Subject: Re: Thread implementation

From: Raul Dias <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:03:52 -0200

>OK, thanks for the update.  Please let me know what you see when using just
>imapd, since that will eliminate the Perl Mail-Cclient code from the equation.
>

Done.

imapd (and c-client) is fine. The "A003 UID THREAD REFERENCES US-ASCII ALL"
command returned the corrected thread.

I also tested it with imap-2001a.RELEASE.CANDIDATE.2.  Oddly enough the results were
the same.  With Mail-Cclient the results (even the wrong ones) were not 
the same.  Probably there is something else in c-client that is influencing the bidings.

At least now I know where to dig into.

btw, why draft-ietf-imapext-thread-07.txt and other related drafts are not in the docs/ 
dir?
I just understood how the THREAD command works with imap after finding it at
 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-thread-07.txt (I bet that they are
in the ftp.cac.xxx too).

Regards,

Raul Dias

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:20:30 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:03:52 -0200, Raul Dias wrote:
> btw, why draft-ietf-imapext-thread-07.txt and other related drafts are not
> in the docs/ dir?

It's because it's an Internet Draft with an expiration, as opposed to an RFC.
If you read the introductory text you'll see that `It is inappropriate to use
Internet-Drafts as reference material or to cite them other than as "work in
progress."'

Unfortunately, IESG has gotten pretty bureaucratic and political, and so IDs
can be stalled for quite some time before they are permitted to be published
as RFCs.  In the case of SORT and THREAD, they were stalled for a long time
for political reasons, and when those politics were finally exposed for the
idiocy that they were, it's now stalled for a revision of the definition for
how non-ASCII texts are sorted.