Subject: cannot run imaps on Solaris 8

From: Jos� Gracia Neto - CAT <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:57:16 -0300 (EST)

Hi,

This is my first question to this list. I just installed imap on a sparc
machine running Solaris 8. I compiled it from source, activating SSL just
like BUILD and SSLBUILD tells me to do.
As for imap on port 143, it works just fine, but imaps on 993 gives this
message:

% telnet myhost 993
Trying 152.123.456.10...
Connected to myhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
O logout
Jul 27 08:23:56 myhost imapd[625]: SSL error status:
error:140760FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:unknown protocol
Connection closed by foreign host.
%

Can anybody help me?

Thanks

Jose

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:41:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:57:16 -0300 (EST), =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?Jos=E9_Gracia_Neto_-
> % telnet myhost 993

This is not a reasonable test.  You can't telnet to a port 993 server.  You
got exactly the correct response expected from doing that.

Try using openssl's "s_client" command.

---

From: "Mark Elvers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 00:13:46 +0100

I'm looking for some advice on the correct way to handle a From name which
c-client reports as:

"=?iso-8859-1?q?matthew=20walker?="

Looking at the source of the message it says:

From: =?iso-8859-1?q?matthew=20walker?= <user@domain>

I can of course just do a strncmp() for incoming From names which start in
this way, but it would be nice to do the "correct thing".  I've only seen
them coming from Yahoo's web mail.

Thanks

Mark

---

From: Vadim Zeitlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 12:51:00 +0200 (Romance Daylight Time)

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 00:13:46 +0100 Mark Elvers <[email-masked]> wrote:

ME> I'm looking for some advice on the correct way to handle a From name which
ME> c-client reports as:
ME> 
ME> "=?iso-8859-1?q?matthew=20walker?="

 c-client has functions for decoding encoded words like this in rfc822.h.
You should probably read RFC 2047 to understand how to use them.

 Regards,
VZ

---

From: "Mark Elvers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:34:07 +0100

I can't find any functions in rfc822.[ch], but I did read RFC2047 and found
a function utf8_mime2text() in utf8.c which seems to do the conversion - is
this what you had in mind?

Thanks

--mte

---

From: Vadim Zeitlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:13:39 +0200 (CET)

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:34:07 +0100 Mark Elvers <[email-masked]> wrote:

ME> I can't find any functions in rfc822.[ch], but I did read RFC2047 and found
ME> a function utf8_mime2text() in utf8.c which seems to do the conversion - is
ME> this what you had in mind?

 In fact, no, I didn't: I'm parsing the charset myself and then call
rfc822_base64() or rfc822_qprint() depending on the encoding as c-client
mime2_decode() is not flexible enough for my needs. But you probably
could/should use it if you don't need anything fancy unlike me.

 Regards,
VZ

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:22:11 -0700 (PDT)

> could/should use it if you don't need anything fancy unlike me.

Yes; everybody please note that the only purpose of mime2_decode() is to
convert a header with MIME2 encoded words into UTF-8.  In all other instances,
c-client treats MIME2 encoded words as a user interface issue, and leaves the
tokens encoded as MIME2.

This is because IMAP currently has a requirement for 7-bit for all strings
which are not labelled as to character set, which results in a severe
limitation on the use of 8-bit.  8-bit strings can only be transmitted as
literals (8-bits in a quoted string is a violation of the protocol) and only
for message body TEXT segements labelled with a character set.  It is highly
unlikely (read: it won't happen) that IMAP will ever relax this restriction,
with one exception: 8-bit UTF-8.

MIME2 encoded words are 7-bit (and are character set labelled), which comforms
to IMAP and thus is the underlying reason why c-client leaves it alone.

One other thing.  Implementors should take note.  "Verbum sat sapienti est".

New applications should be written to use Unicode internally, be capable of
accepting and generating UTF-8 externally, and treat all other character sets
as conversions to/from the internal form.  c-client will help you on the
"convert from some other character set to UTF-8" side, but for the nonce you
are on your own for "convert from UTF-8 to some other character set."

Lots of work, enough to give us all job security for some time...  :-)