Subject: tmail vs. mbx

From: Art Mulder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 11:29:38 -0600 (MDT)

I am having some trouble trying to get tmail to deliver into
home directories using the mbx format, and could use a little
guidance.  

Last week I grabbed the latest imap 4.3 distribution, as well
as the imap-utils.tar file.  I built c-client and tmail on an
Open BSD sparc system.  Both built and installed ok

Then I tweaked the sendmail.cf file as follows:

  ## Art Mulder - use tmail for local delivery, into home directories.
  Mlocal,         P=/usr/local/etc/tmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qPrn+,
		  S=10/30, R=20/40, E=\r\n, T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
		  A=tmail -I \#driver.mbx/INBOX $u

This Mlocal line is lifted almost verbatim from the tmail man
page.  About the only tweaking I needed to do was escaping the "#" in
front of the driver directive -- that should probably be documented
somewhere since otherwise you get some weird error messages from
tmail, complaining about a missing -I directive...

Now, when I send email to this test system, I get the following error
logged:
  Sep  8 11:22:11 caveman tmail[28350]: Not a MBX-format mailbox: INBOX
  Sep  8 11:22:11 caveman tmail[28350]: message delivery failed to
    /home/art/INBOX

I find this very puzzling, since tmail is the one that created INBOX in
the first place!  Why wouldn't it be a MBX format mailbox?  I did verify
(several times) that INBOX did not exist before sending the mail.

Any guidance appreciated.

thanks
...art

ps: Yes I read the tmail man page, and also several documentation files
    in the c-client docs directory.

------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 12:11:37 -0700 (PDT)

The -I switch to tmail was added some time ago by local request, and
subsequently was never used.  You're probably the first person who has tried
to use it, and it seems to have gotten broken with the #driver syntax.

This problem will be fixed in the next version of the imap-utils which will be
placed on the FTP server sometime this week.  For your convenience, I am
attaching a fixed version of tmail.c under separate cover.