Subject: Login using ipop3d

From: "Rubinstein, Dmitry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:20:47 +0200

Hi!

I'm using the UW IPOP3d in a non-standard setting. I'd like to perform the
login using the underlying mail store, accessed through mailbox driver.
Instead the login() function in ipop3d.c performs a login through the
standard OS login mechanism (NT in my case). I had to comment out the
corresponding section in login(). I'm not so sure regarding the reason to
not using the auth_* mechanism for POP3 authentication here. Mark, have I
missed something up completely?

--
Dmitry Rubinstein  <*>

Home: (972)-8-8647229
Cell: (972)-53-428979
[email-masked]
http://www.wisdom.weizmann.ac.il/~dimrub
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:39:55 -0800 (PST)

> missed something up completely?

The auth_* mechanism is used by the POP3 AUTH (and the IMAP AUTHENTICATE)
command.  These routines are for SASL, not password checking (although there
are SASL mechanisms for password checking).

The checkpw mechanism is used by the POP3 PASS (and the IMAP LOGIN) command.