Subject: procmail and c-client?

From: David Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:18:28 +0000 (GMT)

I am new to first-hand experience with c-client, and even newer to
procmail.  So I hope the following makes sense.

We are intending to restructure our "/var/mail" directory (Solaris 2.x) 
from the default structure "/var/mail/<username>" to a non-default
"/var/mail/NN/<username>" or similar (where NN will probably be uid%100). 

Naturally we are withdrawing support for all mail user agents that use
file-based access.  And, using c-client, we can cleanly and consistently
handle IMAP, POP and sendmail delivery (tmail from imap-utils)).

But I notice that "procmail" still requires knowledge of "/var/mail"  (as
its ORGMAIL).  (1) How significant is this?  (2) Is there a version or
"procmail" that can run with c-client instead?

(I realise I could also ask this question on the "procmail" user list, and
also that it is one of those questions that, from the perspective of
either list, should be asked on the other list!) 

Thoughts, advice welcome.

-- 

:  David Lee                                I.T. Service          :
:  Systems Programmer                       Computer Centre       :
:                                           University of Durham  :
:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcl0tdl            South Road            :
:                                           Durham                :
:  Phone: +44 191 374 2882                  U.K.                  :

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Andrej Borsenkow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:26:26 +0300

> "procmail" that can run with c-client instead?

If you mean "can I use procmail as local MDA and deliver to non-standard folder by
_DEFAULT_" - answer is "no, it is not possible (without significant procmail rewriting)".

But since you mentioned tmail, I assume, you are interested in running procmail out of
your .forward files and controlling it with .procmailrc. Then yes, it is possible. Just
add something like

#
# Last resort. If we were given user+folder explicitly,
# try to deliver to this folder
#
:0
        | /tools/bin/dmail +$1

to the end of .procmailrc. This will drop all your mail to whatever default INBOX is
configured in c-client if no +detail was given (default case).

-andrej

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 23:32:51 -0800 (PST)

To follow up on Andrej's message, please note that his example invokes dmail
instead of tmail.  This point deserves emphasis.

dmail was specially designed to run under procmail, and is much friendlier
than tmail for procmail use.  tmail can work, but in general it is better to
use dmail for procmail.

tmail is intended to be called directly as the local MDA (with no procmail)
and as a result has a number of security issues that make tmail less friendly.
dmail does not have these problems (but shouldn't be called directly as the
local MDA).