Subject: Re: cannot get mbx format INBOX to work

From: Paul Raines <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:32:18 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Ricardo Stella wrote:
> 
> Why not deliver in mbox format to /var/mail/user, but then as long as
> EXTRADRIVERS=mbox is enabled, mail will move to ~/INBOX upon connection.
> 
> Now, if CREATEPROTO=mbxproto is set, then any new mailboxes will be
> created in mbx format.  For new accounts, make sure you create an empty
> INBOX in mbx format.  You can have an empty folder in mbx format and
> copy it to the users's home as INBOX...
> 

I don't want to make the default for everyone mbx.  I thought I could
do this on a per user basis by putting 

set new-folder-format mbx
set empty-folder-format mbx

in ~/.imaprc, but this is not working.  New folders are still in old
the old mbox format when I connect Outlook, Netscape, ... over IMAP
to my mail server and have it create a new folder.  It is also
true that 

  mbxcreat '{mail/user=raines}mail/newf'

creates a standard mbox format folder.  The only way I can get this
to work is 

  mbxcreat '{mail/user=raines}#driver.mbx/mail/newf'

but I would like it to work from Outlook, Netscape, etc.

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:14:34 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

In general, the software is designed to hide details of mailbox formats
for IMAP users.  The assumption is that the system manager sets format
policy for IMAP users, and that only local users care about format
details.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.