Subject: corrupt mailboxes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:10:18 +0200 (CEST)

Hello

I'm using uw imap-2002 in aix box, and squirrelmail .

Sometimes  the inboxes became corrupts, the system is a little bussy.
My inbox are not in nfs disks.

Did anyone know this problem and a workarround?
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:13:27 -0700 (PDT)

> Did anyone know this problem and a workarround?

Have you tried upgrading to the latest version (imap-2004)?

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:26:25 +0200 (CEST)

Is the lock mechanism more efectivelly in this new release??
What happend if my /tmp directory haven't got 1777 permisions?

I've read somewhere that there are some problems working in aix platform??

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:15:58 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

> Is the lock mechanism more efectivelly in this new release??

The lock mechanism is limited by 30+ years of UNIX tradition.

> What happend if my /tmp directory haven't got 1777 permisions?

You must have 1777 on /tmp and on /var/spool/mail.

> I've read somewhere that there are some problems working in aix platform??

Those issue don't have anything to do with your problem.

-- Mark --

---

From: "Shawn Walker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:11:52 -0500

How can I utilize c-client charset table to convert characters?

I know that utf8_text() can convert the characters, but I'm having mixed  
results.

Thanks,
Shawn

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:39:08 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

> I know that utf8_text() can convert the characters, but I'm having mixed 

What, exactly, are you trying to do?

utf8_text() is the routine to convert from arbitrary character sets into 
UTF-8 (normalized with pre-composed characters).  The new utf8_cstext() 
routine will convert normalized pre-composed UTF-8 into most character 
sets (as best it can; Greek text doesn't convert well into Chinese...).

To do conversion from one non-UTF-8 character set into another non-UTF-8 
character set, you can use the new utf8_cstocstext() routine (I forget if 
this made it into imap-2004, but it's in imap-2004a).  You can do things 
faster and with less memory if you set up the conversion tables yourself 
using utf8_rmap() -- Pine does this; look at the routines in strings.c and 
filter.c in the Pine sources.

-- Mark --

---

From: "Shawn Walker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:58:48 -0500

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:39:08 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time), Mark Crispin  
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> I know that utf8_text() can convert the characters, but I'm having  
>> mixed results.
>
> character set, you can use the new utf8_cstocstext() routine (I forget  
> if this made it into imap-2004, but it's in imap-2004a).  You can do  
> things faster and with less memory if you set up the conversion tables  
> yourself using utf8_rmap() -- Pine does this; look at the routines in  
> strings.c and filter.c in the Pine sources.
>

Basically convert ISO-8859-1, UTF-8, ISO-8859-15, etc characters to  
whatever I need in order to display the characters.

Thanks,
Shawn

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:42:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Shawn Walker wrote:
> Basically convert ISO-8859-1, UTF-8, ISO-8859-15, etc characters to whatever 
> I need in order to display the characters.

Unless you are writing a text-based client for UNIX, you should convert 
everything into UTF-8 and use exclusively Unicode for display.  Even if 
you are writing a text-based client for UNIX, you should still consider 
using Unicode (UTF-8 is just a means of representing Unicode) as newer 
versions of UNIX now support UTF-8.

The only purpose for any other character set is to accept data in the 
other character set in incoming mail and files (and possibly from the 
user's keyboard -- although Unicode is preferred here too), and if 
necessary to sent mail in a non-Unicode character set (although this is 
doomed to deprecation).

Put another way, most programs should only need utf8_text() and 
utf8_cstext().

Or, if you feel that you need to be able to convert ISO-8859-15 to KOI8-R 
or ISO-2022-JP or BIG5, you are probably doing something wrong.

-- Mark --

---

From: "Shawn Walker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:37:54 -0500

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:42:26 -0700 (PDT), Mark Crispin  
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> To do conversion from one non-UTF-8 character set into another  
>>> non-UTF-8 character set, you can use the new utf8_cstocstext() routine  
>>> (I forget if this made it into imap-2004, but it's in imap-2004a).   
>>> You can do things faster and with less memory if you set up the  
>>> conversion tables yourself using utf8_rmap() -- Pine does this; look  
>>> at the routines in strings.c and filter.c in the Pine sources.
>>>
>>
> Or, if you feel that you need to be able to convert ISO-8859-15 to  
> KOI8-R or ISO-2022-JP or BIG5, you are probably doing something wrong.
>

The program isn't running on unix.  It's running on Windows with Outlook  
(I know, bear with me. ;)

I have a string "Iñtërnâtiônàlizætiøn" that I need to encode before  
putting it in the body contents of BODY.  I don't have utf8_cstocstext(),  
but would that function do what I need to do?  I tried utf8_cstext() but,  
it didn't do anything (I passed UTF-8 for the charset).

Thanks,
Shawn

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:06:36 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Shawn Walker wrote:
> The program isn't running on unix.  It's running on Windows with Outlook (I 
> know, bear with me. ;)

If it's running on Windows, then convert everything to Unicode.  Unicode 
is what Windows uses internally.  Windows may require UTF-16 encoding 
instead of UTF-8 for display, but that's a simple transformation.  Since 
c-client's character set routines only generate BMP characters, UTF-16 and 
UCS-2 are the same.

When you say that you "have a string that" you "need to encode before 
putting it in the body contents of BODY", it sounds to me that you're 
trying to build a message for sending via SMTP, as opposed to viewing it 
on the screen.  Otherwise, you shouldn't be putting anything into body 
contents.  What, exactly, are you trying to do (at a high level)?

-- Mark --