Subject: /var/imap/$USER

From: Jens Krinke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 15:17:35 GMT

Hi,

how do I get the imap server to store the messages in a directory like 
/var/imap/$USER instead of the users $HOME? Maybe this is a FAQ, 
however I can't find reference to it.

Thanks,
Jens Krinke

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 10:13:47 -0800 (PST)

> however I can't find reference to it.

Please read imap-4.[]/docs/CONFIG, example 2.  If you don't have the sources,
get them from ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.Z

---

From: Jens Krinke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 13:32:33 GMT

> get them from ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.Z

So there is no other way than changing the source? What is black 
box-mode, can this be used for that purpose?

Thanks,
Jens

---

From: "Andrej Borsenkow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 10:27:07 +0300

> box-mode, can this be used for that purpose?

Well, I do use it for a long time without any problem so far :-) But, then,
do not forget

- you have to arrange for delivery into blackbox folder. I recommend use of
dmail or tmail from imap-utils package, as these are based on c-client and
understand blackbox as well.

- using blackbox means, that you probably are stuck with c-client based
tools for reading mail. Your are safe as long as you access all your mail
via imapd. But, e.g. Pine does not work well with local blackbox folders (I
consider it actually a bug - I can explain why).

- you have to manually create "home" blackbox directory for every user.
There is no magic here.

- there are some extra files that are used for bookkeeping by imapd - they
get into blackbox directory as well. This may or may not be a problem.

All in all, blackbox works well for pure IMAP access, may have problems with
local access and requires extra admin work in any case.

/andrej