Subject: invalid/corrupt certificate for imapd

From: Bill Schoolfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:13:55 -0600

Hi all,

I installed the wu imapd server on redhat7.3 without changing any
options (other than to say 'use the passwd file'). Configured the system
as documented, then attempted a login via mozilla's email client. I got
the login prompt, but couldn't get authenticated successfully.

Now, I suppose this was because I was attempting to use clear text
passwords on a non encrypted session. Correct? (I was using port 443).
Assuming so, I attempted to use ssl encryption.  Which of course
necessitated creation of a server certificate and private key. So I
created my own CA (this server is for my own personal use-not public),
and used it to create and sign my server certificate.

Now, my problem. Whenever I attempt a connection, I get an error in the
mail log indicating that the certificate is invalid or corrupt.  I know
imapd is using the right pem file, because if I rename it, the error log
shows that the file can't be opened. The file, holds the server
certificate and private key.

I tested the certificate with "openssl verify" and it indicates it is
OK. I wonder if the files are in the right place though. Does the CA
certificate need to be referenced during the connection? Maybe that is
the problem...

Any ideas?

Bill

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------