Subject: [Imap-uw] RENAME command syntax

From: Deb Teale <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:41:32 -0600

Not clear from the documentation whether

rename "Mail/Applications/ASRIP/" "Mail/Applications/AAA/"

as used by Thunderbird when renaming directories should be acceptable.

I get back

NO RENAME failed: Can't rename Mail/Applications/ASRIP/ to
Mail/Applications/AAA/: invalid name

No problem renaming folders or moving folders

rename "Mail/Applications/ASRIP/aaa" "Mail/Applications/ASRIP2/aaa"

Running IMAP4 2004.352.

TIA,

-- 
Deborah Teale,  E-mail Consultant
Web & E-mail Services ~ Information Technologies  University of Calgary 
~ 2500 University Drive NW ~ Calgary, Alberta

_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 16:31:25 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

> as used by Thunderbird when renaming directories should be acceptable.

A trailing hierarchy separator is mentioned just once in RFC 3501; as part 
of the definition of the CREATE command and as having special semantics 
with that command.  There is no reason to believe that these semantics 
exist anywhere else; thus this is a bug in Thunderbird.

Nonetheless, I have determined that UW imapd handles a command such as 
this in an inconsistent fashion.  It actually depends upon the driver 
whether or not it works.  Because of this, and because of this reported 
behavior of Thunderbird, I have decided to make UW imapd be more 
permissive, and this will appear in the imap-2005 release.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw