Subject: How do you pass userid and password to icat?

From: John Imholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:25:25 -0500

Please feel free to point me to some doc.

I just want to create a web site for users to download (for archival) some 
of their IMAP folders when they hit quota.  Looks like icat is built for 
such a thing.  I just don't see how to avoid the prompt for userid and 
password.

I guess I could use expect, but surely there's a better way that I'm just 
missing.

Thanks for your help,

John Imholz
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:29:22 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

> such a thing.  I just don't see how to avoid the prompt for userid and

Probably the best thing to do is modify icat so it works with your web
site as you wish.  icat is a small program, so it should be a simple mod.

The purpose of the imap-utils is to share some of the useful small
programs that we have, but not to imply that these are the be-all and
end-all for IMAP utilities.  They're also good as sample demonstration
programs for how to write your own little applications.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.

---

From: Andrew Daviel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:59:47 -0800 (PST)

We have IMAP4rev1 2000.283  running under RedHat 7.0, with various
other things running on the system like sendmail, httpd, mysql etc.
but no shell users.

Recently we seem to get big peaks in system load (14 or so)
I noticed that there a several copies of imapd which "ps" reports
as being in a state of D (" uninterruptible sleep")
with WCHAN = "wait_o".

I'm not really sure what this means or what triggers it. After a few
seconds the load subsides to a more reasonable level, but while this is
going on sendmail will stop accepting mail and users cmplain of sluggish
behaviour.

Any hints ?

-- 
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376
[email-masked]

---

From: Andrew Daviel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 17:02:04 -0800 (PST)

> as being in a state of D (" uninterruptible sleep")

After rebuilding "ps" so it doesn't truncate the state names I can report
that it is mostly a "wait on buffer" state. RedHat 7.0, 2.2.16-22 kernel,
one CPU.

This is imap-2000, built with OpenSSL.

Ideas ?

 -----

Hmmm; this seems to correspond to connects from a user running Outlook.
I see a flurry of "imap service init" (one a second) from the same ip.

Hmmm#2; maybe this is the "Check for Messages in all Folders" thing
reported earlier. I'll have to check tomorrow when the guy is back.
He says he's been running it like this for ages, set to check every 5
minutes.

 -------

Can't be the whole story. He's logged out and the load just went up to
10-ish without a lot of new "inits"

.. help!

Andrew Daviel
TRIUMF