Subject: unable to login in fedora

From: Andrew <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:48:29 -0500

I have been using imap-2004 without any problems. I recently upgraded to 
fedora FC2 and I can connect to the imap server, but keep getting a 
login failure. I looked in the makefile and there was not an entry for 
fedora.

suggestions.

a
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:18:52 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Andrew wrote:
> fedora FC2 and I can connect to the imap server, but keep getting a login 
> failure. I looked in the makefile and there was not an entry for fedora.

The lrh build is suitable for Fedora.

What error message do you get.  "a login failure" is not specific enough.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

---

From: Andrew <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:00:10 -0500

If I setup a  connection to the imap server which BTW before worked 
perfectly and attempt to connect (login) the client reports unable to 
connect.

If I then use telnet i.e. telnet <ip> address I get the following. 
Enclosed is a screen capture. Note the user/password is valid.

rehbein@amd64:~> telnet 192.168.1.6 imap
Trying 192.168.1.6...
Connected to 192.168.1.6.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=LOGIN] 
sneaky.dragoweb.com IMAP4rev1 2004.352 at Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:10:18 
-0500 (EST)
001 login imap imap
001 NO LOGIN failed
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.
rehbein@amd64:~>

Looking in /var/log/messages

Nov 18 13:10:33 sneaky imapd[8872]: Login failed user=imap auth=imap in 
host=[192.168.1.108]

Hope this helps.

a

Mark Crispin wrote:

>> I have been using imap-2004 without any problems. I recently upgraded 
>> to fedora FC2 and I can connect to the imap server, but keep getting 
>> a login failure. I looked in the makefile and there was not an entry 
>> for fedora.
>
>

---

From: Andrew <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:03:51 -0500

Additionally, I originally built imap as:

make lrh

But the client complained about the ssl certificate. So, I rebuilt it

make lrh SSLTYPE=none

No change.

I have since tried other build and PASSWDTYPE's no changes.

A

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:30:07 -0800 (PST)

Did you set up PAM authentication for IMAP?  Specifically, is there an 
/etc/pam.d/imap file set up?  Modern versions of Linux require this!

-- Mark --

---

From: Shawn Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:09:19 -0600

How do I go about getting the IMAP NAMESPACE from c-client?  I see 
"GET_NAMESPACE", but I would like to get the list of NAMESPACE that the 
IMAP server return.
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:39:06 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Shawn Walker wrote:
> "GET_NAMESPACE", but I would like to get the list of NAMESPACE that the IMAP 
> server return.

If the stream argument to mail_parameters() is non-NIL, then GET_NAMESPACE 
will return the namespace from the stream's driver.  This is only 
meaningful in the case of an IMAP stream.

The NIL argument to mail_parameters() returns the local c-client 
namespace as you have observed.

Cool, eh?

-- Mark --