Subject: Problems with imapd-2002e and verisign-signed cert

From: Chris Ross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:18:39 -0500

I made a self-signed cert with OpenSSL (on a Solaris machine),
and that worked just fine.  I'm forced back to using it now.

   However, we recently purchased a verisign "Pro" cert, and I
can't figure out how to make that work.

   If I do what I did before, and just combine the cert and
the key in the imapd.pem file, it fails.  An "openssl verify"
shows that it's looking for a local signing cert.  Okay, so
I eventually figured out how to get both the root CA for
verisign, and the Intermediate CA that was used for my cert
(something to do with it being "pro", I think).  If I put
those in hash-named files, as openssl suggests, I can then
"openssl verify" the cert/key pair.  But that wasn't good
enough for imapd either, and it didn't even appear to try
opening the other files.  So, I put those other two certs
into the same file (imapd.pem) as the cert i received from
Verisign, and the private key I made when generating the CSR
to send to verisign.

   Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?  In most
all cases, the imapd will invoke, but just hang in an 8k
read, after already reading the 100-some bytes from the
client.  (With the self-signed cert, it would read those
bytes in calls to read of the correct length.  I should
look in the code for that...)

   Thank you much for your time.

                              - Chris

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------