Subject: qmail and "maildir" format

From: Mike Trank <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 11:55:44 -0600 (CST)

Hello Everybody:

I have a new client who runs qmail instead of sendmail, and his mailboxes
are in qmail's "maildir" format.

We don't support that, right? (I mean c-client doesn't, at least out of
the box...).

So that means I have to transform all the mailboxes over to "mbx" and
"mbox", right?

Also, he doesnt have Unix users configured, since qmail alows you to make
a database of users that do not have Unix UID's but qmail nevertheless
delivers mail to named mailboxes and the qmail pop3 daemon  uses a special
users/passwoprd database.

I'll have to change his POP3 daemon, because if I dont, all his users will
be getting that "DONT DELTERT THIS ONE!" message in their mailbox
everytime my c-client app gets used.

Should I convince this guy that having a Unix UID for each POP3 user is a
good thing, or should I make modifications to ipop3d and my own c-client
app to do a special authentication with this qmail database?

Thanks for your help!

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Yiorgos Adamopoulos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 21:18:55 +0300

> good thing, or should I make modifications to ipop3d and my own c-client

It is not a bad thing.

> app to do a special authentication with this qmail database?

Depending your knowledge of c-client, I suppose.  If I was in your shoes, I
would try and make him convert to Unix UIDs and mbox format.  Qmail using
procmail as a delivery agent can do that (I think the appropriate install
document in Qmail is INSTALL.vsm).
-- 
``Servers break, users complain, life goes on...''
					--Posted at [email-masked]