Subject: authentication identity vs. authorization identity

From: "Jonnie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:24:00 +0100

Is there something special I need to know / do to get 
authentication identity vs. authorization identity working
with UW-IMAP 2000.287 ?

I've tried stuff like

tag LOGIN userA*userB  userBpassword

but I get 
tag BAD Missing required argument to LOGIN

what am I doing wrong?

--
Jon Kyme

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Get your own FREE local e-mail address at http://www.merseymail.com/
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:21:17 -0700 (PDT)

> authentication identity vs. authorization identity working

If you are using the c-client library in your program, you should use the
/authuser= switch instead of relying upon the "*" hack

> tag BAD Missing required argument to LOGIN

You have to quote any token that has an * in it, e.g.
	tag LOGIN "userA*userB" userBpassword

Once again, the * hack to LOGIN is a hack.  You should be using SASL
authentication (AUTHENTICATE command) instead.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.

---

From: "Jonnie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 22:43:08 +0100

Thank you!
Things are much clearer now.  I'm working on expiring messages
from our users 'Sent' and 'Trash' folders.