Subject: set new-folder-format same-as-inbox broken?

From: Mark Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:31:56 +0200

Could it be that "set new-folder-format same-as-inbox" documented in
<http://www.washington.edu/imap/documentation/imaprc.txt.html> does not
work in imap-2004c1? I have done a bunch of tests with this and it seems
to have no effect when the INBOX is in mbx format.  (New folders are
still in the system (Linux) default of traditional Unix) On the other
hande "set new-folder-format mbx" works as expected. Here is my
/etc/c-client.cf:

I accept the risk
# uncomment this if you want plaintext logins w/o ssl (a bad idea)
set disable-plaintext nil
# uncomment this if you want $HOME/.imaprc to work for individual users
# set allow-user-config T
# don't allow people to use .. and ~ in mailbox expressions (cleaner)
# set restrict-mailbox-access all
set new-folder-format mbx

regards,

Mark
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:13:59 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Mark Brand wrote:
> to have no effect when the INBOX is in mbx format.

It works for me.  I just tried it.  Note that an mbx-format INBOX must 
exist in order for this to work.

> set disable-plaintext nil

"nil" is not a valid argument.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

---

From: Mark Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:48:16 +0200

> exist in order for this to work.
Sorry about the false alarm. For some reason I can't reproduce the
problem anymore either (still using Mozilla as client). The only
difference I can point to between now and then is an update from Mozilla
1.7.6 to 1.7.7, but this seems like an impossible explanation.  I'll
assume that I made a mistake (several times) during my testing. Maybe
the imap connection was persisting  during the various versions of
c-client.cf and the file is only read once when imapd starts (invoked by
inetd). Still, I am puzzled because I restarted Mozilla several times
intending to rule out this possible effect.

"Mailutil create" is not affected by "set new-folder-format
same-as-inbox", but I think this is by design.

Mark

---

From: Mark Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:01:46 +0200

> exist in order for this to work.
The plot thickens: Now I see that mailutil create is affected by "set
new-folder-format mbx" but not by "set new-folder-format same-as-inbox".

brand@postman:~/mail> cat /etc/c-client.cf
I accept the risk
# uncomment this if you want plaintext logins w/o ssl (a bad idea)
set disable-plaintext 0
# uncomment this if you want $HOME/.imaprc to work for individual users
# set allow-user-config T
# don't allow people to use .. and ~ in mailbox expressions (cleaner)
# set restrict-mailbox-access all
set new-folder-format mbx
#set new-folder-format same-as-inbox
brand@postman:~/mail> mailutil create mail/test
brand@postman:~/mail> file test
test: MBX mail folder
brand@postman:~/mail> cat /etc/c-client.cf
I accept the risk
# uncomment this if you want plaintext logins w/o ssl (a bad idea)
set disable-plaintext 0
# uncomment this if you want $HOME/.imaprc to work for individual users
# set allow-user-config T
# don't allow people to use .. and ~ in mailbox expressions (cleaner)
# set restrict-mailbox-access all
#set new-folder-format mbx
set new-folder-format same-as-inbox
brand@postman:~/mail> mailutil create mail/test2
brand@postman:~/mail> file test2
test2: ASCII English text
brand@postman:~/mail> file ~/INBOX
/home/brand/INBOX: MBX mail folder
brand@postman:~/mail>