Subject: ssl-imap support?

From: Karsten Ballueder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:22:16 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

is there any way to get c-client library to support
ssl-imap? If not, is such support planned for the future?

Thanks,
--
 Karsten Ballüder  http://Ballueder.home.dhs.org/  mailto:[email-masked]
 Physics Department, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS, Scotland
                     Tel. +44-(0)-131-4513068  Fax. +44-(0)-131-4513136
            "In a world without fences, who needs Gates?"  

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 18:07:03 +0200

> From: Karsten Ballueder [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 1999 5:22 PM
> To: c-client
> Subject: ssl-imap support?
>
>
> Hi,
>

There is no SSL code in c-client. You have a number of options if you
wish to add SSL support to c-client based product:

1. Add in the SSL support yourself. It's not an easy task, since
you'll have to change the way c-client performes it's I/O, among other
things. However, SSL toolkits that will allow you to avoid coding SSL
are readily available (see, for a free one, http://www.openssl.org).

2. Add an external SSL proxy. There are lots of those, some free, some
commercial. stunnel is a good start. With this solution, there's no
need to do any coding at all.

--
Dmitry Rubinstein

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 14:27:33 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

> ssl-imap? If not, is such support planned for the future?

I wrote complete SSL support for c-client.  Alas, due to US government
export restrictions, I can't make it available to you.  The UW IMAP
toolkit distribution is a sanitized version that does not have SSL.

We can (and do) distribute a version of PC Pine in binary only form that
supports SSL via Microsoft's SChannel interface (which means that you're
stuck with the less secure international SSL support).

If you want to go and do it yourself (e.g. using a package like OpenSSL),
you should study c-client's abstraction layers carefully.  It is possible
to add SSL support to c-client without modifying any existing c-client
source files; all you need is a source code file and a sub-makefile.

I am aware of least two third party implementations of SSL for
c-client; one of which more or less was implemented the right way (however
it is client-only, no server support).

-- Mark --

* RCW 19.190 notice: This email address is located in Washington State. *
* Unsolicited commercial email may be billed $500 per message.          *
Science doesnot emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 14:30:58 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999 [email-masked] wrote:
> things.

It is not necessary to change c-client's I/O; there are abstraction layers
which make it possible to plug in other technologies without having to
modify the client or server code.

> need to do any coding at all.

However, this is server-only, requires an extra process, and you can't use
certain other add-ons (e.g. Kerberos) with it.

-- Mark --