Subject: charset/mailbox names

From: Ralf Utermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:34:45 +0100

Hello,

this might an easy one for the experts, but I did not find
a README or FAQ to solve this:

We have users using imap normally from their email client
but from out of office (conferences etc) they work via the webmail
gateway Squirrelmail (which also uses imap).

If the local Email client is Eudora and the users create mailboxes
containing german umlaut characters (like ü), those mailboxes
cannot be accessed via other imap clients (like Mozilla, Outlook
or Squirrelmail). Vice versa, mailbox names with umlauts created
by these clients make problems for Eudora in turn.

On the unix (AIX in our case) command line, the ones created by
Eudora look fine, while the  ones created by Mozilla, Outlook or
via Squirrelmail have some sort of encoding I never saw before;
for example a 'u umlaut' (ü) on the unix command line reads $APw-

I don't see were I can give Eudora any charset encoding and in
Mozilla we used ISO-8859-1 as well as in Squirrelmail.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Regards, Ralf
-- 
        Ralf Utermann
_____________________________________________________________________
        Universität Augsburg, Institut für Physik   --   EDV-Betreuer
        Universitätsstr.1             
        D-86135 Augsburg                     Phone:  +49-821-598-3231
        SMTP: [email-masked]         Fax: -3411
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Sebastian Hagedorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 14:16:13 +0100

> Can someone point me in the right direction?

<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2060.txt>

Section 5.1.3

Eudora is broken. Mailbox names must be in modified UTF-7.

Cheers, Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK
Universität zu Köln / Cologne University - Tel. +49-221-478-5587