Subject: Mail server 3.0 and UW c-client?

From: Nagendran Parasu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 16:32:33 -0400

Has anyone used netscape mail server with University of Washington's
c-client software? I was playing around with it. The c-client seems
to work with Netscape mail-server 2.0. With 3.0, it's not even
logging. I am getting an error saying authentication failure: This is
output in the mtest program that comes with imap software of UW

The screen capture after password..

Password: 
bmFndQ==
+ UGFzc3dvcmQA
bmFndTEyMw==
A00001 NO Authentication failure
%Authentication failure
A00002 AUTHENTICATE LOGIN
+ VXNlciBOYW1lAA==

UW's pine works well with 3.0. So is there any config I should check?

thanks,

nagu

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 13:40:24 -0700 (PDT)

I'd bring this question up with Netscape; it looks like they implemented the
"AUTHENTICATE LOGIN" feature but maybe didn't do it right.

The current release version of Pine doesn't use AUTHENTICATE LOGIN, that's why
you didn't have the problem.

---

From: Mike Macgirvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 14:01:02 -0700 (PDT)

> output in the mtest program that comes with imap software of UW

Yes, we discovered a problem with the AUTHENTICATE LOGIN mechanism early in
Preview 1. Beta 2 will be publicly available RSN. 

/* ==================== PERSONAL OPINION of ======================== */
/* Mike "The MAX" Macgirvin      mailto:[email-masked]             */
/* Postmaster General            http://www.netscape.com/people/max/ */
/* Messaging Server Development  Netscape Communications Corporation */
/* ================================================================= */

---

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 14:10:28 -0700 (PDT)

> "AUTHENTICATE LOGIN" feature but maybe didn't do it right.

Implementations shouldn't be using unspecified authentication types.  In
addition, if the rumors I heard from certain IESG members are true,
any new procotol specification defining a clear text (or equivalent)
mechanism will be rejected.