Subject: Setting Black-box-directory in /etc/c-client.cf

From: Peter Sorensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:07:50 +0200

Hi,

I am trying to let users logging in from browsers (NS/IE) to choose whether to
read mail with IMAP or POP3. I Have the following lines in /etc/c-client.cf
and
yes I am aware of the warning against using this.

....
set black-box-directory /home/folders/
....

This works fine. A user can now use IMAP to read mail, and folders are
placed in /home/folders/<user>

The problem is than when /home/folders/<user> is created, the POdaemon ipop3d
cannot see the system mailbox. Why??

regards and thanks

Peter Sørensen/University of Southern Denmark/e-mail:[email-masked]

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Andrej Borsenkow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:24:18 +0400

> cannot see the system mailbox. Why??

Because it can't :-) If you set blackbox, you also have to arrange for the
delivery to blackbox INBOX. The simplest thing is to configure your MDA
(sendmail?) to use tmail as local mailer. I use dmail from out of procmailrc.

You can of course hack env_unix.c ... assuming, that you fully understand, what
you are doing.

/andrej

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 19:33:03 -0700 (PDT)

> cannot see the system mailbox. Why??

Now you know why there's a warning against using the configuration
file; these functions are very specific for UW-internal use and are not
generally useful outside of UW.

In black-box, the INBOX is always /home/folders/<user>/INBOX no matter
what driver reads the mail.  There is no use of the mail spool directory
at all.