Subject: Squirrelmail veeery slow with UW imap

From: Patrice Hamelin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 13:39:45 -0400

Hi,

   I know it`s not a new subject and I read many pages about that 
subject from squirrelmail.org, but still I have this problem.  Let`s say 
I am user A and I have no problem using squirrelmail.  BUT user B has a 
terrible slow response using squirrelmail and UW imap on RH 7.3.

   User B told me a couple of weeks ago that the response time was slow 
and I answered that his INBOX was too big and bla bla bla.  He never 
cleaned up his INBOX, and now that he is away, response time is terrible 
terrible, terrible!

   What I did so far:

- with him on the phone, I made him access MY INBOX, with my login and a 
temporary password.  WORKED OK.

- I copied /var/spool/mail/userB to ~userB/backup and clean his INBOX ( 
"> /var/spool/mail/userB")  no difference, still slow.

- Change permission on /var/spool/mail to 1777 (no difference)

- I upgraded UW imap to 2004 release. (did aminute ago and still have to 
test with him on the phone.

   He seems to be the only one guy to have problem accessing its emails. 
  No other users report me any problems.  What else can it be? 
corrupted file?  squirrelmail preferences?

   I cannot reproduce the problem since I don't have his password to 
access his INBOX.

Thanks for any help!

-- 
Patrice Hamelin ing, M.Sc.A, CCNA
Systems Administrator
CLUMEQ Supercomputer Centre
McGill University

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ere Maijala <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 22:58:30 +0300

Patrice Hamelin wrote:
> Hi,
> 
>   I know it`s not a new subject and I read many pages about that subject 
> from squirrelmail.org, but still I have this problem.  Let`s say I am 
> user A and I have no problem using squirrelmail.  BUT user B has a 

Could it be that user B has "Enable Unread Message Notification" set to 
"All folders"? In my experience it has a quite big impact on the 
performance, at least displaying the folder list.

As it happens, just today I was checking why my Squirrelmail was so slow 
and it was because of that setting.

Ere