Subject: imap-utils

From: "Thomas Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 18:06:44 -0700 (MST)

I'm using a hosting provider that uses UW IMAP 2001a. My question is this:

It appears that imap-2001a was released in mid-2001 whereas imap-utils was
released in April of 2002. Are there any features introduced into the
current imap-utils that would make it incompatible with imap-2001a's
support of mbx?

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 19:27:02 -0700 (PDT)

> current imap-utils that would make it incompatible with imap-2001a's

No, there isn't; however, imap-utils are obsolete having been replaced 
with software bundled with the IMAP toolkit (e.g. mailutil).

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

---

From: "Thomas Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 23:01:35 -0700 (MST)

>> It appears that imap-2001a was released in mid-2001 whereas imap-utils
>> was released in April of 2002. Are there any features introduced into
>> the current imap-utils that would make it incompatible with
>> imap-2001a's support of mbx?
>

At the risk of being redundant, imap-utils *will* work for imap-2001a and
is *required* as it's not bundled with this version of UW IMAP?

Further, current versions of UW-IMAP *do* include the obsolete imap-utils
package (such as mailutil)?

Which version of UW IMAP was imap-utils first merged with?

Do newer versions of UW-IMAP require modifying the CREATEPROTO= variable
in the osdeps Makefile? (This is suggested in the IMAP-FAQ.)

(It may seem odd that I'm using an older version of UW IMAP. Fact is, I'm
using a hosting provider running Ensim WEBppliance Pro on Redhat 7.3.
They're currently testing more current versions of Ensim on Fedora Core
1--hopefully they'll roll it out soon as it uses more current versions of
UW IMAP.)

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 23:15:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Thomas Smith wrote:
> At the risk of being redundant, imap-utils *will* work for imap-2001a

Yes

> and

No.  You can use the modern programs (such as mailutil).

> package (such as mailutil)?

Current versions of the UW IMAP toolkit include modern tools that replace 
the programs that were in imap-utils.

> Which version of UW IMAP was imap-utils first merged with?

imap-2002.

> in the osdeps Makefile? (This is suggested in the IMAP-FAQ.)

If you want a different default for newly-created mailboxes, yes.

> 1--hopefully they'll roll it out soon as it uses more current versions of

Why can't you just install an updated version from the UW FTP server?

-- Mark --