Subject: null character in mail

From: Bernd Wagener <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:14:37 +0200

Hello!

Yesterday I got a mail and was not able to read this mail completly. My
mail-client is Netscape 4.61 on WindowsNT, the mail-server is UW Imap
V12.50 (Imap 4.5) on Hpux 10.20. The mail is quite long and during the
copying from server to client I get the error-message from Netscape:
"The Server has disconnected...".
I'm the mail administrator and looked with vi at the file in /var/mail
on the unix-server and found a null-character into the mail (d'ont ask
me how it cames into the file!). The file is in standard unix mbox
format. 
I can read the mail up to 60%, but cannot move or delete this . I looked
in the archiv  of the c-client-list and guess, this problem is new. I
have the mail in my inbox for further testing.

Bernd Wagener
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:31:33 -0700 (PDT)

Did you try some other client?  I tried a message with an embedded NUL via
IMAP with Pine and it worked without problems.

Note that nulls are not allowed in messages according to the IMAP
specification and the DRUMS update to RFC 822.

---

From: Bernd Wagener <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:35:06 +0200

Yes, I tried Outlook Express and it works fine.

Nulls are not allowed, thats clear and I have no ideas how nulls came
into the inbox. The MTA is plain vanilla sendmail 8.9.3??