Subject: delays

From: Niklas Johannes Saers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 02:09:45 +0100 (MET)

Hi,
I'm running imap-uw and cclient 2002 on a FreeBSD 4 system. However, when
logging in through imap, it takes about 4,5 minutes to authenticate me.
When I start up pine locally, it takes about 4,5 minutes to open the
inbox. I suspect there are some problems getting file locks, but I do not
know where to find these locks to verify this. Could anyone please tell me
if they have experienced a similar scenario?

Cheers

  Nik
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:37:32 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Niklas Johannes Saers wrote:
> inbox.

This suggests one of two things: either rsh or reverse DNS lookup
timeouts.

To excluse rsh timeouts, try adding /norsh to the mailbox name, e.g.
	{myserver.foo.com/norsh}INBOX
instead of
	{myserver.foo.com}INBOX

Pine also has a configuration option for rsh timeouts that, if set to 0,
will disable use of rsh entirely.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.

---

From: Niklas Johannes Saers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:40:21 +0100 (MET)

> This suggests one of two things: either rsh or reverse DNS lookup

Right, I'd suspect DNS timeouts as I've been struggeling with that lately.
Is there some way to disable DNS lookups by cclient? I know that doesn't
solve the DNS problem, but the DNS problem is going to take a couple of
days to fix.

Thanks Mark and Rich

Cheers

   Niklas Saers