Subject: Errors compiling the c-client on linux

From: "Ian Dobson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:41:29 -0700

Hi, when I try to compile the c-client on linux I get the following
bunch of errors, can anyone help me out?

`cat CCTYPE` -c `cat CFLAGS` `cat OSCFLAGS` -c osdep.c
In file included from osdep.c:42:
env_unix.c: In function `do_date':
env_unix.c:296: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer
without a cast
env_unix.c:297: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
env_unix.c:297: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
env_unix.c:298: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
env_unix.c:299: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without
a cast
env_unix.c:301: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
env_unix.c:301: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
env_unix.c:309: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
env_unix.c:312: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
env_unix.c:316: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
env_unix.c:316: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
env_unix.c:316: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
env_unix.c:317: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
env_unix.c:317: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
env_unix.c:317: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
In file included from osdep.c:46:
tz_sv4.c: In function `rfc822_timezone':
tz_sv4.c:30: `tzname' undeclared (first use in this function)
tz_sv4.c:30: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
tz_sv4.c:30: for each function it appears in.)
tz_sv4.c:30: `daylight' undeclared (first use in this function)
tz_sv4.c:30: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
osdep.c: In function `checkpw':
osdep.c:81: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without
a cast
osdep.c:82: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
osdep.c:82: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
osdep.c:83: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
osdep.c:84: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
cast
osdep.c:86: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
osdep.c:86: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
osdep.c:94: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
make[3]: *** [osdep.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/imap-2000c/c-client'
make[2]: *** [slx] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/imap-2000c/c-client'
make[1]: *** [OSTYPE] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/imap-2000c'
make: *** [slx] Error 2
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:12:32 -0700 (PDT)

You have an old version of c-client (imap-2000c).  Upgrade to a later version
on ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.Z

Alternatively, somewhere in imap-2000c/src/osdep/unix/os_lnx.h, insert the
line:

#include <time.h>

The Linux port was originally contributed code, and the individual who did it
assumed that sys/time.h would always include time.h.  Later releases of Linux
broke this assumption; the developers of Linux have never been particularly
scrupulous about maintaining compatibility.