Subject: color in SGI winterms? (Pine 4.21)

From: "Roger L. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:14:42 -0600

I compiled Pine 4.21 yesterday, and immediately started trying to play
with the color features on my SGI.  The xterms that we have aren't color
compatible, so I decided that I'd just run pine from a winterm (xwsh),
where I know that colors (and ANSI color codes) work.  When I set
the colors to either of the "force-ansi-*color" settings, the colors do
seem to work, but when scrolling, things seem to have shifted one row,
wiping out the title bar, as well as other rather nasty side-effects.  I
tried just downloading the pre-compiled binary for testing, but it
exhibits the same behavior.

Is anyone aware of this problem and/or have a solution?  I have a lot of
pine users (who also use winterms, God help them), and I'm not looking
forward to the barrage of support requests I'm going to receive if I
unleash this on them. 

 _\|/_\|/_\|/_\|/_\|/_\|/_\|/_\|/_\|/_\|/_\|/_\|/_\|/_\|/_\|/_\|/_\|/_\|/_
| Roger L. Smith            Phone:662-325-3625      [email-masked] |
| Systems Administrator     FAX:  662-325-7692 WWW.ERC.MsState.Edu/~roger |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|         Mississippi State University/National Science Foundation        |
|______Engineering Research Center for Computational Field Simulation_____|

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Kim Scarborough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 09:36:46 -0600 (CST)

This description sounds similar to the console problem I reported earlier.

---

From: "David A. Desrosiers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 11:33:44 -0500 (EST)

You probably want the XFree86 3.3.2 xterm, which supports ANSI
color and VT220 emulation. It may also make some sense to visit the
following:

	http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey/xterm/xterm.faq.html

+-----------------------------------------------------------+
|  David A. Desrosiers             *calloc(1,sizeof(geek))  |
|  [email-masked]       http://www.gnu-designs.com  |
|  void main (void) { if (windows=="useful") hell=frozen }  |
|  PGP: 80F8 7FFF 8329 292F 2696  E354 3D9E 2800 5B8D ABC1  |
+-----------------------------------------------------------+