Subject: Global Color Settings in 4.20

From: Kim Scarborough <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 21:10:08 -0600 (CST)

I just compiled and installed pine 4.20 on a FreeBSD box. The color
settings seem to be working fine, but I wanted to define some system
defaults in /usr/local/lib/pine.conf. When I put this line in there:

color-style=force-ansi-8color

It forces color on for everybody. Great, that's what I want. But when I
start putting specific color definitions in there, for example:

normal-foreground-color=blue
normal-background-color=white
title-foreground-color=white
title-background-color=red
status-foreground-color=yellow
status-background-color=black

It doesn't seem to "take". Everyone still has the Pine default colors.

Is this a coding oversight, or do I just have the syntax wrong? Those
settings work fine in my own .pinerc.

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mike Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 11:19:31 -0600 (CST)

I don't know if it is Pine's fault, but I can't seem to get 'white' as a
color when using 4.20 in a rxvt window.  The other colors look about
right, but 'white' is actually off-white, maybe ivory or near beige.  
Bolded characters *are* truly white though.  Does this have something to
do with compatibility of Pine with rxvt?  I'm running this all under
Solaris 2.6.

Second question:  [a little off topic] This is *not* Pine's fault, but I
can't figure out how to get rxvt to paste things from other windows.  I
can copy and paste *within* a single rxvt window using mouse buttons, but
I can't copy from one rxvt window and paste to another rxvt window.  Nor
can I copy from an xterm window or Netscape and paste to rxvt.  I'm hoping
that one of you will know the answer because I was told about rxvt by
someone on this list (because it allows me to use Pine's color features).  
Here's an important clue to the problem:  When I start rxvt, I get the
following error message:

    rxvt: input method doesn't support my preedit type

Anyone know how to fix this one?

Thanks much,

Mike

-- 
Michael B. Miller
University of Missouri--Columbia
http://taxa.psyc.missouri.edu/~mbmiller/

---

From: Mike Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 12:39:39 -0600 (CST)

> do with compatibility of Pine with rxvt?  I'm running this all under

Solution:

This was *not* a Pine problem, not quite anyway.  rxvt has color7 set to
Antique White instead of to White.  Pine calls color7 when you ask it for
white.  So, if you launch rxvt thusly,

rxvt --color7 White

it will use bright White instead of Antique White when Pine calls for
white.

Mike

---

From: Steve Hubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 11:59:10 -0800 (PST)

Yes, this is a bug. I think that your normal default colors should be
working, but not the others. If you replace the set_color_val function in
.../pine/other.c with the attached function, that should fix it. Will be
fixed in 4.21. Thanks!

-- 
Steve Hubert <[email-masked]>
Networks and Distributed Computing, Univ. of Washington, Seattle