Subject: [Imap-uw] imap in Fedora Core 3

From: Diane Napolitano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 00:41:25 -0400

Hello, all...I'm new to this list, as well as imap, so please excuse me if
I'm posting this to the wrong listserv.

I'm in the process of upgrading a server running Redhat 8 to Fedora Core 3,
which has been going well, except for the fact that the server was running a
pop3 server with imap, and imap isn't included in FC3. I've tried using rpms
I've found of imap-2004(e) and 2002, to no avail. No matter what I try, no
matter what software I upgrade/downgrade/install/remove, I continue to get
the following error message:

/usr/sbin/ipop3d: symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/ipop3d: undefined symbol:
krb5_kt_start_seq_get

Right now I'm using the version of imap-2002 that shipped with FC1. (I read
elsewhere that this should work...)

I hope someone out there can help with this...I'm at a real loss here...

Thanks in advance,
Diane
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:05:49 -0700 (PDT)

> /usr/sbin/ipop3d: symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/ipop3d: undefined symbol:

This error message indicates a problem with the Kerberos library.

I suggest that you get a copy of the imap-2004g sources:
 	ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.Z
unpack it using the commands:
 	gzip imap.tar.Z | tar xf -
and then build it using the commands:
 	cd imap-2004g
 	make lfd EXTRAAUTHENTICATORS=gss

If you do not need Kerberos support, you can setting the 
EXTRAUTHENTICATORS and just do:
 	make lfd

If you don't have all the necessary development environments installed, 
the build may fail.  Just post a transcript of the failing build, and 
we'll tell you what development environments package(s) you need to 
install.  It may be necessary to go through multiple iterations (generally 
no more than 2 or 3) before you have all the packages you need.

The good news is that once you do this, you can build subsequent versions 
from UW without having to depend upon someone else to provide an RPM.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Diane Napolitano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:54:15 -0400

> from UW without having to depend upon someone else to provide an RPM.

 Thanks for the suggestions, but I already tried both of these
solutions...the make does fail, with the following output:

/usr/lib/libssl.so: undefined reference to `krb5_cc_get_principal'
/usr/lib/libssl.so: undefined reference to `krb5_kt_close'
/usr/lib/libssl.so: undefined reference to `krb5_rc_get_lifespan'
/usr/lib/libssl.so: undefined reference to `krb5_rc_destroy'
/usr/lib/libssl.so: undefined reference to `krb5_kt_get_entry'
/usr/lib/libssl.so: undefined reference to `krb5_rc_initialize'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [mtest] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/imap-2004g/mtest'
make[1]: *** [bundled] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/imap-2004g'

I get this same result with and without EXTRAAUTHENTICATORS=gss. In addition
to this, I constantly get numerous pointer warnings, all similar (if not
exactly the same) as this:

mtest.c:778: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness

If it helps, the output from rpm -qa | grep krb5 shows I'm using kerberos5
version 1.4.3.

Thanks again for the help.

- Diane

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:46:35 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

> /usr/lib/libssl.so: undefined reference to `krb5_rc_initialize'

These messages indicate that the Kerberos libraries aren't getting loaded, 
and that the SSL library requires them.

Is there anything on /usr/kerberos/lib ?  We need to find files 
libgssapi_krb5.a, libkrb5.a, libk5crypto.a, and libcom_err.a

> I get this same result with and without EXTRAAUTHENTICATORS=gss.

Did you do a "make clean" prior to retrying with
 	make ldb EXTRAAUTHENTICATORS=gss

You must do a "make clean" if you change the build configuration.

> In addition

You can quell these by adding
 	EXTRACFLAGS=-Wno-pointer-sign
to the build command, e.g.,
 	make ldb EXTRAAUTHENTICATORS=gss EXTRACFLAGS=-Wno-pointer-sign

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Diane Napolitano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 19:52:27 -0400

> make ldb EXTRAAUTHENTICATORS=gss EXTRACFLAGS=-Wno-pointer-sign

Hello there, sorry I didn't respond sooner; I unfortunately had to do a
completely fresh install of FC4 so my attention was diverted
elsewhere...long story short, I no longer get any of the previous errors I
was getting, but now the make (running exactly as you suggested) fails with
the following:

../c-client/c-client.a(osdep.o)(.text+0x8df9): In function
`ssl_onceonlyinit':
/imap-2004g/c-client/osdep.c:300: warning: the use of `tmpnam' is dangerous,
better use `mkstemp'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/imap-2004g/tmail'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/imap-2004g'

I can't tell for sure but it looks like a problem with openssl this time...

Thanks,
Diane

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:57:40 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Diane Napolitano wrote:
> the make (running exactly as you suggested) fails with
> the following:
> ../c-client/c-client.a(osdep.o)(.text+0x8df9): In function `ssl_onceonlyinit': /imap-2004g/c-client/osdep.c:300: warning: the use of `tmpnam' is dangerous better use `mkstemp'

This isn't a failure.  In fact, it's a warning message that you can 
completely disregard; the warning itself is erroneous.

Did it make the following executable files in imap-2004g/:
 	dmail/dmail
 	imapd/imapd
 	ipopd/ipop2d and ipopd/ipop3d
 	mailutil/mailutil
 	mlock/mlock
 	mtest/mtest
 	tmail/tmail

If so, you have a successful build.

If not, I need to see the rest of the build transcript.

-- Mark --

---

From: Diane Napolitano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:12:56 -0400

On 9/23/05, Mark Crispin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> `ssl_onceonlyinit': /imap-2004g/c-client/osdep.c:300: warning: the use of
> `tmpnam' is dangerous better use `mkstemp'

The executables are there. I'll try them out and see how it goes .

Thanks for all your help :)

- Diane