Subject: Mahogany e-mail client 0.50 released

From: Karsten Ballueder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:57:02 +0100 (GMT)

A new release of the `Mahogany' e-Mail and News client has been made.
===================================================================== 

Binaries and source for a variety of Linux and Unix systems are
available at http://www.wxwindows.org/Mahogany/

In this message:

1. Announcing Mahogany Version 0.50
2. Changes against the previous release

Announcing Mahogany Version 0.50 
===================================================================== 

Mahogany is an OpenSource(TM) cross-platform mail and news client. It
is available for X11/Unix and MS Windows platforms, supporting a wide
range of protocols and standards, including POP3, IMAP and full MIME
support as well as optional security via SSL. 
Thanks to its built-in Python interpreter it can be extended far
beyond its original functionality.

Mahogany's wealth of features and ease of use make it one of the most
powerful clients available, providing a consistent and intuitive
interface across all supported platforms.

It aims at supporting GNOME (and KDE for that matter) and includes an
extendable address book system supporting hierarchical organisation of
entries, group aliases, searching the database and easy editing, with
support for other program`s address database formats. Currently
Mahogany`s native format, (X)Emacs` BBDB address books and PalmOS
address books are supported.

Mahogany is being developed using the free wxWindows application
framework, building on the GTK+ toolkit on Unix.

Mahogany is constantly being tested on a variety of Linux system,
Solaris-sparc and MS Windows. It should compile and work on any major
Unix platform.

CHANGES AGAINST RELEASE 0.23a / UPDATE :
===================================================================== 

This is the long anticipated "major release" with a long list of
improvements and new features. Key points are:

  - Filtering rules added
  - Proper MH/NNTP/IMAP support and subscription management
  - PalmOS connectivity, mail/addressbook support and generic frontend
  - HTML online help
  - optional SSL encrypted communications

  - NNTP/News support is still very basic but one of the main
    points of activity for the upcoming 0.51 release.

 Release 0.50 is Unix-only and should be followed by a common
 Unix and Windows Version within about four to six week. The next
 month or so will be dedicated to updating translations and bringing
 the Windows version back in sync.

A more complete list of changes:

 * Proper support for MH folders.
 * Browsing and subscription management for IMAP and NNTP servers.
 * A plugin module system has been created which allows to dynamically
   load expansion modules. Existing modules (statically linked in this
   release, but dynamically linkable) include a filtering language
   and PalmOS support. For the future, a calendar/timeplanner plugin
   is planned.
 * Configurable filtering rules have been added.
 * Message threading and configurable sort order is supported.
 * An HTML-based help browser has been added. 
 * Configurable date format.
 * Handling of dial-up networking and detection of connection status.
 * Optional user of a Trash folder.
 * Wizard-dialogs and ``tip of the day'' dialogs added to make Mahogany
   easier to use.
 * Optional SSL support can be compiled in (not activated by default
   due to US export restrictions), allowing secure access to mail and
   news servers.
 * PalmOS handheld connectivity: synchronise e-mails with your PalmOS
   handheld computer and use its addressbook within Mahogany. Also,
   backup, restore and install databases of your handheld.
 * Bug fixes in nearly all parts of the code. Mahogany should suffer
   much less from crashes than earlier versions. The message editor
   behaves better and is faster.
 * Minor GUI improvements like keyboard bindings and nicer icons. Support
   for KDE and GNOME filetype icons.

NEXT 
===================================================================== 

  0.51 will be a minor update, mainly to bring translations up to date,
  to improve newsreader functionality and to release the version for 
  MS-Windows. Anticipated release date should be early to mid May 2000.

  After that we plan to work on the following next:
   
   - test and complete multi-threading to allow network operations to
     happen in background (almost complete)
   - write a faster Mailbox file format (possibly using ODBC?)
   - full HTML message editing/displaying (almost complete)
   - full drag and drop interaction with filemanagers and between folders
   - a calendar/timeplanner plugin, synchronised with the PalmOS support

Please direct any queries to [email-masked]

--
 Karsten Ballüder  http://Ballueder.home.dhs.org/  mailto:[email-masked]
 Physics Department, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS, Scotland
                     Tel. +44-(0)-131-4513068  Fax. +44-(0)-131-4513136
            "In a world without fences, who needs Gates?"  

--
 Karsten Ballüder  http://Ballueder.home.dhs.org/  mailto:[email-masked]
 Physics Department, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS, Scotland
                     Tel. +44-(0)-131-4513068  Fax. +44-(0)-131-4513136
            "In a world without fences, who needs Gates?"

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 14:36:33 -0600 (CST)

Nice to hear that M is still going forward..  It is still somewhat
difficult for me to get to work.  I will try this latest release soon.

With regard to version 0.51:  I hope that you have a way of being able
to use the threads libraries for UnixWare 2.1 and UnixWare 7.  It seems
that SCO doesn't provide the Posix threads, instead they still use the
old SUN threads libraries.  This has been causing me problems getting 
threads based applications to compile and work for me.  XFree86 has
handled this by providing an XThreads header that does the conversion
for you. 

Has Mr. Crispin accepted any of your threads based patches back into the
C-Client library?

To those of you on the M lists,  Please include me in any replies you make
since I am on the c-client list, not your lists.

Bill Suetholz