Subject: Marking message for deletion in POP3

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 17:20:19 -0700

Hi,

Could someone let me know how to mark messages for
deletion in POP3 ? I want to mark them deleted and expunge all
the deleted messages at once. There is no api in pop3.h of c-client
library for this.

Thanks,
Manjula

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 18:56:05 -0700 (PDT)

> the deleted messages at once. There is no api in pop3.h of c-client

The only way to delete messages in the POP3 protocol is to issue DELE commands
and then to issue a QUIT to confirm.  If a QUIT is not issued, the POP3 server
forgets about the DELE commands.

Since the c-client API has the delete-expunge model with an undelete permitted
prior to expunge, the way this is implemented in c-client is to set the
\Deleted flag, then call mail_expunge() to send the DELE commands.  At this
point, you can no longer undelete and the messages become unavailable to c-
client; however of course the true purge at the server happens at mail_close()
time.  Although this seems strange, it's the only way to get IMAP like
behavior, which is what the c-client API tries to provide, from POP.