Subject: mbxcvt fails to convert and gives not very much detail

From: Lars Immisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 00:12:02 +0100

Dear all,

I hope this is the right place to post this question. If not, please apologize.

I am trying to import some old mailboxes into imap. For this, I use mbxcvt:

mbxcvt /some/old/mailbox imap {foo}INBOX.old

On some mailboxes, (they are all fairly large, from 31 to 80 MB), mbxcvt 
fails with: "?Message contains invalid header", on some other mailboxes, it 
fails with: "?Message contains NUL characters".

I assume that the mailboxes are indeed corrupted, but I'd like to know 
where, and fix them manually.

But I cannot find out which messages are corrupted. mbxcvt doesn't tell me, 
and I can't find out where the error message comes from.

I searched strings mbxcvt for the error messages and did a recursive grep 
on the c-client sources, nada.

I wouldn't mind hacking mbxcvt and/or c-client, but I don't know where to look.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lars

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:44:37 -0800 (PST)

> and I can't find out where the error message comes from.

These messages sound like they come from a non-UW IMAP server and not from
mbxcvt.  That probably explains why mbxcvt wasn't more informative.  You could
try seeing how many messages ended up at the IMAP server; that might tell you
which message number in the local mailbox causes the problem.

---

From: Lars Immisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 02:03:40 +0100

Dear Mark,

>which message number in the local mailbox causes the problem.

Thank you.

My IMAP server is cyrus.

Cyrus doesn't seem to import any messages if an error occurs. I was also 
hoping that would give me a clue, but no such luck.

I am currently writing some python scripts to filter out NUL characters. 
This is looking good. I don't know what to do about the invalid headers, 
but for this, I shall have have a look at the cyrus code.

Thanks a lot for mbxcvt. It is a very useful tool.

- Lars

P.S.

cyrus is horrible to install, but I was looking for an imap server that 
offers encryption and sieve, and the UW didn't seem to do either, so I am 
trying cyrus.