Subject: imapd and xinetd.

From: "Jesse W. Asher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 06:36:35 -0400

I recently ran into a problem with imapd running behind xinetd and I 
thought I'd share the solution in case someone else ran into it in the 
future.

I'm running RedHat 7.1 with the xinetd config files in /etc/xinetd.d.  I 
had copied one of the config files over to "imap" in that directory and 
modified it to point to the imapd binary.

The symptom I was seeing was that it seemed to take a LONG time to get 
imapd started (30-60 seconds) so that when you first authenticated or 
anytime a new imapd had to be started, there was a long delay.  Once 
imapd was started, it seemed to run fine.

My problem was that there was a "nice" value specified in the old xnetd 
config file I had copied over and that was causing the delay.  The delay 
immediately went away as soon as I removed this value and restarted xinetd.

Just thought I'd share it for the archives in case someone else runs 
into it in the future....

-- 
Jesse W. Asher

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty or safety."  - Benjamin Franklin

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------