Subject: What's so different between ipop3d 6.50 and 7.64?

From: Sebastian Hagedorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 17:02:45 +0100

Hi!

I've been using the UW imapd for several years, but I have always used
qpopper for POP. Now we have switched to a RedHat Linux system. Of course
I've installed the most recent imapd immediately, but I'm having trouble
with ipop3d. The version that comes with RedHat (not the most recent
distribution) is version 6.50. It works fine.

However, when I tried to replace it with version 7.64, which is part of
IMAP-4.7a, I found that Netscape users couldn't access their mail via POP
anymore.

Further examination revealed that Netscape seems to use a different kind of
authentication. For most users the logfile simply states "Login
user=xxx...", whereas it states "Authenticated user xxx..." for people who
access their mail with Netscape.

As far as I can tell this other kind of authentication doesn't work if I
substitute the new ipop3d for the old one. The logfile reads "ipop3d[xxx]:
port 110 service init from ..."

Two questions: why could that be? Should I bother with the new version at
all?

Thanks, Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 20:36:40 -0800 (PST)

Can you be more specific by what you mean by "couldn't access their mail via
POP anymore".  Do the users get an error message?  Or, what happens?

"Authenticated user=xxx" does not come from the POP3 server; it comes from the
IMAP server.  The POP3 server would say "Auth user=xxx".  So, what is the
precise message?

---

From: Sebastian Hagedorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:25:21 +0200

-- Mark Crispin <[email-masked]> is rumored to have mumbled on 
Montag, 27. März 2000 20:36 Uhr -0800 regarding re: What's so different 
between ipop3d 6.50 and 7.64? :

Thanks for your reply. At this point this is merely academic, because I got 
7.64 to run by fiddling with the PAM settings. The messages I saw came from 
the warn module in /etc/pam.d/other. We are using NIS+ for authentication. 
I had already modified most of the other PAM files, but there was none for 
POP and I had overlooked the 'other' file.

> Can you be more specific by what you mean by "couldn't access their mail
> via POP anymore".  Do the users get an error message?  Or, what happens?

Something like authentication failure, but I don't remember the exact words.

> "Authenticated user=xxx" does not come from the POP3 server; it comes
> from the IMAP server.  The POP3 server would say "Auth user=xxx".  So,
> what is the precise message?

I'm quite sure that I copied the message correctly, but now I think that it 
came from the PAM module, not from the server itself.

>> Further examination revealed that Netscape seems to use a different kind
>> of authentication. For most users the logfile simply states "Login
>> user=xxx...", whereas it states "Authenticated user xxx..." for people
>> who access their mail with Netscape.

Greetings, Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn
Ehrenfeldgürtel 156, 50823 Köln, Germany
http://www.spinfo.uni-koeln.de/~hgd/