Subject: [Imap-uw] imap and nisplus?

From: "Segura, John A." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:29:29 -0600

Hello all,

I'm using thunderbird to login to my sendmail server which is running
imapd/popd all of which are Solaris 8 boxes with nis+. However, I can
authenticate with the mail server, it comes back with bad login. Is
there a sendmail/imapd setting somewhere that needs to be changed so it
can use nis+ to authenticate? My mail server is a client in the nis+
domain. I can telnet/ssh using my account and current password just
fine, I just can't retrieve mail. Thanks,

JS

_______________________________________________
Imap-uw mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/imap-uw

---

From: Alan Thew <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:42:25 +0000 (GMT)

>fine, I just can't retrieve mail. Thanks,

IIRC, when using UW and nis+ your "mail" machine needs NIS+ "admin 
rights" so that a root process can compare a passord.

Alan Thew

---

From: Brian Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 07:21:39 -0500

You need to make sure you're using a version of uw-imapd that
was compiled with PAM support. If I remember correctly, the
version that Sun supplies on the Solaris Software Companion CD
isn't PAM enabled.

-Brian

Segura, John A. wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I’m using thunderbird to login to my sendmail server which is running 
> there a sendmail/imapd setting somewhere that needs to be changed so 
> it can use nis+ to authenticate? My mail server is a client in the 
> nis+ domain. I can telnet/ssh using my account and current password 
> just fine, I just can’t retrieve mail. Thanks,
>
> JS
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 10:23:14 -0600

Actually, I compile my uw-imap with STD support instead of PAM.  I did a 
lot of stack tracing and found there to be less code sent through the CPU 
and faster execution with the STD authentication rather than the PAM/PMB 
and more loadables.  Not much mind you, but when you're running 10 imap's 
a second, every little bit helps? 

Solaris 8 08/02

=============================
Ken Koch
Information Systems
314.935.8315
=============================

Brian Thompson <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked]
01/27/2006 06:21 AM

To
"Segura, John A." <[email-masked]>
cc
[email-masked]
Subject
Re: [Imap-uw] imap and nisplus?

-Brian