the following 
> imap commands to imapd:

You need to discuss this with the developers of IMP.  It appears that IMP 
is not intended to work with an IMAP-to-POP proxy.

Nor, for that matter, is an IMAP-to-POP proxy very useful for most users 
(maybe 99.999%).  Only a few users use proxies, and most of these users 
use POP-to-IMAP proxies.

After you put a lot of work into IMP to make it work with an IMAP-to-POP 
proxy, you will find that it will probably perform very poorly.

> pop3 driver, so it can't pass the function pop3_valid. What should I do 
> to make IMP send network mailbox name like 
> {hostname:110/pop3/user=yin/authuser=yin}INBOX, rather than only 
> "INBOX"?

You have to discuss that with the developers of IMP.

> Or, to make it simply, just how to make the pop3 driver work for me?

Unfortunately, it is not a simple question.  The POP3 driver is working. 
The thing that is not working is your expectations.

I don't think that your project makes much sense.  I doubt that there is 
any demand (or need) for a modified version of IMP that works with an 
IMAP-to-POP proxy; nor would such a program work well.  There are webmail 
servers that work directly with POP servers (maybe even IMP can work this 
way) without involving an IMAP-to-POP proxy.

It is certainly possible, from a technical perspective, to make it work. 
The work that you need to do is in IMP, not imapd.  But I believe that you 
would be very disappointed in the results.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw