Subject: Disconnected mode and the C-client

From: Farhad Dehghani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 10:46:32 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear fellows,
  I am implementing a MUA suitable for mobile environments based on IMAP4 
and using the c-client interface. What I need is a driver in c-client,
handling the disconnected mode of operaion. Is the support for
disconnected state of operation implemented in c-client? If so How? Is
there any documentation available in this topic? I am specially interested
in implementation of the synchronization proces.

I really appreciate any help.

Best regards, 

Farhad Dehghani
===============
Mathematical Institut			
University of Copenhagen	Phone : + 45 35 32 07 14
Universitetsparken 5		
DK-2100 Copenhagen		E-mail: [email-masked]
===========================================================

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 12:26:00 -0700 (PDT)

> in implementation of the synchronization proces.

The latest version of c-client (distributed in the imap-4 toolkit) supports
unique identifiers, which are necessary for implementing the disconnected mode
of operation.

The other portions of disconnected mode operation (e.g. keeping state of what
UIDs you have accessed in the past) are implemented in your own main program,
not in c-client.  This also includes the synchronization process; different
people have different ideas about the "right" algorithm.

---

From: Terry Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 12:35:35 -0700 (PDT)

However, at least one vendor has built a "re-play" driver for c-client
that greatly reduces the impact of disconnected ops on the main program.

There was even some talk that this replay driver might be made generally
available, but I haven't heard anything about that lately.

-teg