Subject: Two questions

From: Corey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:37:55 -0800

New to the list, deciding whether to replace our current Cyrus IMAP
with UW's IMAP and have two simple questions before proceding any
further: ( I searched through the Archive already, apologies for
not answering my own questions... )

1 - Does UW IMAP support parallel folders, outside of the INBOX folder?
    i.e.: 

		+Afolder
      +Blah
		+Inbox
      +Lists 
      +Misc

    rather than:
     
      -INBOX
         +Afolder
         +lah
         +Lists 
         +Misc

2 - Does UW IMAP allow for nested folders?

Thanks so much, 

Corey

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:52:00 -0800 (PST)

> 2 - Does UW IMAP allow for nested folders?

UW imapd doesn't "support" or "not support" either of these; this is all a
function of the underlying mail store and the driver which supports that mail
store.

It is, for example, quite possible to write a Cyrus driver for UW imapd that
would look just like Cyrus.  Nobody has done so; if you want Cyrus you might
as well run Cyrus.

The default mail store is the traditional UNIX format of mail; and the default
namespace is the UNIX filesystem, with the addition of the special name
"INBOX" so you don't have to remember /var/spool/mail/corey.  If the name
isn't "INBOX", it's treated as a UNIX file name, cd'd to the user's UNIX home
directory.

So, you need to answer your questions in the context of "how does a UNIX
filesystem work?".

The traditional UNIX format of mail is not the only mail store supported by UW
imapd; and you can easily add your own.  For example, some third-parties offer
maildir support.

It is, however, true that UW imapd's primary focus has been to export the view
of a UNIX shell user.  Some people have misconstrued it into "does not
support", when in reality it is "traditional UNIX format does not support".

---

From: Corey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 12:20:11 -0800

> function of the underlying mail store and the driver which supports that mail
<snip> 

  Ok -- looks like I'll be downloading the source distribution and 
  eyeball/toy-around with the implementation details myself ... as
  I figured I should've done anyhow - heh.  Thanks for the quick
  response.

Beers!

Corey

--
"Remember that the P in Perl stands for Practical.
The P in Python doesn't seem to stand for anything."
   -- Randal Schwartz