Subject: unable to lock append mailbox

From: Stefan Schulte <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:33:18 +0100

Hi,

i am experiencing with UW imap and the tmail program.
My test system is a debian sarge system, I'm using the
mbx mailbox format.

Sometimes (and I don't see any dependencies) the tmail program
writes the error message "unable to lock append mailbox".
After that, tmail writes the message "retrying delivery to INBOX".
In some cases the delivery fails and sometimes the new try
succeeds.

Could anybody tell me, what this error message means and how
I can fix this error ?

Many thanks
Stefan
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 04:52:38 -0800 (�����m�W����)

> writes the error message "unable to lock append mailbox".

The most likely cause is that either the /tmp directory is protected other 
than 1777, or that the lock file protection was changed from the (correct) 
0666 to something else.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.