Subject: outlook express and idle issues

From: "Harondel J. Sibble" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 07:19:53 -0800

The FAQ states

**************
7.38 Why don't I get any new mail notifications from Entourage? 
This is a known bug in Entourage. 
You built an older version of imapd with the MICROSOFT_BRAIN_DAMAGE option 
set, in order to disable support for the IDLE command. However, Entourage 
won't get new mail unless IDLE command support exists. 

Note: the MICROSOFT_BRAIN_DAMAGE option is removed as of imap-2002, in favor 
of a better way to work around IDLE problems. 
**************

What is the better way to deal with this problem?  I am re-reading the docs 
and the makefiles but haven't seen anything thus far.
-- 
Harondel J. Sibble 
Sibble Computer Consulting
Creating solutions for the small business and home computer user.
[email-masked] (use pgp keyid 0x3AD5C11D) http://www.pdscc.com
(604) 739-3709 (voice/fax)      (604) 686-2253 (pager)

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:24:53 -0800 (PST)

> and the makefiles but haven't seen anything thus far.

It's completely internal to the IMAP server (imapd).

At the 29th minute (one minute before the timeout), IDLE sends a fake
EXISTS for an imaginary message.  When the client responds with a DONE,
IDLE then sends an equally fake EXPUNGE to revote that imaginary message
then terminates the IDLE.  The client, finding nothing to do, will do a
new IDLE.

This avoids the client just going offline when the 30 minute timeout
expires.  The client is supposed to do this without the kludge in the
previous paragraph, but Outlook Express doesn't.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.

---

From: "Harondel J. Sibble" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:55:10 -0800

> previous paragraph, but Outlook Express doesn't.

Hmm, I wonder if I am experiencing some other problem then. Since upgrading 
the server to Imap2002, I still experience the timeouts/disconnects with OE 
with at least one user. From much net searching I was under the impression 
that that problem was caused by the number of connections OE opens to the 
server and the idle issue.