Subject: [Imap-uw] moving mailbox to another server - mailbox empty

From: "Arjan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 02:04:32 +0100

I'm running uw-imap on 2 servers, i want to 
move an mailbox from server 1 to server 2. I 
hoped i could just copy all the files in the 
users homedirectory and it would work; but 
it doesn't.

However it shows all the maps that user 
created, it doesn't show any messages in 
those maps. When i sent an new message, it 
does appear in the inbox, but i can't move 
it to any of the maps; it gives the error 
'[TRYCREATE] UID COPY failed: No such 
destination mailbox'.

I've checked the rights etc and everything 
seems ok. Could anyone help me with this?
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Tom Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 20:47:39 -0500

>seems ok. Could anyone help me with this?
Hmmm.  This *should* work.  I'm betting it's not an imap issue, but 
rather a file permissions/ownership issue.  Please note that I'm *not* 
an expert with imap, but I do know my way around a unix box (a little.)

When you moved the home directory, how did you do it?  I recommend that 
you do the following...

We'll assume that the directory is something like:
/home/joe
and the directory large enough to hold Joe's files is in

/usr/local/bigdisk

As root,
# cd /home
# tar -cvf /usr/local/bigdisk/joes_homedir.tar /home/joe

Once the tar completes, nfs/smb/scp/sftp/ftp the tar file (in binary 
mode) to box 2.

As root on box #2, where home dirs are in /home and the source is again 
in /usr/local/bigdisk

# cd /
# tar -tvf /usr/local/bigdisk/joes_homedir.tar | more
This will confirm whether the tar file you created has the full path, 
and whether the version of tar you're using strips the leading / 
character.  This is important, particularly when you're moving from one 
flavor of unix to another, or when the destination directory tree is 
different from the source tree.

Break out of more (hit <CTRL> C)

If the path is what you expected, then run this
# tar -xvf /usr/local/bigdisk/joes_homedir.tar

This approach will preserve file date and time stamps, ownership and 
file permissions, and will grab files which begin with .
It's the way that I remember the tar command, and it works remarkably 
consistently on lots of unix variants.

The other thing to check is to make sure that Joe has the same UID on 
both boxes, and make sure that the GID is the same on both as well.  If 
it's not either fix that or chown and chgrp -R the files.  I recommend 
the former. :)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tom Cooper

>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>