Subject: DSN no longer works?

From: Jim Tatz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 18:56:39 -0500 (EST)

Does anyone know what controls whether delivery status notification is
supoprted by the server? Is that something in the sendmail.cfg?

When I try and send a message now, I get
[Delivery Status Notification not available from this server.]

Thanks,
Jim

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Ed Greshko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:56:51 +0800

Jim,

> [Delivery Status Notification not available from this server.]

It is good to see you know this to be a server related issue.  The server must
respond support the ESMTP verb "DSN" as described in RFC-1891.  Apparently, the
one you are connecting to doesn't understand "DSN".

I'm not sure if it is a configuration option in sendmail.cf or if you need to
compile support for DSN when you build sendmail.  I think you should try the
comp.mail.sendmail newsgroup for a more definitive response.

Regards,
Ed

---

From: Steve Hubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:17:16 -0800 (PST)

Jim,
  Yes, it's kind of an obscure sendmail config if I remember
correctly. DSN is tied together with the Mime error handling. You have to
turn on both of them or neither. I think it is turned on by default. The
config variable is "SendMimeErrors" in the .cf file, or
confMIME_FORMAT_ERRORS in the m4 config files.

-- 
Steve Hubert <[email-masked]>
Networks and Distributed Computing, Univ. of Washington, Seattle