Subject: 4.4, 4.5 build problems under DU 4.0E

From: Tim Winders <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:11:05 -0500

I am running Digital Unix 4.0E.  I have imap-4.6.BETA running
successfully, but I am trying to build PHP with imap support. 
Unfortunately, Apache fails to compile with the PHP module (when imap
has been enabled).  It works fine without imap support.

The PHP list suggested I try imap-4.4 as there as some issues with 4.5
that might still be in 4.6.BETA.  So, I grabbed the 4.4 distribution but
it fails to build and dies with this error (using make os4):

cc -g3 -O2 -Olimit 1500 -DNFSKLUDGE    -c news.c
cc: Error: news.c, line 186: In this statement, "strcpy(...)" and "6"
cannot be
added. (noadd)
    lcl = strcpy (name,"#news.") + 6;
----------^
make[3]: *** [news.o] Error 1

imap-4.5 dies the same way, but 4.6.BETA compiles fine.  I am using
DEC's c complier as I am unable to add gcc to the system.

Any suggestions on how to get 4.4 (or 4.5) to build successfully?

Thanks!

-- 
=== Tim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Tim Winders, CNE, MCSE	|  Email:  [email-masked]	|
|  Network Administrator	|  Phone:  806-894-9611 x 2369		|
|  South Plains College		|  Fax:    806-897-4711			|
|  Levelland, TX  79336		|					|
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Peter Derr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:20:50 -0400

>     lcl = strcpy (name,"#news.") + 6;

This is a bug the cc compiler on DIGITAL UNIX V4.0E.  The bug was not in
V4.0D and was fixed in V4.0F.

The simple workaround is to change that line of code to be two lines like
this:

    lcl = strcpy (name,"#news.");
    lcl += 6;

Peter