Subject: Minor PC-Pine 4.20 questions

From: James Frye <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 18:55:25 -0800 (PST)

I'm using PC-PINE 4.20, set up to save messages and read them off-line,
and am seeing several odd behaviors.  Don't know if they're actual bugs,
or just something not right in my setup, and so was wondering if anyone
has seen them and knows how to fix them.

1) It seems to take far too long to do anything on-line.  For instance,
if I'm on line and start Pine, I get a message like "Mailbox opened with
X messages".  When I then do an I command, it takes a minute or more to
display the list of messages.  (Not downloading them, just displaying
the list.)  It likewise takes a minute or so to send even the shortest
message.

2) I save the messages to my machine, and run Pine disconnected to read
them.  The  last message in the index is always current, even though
incoming-startup-rule is set to first-recent or first-unseen.

3) When I'm reading messages off-line, I get the message "New mailbox
modification time, but apparently no changes" at seemingly random
intervals of several minutes.  I am usually making changes, by deleting
messages I've read.

Thanks,
James

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 16:22:25 -0500 (EST)

On 99-11-26 James Frye <[email-masked]> wrote:
> and am seeing several odd behaviors.  

How are you downloading the messages? Do you use a Pine filter or
some other method?

> the list.)  It likewise takes a minute or so to send even the shortest

I've got ideas for speeding up PC-Pine in the "Speeding Up
PC-Pine" section of my PC-Pine page:

 http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#speed

> incoming-startup-rule is set to first-recent or first-unseen.

I also have this problem with both remote and local folders. Pine
seems to always do the right thing when I'm tabbing through
incoming folders but when I just go to a folder it often does not
focus on first-recent, which is the setting I use.

> intervals of several minutes.  I am usually making changes, by deleting

I also see the message a lot and I'd like to know what causes it
and how to prevent it.

Thanks,
Nancy

-- 
For Pine links, see http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/
 
©Nancy McGough         http://www.ii.com/         Infinite Ink
--= Sent via PINE 4.21: Internet News & Email for Win/Unix =--

---

From: James <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 11:17:18 -0800 (PST)

> How are you downloading the messages? Do you use a Pine filter or

I set up a connection to the ISP (ATT Worldnet), then start PC-Pine.  In
a few seconds, it gives me the message "Inbox opened with N messages".
I type "I" for the index, which takes maybe 30-60 seconds to appear.  I
then type ";AAS<CR>" to save them all to the incoming mail file on my
machine.  If I don't have any outgoing mail to send, I quit, disconnect
the ISP, and run Pine in disconnected mode to read the messages.

When I'm disconnected, everything runs fast enough that response time is
not noticable.

> PC-Pine" section of my PC-Pine page:

I've read that (in fact, it's where I learned how to set Pine up this
way), but most of the speedup tips seem to apply only when you're
running on a network, and/or maintaining folders or addressbooks on
remote machines.  Other than the incoming mail, I keep nothing on the
remote system, and disconnect as soon as the mail's been moved.

Thanks,
James

---

From: Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:52:41 -0500 (EST)

On 99-11-29 James <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I type "I" for the index, which takes maybe 30-60 seconds to appear.  

Do you sort by arrival? That should be the fastest so if you're
not using that, try it and see if the speed improves. Also try
adding the hidden feature quell-partial-fetching to your
feature-list and see if that improves things. I just (within the
last hour) updated my PC-Pine page so there might be some things
out there you haven't yet tried (e.g., the quell-partial-fetching
idea). 

Another thing you should do is upgrade from version 4.20 to 4.21.
According to the UW Pine pages, there are some PC-Pine folder
handling improvements and those might help out with your speed
problems.

> I

Starting with Pine 4.20 you can use a Pine filter to automate the
download. I've now got instructions for how to do that at:

 http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#filter

This will probably make the whole process faster for you since
you won't have to do `; A A S foldername CR'.

Good luck,
Let us know if you have success speeding up PC-Pine,
Nancy