Subject: re: UW imap & NameSpace

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 13:04:36 -0700 (PDT)

The first question is what sort of system is running UW imapd.

If it is a UNIX based system, then the NAMESPACE command indicates the method
to access another user's mailboxes.  Normally, this is via the standard shell
"~" convention.  Whether or not access is permitted depends upon file and
directory protections; on most systems access to other users' mailboxes is not
permitted unless special steps are done to permit it.  Put another way, UW
imapd behaves just like any program run from the UNIX shell.

If it really is a Windows 2000 based system, then no, the current distribution
code does not offer a mechanism to disclose how to access another user's
mailboxes via the NAMESPACE extension.  I could investigate offering this;
it's basically a NetUserGetInfo() call.  You can always give a full path name.

As on UNIX, whether or not you actually have access to other users' mailboxes
depends upon file and directory access control.  I don't think that
Administrator has unconditional access to all files on the system.

Finally, I should reiterate that UW imapd, as distributed, is not a complete
email server package for Windows 2000, and probably has to be modified to work
with whatever SMTP and mailer package that you choose.  If I remember
correctly, Microsoft actually does provide an SMTP server by default in
Windows 2000, but I have not yet done the work to make UW imapd interoperate
with it particularly.

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000 12:52:45 -0700 , Rohit Sehgal wrote:
> I am using Windows 2000. UW-IMAP Server supports NameSpace in
> capability.
> Want I want to do is to look into somebody else's mailbox through
> IMAP. For example I log in as Administartor and want to see inbox
> folder of user Harry.
>
> Is it possible?? How I do that?

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 13:47:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000 13:43:25 -0700 , Rohit Sehgal wrote:
> I wanted to avoid modifying UW imapd otherwise we need to patch
> our server every time new release of UW imapd comes up.
> Also, do you have plan to support NTLM authentication for UW
> imapd???

I am considering support for both IIS and NTLM.  I can not commit to either at
the present time.