Subject: dummy driver, do I need it?

From: Alan Thew <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:06:04 +0000 (GMT)

I cannot see the need of this and it's generating a

NO Can't open ...path/dir

message, having lready (correctly) found a mbx inbox.

Thanks

-- 
Alan Thew                                       [email-masked]
Computing Services,University of Liverpool      Fax: +44 151 794-4442
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:03:29 -0800 (PST)

> message, having lready (correctly) found a mbx inbox.

Yes, the dummy driver is essential to c-client's operation.  Several 
things won't work without it.

Please describe the problem that you are having (along with what hacks 
you've made to c-client), and I'll be happy to help you towards the right 
solution.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

---

From: Alan Thew <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 19:48:09 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:03 , Mark Crispin <[email-masked]> said:

> > message, having already (correctly) found a mbx inbox.
>
I have a test imap-2002e server. I've only changed the section in
env_init.c to point the `home' directory to somewhere specific, away from
the real home dir. This takes the form of

/path/to/user

In one user dir is a mbx INBOX folder with a path

/path/to/user/INBOX

when I login to the server, I get the following back from a 'select inbox'

. select inbox
* 10439 EXISTS
* NO Can't open /path/to/user: not a selectable mailbox
* 21 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1080129274] UID validity status
* OK [UIDNEXT 10473] Predicted next UID
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\* \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)]
Permanent flags
* OK [UNSEEN 1] first unseen message in /path/to/user/INBOX
. OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed

The NO reply is when the UW server tried to open the user dir, (and based
on truss output) which appears to be what the drivers.txt file seems to
say. Why having found a valid mbx folder does it try something else as
well?

Thanks

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:58:43 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Alan Thew wrote:
> the real home dir.

What, precisely, did you do?  Did you just change the mymailboxdir() 
function (which is the proper course of action)?  Or did you do something 
else?

In particular, did you change the sysinbox() function?

That error message is not from the dummy driver.  I have a guess as to 
what is causing it, but I need more information first.

-- Mark --

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:59:35 -0800 (PST)

Another question: did you change the definition of MAILSPOOL in the 
Makefile?

-- Mark --

---

From: Alan Thew <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:09:05 +0000 (GMT)

> function (which is the proper course of action)?  Or did you do something

I changed code in the env_init function that sets the home directory. I've
had this working for years although not I concede with mbx use but unix
format.
> In particular, did you change the sysinbox() function?

No.
Thanks

Alan Thew