Subject: Several patches for uwimap, please review

From: Marc MERLIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 19:55:20 -0800

[Jauder Bcced]

I have written and maintain a few patches against uwimap

I've actually been using them at VA Software (formerly VA Linux Systems) for
more than a year, with the exception of the anti FS wandering patch, which I
just wrote.

The whole thing is here:
http://marc.merlins.org/linux/uwimap/

The 4 patches are:
* Verbose logs of connections (straight port from Jauder Ho's patch)
* Hiding of .  files so that list  "" "%" doesn't show all  the hidden files
  and dirs  in your homedir  when you use  the subscribe option  in netscape
  (initially by Jauder Ho)
* Support for conditional  MBX inbox and folders: this will  have the uwimap
  daemon  look for  /var/spool/mbx/user/INBOX,  and  autoswitch the  homedir
  location and the default folder type to MBX if that mailbox is found. This
  lets you  transparently support  both regular users  with MBOX  folders in
  their homedir,  and users  with faster  MBX folders  directly on  the mail
  server
* Anti FS wandering patch: this patch is to ensure that if one of your users
  gets his/her  password stolen, a  cracker cannot  use his account  and the
  imap  server  to  freely  browse around  your  filesystem. I'm  not  ultra
  familiar with the  uwimap code, so if you think  I missed something please
  let me know.

If Marc (not me,  the other Marc :-D), agrees to the  patches (which are all
ifdefs anyway, so adding them to the  code won't do anything unless you turn
them on at compile time), it would be nice to roll them out in the main tree

Thanks,
Marc
-- 
Microsoft is to operating systems & security ....
                                      .... what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking
  
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/   |   Finger [email-masked] for PGP key
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Marc MERLIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 16:27:38 -0800

> http://marc.merlins.org/linux/uwimap/
(...)
>   familiar with the  uwimap code, so if you think  I missed something please

I noticed that some clients tried to access ~/mailbox and
/var/spool/mail/login which my patch would both block.
It now only blocks ~ if it isn't followed by NULL or '/'
select /var/spool/mail/foo works  too now, but any other  select that starts
with '/' is blocked (including  select /home/login/inbox, but clients should
not issue that since  they are not supposed to know that  my homedirs are in
/home)

(netscape was happy without those two modifications)

Again, applying  the patch won't  hurt since it's  all ifdeffed, but  if you
enable it, you should make sure that all your imap clients are happy with it
(mine are now)

The web page has been updated with a new version of the patch

Feedback on this is appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc