Subject: Bug in 4.20 with read/unread messages

From: "David A. Desrosiers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 16:37:14 -0500 (EST)

I know there was a thread on this in pine-info, which was never
even touched, but there appears to be a bug in the 4.20 version of pine
under linux/unix that is very inconsistant. Very specific messages show up
as read when I read them, and then when I load up another folder, and go
back to the original folder, they show up as unread again. I've moved the
messages back and forth between folders, reading them again and again all
over the place, and they still do not show up as read permanently.
 
       Any ideas?

+-----------------------------------------------------------+
|  David A. Desrosiers             *calloc(1,sizeof(geek))  |
|  [email-masked]       http://www.gnu-designs.com  |
|  void main (void) { if (windows=="useful") hell=frozen }  |
|  PGP: 80F8 7FFF 8329 292F 2696  E354 3D9E 2800 5B8D ABC1  |
+-----------------------------------------------------------+

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Eduardo Chappa L." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 12:53:49 -0800 (PST)

*** David A. Desrosiers ([email-masked]) wrote Today:

:) 
:)        I know there was a thread on this in pine-info, which was never
:) even touched, but there appears to be a bug in the 4.20 version of pine
:) under linux/unix that is very inconsistant. Very specific messages show up
:) as read when I read them, and then when I load up another folder, and go
:) back to the original folder, they show up as unread again. I've moved the
:) messages back and forth between folders, reading them again and again all
:) over the place, and they still do not show up as read permanently.
:)  

This is actually a FAQ already, but will probably be forgotten very soon
when 4.21 appears.

What happens is that there is a bug in the c-client, which has been
addressed and fixed. The best solution is to pick the new imap
distribution package (from UW's ftp site) and replace it for the one you
have and recompile.

Hope this helps, have a good day.

Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

---

From: "David A. Desrosiers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 17:04:11 -0500 (EST)

Did that last night. Same errors. Any other ideas?

---

From: Ed Kern <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 16:13:10 -0500 (EST)

> 	Did that last night. Same errors. Any other ideas? 

Try it with imap-4.7.BETA.tar.gz.  Untar this and replace the imap dir in
your pine source tree with this one, and then build the whole thing, and
all should be well.

Cheers,

Ed.