Subject: ipop[23]d and NIS+?

From: [email-masked] (Jim Seymour)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:45:21 -0500 (EST)

Hi There,

We are running Sparc Solaris 2.5.1 and using NIS+.

I just built and installed imap-2002b at work.  /etc/services,
services.org_dir and /etc/inetd.conf all set.  imapd, ipop[23]d in
place with ownerships and perms all good.

Yet when somebody on a POP client (happens to be Pegasus) tried to
fetch their email, they got an "invalid password" type response from
the uw-imap POP daemon.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim
-- 
Jim Seymour                  | PGP Public Key available at:
[email-masked]         | http://www.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/pks-commands.html
http://jimsun.LinxNet.com    |
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:56:35 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

> fetch their email, they got an "invalid password" type response from

If Pegasus is not using SSL or TLS encryption, that is probably the
problem; the default build does not allow plaintext password
authentication except in SSL or TLS encrypted sessions.

If you gave the exact text of the error message from the server, it'd be
possible to determine this for sure.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.