Subject: re: reading Pine messages off-line

From: David W Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 13:59:46 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

I use Pine for e-mail both at home and at work. Does anyone know if there
is a way, when I'm using Pine at home, to read messages off-line (without
removing them wholesale from the server)?

Thanks for any advice.

David Smith

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dr David Smith

Systems Administration

Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics 
University of Oxford 
Roosevelt Drive 
Headington 
Oxford OX3 7BN

E-mail: [email-masked]

Ph:  (+44) (0) 1865 287596
Fax: (+44) (0) 1865 287664
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: Scott Leibrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:35:50 -0800 (PST)

Pine simply doesn't do offline mail on its own.  If you're running Windows
at home, you probably want to use a windows mail client like OE5 and set
it up with IMAP or POP3 + leave-mail-on-server, then use the work offline
option.  If you're running Linux, there are several ways to download your
mail and leave it on the server, but I've never used any of them.

-- 
Scott Leibrand
[email-masked]
http://students.washington.edu/leibrand
* RCW 19.190 notice: This email address is located in Washington State. *
* Unsolicited commercial email may be billed $500 per message.          *

---

From: "E. Salazar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 13:21:31 -0800 (PST)

You can try a script called pop-perl5.  It downloads messages from a
remote server to your local pine box and can be modified to not delete the
messages off the server.  The only bad thing is then you end up with
copies of everything both at home and at work.

---

From: "Robin S . Socha" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 03:44:11 -0500

Quoting E. Salazar ([email-masked]):
> messages off the server.  The only bad thing is 

... that you will end up with a couple of megabytes of mail in no time (not to
mention that "leaving mail" on a  POP3 host is a dirty hack to say the least).

Oh yeah - and thanks for quoting 52 lines for nothing.