Subject: Personal flags in shared mailboxes?

From: Steinar Kaaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 15:01:55 +0100

Hello,
I'm using the UW-IMAP server, and Mulberry as IMAP-client. I want to set up 
a shared mailbox where different announcements can be made. Ordinary users 
should not be able to delete the messages, but they should somehow be able 
to mark a message "read". If I set the mailbox file RO, then the users 
can't mark messages "read", and if I set the file RW, the "read" flag gets 
set globally. Either way the new mail notification in the client will not 
be usable. Is it possible to apply a personal flag to a shared mailbox 
(I've tested the unix and mbx drivers)?

regards,
Steinar Kaarø
Norwegian University of Science and Technology
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Scot W. Hetzel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:00:15 -0600

From: "Steinar Kaaro" <[email-masked]>
> (I've tested the unix and mbx drivers)?
The mailbox formats used in UW-IMAP don't support multiple Access Control
Lists (ACL) per mailbox.  If you require multiple ACL's then you need to try
another IMAP server with support for multiple ACLs (i.e. cyrus imapd).

Scot

NOTE: With Cyrus you will need to convert the UW-IMAP mailboxes to the Cyrus
mailbox format.

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 09:40:07 -0800 (PST)

Do you want a personal "read" flag, or a global one?

If you want a personal "read" flag, then the news driver in c-client will do
that for you.  Set up a news spool on your system and create a newsgroup for
the shared mailbox, then access it as #news.mailboxname

---

From: Steinar Kaaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:48:12 +0100

Thank you for quick response.
It's a personal "read" flag that I want. I was suspecting that the 
news-driver was the only way of doing this, but I was hoping for a simpler 
solution. Doesn't the lack of such personal flags limit the usability of 
the #shared folders, or am I requesting something very special?

--On 9. januar 2002 09:40 -0800 Mark Crispin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If you want a personal "read" flag, then the news driver in c-client will
> do that for you.  Set up a news spool on your system and create a
> newsgroup for the shared mailbox, then access it as #news.mailboxname