Subject: Saving sent mail

From: "Michael Morrissey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:46:23 -0700

Hi there,

In my imap client, I'm adding a "Save a copy of
Sent Mail" option, but I don't know what the proper
way of going about it.  Do I simply BCC a copy of the
message to the user, and add some filter rule which
puts that mail into a "Sent Items" folder?  Or is there
a more direct route?

Thanks very much,

Michael

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 18:26:39 -0700 (PDT)

> puts that mail into a "Sent Items" folder?  Or is there

The most common way to do this is to use mail_append() to write the message
into your "Sent Items" mailbox.  This means that you'll probably have to have
your own rfc822out_t routine rather than using the built-in one, so that you
can generate the same text for the mail_append() stringstruct that you do for
smtp_mail().

---

From: Guy Dawson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:18:40 +0100

As an IMAP user, I prefer and use the Bcc method. This is because it
allows my mail client (Netscape) to use it's rules to move the message
to a folder of my choice. This enables me to keep related messages
together and the threading then works well.

Guy
-- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson                    I.T. Manager              Crossflight Ltd
[email-masked]         07973  797819                01753 776104

**********************************************************************
This email contains the views and opinions of a Crossflight Limited
employee and at this stage are in no way a direct representation of
Crossflight Limited.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
the system manager. To ensure the integrity and appropriate use of
its email system, Crossflight Limited reserves the right to examine
any email held on its email system or sent to or from it.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by
MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.

We strongly recommend that you check this email with your own virus
software as Crossflight Limited will not be held responsible for any
damage caused by viruses as a result of opening this mail.
**********************************************************************

---

From: "Mark Elvers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 12:45:02 +0100

In a way I would agree with this as I always use IMAP/SMTP over low speed
dialup connections - and I use a laptop, so need to access my email when
offline.  I have written a mail program using c-client which synchronizes my
IMAP mailbox with a local offline copy (stored using my own indexed
database) and I use the rfc822_output() followed by a mail_append() full
method of maintaining a "Sent Items" list

When I send an email, I upload it to the SMTP server (transfer 1), then
upload it again to the IMAP server (transfer 2), then when I perform a
mailbox synchronization of all my folders, I download the message again
(transfer 3).  This is not a problem for most messages (typically a few KB),
but when it's a 1MB message and I'm using my cell phone at 9.6kb...

I thought of updating my local offline copy of the mailbox directly - as I
know what the contents of the message will be - I can predict the UID that
will be assigned by the IMAP server from the next UID information, or I
could get a list of messages in the mailbox after I've uploaded it hence get
the UID.  The problem with both these methods is that they are not full
proof for the case where a message from "another source" is delivered to
this folder at the same time.  In the first option, the query for next UID
and the upload of the message is not atomic operation, in the second option,
if there is more than one new message when I query the folder after the
upload, I won't know which one is the message that I uploaded!

Anyway, even if there is a solution for the above (?), I am still required
to upload the message twice -  once for SMTP and once for IMAP and all I'm
doing is improving the profit forecast of mobile phone operator!

Any thoughts?

--mte

-----Original Message-----
From:	[email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Guy Dawson
Sent:	24 October 2000 11:19
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Re: Saving sent mail

Guy