Subject: Basic installation questions - Mandrake 10

From: Peter Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:25:32 -0400

I'm a former *n*x guy, but I've been condemned to Windows-land for 10 
years.  Now I've got my first Linux (Mandrake 10) machine, and I'm 
trying to set it up as an IMAP4/SquirrelMail server. I built openssl and 
imap, and I can telnet to the POP and IMAP servers, but I can't log in.  
I gather this has to do with the fact that plain text passwords are 
disabled by default.  However, I can't telnet to the SSL socket (995) at 
all, so I'm at a loss how to procede.  I've looked in the Makefile, FAQ, 
etc., but didn't find anything I could understand that seemed to relate.

Once I can actually connect to this machine, I need to figure out how 
best to move all my old mail (some in mbox format, some in MH) onto it, 
so I have all my old and new mail accessible from one place.

Thanks very much.
-pd

-- 
--------
                             Peter Davis
               Funny stuff at http://www.pfdstudio.com
                 The artwork formerly shown as prints
    List of resources for children's writers and illustrators at:
                  http://www.pfdstudio.com/cwrl.html

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ralf Utermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:34:06 +0200

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 10:25:32AM -0400, Peter Davis wrote:
[...]
> imap, and I can telnet to the POP and IMAP servers, but I can't log in.  
[...]
To connect on the command line you use openssl, like:
openssl s_client -connect <mailserver>:995

Bye, Ralf
-- 
        Ralf Utermann
_____________________________________________________________________
        Universität Augsburg, Institut für Physik   --   EDV-Betreuer
        Universitätsstr.1             
        D-86135 Augsburg                     Phone:  +49-821-598-3231
        SMTP: [email-masked]         Fax: -3411

---

From: Peter Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:26:57 -0400

>openssl s_client -connect <mailserver>:995

I just tried this from Windows, and got:

CONNECTED(00000003)
write:errno=104

Does that indicate anything?

Thanks,
-pd

---

From: Peter Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:44:56 -0400

> Does that indicate anything?

I've tried this locally also, with the same result.

I don't undertand.  I built and installed openssl, and I built and 
installed imap.  But I can't log in.  I can't find any documentation on 
why I can't log in, and I can't find any documentation on how to 
actually connect this with the Gb of mail that I have.

Any clues?

Thanks,

-pd

---

From: Ralf Utermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:02:16 +0200

> actually connect this with the Gb of mail that I have.

If everything is installed as default and correct on the imap-server,
then check your cert file with something like:

openssl x509 -noout -fingerprint -inform PEM <  /usr/local/certs/imapd.pem

It should give a md5 fingerprint.

---

From: Peter Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:32:37 -0400

>openssl x509 -noout -fingerprint -inform PEM <  /usr/local/certs/imapd.pem

I did find a /usr/local/ssl/certs directory, but no imapd.pem file.  
There's no such file in the imap source hierarchy either.   How should 
that file have been created?

>It should give a md5 fingerprint.
What would that look like?

Thanks very much.

-pd