Subject: IMAP server on AIX 4.3.3

From: Tiago Fioreze <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 22:57:09 -0300

Hi all !!!

       I am needing to compile the IMAP2000 source code on an AIX 4.3.3 server, 
but the makefile does not list AIX 4.3.3 port. Somebody can help me ?
     
       Thanks in advance !!!

       Tiago Fioreze
      
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 18:19:15 -0800 (PST)

> but the makefile does not list AIX 4.3.3 port. Somebody can help me ?

Use the AIX 4.1 port (a41).

There is not a separate port for every version.  A new port is created only
when there is some incompatibility in a new system that breaks the current
port.

---

From: Mark Elvers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 15:24:23 +0000 (GMT)

I have the following message which c-client describes as TEXT/PLAIN,
CHARSET=US-ASCII.  Am I correct to assume that this is because this
message header does not properly describe the HTML content or is there
some other problem.  It does not have a "Mime-Version: x.x" tag.

I'm using imapd from IMAP-2000c on Solaris 8 with GCC, but have just
download and shown the same issue with imap-2002.DEV.SNAP-0203071604.
I'm using c-client from imap-2001a for my development work under Linux.

I use pine 4.44 as my mail client and it treats this message as plain text
- rather than filtering it, as it normally does with HTML messages.
Outlook Express 6 seems to 'detect' the HTML content.

Thanks for any comments.

Regards

Mark

Return-Path: <[email-masked]>
Received: via tmail-2000(13) for u2219; Fri, 8 Mar 2002 22:19:13 +0000
(GMT)
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1])
        by mango.telerian.net (8.11.4/8.11.4) with ESMTP id g28MJB022444
        for <xxxxxxxx@localhost>; Fri, 8 Mar 2002 22:19:12 GMT
Received: from mail.ision.net.uk [195.7.224.56]
        by localhost with POP3 (fetchmail-5.8.10)
        for xxxxxxxx@localhost (single-drop); Fri, 08 Mar 2002 22:19:12
+0000 (GMT)
Received: by noman (mbox xxxxxxxx)
 (with Cubic Circle's cucipop (v1.31 1998/05/13) Fri Mar  8 22:19:11 2002)
X-From_: daemon Fri Mar  8 21:27:09 2002
Received: from listserv.advfn.com (ip212.161.99.147.advfn.com
[212.161.99.147] (may be forged))
        by noman.hosts.ision.net.uk (8.11.3/8.11.3) with ESMTP id
g28LR9A18642
        for <[email-masked]>; Fri, 8 Mar 2002 21:27:09 GMT
To: [email-masked]
From: ADVFN Newsdesk <[email-masked]>
Subject: ADVFN news bulletin
Date: Fri,  8 Mar 2002 18:09:04 +0000 (GMT)

Sponsored by <a href="http://www.iii.co.uk/go?c=76yk7d"
target="view_window">ample.com.</a>, where you can buy your ISA online in
10 mins.<br><br>RECOVERY HOPES SUPPORTED BY BETTER THAN EXPECTED US
DATA<br><br>UK technology shares remained firm in a sliding market by
the<br>close of trade, matching their Wall Street peers as recovery hopes
were<br>supported by better than expected US data and some upbeat comments
from Intel<br>and Sun overnight, dealers said.<br>
***************************************************************************
*************************

---

From: Vadim Zeitlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 16:57:01 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 9 Mar 2002 15:24:23 +0000 (GMT) Mark Elvers <[email-masked]> wrote:

ME> I have the following message which c-client describes as TEXT/PLAIN,
ME> CHARSET=US-ASCII.  Am I correct to assume that this is because this
ME> message header does not properly describe the HTML content or is there
ME> some other problem.  It does not have a "Mime-Version: x.x" tag.

 This is the problem - without this header c-client doesn't parse
Content-Type at all (as it only makes sense for MIME-conforming messages
which, by definition, do have Mime-Version).

ME> I use pine 4.44 as my mail client and it treats this message as plain text
ME> - rather than filtering it, as it normally does with HTML messages.
ME> Outlook Express 6 seems to 'detect' the HTML content.

 The problem is not in Pine, the mailer which produced this message is
totally broken.

 Regards,
VZ

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 08:48:46 -0800 (PST)

> which, by definition, do have Mime-Version).

Right.  Content-Type: without a MIME-Version: indicates messages which comply
to an older standard which c-client doesn't support.  "TEXT/HTML" was not
valid in that older standard either.

---

From: Lars Hallberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 17:22:17 +0100

>Outlook Express 6 seems to 'detect' the HTML content.

A lot of ms pruducts ignore the contets type and display stuff at ther 
own will. That is by all mean *sometimes* usefull - but is generally to 
be considered a bug!

If You want, You can analyse the contents to detect if the contents type 
is wrong - and offer the user the *option* to view it in another way. 
But silently overruling it like ms does is not anything I would recomend.

The bottom line is - the message is broken!

/LaH