Subject: Odd IMAP and PHP interaction problem

From: "Gabriel O'Brien" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 10:06:03 -0400

I hope someone here can help me...  I'm not really certain where my problem is,
but it's possible I'm misunderstanding something about c-client so I figure
it's worth a shot to ask here.

I am trying to install PHP on the new server I am building and unfortunately on
some platforms you need to have the uw-imap c-client headers and libraries
installed (manually that is, they don't seem to be available when you use the
pre-packaged uw-imapd) in order to build PHP with IMAP support (which I require
for my webmail client -- Horde/IMP). At any rate below are the two build
scripts that I use for configuring Apache 2.0 and PHP 4.3.

despina root # cat build_apache.sh
#!/bin/sh

./configure --prefix=/opt/apache-2.0.49 \
--enable-so \
--enable-mods-shared="ssl usertrack info alias rewrite proxy"
despina root # cat build_php.sh
#!/bin/sh

./configure --prefix=/opt/php-4.3.6 \
--with-apxs2=/opt/apache-2.0.49/bin/apxs \
--with-mysql \
--with-imap=/usr/local/lib/c-client \
--enable-force-cgi-redirect \
--enable-discard-path \
--with-zlib \
--enable-ftp \
--with-bz2 \
--with-dom \
--enable-exif \
--with-gd \
--with-jpeg \
--with-png \
--with-gettext \
--with-mm \
--with-mcal=/usr/lib \
--with-mcrypt \

Apache (as expected builds just fine) but when I go to install PHP on top of
it,
PHP invariably produces something like:

configure: error: Cannot find imap library (libc-client.a). Please check your
IMAP installation.

I've tried all sorts of fudging around to get this to work but nothing seems to
do the trick. The first part of the problem is that there is no such .a file
called libc-client.a, but in the past I have been able to get around this
simply by creating a soft link (ln -s c-client.a /usr/local/lib/libc-client.a)
and this has done the trick (IIRC). For the record I am building c-client using
"make slx SSLTYPE=none" and then copying the c-client directory in
/usr/src/imap-2002e to /usr/local/lib.

Any kind of help would be muchly apreciated.

(I've cross posted this to the PHP mailing list and the Gentoo forums, if I
get a response I'll post it here.) I can't imagine that I'm the only one ever
to see this, or if I am then I must be doing something wrong since everybody
who uses a web based IMAP client must be seeing something similar to this...

Thanks in advance!

Peace,
Gabe
-- 
[email-masked]
http://web.quay.net/
http://web.quay.net/gpg/

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------