Subject: #mhinbox vs. INBOX

From: "Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:49:58 +0200 (CEST)

Is there any specific reason, c-client calls the mh inbox #mhinbox and not
INBOX like all the other INBOXes of all the other formats?

It's inconvenient as would force me to do #mhinbox<->INBOX mapping in
mailsync if I wanted to do things properly.

?

*t

--
-----------------------------------------------------------
         Tomas Pospisek
         SourcePole   -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
         http://sourcepole.ch
         Elestastrasse 18, 7310 Bad Ragaz, Switzerland
         Tel: +41 (81) 330 77 11
-----------------------------------------------------------

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:31:04 -0700 (PDT)

> INBOX like all the other INBOXes of all the other formats?

Yes, there is a specific reason.

Oh?  You would like to know the reason?

In c-client, MH format is far less functional than other formats.  Let's
suppose that MH format responds to the INBOX name.  Then the following
little scenario plays out:

If someone experimented with MH years ago, stopped using it, but then
failed to remove all vestiges of MH support, a trap is left to spring the
moment the user uses any c-client base application.

One form of the trap is that the user's mail disappeared in their non
c-client application.  The other form of the trap is that things (such as
sticky flags) mysteriously do not work as advertised and cause substantial
difficulties

Now lets suppose that that Someone is very high up, that when the trap
sprung on that Someone it was a Major Issue; and that when the cause was
finally determined, Someone Else got called on the carpet.

#mhinbox is not going to change.

> mailsync if I wanted to do things properly.

That's one approach.  The other is not to have any such knowledge in the
first place.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

---

From: tomas pospisek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 14:04:29 +0200 (CEST)

> That's one approach.  The other is not to have any such knowledge in the

Mhhh don't know much what to do out of this. Mailsync _is_ supporting #mh
and curiously enough some of the most important contributors of mailsync
are using it - so out of those political reasons I'll not drop support of
it - but anyway - mailsync is not trying to hide c-client's
functionality - it just gives the user whatever c-client offers.

Since I'd like to document the issue I'll probably just drop your mail,
that's specific and cryptic at the same time into the documentation...

:-/
*t

--
Bad times for dictators. At least in the oil regions.
Goedart Palm