Subject: Please Help: IMAP connection timeout (fwd)

From: Majid Tajamolian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:59:26 +0430 (IDT)

Is this mailing list beneficial?! I am not sure! This is the 4th time that
I send this mail to the list, but no answers as yet. Do someone receive my
mails? Please reply even with no solution!
 
-- I'm await,
   M. Tajamolian

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:52:05 +0430 (IDT)
From: Majid Tajamolian <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: IMAP connection timeout (fwd)

I forward this mail to you, in expectance that you can help me.

-- THX,
   M. Tajamolian

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 16:25:24 +0430 (IDT)
From: Majid Tajamolian <[email-masked]>
To: Pine Discussion Forum <[email-masked]>
Subject: IMAP connection timeout

Dear LIST:
I have a problem while trying to define a new folder in Incoming-Folders
collection using IMAP. I receive the following error message from PINE 
ver 4.10 after about 25 seconds:

[[CLOSED] IMAP connection broken (server response)]

The server is located out of our LAN and it seems a timeout occurs due to
our slowish connection line to the internet.
Any suggestions to overcome this problem?

-- THX in advance,
   M. Tajamolian

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:06:56 -0700 (PDT)

"IMAP connection broken (server response)" indicates that the client (in this
case, Pine) was attempting to read a response (or initial greeting) from the
server and instead the TCP session got closed.

>From the symptoms you described, it looks like something is answering a
connection to port 143 (the IMAP port) but an IMAP protocol session never
starts.

One possibility is that there are "TCP wrappers" on the server, and the client
is not on the server's list of authorized systems.  In other words, "IMAP
connection broken (server response)" is the equivalent of "TCP connection
refused".

Another possibility is that the server is set up for IMAP connections, but the
IMAP server program has not been installed on the server.