Subject: POP Mail Delay

From: Johnathon - East Coast Computers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:41:20 -0400

I hope I have subscribe to the correct list, if not I apologize for this 
email.

I am setting up a new email server using Linux Mandrake 9.0 and 
IMAP-2001A-9MDK which I believe is UW-IMAP.  I have been having a 15-20 
second delay from the time I pop may mail to the time the server sends 
the mail.  Here is my senario:

     I have a machine running MD 9.0, Postfix, and IMAP-2001A which 
takes care of my IMAP and POP needs.  My network consists of 1 public 
class A IP address: 64.83.48.210, which is fed into my router.  My 
private IP range is 192.168....  I have TCP/IP ports 80, 25, 110 and 143 
port forwarded to my new server (192.168.1.55)  On a different machine 
on my internal network I have a mail client set up for pop.  I used 
192.168.1.55 for both the pop server and smtp server settings.  No delay 
sending or receiving. When I change the pop and smtp settings to:
mail.eastcoast-pc.com, no problem sending but receiving take approx 
15-30 seconds delay and then it give my mail client mail or nothing 
respectively...  Seems like something is timing out.
     Someone told me that DNS maybe causing the delay.  If so, what do I 
need to do to get this fixed?  Thanks for the help everyone.

Thanks,

-- 

Johnathon B. Allread
A+, MCP, MCSA, Linux User
East Coast Computers
1902 Colley Ave
Norfolk, VA 23517-1613
http://www.eastcoast-pc.com
Shop - (757) 313-7582
Fax   - (757) 313-7587
Cell   - (757) 235-5629

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Jeff Breitner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:43:27 -0400

First thing I would do is "tail /var/log/maillog | grep sendmail" (or
grep the name of your mta) and see how long it takes for the mail to be
dumped into the user's mailbox.  

If the message seems to be processed immediately, then cat the user's
inbox to confirm it's really there.  If it is really there, then run
your POP client and see if the message is delivered without the delay.
If and only if the message is there should the delay point to the POP
software.  

Suspects in this should be locking on the inbox, or perhaps locking on
the inbox from other IMAP or POP processes.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of 
> Johnathon - East Coast Computers
> Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 1:41 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: POP Mail Delay
> 
> 
> sending or receiving. When I change the pop and smtp settings 
> to: mail.eastcoast-pc.com, no problem sending but receiving 
> take approx