Subject: Logical Views w/ C-Client

From: Adam Treister <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 95 15:38:38 -0800

Mark,

I'm having trouble supporting logical views on top of c-client without loading
unnecessary message elements.

EG:  I'm writing a message browser that supports hiding deleted messages.  It
has an index that remaps the visible row number into the actual row number in
the array of elements.  Turning the feature on and off is just a matter of
using/suppressing the index mapping.

Currently, when I build the lookup table, I call SEARCH \DELETED and then
iterate thru all the mail elements testing the searched flag. Unfortunately
this
is triggering a mail_fetchstructure of each element and slowing the open of a
large mailbox significantly.

I want to be able to open the mailbox send a SEARCH and be able to grab the
reply, and build my map without necessarily loading all the elements.
Does c-client provide any way to do this, or do I need to bypass the library
and
send/parse the IMAP command myself?

Adam

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1995 00:40:33 -0800 (PST)

Bill's answer is essentially my answer.

There are other techniques that you can do for earlier toolkits than imap-4,
but nobody should be developing with anything other than imap-4 toolkit (in
ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap-4.ALPHA.tar.Z) today.

imap-4 toolkit also lets you set the size of the search prefetch range; this
is a new capability.