Subject: multiple imapd processes

From: "darcy w.christ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:21:15 -0400

hi,

   i've been having some trouble with multiple imapd processes for each 
user on my system.  i'm running a redhat 7.2 and redhat 7.3 system.  
i've used both the rpm distributed from redhat and have compiled my own 
version of imapd.  With multiple processes, users experience multiple 
messages (messages that we moved to the trash appear again in the inbox) 
and messages with mismatched subjects (ie. the subjects from other 
messages).  One user gets a message using netscape6 claiming he cannot 
connect to the server, even though he does see his mail.

   i've read through the faq on file locking. everything that i've read 
suggests that redhat (linux) should not have trouble with locking, 
although that is the only guess i have for what is causing this 
trouble.  i've found the locks in my /tmp directory.  On one system, the 
lock files all begin with .8 and on the other they all begin with .3.  
Not sure. There are definitely locks for each of the processes.

   i'm hoping someone can give me some tips on how to debug this 
problem.  i really like imap and would love to use it, but in some cases 
these problems are too difficult to work with.  i appreciate any help i 
can get.  thanks.

~darcy w. christ
1000camels in a courtyard

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:34:17 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

Your problems sound like you are using NFS for the imapd processes to
access the mailbox files.  If so, there is no advanced locking to protect
you in multiple access, and you are reduced to the traditional UNIX "only
one access at a time".

> these problems are too difficult to work with.  i appreciate any help i

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.