Subject: [Imap-uw] convert unix to mxb - after effects

From: acqant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:46:24 -0500

I have a lot of users with very large inboxes.  I've converted one
/var/spool/mail/user file to mbx formatted INBOX file and the client
re-downloaded all the email.

The user was using pop and had keep mail on server.  Is the UIDVALIDITY
changing on the INBOX file?

Is all the mail being redownloaded or just the MSG/UID info?

_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:40:37 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

> changing on the INBOX file?

The answer to this program depends upon the conversion procedure that you 
used.  Most conversion procedures just copy the messages to a new mailbox, 
and hence the new mailbox has a completely different UIDVALIDITY and 
individual message UIDs.

Put another way, the answer to your question is "yes".

> Is all the mail being redownloaded or just the MSG/UID info?

I don't know.  It depends upon the client program.

Note that online clients, such as Pine, never download and thus don't have 
this issue.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw