Subject: Delay

From: Vlatko Surlan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:26:47 +0200 (METDST)

Greetings. I have a small performance problem. It appears that c-client
does not actually check for new mail each time I call mail_ping. This is
rather disturbing for me since I need to know about new email really
really fast. In less than a second. I assume mail_ping has a delay between
two mailbox checks and it refuses to read mailbox before this delay is
over. Is this true? If not what is happening, if yes how do I turn this
delay off and force mail_ping to check for new mail every time I call it?

	Vlatko Surlan, PMF Zagreb, Mathematics Department, student
	alternate email : [email-masked]
	phone : 385 (0) 98/1722-187

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Chr. v. Stuckrad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:02:43 +0200

> delay off and force mail_ping to check for new mail every time I call it?

Slightly OT, but 'really really' fast...

Wouldn't it be a lot faster to use 'comsat'(biff) directly on
the mailserver? (that is, if you have direct access to it).

If the 'MTA' pings the comsat-service, you'd be *informed*
the exact moment the mail is 'delivered'; but of course you
then have to react on that information yourself (I assume)...

Stucki

-- 
Christoph von Stuckrad     * * |nickname |<[email-masked]>\
Freie Universitaet Berlin  |/_*|'stucki' |Tel(days):+49 30 838-75 459|
Fachbereich Mathematik, EDV|\ *|if online|Tel(else):+49 30 77 39 6600|
Arnimallee 2-6/14195 Berlin* * |on IRCnet|Fax(alle):+49 30 838-75454/

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:35:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Vlatko Surlan wrote:
> does not actually check for new mail each time I call mail_ping.

How did you reach that conclusion?  Your assumption is wrong.

> I assume mail_ping has a delay between
> over. Is this true? If not what is happening

The only such delay is if you use the new #move capability (which is
primarily to download mail from a POP3 server to the local disk); c-client
will decline to connect to the POP3 server more than once a minute.
c-client will always check the local mailbox even if it doesn't contact
the POP3 server.

If you are using an IMAP server, perhaps your IMAP server has an
administrative delay to prevent you from hitting it too often.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.

---

From: Vlatko Surlan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 08:45:37 +0200 (METDST)

> How did you reach that conclusion?  Your assumption is wrong.

I wrote a small driver that did nothing but open a stream and then call
mail_ping every second. Then I started that program and sent an email to
the mailbox that the program opened. I wrote mm_exists so that it prints
out 'new mail' when it gets called with a number of messages != 0. That
message would get printed way after I would send the message. I am not at
hand of the code at the moment but I will send it as soon as I get back to
Zagreb (capital of Croatia) together with the relevant output. I tested
the same thing with mail_status and there was no delay. Greetings and
thanks for the help so far.