Subject: uw-imapd not allowing opening of folders from external network

From: Martyn Hiemstra <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:38:35 +0200

Hi all

I have a question about uw-imapd concerning the opening of folders. I 
have just installed debian unstable and also uw-imapd.

 From the internal network everything works fine. I can do everything, 
open folders move mails to folders etc. From the internet side (outside 
my internal network), I can only view my Inbox. When I try to open a 
folder the client just hangs (either mozilla or outlook). I have set the 
permissions correctly, even to 666 on the filenames in my homedir, I 
have checked the mail log but it doesnt give any errors. Outlook does 
give a error about a timeout.

I have disabled the firewall on the client side. If I telnet from the 
client to the server then I can reach port 143.

In short, logging in works fine but opening folders just hangs the mail 
client.

Martyn

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:00:27 -0700 (PDT)

There is no distinction between "internal network" and "external network" 
in UW imapd as distributed by UW.  Debian may have made some modifications 
that created such a thing; so one of the first things that you should try 
is getting the unmodified UW imapd from:
 	ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.Z
and (build with "make ldb") see if that version works any better.

If it is the same, then I would suggest checking any firewall that you may 
have to see if it may be filtering IMAP.  Firewall filters do all sorts of 
wierd things and can lead you into a long wild goose chase blaming 
everything but the actual cause of the problem.

Good luck!

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.