Subject: Odd problem with FOLDER LIST

From: David Kidston <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 15:17:23 -0400 (EST)

Hi! Odd problem here that I was about to forward to the bug list, but
figured it might have a simple solution out there. I've been using pine
for while and out of the blue I'm having problems opening the Folder
List. Press 'L' and all I get is: 

Problem detected: "Received abort signal".
Pine Exiting.

Any ideas why pine suddenly doesn't like listing files. Removing and
resetting mail folders and configuration files doesn't work on RH pine 
4.20. (Note, everything does work when I downgrade to 4.04...)

Any help would be, well, helpful ;-)

Cheers,
Dave
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Kidston			|  Communication Research Center
[email-masked]	|  Distributed Systems Management
(613)993-8074			|  http://www.crc.ca/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

	It is not so much our friends' help that helps us,
	as it is the confident knowledge that they will help. 
					-- Epicurus (341-270 BC)

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Scott Leibrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 11:32:16 -0800 (PST)

Where did you get your Pine binary?  Did you get it from ftp.cac or
compile it yourself?  If the latter, did you change any code?

I don't know the answers, but I usually know what questions to ask.  :)

-- 
Scott Leibrand
[email-masked]
http://students.washington.edu/leibrand
* RCW 19.190 notice: This email address is located in Washington State. *
* Unsolicited commercial email may be billed $500 per message.          *

---

From: David Kidston <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 16:09:31 -0400 (EST)

I picked the binaries from the RPM on the RedHat 6.1 CD, so it's
completely stock. Could it be some kind of odd terminal problem? - I'm
accessing remotely via SSH...

(Since it's binary, there's no debug information to go on either...)

Cheers,
Dave

---

From: Scott Leibrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 12:57:27 -0800 (PST)

Even with stock binaries, it should still write .pine-debug1 through
.pine-debug4 files containing debug info.  To get the most detail, you can
also run pine with a -d 9 flag (pine -d 9) to get a debug level of nine.

Anyone else have any idea what he should be looking for?  I'm completely
clueless as to what might be causing the problem.

Vote NO on I-695!  It's just not worth the cost...

---

From: Erik Demaine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 17:59:36 -0500 (EST)

Hey Dave,

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, David Kidston wrote:

> [...]
> [...]

Sounds like a broken installation.  It's possible that it uses incompatible
shared libraries.

I would try downloading the source code and compiling it yourself.

Cheers!
Erik
-- 
Erik Demaine              \)  e-mail: [email-masked] (PGP avail.)
Dept. of Computer Science  \( URL: http://daisy.uwaterloo.ca/~eddemain/
University of Waterloo     )\ "Any solution to a problem changes the problem."
Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3G1 (\                                -R. W. Johnson