Subject: any work with IPv6 in progress?

From: "Peter Derr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 16:49:32 -0500

Are there any plans to make the imapd work with IPv6, or is anyone working on this?

Thanks,
Peter

============
Peter Derr
Compaq Tru64 UNIX Internet Engineering Group
Tel: +1 603 884 2977
[email-masked]

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:16:07 -0800 (PST)

> Are there any plans to make the imapd work with IPv6, or is anyone working

Does imapd not work with ipv6?

Domain literals probably won't work in the client code, because inet_addr()
returns an unsigned long instead of a struct in_addr, but domain names should
and I'm not away of anything else that's obviously broken by ipv6.

But I don't have an ipv6 system to test on.

---

From: "Peter Derr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:55:53 -0500

> > Are there any plans to make the imapd work with IPv6, or is anyone
working
> > on this?

Well, I'm still learning about this, but besides what you point out above, I
understand that you need to use AF_INET6 sockets (which work with both IPv4
and IPv6) instead of AF_INET sockets, sockaddr_in6 structs instead of
sockaddr_in, getaddrinfo() instead of gethostbyname(), etc...   You'd have
to do code #ifdefs to allow it to build and run on systems that didn't have
IPv6 headers and libraries.  I'm hoping the required changes would be pretty
much confined to osdep/unix/tcp_unix.c .

In general, it doesn't seem too difficult, but in the interest of avoiding
duplication of effort, I'm wondering if anyone has tried this or
investigated it further.

Peter