Subject: [Imap-uw] Troubles with imap-uw-2004,g

From: Derlis Zárate <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 12:25:43 -0300

Hi, 

I need an authentication mode that check the user date expiration (listed in /etc/master.passwd) and use the OS users database (/etc/passwd) to login.

My OS is FreeBSD 5.4 Stable

I execute this command to install the imap-uw:
# cd /usr/ports/mail/imap-uw
# make -DWITH_SSH_AND_PLAINTEXT PASSWDTYPE=std IP=6

Everything seems OK until this point but when I try to login with any client (kmail, thunderbird, outlook) it fails. 

In /var/log/messages appears:
Login disabled user=tester auth=tester host=<my-hostname> [<my-ip-address>]

Some of you could help me

Thanks.
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 17:59:49 -0800 (PST)

Hello -

It seems that you have a modified copy of the UW imap toolkit.  The 
command
 	make -DWITH_SSH_AND_PLAINTEXT PASSWDTYPE=std IP=6
is not used with the unmodified UW distribution.

In particular, I do not know what -DWITH_SSH_AND_PLAINTEXT does, since 
that is not a configuration parameter in the version that I wrote.

You can obtain an unmodified copy of UW IMAP from:
 	ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.Z

The correct build for FreeBSD in unmodified UW IMAP is:
 	make bsf

You reported that you are getting a "Login disabled" syslog.

"Login disabled" means that an attempt was made to use a plaintext 
authentication mechanism (LOGIN, AUTHENTICATE PLAIN, AUTHENTICATE LOGIN) 
in a session that is not protected by SSL or TLS encryption.  This is in 
compliance with RFC 3501 sections 6.1.1, 6.2.3, 7.2.1, and 11.2.

To avoid this, you must install SSL/TLS certificates (as described in the 
imap-2004g/docs/SSLBUILD file) and use a client capable of SSL or TLS. 
Alternatively, you must disable unsecured plaintext prohibition with 
SSLTYPE=none or SSLTYPE=unix (but note that doing so exposes passwords to 
being stolen by hackers).

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Derlis Zárate <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 10:24:30 -0300

Hi, 

I download imap.tar.Z and then I execute:

make bsf SSLTYPE=unix PASSWDTYPE=std IP=6

Now, I can do login but not yet it verifies the expiration of users (listed in /etc/master.passwd)

A user with the expired account, can do login and read his messages. 

I want to avoid this. ¿It is necessary that it modifies the source code?

Other question:
After make with the options mentioned above I try to install the programs executing the comand
 # make install 

But appears this message:
"make: don't know how to make install. Stop"

I will appreciate your suggestions

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 17:59:49 -0800 (PST)

---

From: "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:48:40 -0500 (EST)

> I want to avoid this. ¿It is necessary that it modifies the source code?

Apparently, from a quick google, if you're using PAM, the pam_unix account 
component checks this.  Whether or not imapd requires the "account" 
component or merely the "auth" one, I'm not sure.  Whether BSD supports 
this (the search I found was relevant to linux, but since we got our PAM 
support largely from there I don't see why not) is another question.

> "make: don't know how to make install. Stop"

the makefile does not include an install target.  Read the docs.  The 
"install" is copying of a single file to a location relevant for your 
system -- under freebsd maybe /usr/local/libexec or something?  And then 
adding it to inetd.conf.

-Dan

--

"Don't try to out-wierd me.  I get stranger things than you free with my
breakfast cereal."

-Button seen at I-CON XVII (and subsequently purchased)

--------Dan Mahoney--------
Techie,  Sysadmin,  WebGeek
Gushi on efnet/undernet IRC
ICQ: 13735144   AIM: LarpGM
Site:  http://www.gushi.org
---------------------------
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Derlis Zárate <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 12:31:45 -0300

Dan, 

Thank you very much for your help. 

I check your suggestions and it works.

When I make the program I use this options:

make bsf SSLTYPE=unix PASSWDTYPE=pam IP=6

In FreeBSD, the cclient and imap-uw ports has the install target, but the way to establish the options differs from the imap-uw documentation.

To do "make bsf SSLTYPE=unix PASSWDTYPE=pam IP=6" in the ports I execute this commands

1) cclient:
   # cd /usr/ports/mail/cclient
   # vi Makefile
     Add: MAKE_ARGS+= PASSWDTYPE=pam
   # make WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT=yes WITHOUT_IPv6=no install clean

2) imap-uw:
   # cd /usr/ports/mail/imap-uw
   # vi Makefile
     Add: MAKE_ARGS+= PASSWDTYPE=pam
     Add: MAKE_ARGS+= IP=6
   # make WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT=yes install clean

Regards,
Derlis Zárate

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:48:40 -0500 (EST)