Subject: transferring messages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:20:44 -0600 (CST)

I am fairly new to pine as well as this discussion group and I have what
is probably a simple question.
Can anyone tell me how to transfer mail messages from my inbox to another
folder which i have created? Maybe I'm blind but I couldn't locate it in
any help files. 

Thanks much

d.r.

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mike Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:37:14 -0600 (CST)

> folder which i have created? Maybe I'm blind but I couldn't locate it in

Funny you should ask because my wife just asked me the same question
within the last hour.  Pine won't allow you to rename the INBOX, for good
reason.  So you have to use 'Select' and 'Apply' commands.

First, go into the Menu Setup Configure and make sure this box is checked:

   [X]  enable-aggregate-command-set

Then go to the INBOX and do the following:

;  (Select)
A  select All
  (I'm not sure if you have to Zoom here, I have pine set to 'zoom'
   automatically.)
A  Apply
S  Save

Once you're done saving, you can use eXpunge to get rid of all the Deleted
messages.

Mike

-- 
Michael B. Miller
University of Missouri--Columbia
http://taxa.psyc.missouri.edu/~mbmiller/

---

From: "George A. Magill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:12:45 -0500

> Once you're done saving, you can use eXpunge to get rid of all the Deleted

Maybe I misunderstand what he wants to do, but isn't it easier to just let them
go to the default saved folder (on exit), then move them next time? But I guess
you have to read or mark-read them to do that, which may not be what he wants.

-- 
Ralph (George A. Magill)
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:08:34 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Mike Miller wrote:

>Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:37:14 -0600 (CST)
>From: Mike Miller <[email-masked]>
>To: Pine Discussion Forum <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: transferring messages
>

I don't save messages much, but when I do, I usually do it one at a time..
I think a lot of people save messages while reading them too..

So it may fit more into someone's preferences to just hit 's' while they're
reading a message, and type in the folder name (you can type part of it and
hit tab to auto-fill in the rest), or hit the proper command to bring up
the list where you can visually select the folder..

(I sort of wish that were the default -- that when I hit 's' it went to the
list of folders, maybe even on the bottom 2 lines instead of erasing the whole
screen.)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:33:38 -0600 (CST)

George,

Mike's advice worked perfectly for what I wanted to do although what I
wanted to do was move certain messages to a new folder and not the entire
content of the inbox. Which I was easily able to figure out how to do as
well
from the commands Mike listed. Thanks anyhow.

d.r.

---

From: Mike Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:34:38 -0600 (CST)

> I think a lot of people save messages while reading them too..

Right!  It occurred to me later that the original post might have been
about that, but that seems so obvious because there is an "S  Save" in the
menu at the bottom of the screen!

A third approach is to select using ':' and then Apply.

It took me about two years using Pine to learn about Select, and it helped
me a *lot*!  (Thanks to someone on this list for pointing out that
feature.)  Relevant issue:  So many pine features are turned off by
default that it's a lot of work to get in there and figure out what you've
been missing.  Is there a web page somewhere that just lists all the great
Pine features that are turned off by default?  It would be nice to have
such a web page.

Mike

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:42:24 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Mike Miller wrote:

>Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:34:38 -0600 (CST)
>To: [email-masked]
>Cc: Pine Discussion Forum <[email-masked]>

I _don't_ mean to get into an argument...  I'll point out a few things though.

1) The original poster may have the menu turned off (doubtful as he's new,
but it may be true)..  I certainly turned it off as soon as I learned how.

2) More importantly, "Save" isn't very consistent with that term's use 
throughout the history of personal computers.  I think it could be argued that
the use in pine is _more_ logical (since you are "saving it for later" rather
than deleting it), it still isn't too consistent.

   I think to people who have any personal computer experience, they would
expect "Save" to be what the Export command really is -- they'd expect save to
mean save to another part of the disk. 

It's not really relevant to the main discussion, and I of course am glad
that there's a way to select multiple messages and perform commands on them.