Subject: RE: [Imap-uw] IMAP With SSHA

From: "Urciolo, Kevin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:09:57 -0400

Ah... It was the SSL thing screwing it up.  I recompiled with
SSLTYPE=unix just to see if I could connect using plaintext without SSL.
It works.  I will now go back and properly follow the directions for
SSL.

Thanks everyone for the help. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Mark Crispin
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 3:50 PM
To: Urciolo, Kevin
Cc: UW IMAP Software Interest List
Subject: RE: [Imap-uw] IMAP With SSHA

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Urciolo, Kevin wrote:
> I was thinking that "other" would take care of it.  I copied my
"other"
> entries to "imap" entries however, to see what would happen.  It does 
> not seem to make a difference. hmmmm...

Make sure that you are using SSL or TLS encryption in your IMAP client. 
By default, plaintext password authentication is *NOT* permitted unless
there is SSL or TLS encryption.

Modern well-written clients, such as Pine, negotiate TLS automatically
if you do not specify SSL.  Older and poorly-written clients will
attempt to do insecure password authentication without encryption; this
will not work and you must instruct those clients to use SSL.

Also, be sure that you set up SSL/TLS certificates for the IMAP server
as described in the SSLBUILD documentation file.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw