Subject: mail_open()

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:43:43 -0500

Does 'mail_open()' retrieve all the messages in the mailbox?

I was trying to write the c-client equivalent of:
USER
PASS
STAT
LIST

However, when I use mail_open() for a 7.5MB mailbox, it takes 30 seconds
to return.

Thanx,

Gus Coll

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:52:55 -0800 (PST)

> Does 'mail_open()' retrieve all the messages in the mailbox?

No, but mail_open() does count all the messages

> However, when I use mail_open() for a 7.5MB mailbox, it takes 30 seconds

What is the mailbox name that you are opening?

If you are opening a POP3 mailbox, then the delay is at the POP3 server.  It
just does a USER/PASS (or AUTH, depending upon the server) followed by a STAT.

If it is a local disk file, then 30 seconds is an excessive delay for 7.5MB.
What version of IMAP toolkit are you using?  What mailbox format?