Subject: Re: POPBEFORESMTP question

From: David B Funk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:15:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Jennifer wrote:

> Dear IMAP people
>
> I have a POPBEFORESMTP question here, and wish to get your precious help and
> advice.
>
> We have a PC mail server, FreeBSD4.3, with IMAP200C installed as mail
> demaeon.
>
> Recently we are trying to put POPBEFORESMTP features on our little mail
> server, here is the article about POPBEFORESMTP for your reference
> http://www.iecc.com/pop-before-smtp.html
> This article recommend to add some patches to file: pop_pass.c to
> demaeon--qpopper. This patch enable POPBEFORESMTP feature on mail server.
[snip..]
> Your reply will be highly appreciated.
> Jennifer Zhao

Jennifer,
This question should be directed to the "[email-masked]" mail
list as it is specific to the UWash IMAP implementation.

Using SMTPAUTH with your MTA is the best way to handle this issue, but if
you cannot do that, some kind of pop/imap-before-smtp is a work-around.

We have used the DRAC (http://mail.cc.umanitoba.ca/drac/index.html)
pop/imap-before-smtp package. It has specific 'hooks' that work with
the UWash pop & imap server.

The simple minded log-a-login-event works OK for pop, but is not
good for imap as an imap user may login once and stay connected for
hours (days?) at a time. DRAC adds code to the imapd daemon that
regularly updates the access database for each active user.

-- 
Dave Funk                                  University of Iowa
<dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu>        College of Engineering
319/335-5751   FAX: 319/384-0549           1256 Seamans Center
Sys_admin/Postmaster/cell_admin            Iowa City, IA 52242-1527
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
Better is not better, 'standard' is better. B{