Subject: [Imap-uw] Co-existing with Outlook ...

From: Roy Giles <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:46:34 +1000

Hello,

Our mail server is a Sparc server running Solaris 2.6 where we have had UW
imap for some years (currently IMAP4rev1 2004.357)

I am trying to get a calendaring solution to all users, especially those
with PCs running Outlook; I have been working with Sun's JES 2005Q1
with the promise of an Outlook Connector providing the necessary service
between the PCs and the Sun JES installation (running on a Linux box)

The sticking point for me now is that the JES is based around a mail
server albeit one conforming to "standards" such as they are; this led me
to believe I could point the Outlook Connector at our UW imap server and
the mail service would continue as before but I have since discovered
that it requires the UIDPLUS capability which the Sun Messaging Server
has but I believe is not implemented in UW imap :-

telnet staff 143
Trying 129.78.8.1...
Connected to staff.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS AUTH=LOGIN] staff.cs.usyd.edu.au IMAP4rev1 2004.357 at Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:51:39 +1000 (EST)

This is then causing profile creation to fail at the Outlook end.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could get around this, perhaps by faking
UIDPLUS capability or .....
 
As I say, I am only interested in the Calendar part of the JES with mail
remaining with the Sparc/UW imap combination.

Thanks,

Roy

_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:20:55 -0700 (PDT)

> has but I believe is not implemented in UW imap :-

If JES requires UIDPLUS, then it is is broken and NON-COMPLIANT with the 
specification.  The specification for UIDPLUS explicitly states that it is 
an option in an IMAP server, and furthermore states the mandatory 
procedures that clients must undertake if the server does not have 
UIDPLUS.

With that said, UW IMAP Toolkit version 2005 will have UIDPLUS support in 
imapd.  I am still doing regression testing on this version, and 
additional performance work still needs to be done before any formal 
release.  However, I expect to start making development snapshots 
available after the Pine 4.64 release (which will use the version 2004g 
maintenence release of the IMAP toolkit).

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Matt Selsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 01:15:57 -0400

What sort of regression suite do you use for testing?

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:19:25 -0700 (PDT)

> What sort of regression suite do you use for testing?

Extensive hand testing, and then usage with Pine on my real mailbox data 
(so if there's a bug, it's my mailbox that gets trashed).

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc