Subject: TestInclusion funuction for c-client

From: Adam Treister <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 93 11:02:15 -0800

Mark is so responsive is providing functionality, that I just have to keep
asking....

Its pretty easy to have the client support filtered views by doing a search
right after mail_open and adding the hits to a local list.   Now I'm wondering
how arrival of new messages, and update of potentially several views onto the
Inbox will work.  (Can one assume that only the Inbox could receive unsolicited
additional messages?) 

It would be useful to have a function to test if a particular message is a hit
for a given search string. EG:

Boolean TestInclusion(long msgNo,char *criteria);

This would send a SEARCH criteria to the server, and watch if msgNo came back in
the results, hopefully without affecting the element->searched fields.

This can be as easily accomplished at the app level, but does seem a good
candidate for migration to the c-client level.

Adam

---

From: John Gardiner Myers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1993 22:40:11 -0400 (EDT)

One can most definitely *not* assume that only INBOX can receive
unsolicited additional messages.

What you might want to do is for each view filter perform a SEARCH
command restricted near the additional messages (using RECENT and/or
SINCE) and add the new hits to your view.

				_.John

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1993 19:44:04 -0700 (PDT)

> SINCE) and add the new hits to your view.

John says almost exactly what I was going to say.