Subject: Cyrus SASL Authenticator

From: Jim Riggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:42:13 -0500

Having had this need/desire for quite some time (and having seen 
similar requests in the list archives), this past weekend I finally sat 
down and pounded out a c-client server AUTHENTICATOR that authenticates 
imapd/ipop[23]d using Cyrus SASL.  Why?  Well, I am using Postfix + 
Cyrus SASL for SMTP authentication, and keeping cram-md5.pwd in sync 
with Cyrus's DB has proven to be a pain.  This way, one sasldb or mysql 
table or whatever Cyrus SASL is using can authenticate POP, IMAP, and 
SMTP via SASL, something I have wanted for a long time.

Since Cyrus SASL dynamically loads mechanisms, I had to do some special 
handling to get c-client to essentially dynamically load them as well 
(which it doesn't technically support).  It also handles plain text and 
APOP authentication with a couple of changes to ipop3d.c and 
osdep/*/env_*.c.

I have done testing with plain, APOP, LOGIN, CRAM-MD5, and DIGEST-MD5 
on Darwin, and all seems to be working properly;  however, this has not 
been stress-tested and should be considered beta quality at best.  If 
you think this could be useful, please provide feedback and help me 
with testing.

If anyone is interested in more details and/or the code, I can post 
more information on the list or on a website.  Just let me know....

- Jim

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jim Riggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:24:02 -0500

I received several notes regarding interest in this, so I have posted a 
README and the code.  Please let me know if you come across any 
problems with it.

	http://jimandlissa.com/darwin/auth_cyr/

- Jim

> similar requests in the list archives), this past weekend I finally 
> sat down and pounded out a c-client server AUTHENTICATOR that 
> authenticates imapd/ipop[23]d using Cyrus SASL.  Why?  Well, I am 
> using Postfix + Cyrus SASL for SMTP authentication, and keeping 
> cram-md5.pwd in sync with Cyrus's DB has proven to be a pain.  This 
> way, one sasldb or mysql table or whatever Cyrus SASL is using can 
> authenticate POP, IMAP, and SMTP via SASL, something I have wanted for 
> a long time.
>
> Since Cyrus SASL dynamically loads mechanisms, I had to do some 
> special handling to get c-client to essentially dynamically load them 
> as well (which it doesn't technically support).  It also handles plain 
> text and APOP authentication with a couple of changes to ipop3d.c and 
> osdep/*/env_*.c.
>
> on Darwin, and all seems to be working properly;  however, this has 
> not been stress-tested and should be considered beta quality at best.  
> If you think this could be useful, please provide feedback and help me 
> with testing.
>