Subject: re: Large header fields

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 16:01:30 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, the correct way to do this is to use your own output routine via
SET_RFC822OUTPUT.  You need to count up the sizes of everything
(mail_search_addr() shows an example of a worst-case size calculation) so you
can allocate a big enough bigbuf; or alternatively do bounds checking for each
single token.  The worst-case size calculation is probably the better bet.

The 8K buffer only occurs in the SMTP and NNTP default posting routines.
There is no such limitation on the sizes of headers being read.

However, why are you generating such long To fields?  This suggests that you
are doing the wrong thing to begin with.  Nobody should ever generate 8K+
headers.

---

From: "Brenda G. Spielman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 18:04:06 -0400

I am using imap-4.4 c-client.

I have to be able to deal with large headers (in excess of 8k).   This is
going to include
modifying or replacing rfc822_write_address_full and writing an output 
(using SET_RFC822OUTPUT) routine to be used when building the headers to
send.
The excess size will be in the 'To' field which will be sent and
 also have to be retrieved & modified.

Has anyone done this & have suggestions to offer?  (I did check
imap-4.6BETA to see if the applicable routines had been modified any, and
they haven't.)

Thanks
Brenda Gates Spielman
[email-masked]
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------