Subject: POP3 driver added to c-client

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 23:50:38 -0700 (PDT)

The latest version of c-client now has a POP3 driver.  This is mostly useful
as a checklist item, or if you feel a need to convince yourself or your
clients just how pathetic POP is compared to IMAP.

The syntax for POP3 mailbox names is similar to that for NNTP names; you have
a switch of /service=pop3 or /pop3 inside the braces.  For example, for a
server named blurdybloop:
	{blurdybloop/pop3}
or	{blurdybloop/service=pop3}
	{blurdybloop/pop3}inbox
or	{blurdybloop/service=pop3}inbox

You are not permitted to have a remote mailbox name of other than INBOX.
Blame the designers of POP3.

All mailbox flags are per-session.  There's no attempt to derive flags from
the POP3 LAST command (it's unreliable -- blame the designers of POP3) or
Status: lines (the server isn't necessarily UNIX!).  The \Deleted flag
translates into a POP3 delete when you do a mail_expunge().

Expunged messages aren't removed from the sequence (blame the designers of
POP3), but you can't do much useful with an expunged message.  If you had
fetched its envelope, that will still be in the local cache but the texts will
be gone.  I may consider making expunged POP3 messages disappear.

Full IMAP2 searching works, as does MIME parsing.