Subject: Newbie installation help request

From: "Nikolaos Nikolaou" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:08:37 -0000

Hi all,
i'm trying to compile-install imapd on an rh9.0,openssl0.9.6 and 
xinetd system but run into a few problems, i hope someone can help.
make slx SSLTYPE=none is the only build that works fine for me, it 
compiles and it can be used, however it lacks any ssl support which 
isn't what i'm looking for. If i try:
make slx SSLTYPE=unix or SSLTYPE=nopwd i get an error message about 
libcrypt.a with undefined references to dlclose and dlsym (i'm lost 
now). Also tried sl4 and sl5 to no avail.
Tried building for a pam system (since pam is installed)with:
make lnp 
and I get
SSLTYPE=none	compiles fine, server runs but no way to logon(something 

to do with pam?)
SSLTYPE=unix	,SSLTYPE=nopwd compile fine, but pointless if above not 
even working?

I've read the docs, makefiles etc with no luck. Am i missing sthg 
obvious? Instructions/pointers will be appreciated.

Regards,
Nikos

-- 
Nikolaos Nikolaou
PhD Candidate
Kingston University

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:28:46 -0800 (PST)

On Redhat, the appropriate command is "make lrh" or "make lnp".  Since you 
are using RH9.0, "make lrh" is appropriate.

You do, indeed, need to configure PAM for IMAP use.  Most likely, what you 
are missing is an /etc/pam.d/imap file but I am not an expert on PAM.

Does this help?

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

---

From: "Nikolaos Nikolaou" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:21:57 -0000

> are missing is an /etc/pam.d/imap file but I am not an expert on PAM.
<snip>
thx Mark, your answer helped in an unexpected manner. lrh does not 
compile if SSLTYPE=unix|nopwd but all this time my pam file was 
called imapd. Ever felt like banging your head against the wall? I do 
now.
Anyhow, make lnp SSLTYPE=unix|nopwd work perfectly well.

Regards,
Nikos

---

From: evol <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 20:02:42 -0800

Mark Crispin wrote:
| On Redhat, the appropriate command is "make lrh" or "make lnp".  Since
| you are using RH9.0, "make lrh" is appropriate.
|
| You do, indeed, need to configure PAM for IMAP use.  Most likely, what
| you are missing is an /etc/pam.d/imap file but I am not an expert on PAM.
|
| Does this help?
|
| -- Mark --
|
| http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
| Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
| Si vis pacem, para bellum.
|
|
Heh, I have been hacking extra functions into imap for about a year now.
there are some issues with the pam build which I have resolved. its the
pam module not the code. For along time after hacking a /etc/shells
parsing function into imap I found that pam could do it better.

the following is what to put in your redhat /etc/pam.d/imap file

file permissions you should look at before changing and back up the old
imap file in /etc/pam.d first.

Make sure you dont break the lines with some editor like nano or pico
unless you use the -w flag with them and no spaces just the raw text.
I find this particular pam recipe works best with Mark's code.

- ------------snip----------------
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_unix_auth.so try_first_pass
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_shells.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_unix_acct.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so use_first_pass
session    required     /lib/security/pam_unix_session.so
- ------------snip----------------

I would also like to thank Mark Crispin for te code base from which i
work Its been a lot of fun and sometimes painfully to hack but its a
great piece of work. Although i disagree in your ideas about
configure.auto*,
and what have you. I can not thank you enough for your contribution to
what my uses of your code have been.

So formally

thank you Mark Crispen.
your a genius.

Sincerely,

- -aaron waller