Subject: [Imap-uw] imap2000 directly to imap2004

From: "Marcelo Coelho Galeti - GMail" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 09:07:07 -0300

Hello Guys,

I just started to work in a company where they have Imap2000a in a Conectiva 
Linux Box version 8 (like RedHat)
and we have performance problems with ImapXOutlook. I would like to upgrade 
to the last imap .. imap2004.

There is some upgrade procedure or will I do a new installation ?
If I can upgrade, can I go directly from 2000 to 2004 ?
Is it possible to leave both version and only activate the 2004 when I am 
sure about the good installation ?

Very Very thanks and congratulations for you work !!
Nice week !

Marcelo Galeti 

_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 09:55:46 -0700

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005, Marcelo Coelho Galeti - GMail wrote:
> There is some upgrade procedure or will I do a new installation ? If I 
> can upgrade, can I go directly from 2000 to 2004 ? Is it possible to 
> leave both version and only activate the 2004 when I am sure about the 
> good installation ?

As long as there are no modifications to your copy of 2000, upgrading to 
the current version (2004f) is as straightforward as compiling the new 
sources and replacing the imapd binary.

If there are modifications to your copy of 2000, and you depend upon those 
modifications, then you will have to copy those modifications to 2004f 
first.  Problems may arise if your copy of the older version was modified 
by a third party, and you don't know what those modifications are.

Unless you have special needs, I recommend that you not run a modified 
version, and instead run the unmodified distribution directly from UW. 
That way, you can always upgrade easily without having to worry about 
losing a modification.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: "Marcelo Coelho Galeti - GMail" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 20:23:59 -0300

Hello Mark,

First of all .. thanks by this fast help !!

I am 100% sure my version is the UW original and because of this I will go 
ahead with the upgrade.
Let me ask you more something:

If I
-find the imapd file,
-do a backup of this file,
-compile the new one
-ONLY REPLACE the old imapd with the new imapd
-restart inetd service

the imap2004 service will work properly ? and if necessary, I can use the 
imapd backuped file
to restore to an old enviroment ?

I mean .. the imapd file is the only thing I need to backup ? Not libraries, 
.conf files, other ?

Nice weekend,

Marcelo Galeti

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 19:28:29 -0700

> to restore to an old enviroment ?

Yes and yes.

It is not necessary to restart inetd.

> I mean .. the imapd file is the only thing I need to backup ? Not libraries, 

Correct, if you use a build from unmodified UW sources.  I can't speak 
about modified sources.

-- Mark --

---

From: "Marcelo Coelho Galeti - GMail" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:32:03 -0300

Hello Mark,

Thank you very much ! I compiled the code and this weekend I will do some 
tests.

Can I use your knowledge more one time ?
My imap have a strange behavior and I dont know if this is because the old 
IMAP2000 version:

After the client click in some folder, or send or receive, the client spent 
10, 12 seconds to start
the process .. if I look with ethereal I can see this:

-Click send/receive
- In the same second I saw a connection in the mail server
TCP 2813 > imap2 [SYN] Seq=2267293776 Ack=0 Win=16384 Len=0 MSS=1280 62 
imap2
TCP imap2 > 2813 [SYN, ACK] Seq=3517919463 Ack=2267293777 Win=5840 Len=0 
MSS=1460 62 2813
TCP 2813 > imap2 [ACK] Seq=2267293777 Ack=3517919464 Win=16640 Len=0 60 
imap2

stop 10, 12 seconds and, only after this, the imap go ahead

TCP 52352 > smtp [SYN] Seq=3393363720 Ack=0 Win=5840 Len=0 MSS=1400 
TSV=204104988 TSER=0 WS=0 74 smtp
TCP smtp > 52352 [SYN, ACK] Seq=3556837017 Ack=3393363721 Win=5792 Len=0 
MSS=1460 TSV=19616215 TSER=204104988 WS=0 74 52352
TCP 52352 > smtp [ACK] Seq=3393363721 Ack=3556837018 Win=5840 Len=0 
TSV=204105014 TSER=19616215 66 smtp
SMTP Command: HELO test.de 85 smtp
TCP smtp > 52352 [ACK] Seq=3556837018 Ack=3393363740 Win=5792 Len=0 
TSV=19616241 TSER=204105014 66 52352
SMTP Response: 220 mail.huf.com.br ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.6p2/8.11.6; Sat, 10 
Sep 2005 20:26:50 -0300 151 52352
SMTP Response: 250 mail.huf.com.br Hello [192.168.1.6], pleased to meet you 
174 52352
TCP 52352 > smtp [ACK] Seq=3393363740 Ack=3556837103 Win=5840 Len=0 
TSV=204105040 TSER=19616241 66 smtp
TCP 52352 > smtp [FIN, ACK] Seq=3393363740 Ack=3556837212 Win=5840 Len=0 
TSV=204105041 TSER=19616241 66 smtp
TCP smtp > 52352 [ACK] Seq=3556837212 Ack=3393363741 Win=5792 Len=0 
TSV=19616268 TSER=204105041 66 52352
IMAP Response: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4REV1 STARTTLS LOGIN-REFERRALS 
AUTH=LOGIN] mail2.huf.com.br IMAP4rev1 2000.287cl at Sat, 10 Sep 2005 
20:26:51 -0300 (BRT) 204 2813
TCP 2813 > imap2 [ACK] Seq=2267293777 Ack=3517919614 Win=16490 Len=0 60 
imap2

Is this some knowed problem ?

Best Regards and nice weekend

Marcelo Galeti

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Mark Crispin" <[email-masked]>
To: "Marcelo Coelho Galeti - GMail" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2005 11:28 PM
Subject: Re: [Imap-uw] imap2000 directly to imap2004

>> I mean .. the imapd file is the only thing I need to backup ? Not 
>> libraries, .conf files, other ?
>

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:59:56 -0700 (PDT)

Since your copy of imap-2000c1 has been hacked, I can not speak 
authoritatively about its behavior.  I have no knowledge of the hacks put 
in by other people.

I can not tell if that strange connection to the SMTP server is the result 
of some RedHat hack or not.  If it always happens, then I guess that it is 
some RedHat hack.

Does the problem goes away when you update to imap-2004f (directly from 
UW, so unhacked)?  If so, then it probably was something that RedHat did; 
and since you are now running unhacked code you can forget about it.

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Marcelo Coelho Galeti - GMail wrote:

> TCP 2813 > imap2 [SYN] Seq=2267293776 Ack=0 Win=16384 Len=0 MSS=1280 62 imap2
> TCP 2813 > imap2 [ACK] Seq=2267293777 Ack=3517919464 Win=16640 Len=0 60 imap2
>
>
> TCP 2813 > imap2 [ACK] Seq=2267293777 Ack=3517919614 Win=16490 Len=0 60 imap2
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Crispin" <[email-masked]>

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw