Subject: Unable to create TCP socket: Protocol not supported (errflg=1) in Unknown on line 0

From: Sahil Tandon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:07:43 -0400

I keep getting this error (in subject) immediately after successful 
logins to the UW IMAP server (via IMP).  This error is in the 
httpd-error.log whereas nothing shows up in the maillog.  I understand 
most will dismiss this as a bug with Horde, but hear me out: the only 
change I've made to my system is upgrading to imap-2004a.  Before this, 
with imap-2002, no such error existed.  Using gdb to debug, it looks 
like the error is being spit out by the cclient library.  Google has 
absolutely nothing (at least in my searches) on this particular topic.

Also, FWIW, imap is setup to do allow SSL connections *only* - and 
logins *are* successful.  It's just that the error looks odd, and 
appears notwithstanding accepted logins.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Sahil
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:22:54 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

"Unable to create TCP socket: Protocol not supported" does come from the 
c-client library; the rest (starting with the errflg stuff) must be coming 
from Horde.

What operating system are you running?

Did you build imap-2004a yourself?  Is there any possibility that it could 
have been built with IPv6 support ("IP=6" in the make command line) but 
run on an IPv4 only system?

Have you tried imap-2004b?  This is currently available in development 
snapshots:
 	ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap-2004b.DEV.tar.Z

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

---

From: Sahil Tandon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:48:38 -0400

Mark Crispin wrote:

[...]

> What operating system are you running?

FreeBSD-CURRENT.

> Did you build imap-2004a yourself?  

I built it from ports with one extra, trivial patch to change 
CREATEPROTO=unixproto -> CREATEPROTO=mbxproto.

> Is there any possibility that it could have been built with IPv6 
> support ("IP=6" in the make command line) but run on an IPv4 only 
 > system?

This is probably it!  I didn't compile with "IP=6" in the command line, 
but it looks like one of the FreeBSD patches modifies the "IP=" line in 
src/osdep/unix/Makefile to "6" from "4".  I'll try reverting that before 
   attempting the development snapshot.

Thanks for your help.

[...]

--
Sahil Tandon

---

From: Sahil Tandon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:20:16 -0400

Mark Crispin wrote:

[...]

> Did you build imap-2004a yourself?  Is there any possibility that it 
> could have been built with IPv6 support ("IP=6" in the make command 
> line) but run on an IPv4 only system?

This was indeed the problem.  After recompiling with IP=4, the error 
disappears.  Thanks Mark.

[...]

--
Sahil Tandon