Subject: NEWBIE: Looking for web-based, IMAPS compatible e-mail product

From: "John Pritchard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 07:14:08 -0500

I recently installed a RedHat Linux 7.2 system.  I have all the latest
updates (up2date) and have loaded uw-imap.  I have been successful in
connecting to the e-mail to get POP and IMAP working via SSL.  I would
like to provide Web-Based e-mail access to the system.  I intended to
use SqirrelMail, but read in the notes that it does not work with IMAPS.
Does anyone have another suggestion or has someone found how to get
SqirrelMail to work without enabling plain text passwords?
 
John Pritchard
Catalyst Solutions

---

From: Josko Plazonic <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 09:10:04 -0400

I am surprised squirrelmail won't work with ssl - it's php based and, at 
least with more recent versions of php, I know php will provide ssl 
access to imap too.

Anyway, you can also:
a) use stunnel on your webmail server, e.g.
/usr/sbin/stunnel -c -d localhost:imap -r 
myimapserver.yournetexperts.com:simap
and then tell squirrelmail that the imap server is localhost.  That way 
all communication between imap server and webmail server is encrypted.  
I assume they are 2 different machines?
b) user imapproxy
http://www.imapproxy.org/
which may be a good idea anyway.  I believe they now can also proxy 
encrypted imap. I am more familiar with horde project (also php based) 
and there an imap proxy sitting between imap server and webmail server 
proved beneficial for perfomance.  This is due to the constant tearing 
down and rebuilding of imap connections - imapproxy caches them and 
speeds up thing considerably.

Josko P.

John Pritchard wrote:

> use SqirrelMail, but read in the notes that it does not work with 
> IMAPS.  Does anyone have another suggestion or has someone found how 
> to get SqirrelMail to work without enabling plain text passwords?
>  
> John Pritchard
> Catalyst Solutions

---

From: "Erik Kangas, Ph.D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 09:08:22 -0400 (EDT)

If WebMail and your IMAP daemon will be on the same machine, then 
you do not need IMAPS.  If they are on separate machines, you could
always use "stunnel" as a wrapper.

-Erik Kangas

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Erik Kangas, Ph.D. --- President of Lux Scientiae, Incorporated

Lux Scientiae:       1-800-441-6612        46 Central Street
FAX:                 1-413-332-0598        Somerville, Massachusetts
Cell:                1-617-596-9558        02143, United States of America
AOL Messenger:       "luxsci"

[email-masked]  ---  http://luxsci.com

---

From: "Oliver Schulze L." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 11:23:40 -0400

Hi,
I would suggest IMP 3.2.1 from www.horde.org
Is a nice webmail program with many features, including IMAPS/POP3S

HTH
Oliver

-- 
Oliver Schulze L.
<[email-masked]>