Subject: FreeBSD Imap Help

From: User NAGA <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 13:12:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!  I've been searching everywhere for Imap help on FreeBSD and
apparently this list is my last hope.   I've always used Imap in the past
but I cant seem to get the new version of FreeBSD and Imap to work
properly.

What I want:
All I want is STANDARD IMAP.   I want to be able to login directly using
Port 143 or one of my Webmail clients (which no longer work with the newer
version of imap-uw.   Everytime I try to login with this new version using
the standard port 143 on outlook or webmail I get "Login rejected" and bad
password errors.

I have read the docs thoroughly, searched all over the net and various
bulletin boards and am getting no help anywhere.

I've reinstalled imap-uw over 50 times now using everything from the
standard "make install" to the "make -DWITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT=yes
install", make SSLTYPE=unix install, "make WITHOUT_SSL=yes install" and
None of it seems to work for port 143????   Port 993 works fine but I need
the standard port 143 to work

Each time I remake and install, I make sure the following line is in my
inetd.conf file:

imap4   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/imapd    imapd

and per the install notes, though this part was new to me, I added the
following sections to my /etc/pam.conf file

imap    auth    required        pam_unix.so
imap    account required        pam_unix.so    try_first_pass
imap    session required        pam_deny.so

Can someone out there please tell me, or point me to a straightforward
explanation of how I can get imap to work Normal on port 143 or what I'm
messing up on?  I would really appreciate the help as after 3 weeks I am
literally pulling my hair out over what Used to be a VERY simple
installation procedure!

Thank you very much!

Rebecca

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: pheonix1t <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Jul 2003 20:49:21 -0500

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 15:12, User NAGA wrote:
> Port 143 

the new uw-imap works with SSL on port 993.  When you test your
connections, just choose imap and secure connection, it should work
fine.

If you want the regular port 143, you have to compile it with the NO
AUTH switch or something like that....it's in the documentation.

or one of my Webmail clients (which no longer work with the newer