Subject: Re: [Imap-uw] imap and NFS

From: Gregory Hicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:06:57 -0800 (PST)

> Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:45:03 +1100
> From: Roy Giles <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Imap-uw] imap and NFS
> 
> Hello,
> 
> Our mail system resides on a fairly old Sparc machine running Solaris 2.6
> which is grinding to a halt; as a start in eventually moving off this machine,
> we are thinking of moving our unix style mailbox format imap server :-
> 
> IMAP4rev1 2004.357
> 
> on to a Linux box with mail still being delivered by smtp to the Solaris box.
> 
> Could anyone with experience of running imap over NFS please comment on their
> experiences pro and con, especially in the realm of locking.

Greetings:

Um-m-m-m...  What are you going to use NFS for?  Allowing the users to
mount /var/mail?  Allowing the IMAP server to mount /var/mail from the
smtp box?

I do not believe that NFS provides for sufficient locking...

I could be wrong though.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: [email-masked]

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they
be properly armed." --Alexander Hamilton

_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw