Subject: Using SSL support in UW imap-2000.BETA?

From: Jason Spangler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 18:12:31 -0500

[I originally sent this message to the imap mailing list but then noticed that I
should have sent it to the c-client mailing list, sorry.]
      
I've tried the following using Netscape Messenger 4.72 as my client and
non-secure access works but it hangs when I try simap.  I searched through the
documentation but couldn't find any mention of how to get SSL support working
after compilation.  

I built with:
make lnp SPECIALAUTHENTICATORS=ssl

I added the following to inetd.conf:
simap   stream   tcp   nowait   root   /usr/bin/tcpd imapd

I made sure simap was in /etc/services:
simap   993/tcp   # IMAP over SSL

I also looked in src/osdep/unix/auth_ssl.c and saw that it expects a certificate
in SSL_CERT_DIRECTORY of <servername>-<address>.pem or <servername>.pem, so I
created linus.pem and ln -s linus.pem imapd.pem (I don't know what servername is
supposed to be).

I'm also getting "port 993 service init from" rather than "alternative service
init from" in my maillog file, and I did build with with "make lnp
SPECIALAUTHENTICATORS=ssl" and ldd says that imapd is linked to libssl.so.

I also tried:
% openssl
OpenSSL> s_client -host localhost -port 993
CONNECTED(00000003)
20029:error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown
protocol:s23_clnt.c:458:

Also, does anyone know if imap-2000.BETA's SSL support will work with Netscape
Messenger 4.72?

Thanks!

P.S.  I made RPMs of imap-2000.BETA (based on Red Hat's SRPM with patches
updated and SSL build enabled) and put them at http://sss.org/~jasons/Dist/RPMs/
if anyone is interested.

P.P.S.  I just subscribed to the list so I may have missed some messages about
this that haven't made it into the archive yet.
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------