Subject: Announcing Mahogany 0.23a

From: Karsten Ballueder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 09:55:48 +0100 (BST)

A new release of Mahogany has been made.

Binaries for Debian Linux i386, Debian Linux AXP, Sun
Solaris, Windows NT/98/95 and source are available
immediately, binaries for RedHat Linux 5.2 and 6.0 will
follow within the next two days. 

Announcing Mahogany Version 0.23a 
===================================================================== 

Mahogany is an OpenSource(TM) cross-platform mail and news client. It
is available for X11/Unix and MS Windows platforms, supporting a wide
range of protocols and standards, including POP3, IMAP and full MIME
support. Thanks to its built-in Python interpreter it can be extended
far beyond its original functionality.

Mahogany's wealth of features and ease of use make it one of the most
powerful clients available, providing a consistent and intuitive
interface across all supported platforms.

It aims at supporting GNOME (and KDE for that matter) and includes an
extendable address book system supporting hierarchical organisation of
entries, group aliases, searching the database and easy editing, with
support for other program`s address database formats. Currently
Mahogany`s native format and (X)Emacs` BBDB address books are
supported.

Mahogany is being developed using the free wxWindows application
framework, building on the GTK+ toolkit on Unix.

Mahogany is constantly being tested on Linux-x86, Linux-alpha,
Solaris-sparc and MS Windows. It should compile and work on any major
Unix platform.

CHANGES AGAINST RELEASE 0.22a / UPDATE :
===================================================================== 

For the Unix versions, there are few differences, minor bug fixes and
improvements, especially in the message editor, which behaves almost
perfectly now. The major new addition is the Windows version, built
from the same source as the Unix one. We hope to keep both platforms
in sync for the future, making common releases. Also, work on a MacOS
port has left the early stages and is making progress.

- First useable, public Windows release for Windows NT/95/98.
- All known (crash-inducing) bugs fixed.
- Significant message editor/viewer improvements.
- Several minor usability fixes and some significant speed-ups.

DOWNLOAD 
===================================================================== 

        http://mahogany.home.dhs.org/                  
        http://www.phy.hw.ac.uk/~karsten/Mahogany/

        ftp://ronnie.phy.hw.ac.uk/pub/Mahogany/   (UK, Europe)
        ftp://ftp.gdev.net/pub/Mahogany/          (US)

NEXT 
===================================================================== 

For the next release we are currently working on the following:

     completion of filtering rules/scoring code     
     asynchoronous folder access and multi-threading
     subscription management for NNTP/IMAP/newsspool 
     Templates/style-sheets for message composition and flexible reply handling 
     DND with KDE/Gnome filemanagers (now supported by wxGTK) 
     Messages sorting, threading, scoring and searching 
 possibly also:
     GPG/PGP support 
     built-in HTML viewer
     Finish the new message editor code: rich-text editing 

--
 Karsten Ballüder  http://Ballueder.home.dhs.org/  mailto:[email-masked]
 Physics Department, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS, Scotland
                     Tel. +44-(0)-131-4513068  Fax. +44-(0)-131-4513136
            "In a world without fences, who needs Gates?"