Subject: troubleshooting imap-uw with outlook express, error code 800ccc0e

From: "Martyn Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 17:59:42 -0000

Hi all

Having installed imap-uw2002_1,1 - I'm trying to diagnose a fault with OE5
reporting error 800ccc0e when trying to read the list of folders upon
creating
a new imap account in OE.

How can I discover what imap-uw is doing (I can't seem to find a log file)
with the
attempted connection?

Is there someone out there who has a setup similar to our intended setup who
could offer their advice:

    Exim 3.36 -> IMAP-UW -> Prayer webmail (ultimately) and/or OE

Also (OT), should I configure Exim to save emails in .mbx format into
/var/mail $user ready for IMAP-UW, or to save them as standard UNIX
mailboxes and let IMAP-UW convert them ready for the client?

Also, what does the IMAP-UW documentation mean when it refers to "black-box"
mode?

Best regards
Martyn Hill
Network Administrator
St James Independent School
London

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 19:23:32 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Martyn Hill wrote:
> Having installed imap-uw2002_1,1 - I'm trying to diagnose a fault with
> OE5 reporting error 800ccc0e when trying to read the list of folders
> upon creating a new imap account in OE.

Was the text of the error message of the form:

	The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'your_account',
	Server:'your_IMAP_server', Protocol:IMAP, Port: 143, Secure(SSL): NO,
	Socket error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800ccc0e

If so, this is the generic OE way of saying "TCP connection failed to that
server."

So, the first thing to do is to see if you can connect to the server from
the PC.  Get into a Command Prompt window, and issue the command:
	C:\> telnet your_IMAP_server 143

You should get back a response that starts with:
	* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 .....

If so, you can type:
	x logout
to get out.

If you get back anything else, then either some firewall is blocking the
connection or the server was not properly installed.  Either way, you
won't have much luck in "discover[ing] what UW imapd is doing" because it
never started.  Check your /etc/services (and NIS/Yellow Pages/NetInfo if
you have that), and your inetd or xinetd configuration.  Also check your
TCP wrappers files (/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny).

> mailboxes and let IMAP-UW convert them ready for the client?

I recommend that you do the latter.

> Also, what does the IMAP-UW documentation mean when it refers to "black-box"

Ignore the stuff about black-box mode.  If you made the mistake of
creating a /etc/c-client.cf file, I strongly recommend that you
immediately delete that file.  You need to get things working with UW
imapd in its default ("mandatory default") configuration before you even
think about making non-standard modifications.  /etc/c-client.cf is for
senior sorcerers' use, only after everything has been made to work in the
standard configuration.  Junior sorcerers and sorcerer's apprentices are
better off not having such a file.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.

---

From: "Martyn Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 14:23:32 -0000

Mark

Thank you very much. After working on something else entirely (getting samba
and samba-tng working simultaneously) and then having to reboot the server,
I find this morning that IMAP-UW is working perfectly!

The server has been rebooted several times since the imap sw was installed,
so I am none the wiser as to what was 'wrong' before. However, I can now
move on and get our full email system up and running (in between teaching
classes...)

I intend to offer a webmail interface to the staff and pupils once the core
system is operational and have had my eye on "Prayer". Do you have any
advice on this arrangement?

Thanks again.
Martyn Hill
Network Administrator

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Crispin" <[email-masked]>
To: "Martyn Hill" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "IMAP-UW" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 3:23 AM
Subject: Re: troubleshooting imap-uw with outlook express, error code
800ccc0e

---

From: Mark Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 10:40:40 -0800

> advice on this arrangement?

I don't know much about Prayer, but I thought I would suggest a webmail 
system that has worked well for me and is relatively easy to set up: 
Squirrelmail (http://www.squirrelmail.org)

Squirrelmail is all PHP, so all you need is PHP running with a web 
browser and you're good to go.  No compiling and very little setup.  
Prayer may be faster, since it compiled C, I'm not sure.  If you want to 
have Squirrelmail make SSL encrypted connections to uw-imap, you need to 
use the development version (1.4.x), other wise you can use the current 
release version (1.2.x).

Just putting it out there as an option that is known to work on many 
systems.

(By the way, if anyone is wondering, I did get Squirrelmail to work with 
SSL connections to uw-imap -- something was goofy with either my PHP or 
my OpenSSL install and updating to the latest FreeBSD ports fixed 
everything).

--
Mark Edwards
Engineer
Mr. Toad's
San Francisco, CA