Subject: re: imapd process count

From: "Kevin W. Mullet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 09:24:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Mark Crispin wrote:
[...]
> On Wed, 16 May 2001 13:11:56 -0400, John Kelly wrote:
> > I read elsewhere that Linux scheduler performance starts degrading
> > badly above 1,000 processes or so.  There are some unofficial patches
> > to fix this, but who knows if they will ever appear in the official
> > kernel.
> If this is true, this is a serious bug in Linux.  1000 processes is not a
> particularly large number for a large system.  I can't imagine this not
> getting fixed.
[...]

As I recall, linux 2.2 kernels only support up to 1024 processes. Hard
wall.  I believe the 2.4 kernel should practically support however many
your hardware can sustain.  I agree with Mark, though.  IMHO, whenever
you have the opportunity to balance your load across a larger number of
smaller boxes rather than a smaller number of larger boxes or (ugh..) one
box, it's A Good Thing.

-KwM-

-- 
Kevin W. Mullet	
[email-masked]
System Support Manager, Computer Science Department
University of Texas at Dallas