Subject: Re: Quota on imapd

From: "Marco Antonio V. Assad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 12:33:45 -0300

Thanks, I created the file /etc/c-client with a line "set new-folder-format
mbx", set up sendmail to deliver through tmail as stated in the man page and
everything seems to be running ok now. But there are still two minor
problems.

First, it can't deliver mail to root. It logs the following:
Aug  3 12:09:27 lx2 tmail[1409]: mail to root prohibited

Second, when the quota for a user expires, the message stays in the queue
until a timeout. Can't it return immediately to the sender as like procmail
does?

One more question: Which are the correct permissions to tmail?

Thanks in advance.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Trank" <[email-masked]>
To: "Marco Antonio V. Assad" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2000 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: Quota on imapd

>
> yes, now i understand your predicament.
>
> You  can have tmail do $HOME/INBOX mbx delivery instead of
> /var/spool/mail/<username> without the "-I" switch. The way to do this
> is to make a "/etc/c-client.cf" file, and indicate that the default
> folder type is mbx. This is described in the imaprc.txt
> file in the docs directory.
>
> I also think this is a bit unclear in the imap/c-client package....
> It is nice that the server programs automatically know to look first for
> "/var/spool/mail/<username>" and then if not, look for $HOME/INBOX. That
> would lead one to believe that tmail would prefer to deliver to this file
> before deciding to create a new "unix" type in /var/spool/mail. But that
> doesn't seem to be the case, unless you intervene using the cf file or by
> making changes in the source code....
>
> > >
> >
> > Well, I know about tmail and thought that delivering directly to the mbx
> > mailbox would be the solution. I understand that I would have to use the
"-I
> > #driver.mbx/INBOX". But as the man page for tmail states, if I use -I,
tmail
> > has to be set up suid root, and if I do that, I think it won't honor my
> > quota when delivering mail, that's why I'm trying to avoid it and
continue
> > using procmail.

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 17:06:11 -0700 (PDT)

> Aug  3 12:09:27 lx2 tmail[1409]: mail to root prohibited

That's by deliberate design.  tmail (and the rest of c-client) declines to
operate with root.  This is especially important with tmail, since it starts
out as setuid root.

> until a timeout. Can't it return immediately to the sender as like procmail

Gee, most sites want a retry on quota exceeded.  You have the source, it's
easy enough to coerce tmail failures to hard errors.

> One more question: Which are the correct permissions to tmail?

tmail should be -rwsr-xr-x, that is, protection 4755, owned by root.