Subject: smtp server on a non-standard port?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:50:40 -0700 (PDT)

I would like to run an smtp server on a non-standard port for a specific
set of email users.  It appears that the only place a port could be
specified in a email address is as a route, however both books I have
consulted advise never using the route-addr:local-part@domain form of
email address.

Can anyone point me to any information about how to use smtp on a
non-standard port, specifically what the email address would look like, e.g.
how is the alternative port specified?

Thanks

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 16:02:10 -0700 (PDT)

> consulted advise never using the route-addr:local-part@domain form of

I think that you are confused.  The route syntax in no way specifies a port;
it is completely coincidental that c-client's host:port syntax and SMTP's
route syntax use the same delimiter.  These two are used in entirely different
and non-overlapping contexts.  The c-client host:port syntax is used only in
certain c-client application calls, and it never appears in anything
transmitted over the net.

> how is the alternative port specified?

Unfortunately, there is no way to do this.