Subject: Using only dot locking

From: Geir Johannessen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 15:33:57 +0200 (MET DST)

I read the paper ./docs/locking.txt. However it is unclear for me whether
or not I can live with only dot locking.

We have a cluster of mailservers, each with their own home directories.
When mail addressed to [email-masked] arrives to one of the servers, the
username is checked against a database and delivered locally to $HOME/.mail
if it has come to the correct machine or forwarded to the machine that has
the user's home directory. There is no NFS traffic between the servers.

To be able to have imap support we figure we have to have a client server
that mounts all home directories with NFS from the mailservers. But will
locking function well over NFS? The only locking mechanism the machines in
our heterogen system have in common is dot locking. Will this suffice? And
if so, how can I force imap to only use dot locking?

--
Geir Johannessen          #  [email-masked]
E B Schieldropsvei 35-25  #  http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~joge/
N-7033 TRONDHEIM, NORWAY  #  Tlf private +47-73888989, job +47-73598048
"If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing."

------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------