Subject: UW IMAP Login Issues (with VIMAP Patch)

From: "John-Andrew M. Minniti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 23:16:00 -0400

Hello all,

I have recently installed UW IMAP with Mark Crispin's VIMAP patch.  I have a
question about loging in to the POP/IMAP server.  Obviously I know how, but
it fails with system users.  Basically my problem boils down to this....

I have my main domain and IP address for the server... I also have several
virtual domains each with a unique IP address.  I want to be able to have
them log into a mail server at their domain.. eg. mail.virtual.com. which
uses a an "A" record in the zone file to point to their unique IP and an MX
record to create the mail server.  Anyhow, virtual email users can log into
mail.virtual.com.  However, the actual users cannot log into
mail.virtual.com, only into mail.maindomain.com.

A sample Zone file for a domain would be something like....

;authoritative data for virtualdomain.com
@               IN      SOA     ns.maindomain.com.
hostmaster.ns.maindomain.com.
                                (
                                2001091800      ;Serial Number: YYYYMMDDxx
                                80000           ;Refresh time
                                3600            ;Retry Time
                                604800          ;Time
                                86400           ;Minimum TTL
                                )
                IN      NS      ns.maindomain.com.
                IN      NS      ns2.maindomain.com.
                IN      MX      10      mail
                IN      A       unique.ip.address
www             IN      A       unique.ip.address
ftp             IN      A       unique.ip.address
mail            IN      A       unique.ip.address

This should work... shouldn't it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated (BTW, I am running RH 6.1) and
installed VIMAP from the sourceforge RPM).  Also i'm not sure if this is the
correct forum, but couldn't find one for only VIMAP and figured I'd give it
a try.

Thanks

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------