Subject: [Imap-uw] Blocking specific users from logging in

From: Steinar Kaaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:04:09 +0100

Hello,

I need to block specific users from logging in to UW-imap. My idea was to 
create .imaprc files in these users home directories, with this setting:
set maximum login trials 0
This setting does not seem to have any effect however. Has anyone else done 
something like this?

--
Steinar Kaarø

_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:15:12 -0800 (PST)

> set maximum login trials 0

There is no specific capability built in to UW imapd to block specific 
users from logging in, and as you discovered setting the login trial count 
doesn't work.  Even if the trial count worked that way (it doesn't), 
setting it in a per-user config file can't possibly work because the 
per-user config file isn't executed until *after* the user logs in.

If your system uses PAM (most modern systems do), you can set up PAM rules 
for imap to disable specific users.  Refer to the PAM documentation for 
how to do this; I've never done it myself, so I can't tell you how.  But I 
do know that one of the design goals of PAM is to have all authentication 
policy, on a per-server basis, be done under PAM instead of in each 
server.

Otherwise, you'll have to modify the loginpw() routine in the c-client 
library to implement the policy that you wish.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw