Subject: UW IMAP toolkit 2002c is now available

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 18:12:35 -0700 (PDT)

This note is to announce the availability of the University of Washington
IMAP toolkit (which includes UW imapd, ipop3d, and mailutil) version
2002c.  This release, which is simultaneous with Pine 4.55, introduces new
functionality and addresses bugs found in earlier versions.

The most notable changes are:
 . facilities for improved POP3 and NNTP client performance
 . an new #move namespace that can make POP3 access behave more like some
    POP3 users expect it to behave
 . SORT and THREAD subject extraction now handles international strings in
    full compliance with the rules laid out in the specification
 . Kerberos authentication now extracts the login user name from the
    server principal in a more restrictive manner.  This matters only if
    you have cross-realm trusts.  Some people consider the old behavior
    to be a potential security problem.  If you have a cross-realm trust
    and expect users from any realm to be authenticated (as in the old
    behavior), you must now ensure that your Kerberos library implements
    this behavior because imapd no longer will.

More information about these changes can be found in the release notes
in file imap-2002c/docs/RELNOTES

Source code for the latest UW IMAP toolkit release is available at:

        ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.Z
	      (MD5: 54c87dc874f6564a303fc60b14513a74)

Pre-built imapd and mailutil binaries are available for a small number of
UNIX operating environments for citizens of the U.S. or Canada via:

        http://www.washington.edu/pine/getpine/

Brief instructions for building the UW IMAP toolkit on UNIX are in the
README file in the top-level directory of the tar file.  Detailed
instructions for all supported platforms are in the imap-2002c/docs/BUILD
file.

As with all UW IMAP toolkit releases, it is important that you carefully
test and determine for yourself that it performs suitably in your
environment before placing software based upon this tookit into production
use.  Thanks.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/imap-list.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------