Subject: MBX repair tool

From: Andrew Daviel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:45:23 -0700 (PDT)

We recently had a 20Mb MBX mailbox go bad, and I thought I 
would be able to fix it fairly quickly, convert it to Unix and back or 
something. It wasn't quite that easy. I ended up writing a repair script
in Perl which is able to repair the list in 2 passes by finding the 
message lengths and rewriting the links. It will also rebuild
the UIDs, though I see that mbxcvt is happy to do that.
I just look for string matches with Perl regex, so a valid header
in a message body would throw it.

As so often happens, I thought I was writing a "quick" script and 
didn't go look to see if it had already been done, but having written it I 
thought I might as well make it available.

ftp://andrew.triumf.ca/pub/mbxfix or http://andrew.triumf.ca/pub/mbxfix

Why Perl and not use the c-client library ? Well, I'm much better at
Perl than C, that's all.

(I guess everyone knows this, but do NOT edit an MBX file. Instead,
convert it to Unix first with mbxcvt, then edit it, then convert it back)

-- 
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376
[email-masked]

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------