Subject: IMAP tools software mail utility help in wrong order

From: Henrik Edlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:52:39 +0200 (CEST)

This corresponds to IMAP-2004 release. Bug report address extracted from 
imap-2004/SUPPORT.

In the output of mailutil below, the "prune mailbox of ..." should be 
exchanged with "copy/move messages to existing mailbox" line so the help 
text corresponds to the correct command.

$ mailutil
usage: mailutil check [-debug] [-verbose] [mailbox]
  ;; report number of messages and new messages
        mailutil create [-debug] [-verbose] new_mailbox
  ;; create new mailbox
        mailutil delete [-debug] [-verbose] mailbox
  ;; delete existing mailbox
        mailutil rename [-debug] [-verbose] source destination
  ;; rename mailbox to a new name
        mailutil (copy | move) [-debug] [-verbose] old_mailbox new_mailbox
  ;; create new mailbox and copy/move messages
        mailutil (append | appenddelete) [-debug] [-verbose] source destination
  ;; prune mailbox of messages matching criteria
        mailutil prune [-debug] [-verbose] mailbox search_criteria
  ;; copy/move messages to existing mailbox
        mailutil transfer [-debug] [-verbose] [-merge mode] source destination
;;  make copy of source hierarchy to destination
;;  -merge modes are prompt, append, or suffix=xxxx

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 12:21:58 -0700 (PDT)

I have fixed this.  Thank you.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

---

From: Henrik Edlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:25:46 +0200 (CEST)

> I have fixed this.  Thank you.

Thanks.

I also seem to have problem with "appenddelete". It sure appends, just 
like "append", but it does not delete the messages it has moved to the 
existing mailbox. I have to use "prune ALL" in my script now to get rid of 
the messages after I moved them using "appenddelete", which has some 
un-nice race conditions.

Anything known?

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 12:51:15 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, Henrik Edlund wrote:
> I also seem to have problem with "appenddelete". It sure appends, just like 
> "append", but it does not delete the messages it has moved to the existing 
> mailbox. I have to use "prune ALL" in my script now to get rid of the 
> messages after I moved them using "appenddelete", which has some un-nice race 
> conditions.

appenddelete works for me.  Is the source mailbox readonly?  What server 
are you using?

-- Mark --

---

From: Henrik Edlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:53:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, Mark Crispin wrote:

> appenddelete works for me.  Is the source mailbox readonly?

No. It is writable by the user running mailutil.

>  What server are you using?

This is direct disk access. But otherwise I run your IMAP-2004.

---

From: Henrik Edlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 22:02:02 +0200 (CEST)

> appenddelete works for me.  Is the source mailbox readonly?

I ran it now with -verbose -debug on a mailbox with 3 instead of 1 test 
message. Seems it expunged 2 of the 3 messages and left 1. This explains 
why I thought it never expunged as I tested on a mailbox with 1 message 
before. But it is still a bug:

$ mailutil appenddelete -debug -verbose Mail/henrik Mail/read-messages
/home/henrik/Mail/henrik [3 message(s)] => Mail/read-messages
[Ok 3 messages(s)]
[Expunged 2 messages]

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 13:04:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, Henrik Edlund wrote:
> message.

This sounds like a bug that was fixed a few months ago.

Does it work in the imap-2004a development snapshot?
 	ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap-2004a.DEV.tar.Z

-- Mark --

---

From: Henrik Edlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 22:12:28 +0200 (CEST)

> ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap-2004a.DEV.tar.Z

I'll compile it tomorrow and report back.

---

From: Henrik Edlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:14:53 +0200 (CEST)

> ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap-2004a.DEV.tar.Z

"appenddelete" in mailutil from imap-2004a.DEV.SNAP-0407071749 work as 
expected. The one in imap-2004 is broken.

---

From: Erik Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:38:27 -0400

Hello,

We have noticed that in some cases when a user deletes messages from a 
folder using IMAP (and then expunges the deleted messages) the physical 
size of the folder in question does not change.

The case in point is with UW IMAP v2004 and MBX folders.   Repeated 
deletions and expunges successfully remove large messages, but the 
physical folder remained [essentially] unchanged in size.  This seems to 
happen sometimes, but not always.

Under what conditions does this actually happen?

Is there a way to force the imap server to garbage collect the mbx 
folders?  Or is soemthing else going on?

This is an important issue as, when this happens, the seemingly 
deleted/expunged  messages still take up disk quota space for the users 
in question.

Thank you for any pointers.

-Erik Kangas / Lux Scientiae

---

From: Shawn Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:32:32 -0500

What am I'm doing wrong with the email address?

I have the following set:

"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

I don't see what could cause c-client to return an error.

Thanks,
Shawn

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:15:02 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Erik Kangas wrote:
> The case in point is with UW IMAP v2004 and MBX folders.   Repeated deletions 
> and expunges successfully remove large messages, but the physical folder 
> remained [essentially] unchanged in size.  This seems to happen sometimes, 
> but not always.

I see that nobody answered this while I was on vacation.

Expunged messages can only be removed from the mailbox when an expunge or 
checkpoint happens while only one session has the mailbox open.  Shared 
expunge just marks the message as invisible; exclusive access is needed to 
do the message removal (I call it "burping").

-- Mark --

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:21:51 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

> I don't see what could cause c-client to return an error.

What is the actual string that you are passing?

The parser is complaining about you passing:
 	<>
which is invalid except as a Return-Path.

-- Mark --