Subject: smtp support in c-client

From: Richard A Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 13:11:48 -0500 (EST)

I was able to get sasl authentication working betwixt c-client(PINE)
and sendmail 8.11.1 without any problems ;-}

I'm having difficulty in getting TLS encryption/authentication going,
however.   It seems the rest of the SSL support is geared towards
wrappers - not selectable like sendmail starttls.

Is there an easy way to coerce pine/c-client to assume the sendmail
server is running under sslwrap ? (like having pine support port names
instead of simply numbers on the smtp-server ?)

Once this is working, it'd be nice (and fairly easy) to extend c-clients
handling of ehlo responces to notice the STARTTLS responce and dynamically
start encryption.

Then, theres ssl authentication ...  probably at first just brute forcing
the noverify (my server has self-signed certs).

Is anyone else working/looking in this direction?
-- 
Rick Nelson
Life'll kill ya                         -- Warren Zevon
Then you'll be dead                     -- Life'll kill ya

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:06:09 -0500 (EST)

> Is anyone else working/looking in this direction?

Hi Richard,

I assume you're using the debian version? :-)

That's c-client 4.7.  the version in imap2000 (which I am packaging write
now) has much greater support.  From the FAQ:

Q: Can I use TLS and the STARTTLS facility?
A: Yes.  imap-2000 supports SSL client functionality for IMAP, POP3, SMTP,
    and NNTP; and SSL and TLS server functionality for IMAP and POP3.  This
    is available on UNIX, and 32-bit Windows.
   UNIX SSL build requires that a third-party software package, OpenSSL, be
    installed on the system first.  Read imap-2000/docs/SSLBUILD for more
    information.

I will make a seperate libc-client2000-ssl which will have this support
compiled in.

Hope this helps.

-- 
Jaldhar H. Vyas <[email-masked]>

---

From: Richard A Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:56:55 -0500 (EST)

> I assume you're using the debian version? :-)

I have the Debian c-client 4.7, yes - but this came up when I built
pine 4.30 (for home/work usage).

> now) has much greater support.  From the FAQ:

Indeed, thats the functionality in the c-client that comes with pine 4.30
that I'm trying to get working.

> I will make a seperate libc-client2000-ssl which will have this support

Cool, I've been thinking of modifying pine to use the libc-client.so
instead of of the .a file - for easier upgrades.