Subject: Problems with Google Mail SMTP

From: Akmal Khodjanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:53:15 +0500

Hello all,

Has anybody experienced problems using c-client on Google's SMTP
server? I'm trying to send a message using c-client, and that's what I
get:
Log: SMTP SERVER BUG (invalid challenge): =
Log: Can not authenticate to SMTP server: 334 =

The hostlist I'm passing to smtp_open looks like this:
smtp.gmail.com/ssl/user=[email-masked]/smtp

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

-- 
Best regards,
 Akmal                          mailto:[email-masked]
-----------------------------------
"The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax."
— Albert Einstein.

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:17:10 -0800

The SSL SMTP server on smtp.gmail.com port 465 is broken and violates the 
RFCs in multiple ways.

First, it doesn't do case-independent matching on SASL authenticator types 
(e.g. "auth plain" does not work but "auth PLAIN" does).

Second, it does not issue proper empty challenges.  It issues "334 =" 
instead of the correct "334 ".

Basically, it's a variant of the problem described in:

http://www.washington.edu/imap/IMAP-FAQs/index.html#7.47

Please contact Google and report the problem.

> smtp.gmail.com/ssl/user=[email-masked]/smtp

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.