Subject: [Imap-uw] Testing UID EXPUNGE

From: Mark Sirota <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:53:25 -0500

Mark,

In the 2005-12-08 snapshot of imap-2005, the BEWARE-READ-ME-FIRST says that
UID EXPUNGE is fully implemented, but has received limited testing.  Would
you welcome some help testing it?

Here at Penn we're working on a c-client based IMAP client for a
large-scale unified messaging project, which will handle voicemail for
several thousand IP telephony customers.  We'll want to use UID EXPUNGE to
delete voicemail messages that have been deleted from the telephone
interface without expunging other messages in the mailbox.

We can wait, but we're also willing to get on board now with imap-2005 and
help with testing, if you'd like.

Thanks,
-- 
Mark Sirota, Associate Director, Network Engineering and Services
University of Pennsylvania, Information Systems and Computing
[email-masked], +1 215 573 7214

_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 08:42:43 -0800 (PST)

> you welcome some help testing it?

You are welcome to test it.  In fact, given what you say you are doing, 
you should use imap-2005 as your development base and should do such 
testing now.  The entire reason why imap-2005 is available as a 
development snapshot is so that people such as you can start testing now, 
and avoid unpleasant surprises when it becomes the release version.

Note that if the server does not support UID EXPUNGE, c-client will *not* 
simulate its effect.  Instead, the application will get an error.  In many 
cases, c-client will simulate the effect of a facility that is missing on 
the server, but UID EXPUNGE is not one of those cases.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.
_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Mark Sirota <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:40:42 -0500

--On December 16, 2005 8:42:43 AM -0800 Mark Crispin 
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> development snapshot is so that people such as you can start testing
> now, and avoid unpleasant surprises when it becomes the release version.
>
> Note that if the server does not support UID EXPUNGE, c-client will
> *not* simulate its effect.  Instead, the application will get an error.
> In many cases, c-client will simulate the effect of a facility that is
> missing on the server, but UID EXPUNGE is not one of those cases.

Will do, and thanks for the warning.  I'm assuming the intended interface
is mail_expunge_full()?

Mark

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:35:31 -0800 (PST)

> Will do, and thanks for the warning.  I'm assuming the intended interface

Yes, with the EX_UID option set in the call.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc