Subject: IMAP4 toolkit is smaller than IMAP2bis toolkit!

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 1995 01:25:43 -0700 (PDT)

Well, I just finished porting the mh driver, which was the last one for Unix.
So, I took the time to compare sizes between binaries in IMAP-3.6.BETA and
IMAP-4.ALPHA under NEXTSTEP.  In this day and age of code bloat, these numbers
are encouraging:

		c-client.a	imapd
IMAP-3.6.BETA	742,408		795,748
IMAP-4.ALPHA	702,644		783,148

So, the IMAP4 toolkit's c-client is just shy of 39K smaller than the IMAP2bis
version, while IMAP4 imapd is 12K smaller.

Interestingly, on an VAXstation-2000 (the newest acquisition in the Panda zoo)
running Ultrix 2.3, the IMAP-4 imapd is only 280K.

In spite of the fact that IMAP4 has more features and capabilities, c-client
is smaller because I took the opportunity to eliminate a lot of duplicated
code in some fairly major (and ongoing) code restructuring.  imapd eats up
most of that savings because it has to implement all the additional stuff in
RFC-1730.

imapd will probably grow further, but it's nice to know that for the time
being the new, purportedly more featureful, stuff is smaller than the old.