Subject: /var/spool/mail must have 1777 protection

From: Nicolas Markey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 02:56:49 +0100 (MET)

Hi !

	since our /var/spool/mail has 2775 protection, pine tells us
it MUST have 1777 protection, saying our mailbox would be
"vulnerable". I can't see why.

	Could someone tell me ? 

--  Nico

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ariel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 01:22:44 -0500 (EST)

> "vulnerable". I can't see why.

2775 would allow any user who can create a file in the spool to also
delete any file in the spool even if they don't own the file so it's not
safe. If you want new files to get the group of the directory (2000) at
least do 3775. (i.e. also add 1000) so that you have the sticky bit set as
well.

Hopefully whatever group you have for the directory includes all your
users who might use mail or you'll run into problems.

	-Ariel