Subject: failure of Netscape Messenger to connect to IMAP server

From: Barry Cornelius <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:41:18 +0100 (BST)

We are having two problems with using Netscape Messenger 4.61 on Windows
NT using IMAP to connect to a UW IMAP server running on a Solaris 2.6 box.
Until early yesterday, we were using imap-4.2:  we are now testing
imap-4.6.BETA (with unix_old_algorithm = T). 

Problem 1: Sometimes when clicking on the "Get Msg" button, Messenger
waits with a dialog box saying: 
   Getting New Messages
   Status: Connect: looking up host imaphost.dur.ac.uk
It fails to get any further.  The dialog box has a Cancel button.  If you
click on this and then click on the "Get Msg" button again, it succeeds. 

Problem 2: Sometimes when using Messenger's Message Composition window,
although sending the message is successful it says that it is unable to
write a copy of the message to the Sent folder.  The Sent folder and all
other folders have been configured to be IMAP folders.  Although I have
frequently seen this with imap-4.2 I have yet to see it with
imap-4.6.BETA but I've only been using that during the last day.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

--
Barry Cornelius                      Telephone: (0191 or +44 191) 374 4717
User Services, Information Technology Service,            Office: 374 2892   
Science Site, University of Durham, Durham, DH1 3LE, UK      Fax: 374 7759
http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcl0bjc          mailto:[email-masked]

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Guy Dawson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:10:03 +0100

> imap-4.6.BETA (with unix_old_algorithm = T).

I'm seeing both problems on the following setup

	WinNT client with Netscape Communicator 4.6
	BSD/OS V4.0.1 server with imap-4.6.BETA and mbx folders

Guy
-- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson                    I.T. Manager              Crossflight Ltd
[email-masked]         0973  797819                 01753 776104

---

From: Barry Cornelius <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 15:06:11 +0100 (BST)

Although we have used Pine for many years, our use of Netscape Messenger
4.61 has recently started to move away from POP3 to IMAP.  We have
Messenger configured to get both the inbox and personal mail folders from
an IMAP server.  We are using the UW IMAP server running on a Solaris 2.6
box.  Although we are mainly using imap-4.2, we are also testing
imap-4.6.BETA (with unix_old_algorithm = T). 

The File/Subscribe operation of Messenger causes the IMAP server to create
a file called .mailboxlist in the user's home directory.  On our set-up,
this file has 666 permissions.  Is this meant to happen?  I would have
expected the file to have 600 permissions.  And it seems to work if the
permissions are changed to 600.  Do other people get 666?  Or is there
something wrong with what we do? 

Looking at sm_subscribe in imap-4.6.BETA/src/c-client/smanager.c, I see
that, if the .mailboxlist file does not already exist, it uses the call of
fopen to open the file:
   if (!(f = fopen (db,"a"))) {  /* append new entry */
I guess I was expecting to see something like:
   set_mbx_protections (db,mbx);
at this point (but I'm not sure if set_mbx_protections can be used at
this point).

Similarly, in sm_unsubscribe, I was expecting to see something like a call
of set_mbx_protections near to the line: 
   if (!(tf = fopen (newname,"w"))) {
This call of fopen is used to create the .mlbxlsttmp file that is later
renamed to .mailboxlist.

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 09:31:22 -0700 (PDT)

The .mailboxlist file is the "bookmarks" from LSUB; it isn't a mailbox.

If it's getting created as 666, that suggests that the default umask on your
system is 000.  I'm surprised to hear that Solaris would use that.