Subject: one other oddity with switch from mbox to mbx format

From: "Harondel J. Sibble" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 22:20:43 -0800

Okay, I converted most of the mailboxes on the server using:

mbxcvt INBOX mbx INBOX 

and did a couple using: mailutil  copy INBOX "#driver.mbx/INBOX"

Sadly I didn't note which ones I used mailutil with and which mbxcvt.

Anyhow the issue is that when users are logged into imap server via MS 
Outlook Express (6), all the messages in the inbox/newmail folder are 
duplicated, well actually all the messages that were there at conversion 
time. New messages since the conversion do not show up duplicated.  Now... 
however, if I use pine to view the same users' messages, there are no 
duplicates.

Any ideas?
-- 
Harondel J. Sibble 
Sibble Computer Consulting
Creating solutions for the small business and home computer user.
[email-masked] (use pgp keyid 0x3AD5C11D) http://www.pdscc.com
(604) 739-3709 (voice/fax)      (604) 686-2253 (pager)

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 23:28:00 -0800 (PST)

> and did a couple using: mailutil  copy INBOX "#driver.mbx/INBOX"

These commands copy messages from a traditional UNIX format mailbox to an
mbx-format INBOX.  They do not delete the messages from the traditional
UNIX format INBOX.

If you wanted to move (copy+delete) the messages, you'd need to do:
	mailutil move INBOX "#driver.mbx/INBOX"

Since an open sesion on an mbx-format INBOX automatically moves (copies
and deletes) any messages found in a traditional UNIX format INBOX to the
mbx-format INBOX, that explains the duplicate messages.

That is also why I suggested just creating the mbx-format INBOX, and let
the next user session do the message moving.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.

---

From: "Harondel J. Sibble" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 00:00:08 -0800

On 2 Feb 2003 at 23:28, Mark Crispin wrote:
> mbx-format INBOX.  They do not delete the messages from the traditional UNIX
> format INBOX.
Hmmm, well after the first open on the mbx all the messages are moved from 
the mbox file, it gets left at 556 bytes.

> mbx-format INBOX, that explains the duplicate messages.
Well the dupes only show up on the imap client end (outlook express), pine 
does not show any dupes. <shrug>

> the next user session do the message moving.
Each time I open the mbx, it moves all mail from the mbox (fetchmail is 
adding to the mbox files every 5 minutes or so) and that seems fine, but 
ideally I'd love to completely dump use of mbox altogether if at all 
possible.
-- 
Harondel J. Sibble 
Sibble Computer Consulting
Creating solutions for the small business and home computer user.
[email-masked] (use pgp keyid 0x3AD5C11D) http://www.pdscc.com
(604) 739-3709 (voice/fax)      (604) 686-2253 (pager)