Subject: re: Is there anyway to check if IMAPD is doing md5 authentication ? [nm]

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 09:44:23 -0800 (PST)

If the response to the CAPABILITY command includes "AUTH=CRAM-MD5", it offers
MD5 authentication.

---

From: David B Funk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 21:54:55 -0600 (CST)

> If the response to the CAPABILITY command includes "AUTH=CRAM-MD5", it offers
I had a slightly different take on that question.

If an imapd server offers more than one form of authentication, how can the
sys-admin determine which form the users are actually using?

After struggling to get GSSAPI to work under HP-UX (needs the krb5-1.1.1 kit),
I wanted to know if any of my users were actually using the darnd thing. ;)
Looking at the syslogs, I couldn't tell until I added the following hack
to imapd.c:

  ***************
  *** 413,418 ****
    	  }
    	  else if (user = cpystr (mail_auth (s,imap_responder,argc,argv))) {
    	    state = SELECT;
  ! 	    syslog (LOG_INFO,"Authenticated user=%.80s host=%.80s",
   		    user,tcp_clienthost ());
    	  }
  --- 413,418 ----
    	  }
    	  else if (user = cpystr (mail_auth (s,imap_responder,argc,argv))) {
    	    state = SELECT;
  ! 	    syslog (LOG_INFO,"%.80s Authenticated user=%.80s host=%.80s",s,
   		    user,tcp_clienthost ());
    	  }

Then I started seeing syslog entries like:

  Feb 23 21:38:37 server11 imapd[17631]: GSSAPI Authenticated user=rthompso host=l-ecn039.icaen.uiowa.edu [128.255.17.159]
  Feb 23 21:41:16 server11 imapd[17754]: LOGIN Authenticated user=hsohn host=s-win02.win.icaen.uiowa.edu [128.255.19.28]

-- 
Dave Funk                                  University of Iowa
<dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu>        College of Engineering
319/335-5751   FAX: 319/384-0549           3133 Seamans Center
Sys_admin/Postmaster/cell_admin            Iowa City, IA 52242-1527