Subject: opinions wanted: sequence strings in c-client

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 11:08:04 -0800 (PST)

The functions mail_fetchfast_full(), mail_fetchflags_full(),
mail_setflag_full(), mail_clearflag_full(), and mail_copy_full() in c-client
all take a char* argument which is the IMAP-format sequence string of the
message(s) that the operation is to apply to.

I am considering a change to this interface.  I want to remove this argument,
and instead require that the main program light the "sequence" bit in the elt
(from mail_elt()) for the associated message.

I believe that this would ultimately be easier on the main program.  It would
eliminate the need to have a sequence number buffer of indeterminate length.
The only time c-client really needs it as a string is for IMAP.  In many
cases, the main program is obliged to build the string only to have c-client
tear it apart to lit sequence bits in the elt.  Even in the IMAP case, the
main program is capable of generating godzilla and/or silly sequence strings
which may be too long for some IMAP servers.

The old IMAP2 names (without the "_full" suffix) will retain the old interface
for compatibility.  I will, however, change the IMAP4 interfaces so any
programs which use the new interfaces will have to be changed.

If you object to this change, please let me know ASAP and state why.  Note
that I do not consider the IMAP4 interface to be finalized, but it's happening
soon it's "now or never" in terms of changing it.

---

From: Mike Macgirvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 11:29:31 -0800 (PST)

> I am considering a change to this interface.  I want to remove this
> argument, and instead require that the main program light the "sequence"
> bit in the elt (from mail_elt()) for the associated message.

No objection. It makes life (much) easier in my case.

---

From: Mark A Keasling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 18:29:27 +0900 (JST)

Hi Mark,

I vote for dropping the sequence argument.

-- Mark Keasling
   AIR Company LTD, 5-31-20 West Senriyama, Suita City, Osaka 565 Japan
   email: [email-masked]  fone: +1 816 368 6090  fax: +1 816 368 6091