Subject: Re[4]: SSL support in Windows cclient version

From: Vadim Zeitlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 23:43:24 +0100 (Romance Standard Time)

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:29:34 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time) Mark Crispin <[email-masked]> wrote:

MC> >  Is there any reason to not do the same thing you did in SSL code for
MC> > Kerberos code as well? My program doesn't currently support it anyhow but
MC> > I'd like to add support in the future if possible -- but without making it
MC> > impossible to run it under the Kerberos-less versions of Windows.
MC> 
MC> Considering how many variants of Windows there are, and the resulting DLL
MC> hell, I don't want to even pretend.  Either it's the old way or the new
MC> way.

 Again, I perfectly understand that you don't want to support Kerberos on
old systems, but all I want is to allow the program to run there _without_
Kerberos support -- but still have it under W2K. Would you know how Pine
deals with this problem BTW?

MC> >  I know that it's currently impossible, but it doesn't seem to be that hard
MC> > to make it possible: simply rename all driver functions ssl_xxx() to
MC> > ssl_nt_xxx() and ssl_w2k_xxx() and provide ssl_xxx() wrappers which would
MC> > route to either NT or W2K version depending on which one is available. Is
MC> > there any obvious reason for which this couldn't work?
MC> 
MC> It won't start on the old systems if the W2K version is in the binary.

 Well, if the code was written in the same way as ssl_nt.c, i.e. loaded the
libraries dynamically, it would start -- or is there something I'm missing
again?
 
 Thank you for your explanations,
VZ

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:55:39 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

> deals with this problem BTW?

Once again:

If you want the generic version that runs on all systems and don't need
Kerberos, use makefile.nt.

If you want the generic version that runs on all systems plus MIT
Kerberos, use makefile.ntk.

If you want the WinMe/2K/XP version that is supported and has Microsoft
Kerberos but may not run on some Win9x/NT4 systems, use makefile.w2k.

> libraries dynamically, it would start -- or is there something I'm missing

w2k does not load libraries dynamically.  That's the whole point.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.