Subject: "newmail" using c-client.a/mbx format ??

From: Andrew Daviel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 19:15:10 -0700 (PDT)

I recently  changed to MBX format on my desktop, prior to maybe
deploying it on our site IMAP server. A minor "gotcha" - I use procmail
filters and forgot to change $DEFAULT to |dmail and jammed my inbox
such that Pine, mbxcvt wouldn't read it.

I use procmail to send mail to a number of inboxes, and Steve Creps'
"newmail" in a little xterm to monitor important ones. newmail beeps and
prints the From and Subject fields so I can tell whether I should read it
now, or next week maybe :-)

newmail doesn't work with MBX format, only Unix format. Is there
a way to get this functionality back ? I had a quick look at chkmail but
as far as I can see it doesn't have header information available, merely
a count of new messages. I could perhaps modify newmail, since I only
want to run on local files.

Andrew Daviel
TRIUMF

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Andrew Daviel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 15:15:29 -0700 (PDT)

> a way to get this functionality back ? I had a quick look at chkmail but

Oh well ... I copied the headers in procmail and wrote them to a Unix pipe
with a little bit of Perl, then have another bit of Perl reading the pipe
in an xterm. Better than something sitting in memory scanning the inboxes,
and now I can have a different noise for each inbox ... :-)

(a long time ago someone posted a soundbite from Star Trek  "turbolift
doors opening" to Usenet, whence it made its way to a Slackware CD-ROM,
and I've been using it to announce mail. Sounds like the paper boy
throwing a phonebook onto your doorstep from out in the road somewhere..)

Andrew