Subject: AUTHENTICATE problem

From: "Neil Chan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 15:37:50 +0800

Hi,

I have compiled uw-imapd clients into a php enabled apache server and a
Cyrus IMAP server on another machine. When I used "telnet host 143" and
type "a01 login xxx yyy", the authentication with Cyrus succeeded.
However, I got the following log when php function imap_open is used.

[26599]: recv: "* OK tpot012 Cyrus IMAP4 v1.6.22 server ready", host:
imapserver
[26599]: send: "00000001 AUTHENTICATE LOGIN", host: imapserver
[26599]: recv: "00000001 NO no mechanism available", host: imapserver
[26599]: send: "00000001 NO Authentication failure: No reply or Bad
Communication with mail server", host: webserver
[26599]: Access Denied: user="imapuser" from client
webserver[192.168.1.1] attempted t
o to access server imapserver[192.168.1.2]

It is noted the imap_open tried to use the strings "0000001 AUTHENTICATE
LOGIN" and is reject by Cyrus since there is not any auth method called
"LOGIN" is supported.

Although imap_open generate message above but it still managed to
authenticate successfully because it will try other login method (a01
login xxx yyy, I guessed) after failure.

However, now I want to used a imap proxy in between the web and imap
server. But the proxy failed because it immediately drop the connection
after receiving the tagged "NO" respones from imap server.

In short , I want to make the c-client directly use the LOGIN command
(a01 login xxx yyy) without using AUTHENTICATE command first. Could
anyone tell me which function should be modified and how to do so? My
knowledge with c-client and C is limited and any pointer is appreciated.

Also, I would like to know if "0000001 AUTHENTICATE LOGIN" is a valid
imap client command or not.

Thank you.

Regards,
Neil

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:17:44 -0700 (PDT)

c-client will only do an "AUTHENTICATE LOGIN" if the server advertises
AUTH=LOGIN in the CAPABILITY list.  It will never send it otherwise.

I didn't see any CAPABILITY coming back from the Cyrus server in your example,
so my guess is that the IMAP proxy is to blame.