Subject: dynamic libraries imapd

From: Mike Klein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:28:15 -0600

Does imapd, versions prior to the 4.61, use dynamic linking for 
libraries, or, are the libraries included in the executable? I'm on aix 
5.2 and use gcc to do the builds. The problem revolves around libiconv! 
With the ibm lib, it works, but other things don't. With the opensource 
version, other things work, but, imapd doesn't. Is there a method to 
build a fully resolved module?

Thanks

Mike Klein
Manager of System Services
Loyola University New Orleans
6363 St. Charles Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70118
(504) 865-3470

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:44:08 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Mike Klein wrote:
> Does imapd, versions prior to the 4.61, use dynamic linking for libraries, 
> or, are the libraries included in the executable? I'm on aix 5.2 and use gcc 
> to do the builds. The problem revolves around libiconv! With the ibm lib, it 
> works, but other things don't. With the opensource version, other things 
> work, but, imapd doesn't. Is there a method to build a fully resolved module?

We don't use libiconv in imapd at all.  imapd uses the c-client library's 
own internationalization routines.

If you are using a third party patch that requires libiconv, I suggest 
that you remove the patch.  Perhaps the best thing is just to run 
unmodified UW imapd, from:
 	ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.Z

Note that Pine 4.62 is expected to be released later this week.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.