Subject: C-client core dumps with malformed To: line

From: "Erik Kangas, Ph.D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:36:11 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Using imap-2002b and v1.7 of the Perl c-client wrapper.  One of my users 
received a message with a very malformed To: header line.  Any access to this 
message via c-client causes the program to segmentation fault (RedHat linux 
7.3).  The To: line in questions is, excatly:

To: Kronos Staff <"[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked]
  [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked],
   [email-masked]

This is obviously wrong and is proven to be the culprit.  Perhaps a future 
version can be more forgiving.

Thank you,

-Erik Kangas

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Erik Kangas, Ph.D. --- President of Lux Scientiae, Incorporated

Lux Scientiae:       1-800-441-6612        46 Central Street
FAX:                 1-413-332-0598        Somerville, Massachusetts
Cell:                1-617-596-9558        02143, United States of America
AOL Messenger:       "luxsci"

[email-masked]  ---  http://luxsci.com

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:45:34 -0700 (PDT)

I am unable to reproduce the problem.  c-client's parsing routines parsed
that header as well as could be expected with no segmentation fault.  The
display routines in multiple c-client applications all worked without a
segfault as well.

Are you certain that the core dump was in c-client and not the Perl
c-client wrapper?  Perhaps the Perl wrapper does not correct handle the
various error tokens returned when parsing that.

Do you have a stack trace for the core dump?  Can you supply the *exact*
message which caused the problem as an attachment?

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.