Subject: Setting up UW 4.5 for login referrals and mailbox referrals

From: "Kevin W. Mullet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:27:35 -0500 (CDT)

How do I do RFC 2221 login referrals and RFC 2193 mailbox referrals in
UW 4.5?  I get the impression from the "capabilities" output that this is
possible.

I suspect it might have something to do with "remote names" facility
discussed in section III of docs/naming.txt, but I don't see how that
can result in RFC2221- or RFC2193-style redirection, unless I'm
misreading the RFCs or the UW docs.  (entirely possible)

Hoping this isn't a "blackbox mode only" thing,

-KwM-

--
Kevin W. Mullet                         Network Security and Performance
E-Mail: [email-masked]                     Data Communications
Voice:  1.940.565.4742                  Computing Center
FAX:    1.940.565.4060                  University of North Texas
TDD:    1.800.735.2989                  PO Box 305398
http://www.unt.edu/                     Denton, TX 76203-5398
Caveat: Nothing in this message is any entity's official opinion.
      "Never anthropomorphize computers; they hate that."

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:34:57 -0700 (PDT)

No, it has nothing to do with remote names or blackbox.

The way to get referrals is to write code that interfaces with your accounting
system and/or message store to do the referrals.

---

From: "Kevin W. Mullet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:58:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Mark Crispin wrote:
[...]
> Subject: re: Setting up UW 4.5 for login referrals and mailbox referrals
> 

Apart from the modularity afforded UW through the c-client API, then,
is there anything about UW that makes it more or less able to do login
and mailbox referrals than other IMAP servers that don't necessarily do
it "out of the box"?

Are there specific hooks (could you direct me where?) for supporting
these referrals that are the rationale for listing those capabilities
in the "capabilities" output?

Cheers,

-KwM-

http://people.unt.edu/~kwm/             Denton, TX 76203-5398

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:04:56 -0700 (PDT)

> and mailbox referrals than other IMAP servers that don't necessarily do

I'm not sure that I understand this question.

Other servers generally come with their own mail store and account management
mechanisms.  UW imapd, on the other hand, exports the UNIX filesystem as a
mail store and UNIX accounts for account management.  It was designed to be
easy to hack to interoperate with what you already had, as opposed to making
you adjust yourself to fit it.

> in the "capabilities" output?

Yes.

Any driver can generate a mailbox referral, and any authenticator (or login
module) can generate a login referral.  It just needs to do the appropriate
mm_log() call.  This would be done with no change at all to imapd.c

---

From: Lai Yiu Fai <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:35:06 +0800

> mm_log() call.  This would be done with no change at all to imapd.c

Could you include some sample code in UW IMAP distribution to show how login
and mailbox referral are done?   I'm more interested on LOGIN referral to
distribute users mailbox to different servers.  A simple text file for storing
mapping of user and mailbox servers should be sufficed to show the programming
technique.

Rgds,
Ken

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:39:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:35:06 +0800, Lai Yiu Fai wrote:
> distribute users mailbox to different servers.  A simple text file for
> storing mapping of user and mailbox servers should be sufficed to show the
> programming technique.

I'll see what I can do; but I'm rather swamped right now, so I can't promise
anything soon.

In the simplest example, all you need to do for a login referral is edit the
ckp_???.c (if you want to reject the login) or log_???.c (if you want to allow
the login) file to consult your referral file, and then generate an mm_log()
message with errflg NIL to issue a referral (but still allow login) or ERROR
(deny login).  The text of the mm_log() string should be in the form of a
login referral as described in the RFC.

---

From: Alan Thew <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:40:06 +0100 (BST)

This is a rather belated `me too' . I would be interested if anyone has
developed login referals with the UW software.

Thanks.

-- 
Alan Thew                                       [email-masked]
Computing Services,University of Liverpool      Fax: +44 151 794-4442