Subject: Successful logins reported as failures

From: "Network" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 03:14:21 -0500

Every time we have a *successful* login, imap-uw reports the following from
/var/log/messages
-
Feb  8 02:49:43 tower imapd[508]: Login failure user=
host=tower.swahilie.net [192.168.0.5]

OS=FreeBSD-4.2-Stable
imap-uw version= /usr/ports/mail/imap-uw/work/imap-2000a ... from the
FreeBSD ports-collection.

How to fix this?

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 01:15:08 -0800 (PST)

> host=tower.swahilie.net [192.168.0.5]

If that's actually what you're getting (nothing after the "user="), then it
sounds like some kind of client bug.  It's first trying to log in with a null
user name, before a successful login.  You are seeing the syslog for a
successful login, aren't you?

> FreeBSD ports-collection.

The current release version is imap-2000c, available from:
	ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.Z

---

From: "Steve Collins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 09:14:48 -0800

Sounds like a bug in your implementation of env_unix.c (goes into c-client
lib, used by imapd).  I'm assuming somebody modified it, because there's no
bug like that in any of the distributions I've seen.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Network
> Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 12:14 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Successful logins reported as failures
>
>