Subject: message that prevents opening of a mailbox through wu-imapd (fwd)

From: Dirk Pape <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:21:05 +0100

if the attached mail is in a Unix-mailbox, the mailbox appears empty or 
cannot be opened through uw-imapd. I tried two imap clients (Mulberry and 
Horde/IMP-Webmail) to verify.

Regards,
Dirk. 

Subject: 业余在家中或网吧发电子邮件宣传网站赚来每月上�
From: 中国网络创业信息中心 <[email-masked]>

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:57:10 -0800 (PST)

> Horde/IMP-Webmail) to verify.

Unfortunately, your bug report did not contain enough information to
resolve the problem, or even to reproduce the problem.

Please send a sample mailbox, containing the message, that you allege that
UW imapd can't open.  Also, please state what *version* of UW imapd has
the problem.  I built a mailbox with that message, and UW imapd had no
problem opening it.

For what it's worth, the message *is* damaged.  It appears that your virus
scanner software inserted the following lines in the middle of the
Chinese-language Subject: line, and terminated the header at that point:

X-Envelope-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Virus-Scanned: by AMaViS 0.3.12pre7-U12 [29421]
([email-masked])
X-may-be-Spam: SpamAssassin: 10.4/5.0
X-Remote-IP: 61.146.225.15
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

The actual Chinese-language subject was:

Subject:
 =?GB2312?B?0rXT4NTavNLW0LvyzfiwybeitefX09PKvP7Q+7SrzfjVvteswLTDv9TCyc/N?=
 =?GB2312?B?8tSqyMvD8bHS?=

Note that there were *two* continuation lines, not one.  Apparently your
virus-checking software doesn't implement this part of RFC 2822 correctly.

Since the Date: was at the other end of the damage, as was the correct
Content-Type, the Chinese-language text would be misinterpreted.  Perhaps
IMP and Mulberry objected to 8-bit text being called "us-ascii".

Otherwise, it looks like a perfectly valid Chinese language message, for
whatever level of "valid" that spam can be.

I'll be able to offer you more analysis if you can provide me with more
data, but maybe what I've offered you here is a start.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.

---

From: Dirk Pape <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:23:59 +0100

Hello Mark,

--Am Dienstag, 18. Februar 2003 10:59 Uhr +0100 schrieb "Chr. v. Stuckrad" 
<[email-masked]>:

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 09:57:10AM -0800, Mark Crispin wrote:
> The current version ist the one which came with came with
> Pine4.50 and contains the Date:
>  * Date:        5 November 1990
>  * Last Edited: 18 November 2002

I also attached a complete mailbox (gzipped), that cannot be opened via 
imap. I have to state, that it *can* be opened with pine directly working 
on the mailbox file and I am able to delete the message in it, so imapd and 
not only c_client must be involved.

Hope this helps,
Dirk.