Subject: Time-outs

From: Douglas Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 18:46:39 -0500 (EST)

I would like to ask whether in pine there is a variable or pre-processor symbol
whose value we can change or some other change we can make to permit more time
for a node to respond to a file I/O request.  We think that pine is timing out
and outputting an error in cases in which a node may simply be responding
slowly.  Thank you for your help.

Douglas Kline
Computer Staff, Channing Laboratory

Go ahead and send it again, but change the text slightly.  That should be
enough to fool the stupid software.

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 16:03:21 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 18:46:39 -0500 (EST), Douglas Kline wrote:
> I would like to ask whether in pine there is a variable or pre-processor
> symbol whose value we can change or some other change we can make to permit
> more time for a node to respond to a file I/O request.  We think that pine
> is timing out and outputting an error in cases in which a node may simply be
> responding slowly.  Thank you for your help.

Please send email to [email-masked] describing your problem in
detail, including specific symptoms.

Although Pine has timeouts for TCP/IP read (and optionally write) operations,
it only queries the user if the user wants to abandon the operation.  If the
user says no, or doesn't answer, Pine will continue to try the operation
forever.

If you are referring to file timeouts, e.g. for NFS mounted files, that is
done by the operating system depending upon how you mount the NFS directory.
If you do a "hard" NFS mount, the timeout is infinite.