Subject: ssl support

From: "Ilya" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 16:05:24 -0400

Is ssl support in c-client 2000 broken?
there is no auth_ssl files in distribution, and php for example cant compile
properly if i want it to support imap-ssl through cclinet

thank you

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 13:30:29 -0700 (PDT)

> properly if i want it to support imap-ssl through cclinet

All UW-distributed versions of imap-2000 had auth_ssl.

Note that in imap-2001, the SSL support files are now called ssl_unix,
ssl_w2k, etc.

PHP should not in any way depend upon how c-client is built (whether with or
without SSL).  If it does, this is a bug in PHP.

---

From: Richard A Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 16:50:48 -0400 (EDT)

> without SSL).  If it does, this is a bug in PHP.

hrm, haven't checked in here for a bit... does this mean we now have
client ssl support (for pine) ?
-- 
Rick Nelson
Life'll kill ya                         -- Warren Zevon
Then you'll be dead                     -- Life'll kill ya

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 13:54:59 -0700 (PDT)

> client ssl support (for pine) ?

Yes.  For over two years.

---

From: Richard A Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 17:00:29 -0400 (EDT)

> > client ssl support (for pine) ?

Wait, let me ask that again...

Yes, we've had ssl wrapper support for quite some time, but we've
not supported STARTTLS (at least not in the 2000 releases).

What I meant to ask was if STARTTLS support had been added...

I need to remember STARTTLS ~= SSL for most folk ;)
-- 
Rick Nelson
Life'll kill ya                         -- Warren Zevon
Then you'll be dead                     -- Life'll kill ya

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 14:05:25 -0700 (PDT)

> What I meant to ask was if STARTTLS support had been added...

STARTTLS support is in the imap-2000 server.

STARTTLS client support is new in imap-2001.

> I need to remember STARTTLS ~= SSL for most folk ;)

STARTTLS is TLS, not SSL.  There's an important difference.