Subject: announcing: ALPHA release of IMAP toolkit supporting IMAP4

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 1995 04:38:14 -0700 (PDT)

An alpha test release of the IMAP toolkit that supports IMAP4 is now available
on ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap-4.ALPHA.tar.Z

It is intended for c-client developers on Unix and not for production usage.
These are development sources, and the alpha test release will be updated
frequently.  Due to the nature and frequency of changes I won't be keeping an
update history until the beta release starts.

I must emphasize that this is an *ALPHA* release.  If you find a bug, you
should expect to track it down and send me an analysis and patch with the bug
report.  Expect bugs; it has not been extensively tested; and some of the code
was edited only a few hours ago.

The following are known problems/deficiencies in the alpha version:
 1) non-ANSI ports are not yet provided; if you don't have an ANSI compiler
     you're out of luck
 2) mmdf, mh, pop3, nntp client drivers on Unix are not yet provided
 3) DOS and Mac ports are not yet complete
 4) search CHARSETs other than US-ASCII are not yet supported
 5) AUTHENTICATE command in IMAP server doesn't have any
     authenticators yet (however, hooks exist for validation via
     AUTHENTICATE, although not yet for protection mechanisms)
 6) sticky UIDs are only in the bezerk driver
 7) create can not create directories
 8) no drivers support creation of keywords
 9) No \Marked or \Unmarked status is reported in LIST
10) LSUB assumes that all names are in the default hierarchy

-- Mark --

DoD #0105, R90/6 pilot  FAX: (206) 842-0758  ICBM: N 47.36'24" W 122.34'08"
TOPS-20: A Great Improvement Over Its Successors