Subject: simultaneous access to incoming spool file by c-client and postfix

From: Mark Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:11:01 +0200

Please consider 2 situations where messages are moved from spool files
into mbx INBOX files in users home directories:

A. c-client software automatically moves mail when software accesses
incoming spool file.
B. Someone explicitly invokes "mailutil appenddelete".

The question is: Can corruption of the incoming spool file arise due to
conflicts with software (such as postfix) that is delivering mail to the
spool file? If so, what measures should be taken to prevent this from
happening?

Thanks.
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:45:34 -0700 (PDT)

The simple answer to your question is "no" and "no such measures are 
necessary".

However, make sure that NFS is not involved in accessing the mailbox file 
or the /tmp directory.

> spool file? If so, what measures should be taken to prevent this from

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.