Subject: Setting the Timeouts

From: "Ramakrishnan N." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:41:55 +0530

Hi,
  I have the UW imapd running on my Linux machine (RedHat 6.2) successfully. I can connect to the Mail Server and fetch the mails of the Users, without any problem with E-mail Clients.
    My Requirement is that, I need to change the Timeout for the Autologout, i.e. the maximum Time for which the a Session can be Idle, after the User has logged in.

Looking fwd to mails in reg. to this.

N.Ramki

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 00:13:43 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:41:55 +0530, Ramakrishnan N. wrote:
>     My Requirement is that, I need to change the Timeout for the Autologout,
> i.e. the maximum Time for which the a Session can be Idle, after the User
> has logged in.

Why do you want to do this?

The protocol sets a minimum timeout of 30 minutes.  It is NON-COMPLIANT for an
IMAP server to have a shorter timeout, and hardly anyone wants a longer
timeout.

---

From: "Ramakrishnan N." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 14:15:06 +0530

Hi,
  I actually need the Timeout to be for a longer duration. I need to Test an
Application for a set of Active Connections to my IMAP Server and it takes
more than 30 minutes for all the connections to be established. Hence I need
the Timeout to be extended.
    Is there any place, like a config file or something, where I can change
this Timeout?

Looking fwd. to mails in reg. to this.

N.Ramki

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:25:46 -0800 (PST)

>     Is there any place, like a config file or something, where I can change

The timeout is a compile-time parameter in the imapd.c source file.  It is
very easy to find, since it is at near the start of the file.

However, I still question why you need to do this, especially if you are doing
a test.  You should be keeping each connection active even while you are
creating the connections; if nothing else by sending a NOOP every 5 minutes.

I am also surprised to hear that it takes more than 30 minutes.  Are you
creating the connections synchronously in a single thread or something?