Subject: Problems authenticating with PAM

From: Rolf Habing <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 15:07:00 +0100

Hi,

In preparation for a portal site, I'm looking into the possibility of
authenticating email accounts against our NT domain.
I have found pam_smb, and installed it. I tested it by configuring a
telnet server to authenticate against our NT domain, and that worked
without problems.
However, when I try to use pam_smb authentication with imap, I'm having
problems.

I'm running  imap-2001.BETA.SNAP-0105151510 on a RH7.0 server.
I build imap with
make nlp

The pam.d entry for imap reads simply
auth       sufficient    /lib/security/pam_smb_auth.so debug nolocal
(cut down to a bare minimum, for testing)

When I log in from an imap client (I've tried Netscape 4.7 and
Squirrelmail)  I get the message
'Login failed'.

Checking /var/log/secure shows:
May 21 14:35:31 orion imapd[22991]: pam_smb: Correct NT
username/password pair
But /var/log/messages says:
May 21 14:35:28 orion imapd[22991]: Login failed user=tt30 auth=tt30
host=[5.0.9.77]

This indicates that imapd fails the login before pam_smb decides that
the login is OK. (Check the timing.)

I cannot see on what basis imapd fails the login, it is compiled to work

with pam (make nlp) and shouldn't check with the local passwd/shadow
files. Or does it?

I've spend quite a few days on this problem now, and can't find a way
out. Solving this problem would mean using only one login on the campus
system, and would open the way for further portal development. Any help
in this would be enormously appreciated.

Thanks,
Rolf Habing
Canterbury Christ Church University College

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------