Subject: How to set SET_READTIMEOUT

From: "Shawn Walker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:43:36 -0600

How to set SET_READTIMEOUT when there is no stream to begin with?  I found a
problem when attempting to connect to a SSL port (993) but the user never
specified the port is SSL so it's trying to connect with a regular connect
(like using port 143).  The select() never timeout in tcp_getdata() because
the timeout is NULL.

Shawn

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:01:36 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Shawn Walker wrote:
> How to set SET_READTIMEOUT when there is no stream to begin with?

Since SET_READTIMEOUT sets a global value, the stream argument is ignored
and thus the stream can be NIL.

> I found a

Didn't the SSL IMAP server presently close the connection?

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.

---

From: "Shawn Walker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 19:38:09 -0600

No, the problem is that the client is the one that start the SSL connection.
>From looking at Ethereal with a normal SSL connection, you will see the
following...

          Client    Server
           SYN   ->
                 <- SYN, ACK
           ACK   ->
SSL Client Hello ->
                 <- ACK
                 <- SSL Server Hello

If the user never select "SSL" checkbox and then connect, the server is
waiting for a "SSL Client Hello" from the client.  For a normal session
(port 143) the server send a IMAP response (OK response).

Shawn

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:42:32 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

> (port 143) the server send a IMAP response (OK response).

And doesn't the server eventually time out when the SSL Client Hello is
not forthcoming?

-- Mark --