Subject: ipop3d access to .imapalert file?

From: Alan Thew <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:38:03 +0100 (BST)

Has anyone hacked a way that POP3 users can get this data as a pseudo
message in the way that some POP servers deliver bulletins?

I'm not bothered about repeat messages.

Thanks

-- 
Alan Thew                                       [email-masked]
Computing Services,University of Liverpool      Fax: +44 151 794-4442

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/imap/c-client-list.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 19:29:02 -0700 (PDT)

> I'm not bothered about repeat messages.

There's been some talk about doing this; I have two other messages in my
INBOX that request this.  I've been too busy to address this request yet.

Is it really correct to have POP3 deliver a .imapalert into the INBOX (as
a pseudo-message) but IMAP deliver it as an IMAP alert?  Isn't this going
to cause problems for dual IMAP/POP users (yes, it's bizarre, but they do
exist and their numbers are growing)?

Would it be better for there to be an additional mechanism that does the
deliver thing to both IMAP and POP?

What about local access?  [This affects how it is implemented]

---

From: Alan Thew <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:51:07 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 19:29 , Mark Crispin <[email-masked]> said:

>a pseudo-message) but IMAP deliver it as an IMAP alert? 

I can only speak for us but this would not matter from a user
perspective. Since your code supports sending an alert to an IMAP client
but POP3 has no mechanism, it seems the obvious (to me) way to go...

> Isn't this going

We have quite a number, I don't think it will be that much of a problem
since currently POP3 users get nothing at all...
>deliver thing to both IMAP and POP?

Probably.
>What about local access?  [This affects how it is implemented]
Don't know, I'm looking at getting info to users of our systems.

Thanks

Alan Thew