Subject: bug discovered in UW imapd server

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1992 21:32:06 -0800 (PST)

In the course of adding support for the IMAP2bis APPEND command to c-client, I
discovered that the UW IMAP server didn't properly handle literals from the
client to the server.  Specifically, the `+' response to prompt for more
output did not get transmitted until after the literal was transmitted.

This bug did not show up in the current version of c-client.  Client literals
were only used for passwords in LOGIN and mailbox names in SELECT, and the
complete command was sent in one chunk instead of waiting for the `+' response
as the specification says.  This was an expedient kludge to handle certain
bizarre passwords and mailbox names until I implemented it right.  Well, I
implemented it right today.

The bug is fixed in the 2.2 distribution of c-client, now available on
ftp.cac.washington.edu as mail/imap.tar.Z (which is a link to imap-2.2.tar.Z).
I urge developers to pick up this version as soon as possible, since there
will be interoperability problems with support for the new APPEND command (as
well as funny characters in passwords and mailbox names) until the older
versions of imapd are exterminated.

This new version also has the fix for certain base64 conversions outlined by
Laurence Lundblade in his announcement to the Pine list, as well as the change
to the IMAP client software to do client literals right.  It would probably be
prudent to hold off on using the new c-client/imap2.c in this new version
until you have made sure that the new imapd is deployed.