Subject: IMAP clients report no messages or error

From: "Andrew Ziem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 11:31:19 -0600

I just installed the new UW IMAP server.  I run Linux Mandrake 8.1.

My mail clients (KMail, Netscape, and Squirrelmail) either report that there 
are no messages or that there is an error. For example, Squirrelmail says 
that LOGIN is unsupported. Netscape says there are no messages.

I tried the prebuilt imap-bin.linux-redhat build from UW's ftp and also 
built my own, and both give the same results.

According to the recommendation in the IMAP FAQ, I have looked, and there is 
mail in the file /var/mail/spool/andrew for the account I'm interested in. 
It's also valid. The first few bytes read "From..."

Is my imapd built with the wrong options (the wrong authentican method), or 
is it looking in the wrong place for the mail, or is postfix putting the 
mail in the wrong place? Do I need to worry about different kinds of 
mailboxes?

When I telnet to the server (telnet localhost 143), shouldn't I be able to 
type "a001 login andrew password"?  I tried that, and the server responds 
"a001 BAD Command unrecognized: LOGIN."

Andy
Is Jesus Christ the Answer?  Find out!
http://www.christiananswers.net/gospel/index.html

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 10:45:55 -0700 (PDT)

> "a001 BAD Command unrecognized: LOGIN."

What did it say in the server greeting message when you did "telnet localhost
143"?