Subject: Question about IMAP disconnected operation

From: Mike Spreitzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:53:37 PDT

I have a mail handling problem that I wonder if IMAP servers and clients
can solve for me.  The verbiage I've seen about disconnected operation
and IMAP talks about a single session of disconnected operation.  That
is, it talks about creating a "cache" on some machine and then later
propagating changes from cache to server --- but not about still later
propagating even later changes from server to cache.  What I want is not
a single session but rather an ongoing relationship between the mail
stored on my home computer and the mail stored somewhere on my office
LAN.  I tend to think of this as a replicated mail repository.  I want
all my mail stored near whatever machine I'm using at a given time.  I
have a network link between home and office, but want to not use it for
interactive things (e.g., online mail access) due to bandwidth and
latency limitations.  The trick here is to get a quick update of the
laggard replica when I switch from using one replica to the other.  By
"quick" I mean to forbid simply copying the whole mail database.  That's
on the order of 10^8 bytes for me --- way too big to copy over the thin
straw between home and office.  Does IMAP "disconnected operation" do
what I want?

Thanks,
Mike

------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------