Subject: Messages re-appearing in Inbox

From: Adam Chlipala <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 10:18:53 -0400

I'm running uw-imapd-ssl under Debian with exim.  Every once in a while, 
old messages that I have already received in my Inbox, and already 
deleted or otherwise filed, will reappear in my Inbox as though they 
were new.  Sometimes some of them will even show up as "already read." 
 Users of this system who use POP3 to get their mail say they haven't 
encountered anything like this, and I've had this happen to me with both 
Mozilla mailnews and the SquirrelMail web client using SSL IMAP.  Does 
anyone have any suggestions about what could be wrong with my setup?

Thanks,
Adam

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 11:33:48 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Adam Chlipala wrote:
> were new.

The most common cause is that you inadvertantly (or your client foolishly)
opened a second session to a traditional UNIX format mailbox, which caused
the first session to go read-only.  Clients which do not fully comprehend
the IMAP protocol may fail to recognize read-only state, and proceed to
tell you that they have deleted messages which, in fact, were not deleted.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.