Subject: Hostnames for hostless addresses

From: Laurence Lundblade <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1992 14:14:05 +0300 (IDT)

Hello,
  I'm looking for a way to tell the c-client what address to use
when qualifying domainless addresses. Right now it use the result
of gethostbyname (the /etc/hosts, YP and DNS lookup). This
results in an address with a hostname in it, where it might be
better not to have one. Also, one can't always control what the
hostname is set too. I realize that it would be best to have the
addresses in the mail files fully qualified, but that isn't
possible in this case. 
  Could either an argument be added to mail_open, or a
mail_setdomain() call be added to set the domain name so the
calling program could control this? Then for example in Pine,
all the domain names would be consistent.

Thanks...

Laurence Lundblade                                      206-543-5617
  [email-masked]
    Computing and Communications, University of Washington, Seattle 
      (Temporarily abroad till Sept 19; reply to [email-masked])

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1992 02:35:11 -0700 (PDT)

> all the domain names would be consistent.

The very latest c-client (not yet publicly released) makes this available via
a global char* variable called lhostn which the main program can set.  If it
does not, c-client defaults it as before.