Subject: imap control users?

From: "Philipp Gaschütz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 00:51:11 +0100

Hi all!

...I`m quite new to UW IMAP, so please forgive if I missed something
;)...

well... I just wanted to know if there is an option, of if someone has
already written a patch to allow/disallow users to login to the imap
server... recognized by the user id... not by IP

thanks to all!,

-philipp

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 16:29:15 -0800 (PST)

> server... recognized by the user id... not by IP

There isn't any such option in the software as distributed.  Do you intend
just to disallow IMAP access?

Or, do you want to disallow all access?  If so, the easiest way is to insert a
"*" in front of the user's password in the /etc/passwd file.  That will
prevent all forms of access, but preserve the password when you want to allow
the user again (just delete the "*").

---

From: "Philipp Gaschütz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 02:10:35 +0100

> "*" in front of the user's password in the /etc/passwd file.  That will

hmm.... Actually I wanted to allow access to IMAP only to certain users,
all other users thus shall have access to other services..

-philipp

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 17:13:51 -0800 (PST)

> all other users thus shall have access to other services..

OK, there's no way to do this in UW imapd as distributed, but it's easy enough
to implement.  The routine that you want to hack is loginpw(), in file
ckp_???.c (where ??? depends upon the type of system you use).

I never implemented anything like this, mainly because I've never been
particularly interested in denying users access to IMAP!  ;-)