Subject: Solaris, IMAP, /etc/shadow, imap-2002e

From: "Stephen E. Canell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:39:53 -0800

Can anyone tell me how to get UW IMAP to use the shadow file for
authentication?

no changes to Makefile
I did "make sol"
copied imapd to /usr/sbin
inetd.conf entry:  imap    stream  tcp     nowait  root
/usr/sbin/imapd         imapd
To test, I used telnet <servername> 143
Entered: 1 login scanell <password>
Response: 1 NO LOGIN failed

password and user account are correct and verified through other login
mechanisms.

--
Stephen E. Canell
Technical Lead, UNIX System Admin
Institutional Business Systems
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, California 91109
Phone: (818) 354-1731
Fax: (818) 393-4541
PGP: scanell pgp.mit.edu 0E9A86C2
PGP: Stephen Canell pgp.mit.edu 389A44F7

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:53:24 -0800 (PST)

> Response: 1 NO LOGIN failed

In the greeting banner message, you probably noticed a LOGINDISABLED.
By default, you can't do plaintext password authentication in a channel
that is not secured by SSL or TLS.  The files BUILD and SSLBUILD contain
additional information on this topic.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.