Subject: IMAP

From: Jeff Zacharias <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 20:25:53 -0400

Hi,

I tried using your imap server, imapd-4.5, imapd-200a, and even the 
imap-2001 beta.  They all work great and have something I really need, 
the leave the mail in /var/spool/mail/userName.  The one problem I am 
having is that our Mac OS X computers using Apple's Mail program do not 
work with this server.  Apple Mail works with every other IMAP server we 
have tried including several ISP's and dkimap4.  I can't use dkimap4 
because it moves the mail out of /var/spool/mail.

I did some debugging in the code, which I found very hard to follow, and 
found that Apple Mail gets into the mail_list() function in c-
client/mail.c, is in the do loop which makes a call to another function 
referencd by (d-l>list).  It never returns from there.

I have looked at the logs and even compared the to another IMAP client 
and don't see anything different except the pattern passed into the 
above function.  For Apple Mail, the log shows a login and that's all.  
We have also spent about 12+ hours reading documention, looking at code, 
and trying different things.

Can you offer any suggestion how I can fix or work around this problem ?

Thanks,

Jeff Z
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Sebastian Hagedorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 12:17:21 +0200

-- Jeff Zacharias <[email-masked]> is rumored to have mumbled 
on Samstag, 18. August 2001 20:25 Uhr -0400 regarding IMAP:

> work with this server.

That's not true. I've successfully used Apple Mail with the UW-imapd 2001. 
However, Apple Mail is braindead in that it doesn't allow you to specify 
where to look for mailboxes. That way if you compile UW-imapd out of the 
box, it will display the entire hierarchy under your home directory. Maybe 
that's causing your problems?

In order to get Apple Mail to work I had t change the mailbox location. 
With the most recent beta it's simply a compile flag (check FAQ and BUILD 
in the docs directory). Anyway, it's really not worth it because Apple Mail 
sucks as an IMAP client. Check out Mulberry from Cyrusoft 
(www.cyrusoft.com) if you're looking for a decent GUI-based IMAP mailer for 
Mac OS X. But I notice that you're probably looking at this as a provider, 
not from the client side...

Cheers, Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn
Ehrenfeldgürtel 156, 50823 Köln, Germany
http://www.spinfo.uni-koeln.de/~hgd/
This mail was sent using Mac OS X