Subject: RE: [Imap-uw] IMAP With SSHA

From: "Urciolo, Kevin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:28:06 -0400

I was thinking that "other" would take care of it.  I copied my "other"
entries to "imap" entries however, to see what would happen.  It does
not seem to make a difference. hmmmm...

On solaris they stick everything into one big pam.conf file.

kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Mark Crispin
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 3:12 PM
To: Urciolo, Kevin
Cc: UW IMAP Software Interest List
Subject: RE: [Imap-uw] IMAP With SSHA

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Urciolo, Kevin wrote:
> I tried this yesterday actually.  However, I am still having problems.
> I am not sure what is going on at the moment.  I am not getting debug 
> from pam in the logs showing that it is being hit.  The screen shots 
> show the error from the client and the client configuration.

Did you set up an IMAP PAM authenticator?  That is required.

On most systems, this would be /etc/pam.d/imap but I don't know for
certain what it would be on Solaris.  On my system, I just copied
/etc/pam.d/ftpd to /etc/pam.d/imap and /etc/pam.d/pop (the latter if you
use ipop3d).

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:49:44 -0800

> not seem to make a difference. hmmmm...

Make sure that you are using SSL or TLS encryption in your IMAP client. 
By default, plaintext password authentication is *NOT* permitted unless 
there is SSL or TLS encryption.

Modern well-written clients, such as Pine, negotiate TLS automatically if 
you do not specify SSL.  Older and poorly-written clients will attempt to 
do insecure password authentication without encryption; this will not 
work and you must instruct those clients to use SSL.

Also, be sure that you set up SSL/TLS certificates for the IMAP server as 
described in the SSLBUILD documentation file.

-- Mark --