Subject: Are there any c-client driver developers willing to offer advice on fixing my MySQL c-client driver?

From: "Herr Doktor C. Lesser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 17:05:03 +1000

I have developed a 'functional' perhaps that's the the correct
word... 'working' MySQL driver for c-client to use with (UW's IMAPD
and) my web-mail program (http://www.spannermail.com).  It works
reasonably well, and I'm considering releasing it into the public
domain.

However there are few little quirks that I can't quite resolve.  Esp
my Outlook 2000 client has a habit of saying that it couldn't open my
Inbox and that it's local cache may be out of date.

This vexes me considerably, as I am using the database ID field (a
unique static identifier) for my UID field, so there is really no way
that information could have changed.

I've looked at the packets that are flowing back and forth, and
everything seems to be correct, yet outlook give me these errors all
the time.

Anyway, if I can perfect the driver, then I will release it. 
Otherwise I don't really want to embarrass myself by releasing a
half-working driver. :)

Feel free to signup and try the IMAP daemon on your client if you are
interested in helping me out.

Thanks.

Cyrus

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Herr Doktor C. Lesser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 18:43:19 +1000

Okay, disregard what I said about Outlook.  Further investigation has proven
that Outlook 2000 isn't even trying to connect to the IMAP box before
displaying errors, so the problem lies outside of the c-client driver.

If anyone (with C skills!) is interested in the MySQL c-client driver, they
are still welcome to email me.

Cyrus

***

Thanks.

Cyrus

*** END PGP VERIFIED MESSAGE ***

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:23:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001 17:05:03 +1000, Herr Doktor C. Lesser wrote:
> I am using the database ID field (a

Are your UIDs strictly ascending in the mailbox?

Is the UIDNEXT always higher than the last assigned UID?

Are you implementing UIDVALIDITY correctly?

All of these are requirements which must be followed.

---

From: "Herr Doktor C. Lesser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 05:44:50 +1000

Thanks for you reply Mark, always nice to get it from the horses mouth.

However I think I have pinpointed the problem to Outlook 2000.  While it's
claiming that my IMAP server doesn't contain the folder in question, packet
sniffing shows it didn't even connect.

That's not to say that there still isn't a problem with my driver, because
it is still possible that some piece of cached information it sent previous
is causing Outlook to spit the dummy.

But I chose to blame Outlook 2000.  It's a wonderful email client, but it
has a disastrous IMAP implementation.

Eg. to delete a message, you have to first download it! That means if you
shift-select a page of messages that you want to delete, you have to wait
for them all the download first.  (shudder).

Infact, almost anything you do inside an IMAP folder causes Outlook to pause
and download messages.

It kind of ruins 1 of the good points of IMAP: keeping your messages offsite
so you only have to download the ones you're interested it.

And yes, my uid's are strictly ascending, and uid_validity is maintained.
One of the beauties of retrieving mail from a SQL d/b is the "order by id"
phrase. :)

Nearly as good as the "delete all from messages where...." :)

Thanks.

When I've finished development I'll submit the code for inclusion in
c-client, if you think it would be useful.   Should be easily portable to
any SQL engine.

Cyrus

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Mark Crispin
Sent: Wednesday, 20 June 2001 3:23 AM
To: Herr Doktor C. Lesser
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: re: Are there any c-client driver developers willing to offer
advice on fixing my MySQL c-client driver?

---

From: "Scot W. Hetzel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:42:07 -0500

From: "Herr Doktor C. Lesser" <[email-masked]>
> Infact, almost anything you do inside an IMAP folder causes Outlook to
pause
If you have the preview pane open while selecting messages for deletion,
Outlook will download the selected message(s) (it will usually download the
first & last message(s) selected while holding the shift key, and every
message while pressing the ctrl key).

Try turning off the preview pane, when selecting messages for deletion.

Scot

---

From: "Herr Doktor C. Lesser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 02:24:36 +1000

Nope, not Outlook 2000 unfortunately.  Already tried all that, and more.

Thanks anyway!

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Scot W. Hetzel
Sent: Thursday, 21 June 2001 1:42 AM
To: Herr Doktor C. Lesser
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Are there any c-client driver developers willing to offer
advice on fixing my MySQL c-client driver?

Scot