Subject: UIDL support for POP3 - a patch anyone?

From: Karsten Ballueder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:12:08 +0100 (GMT)

Hi,

I am in desperate need of some kind of UID support for POP3 folders and was told
that almost all existing POP3 servers support something called UIDL. Has anyone
got a patch for c-client that makes it use that UIDL ?

Thanks in advance,
Karsten
--
 Karsten Ballüder  http://Ballueder.home.dhs.org/  mailto:[email-masked]
 Physics Department, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS, Scotland
                     Tel. +44-(0)-131-4513068  Fax. +44-(0)-131-4513136
            "In a world without fences, who needs Gates?"  

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:53:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:12:08 +0100 (GMT), Karsten Ballueder wrote:
> I am in desperate need of some kind of UID support for POP3 folders and was
> told that almost all existing POP3 servers support something called UIDL.

Your information is correct, and ipop3d support UIDL.

> Has anyone

c-client's POP3 client code doesn't currently support UIDL, and even if it did
you wouldn't be able to access POP3 UIDs via mail_uid() because POP3 UIDs are
a long character string (with arbitrary collation), unlike IMAP4 UIDs which
are integers (with strictly ascending collation).

However, it shouldn't be too hard to write your own routine to send a UIDL
command and parse the responses.