Subject: dmail + procmail + spamassassin

From: Nick Hodulik <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:56:24 -0700

I'm running UW-IMAP on a Gentoo box with sendmail and procmail and 
delivering to mbx format using dmail. This configuration works very 
well. However, I'd like to install spamassassin, but every time I try 
dmail starts spitting out endless "bad first message line" errors to 
the mail log once procmail passes it off. It does not do this without 
spamassassin. I understand this may not entirely be a UW issue, but 
intuition says that it might be. Has anyone else had any experience 
with a setup similar to this?

My .procmailrc file:

SHELL=/bin/bash
UMASK=077
VERBOSE=yes
LOGABSTRACT=all
DEFAULT=$HOME/mail
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/procmail.log
INCLUDERC=$HOME/.procmailrc
DROPPRIVS=yes

#:0fw
#| spamc -u $LOGFILE

#:0fw:spamassassin.lock
#| /usr/bin/spamassassin

:0
| /usr/local/imap/sbin/dmail +INBOX

Note that the two spamassasin-related things are commented out because 
they don't seem to work. I have tried both the spamc and the standalone 
versions of spamassassin to no avail.

Help!

nick

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:27:33 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

dmail issues the "bad first message line" message under the following
conditions:
 . immediate end of file on stdin after being started
 . no newline in first 1023 characters
 . message starts with a newline
 . fgets() did not write a NUL after the newline

After issuing the message, dmail terminates.  So if you are getting
"endless" instances of that message, that sounds like something is
spawning "endless" dmail processes, presumably with the same problem.

Perhaps this will help you in tracking down the problem.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.