Subject: X.400 <==> IMAP/C-CLIENT

From: [email-masked] (Mark J. Bailey [HOME])
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 07:24:52 -0500 (CDT)

hi

could some of you on these lists who are X.400 familiar give me some ideas on
the components of the X.400 family that functionaly are similar to compenents
inside IMAP and C-CLIENT?  Things like what X.400 has that is similar to the
way IMAP accesses a mail server, etc.  I know the most obvious is that IMAP
is TCP/IP (currently) and X.400 is OSI (more or less - at least you have to
fake it somewhere).  

Thanks for any comments!

Mark

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 11:28:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 8 Sep 1995 07:24:52 -0500 (CDT), Mark J. Bailey [HOME] wrote:
> could some of you on these lists who are X.400 familiar give me some ideas
> on the components of the X.400 family that functionaly are similar to
> compenents inside IMAP and C-CLIENT?  Things like what X.400 has that is
> similar to the way IMAP accesses a mail server, etc.  I know the most
> obvious is that IMAP is TCP/IP (currently) and X.400 is OSI (more or less -
> at least you have to fake it somewhere).

I don't think there really is anything in OSI that is similar to IMAP.  The
closest is probably P7, but that is more like POP3 than IMAP.

c-client is just one particular implementation, and it doesn't really belong
in a discussion of the protocol.