Subject: Looking for overview of c-client

From: Will Estes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 May 1994 12:53:49 -0700 (PDT)

Can someone give me a quick overview on the current status
of c-client?  

In terms of function, is it a fair summary to say that the c-client
library is really two independent families of functions: 1) a 
MIME-capable RFC-822 header parser, and 2) an IMAP-compliant 
transaction client?  Are there additional functions as well?
If all we wanted was a good MIME-capable RFC-822 header
parser, would the c-client code be useful?

If we download the imap-3.3 archive at ftp.cac.washington.edu, is 
this the best version to use for just MIME-compliant header
parsing?

-- 
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: [email-masked]
U.S. Computer           Saratoga, CA  95070

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 May 1994 15:17:58 -0700 (PDT)

> Can someone give me a quick overview on the current status

c-client is under active development.  I expect to start on fully IMAP4
support as soon as I get the new IMAP4 document finished.

> transaction client?  Are there additional functions as well?

c-client is a lot more than the above.  It provides seamless access to
messages stored in a number of different technologies; presently IMAP, NNTP,
Unix mbox, two forms of Tenex-style mail.txt, mh, mmdf, and plain files.  It
provides mechanisms by which messages can be copied from one technology to
another.  It provides an SMTP and NNTP posting client.

Basically, c-client is everything you need in an MUA except for the user
interface.

> parser, would the c-client code be useful?

Yes, but you'd be missing out of quite a bit if that was all you used c-client
for.

> this the best version to use for just MIME-compliant header

The version at ftp.cac.washington.edu is always the best version.  3.3 is the
very latest development version; note that it is frequently updated.  I only
increment version numbers at particular checkpoints.