Subject: A URL in a Message; can it be processed in the background?

From: Seth Kurtzberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 14:32:09 -0700 (MST)

Hello,

I'm new to this list so apologies if this is a redundent question.

I've configured Pine to kick off Netscape from a URL in a mail message.
This works perfectly.  However, while the browser is running, Perl shows
an empty xterm.  Is there anyway to not lock up Pine while the URL is
displayed by the browser?  I tried the most obvious thing, putting an "&"
after the netscape command, but Pine rejected that, thinking that the & is
part of the executable name (which, of course, it is to Pine).

I can start a second version of Pine running, but I think there is a way
to configure Pine to run the browser in the background and I haven't
discovered it yet.

Seth Kurtzberg
Machine Independent Software
Cell (602) 478-5511
Fax: (480) 614-8909
email:  [email-masked]
pager:  888-605-9296 or email [email-masked]

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "George A. Magill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:26:26 -0500

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Seth Kurtzberg managed to articulate:

I use lynx from pine, which causes lynx to take over the terminal window. The
way I 'fixed' it was to create a file, 'lnx' which launches lynx. I just tried
it out with netscape and it also worked.
Make an executable file containing the line 'exec /usr/bin/netscape &' (or
whatever path) and point pine to this file. 

-- 
Ralph (George A. Magill)
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: Seth Kurtzberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 18:50:03 -0700 (MST)

Thanks!  I should have thought of that.

Seth Kurtzberg

---

From: Seth Kurtzberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 18:57:35 -0700 (MST)

I did the same thing a slightly different way.  I make an executable
script with "/usr/local/bin/netscape $1 &".  Without the $1 it didn't get
the URL as an argument.  I think the two ways are equivalent.

Seth Kurtzberg

---

From: "George A. Magill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 20:22:25 -0500

> the URL as an argument.  I think the two ways are equivalent.

oops... you're right

---

From: "David A. Desrosiers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 20:34:40 -0500 (EST)

This is much more appropriate (I just whipped this up after seeing this
thread of messages go past) 

-----------------------------------------------------------
	#!/bin/sh
	export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

	if [ -h ${HOME}/.netscape/lock ]; then
	        ${NETSCAPE} -remote openURL\("$1"\,new_window\) ;
	else
	        ${NETSCAPE} "$1 ";
	fi
-----------------------------------------------------------

+-----------------------------------------------------------+
|  David A. Desrosiers             *calloc(1,sizeof(geek))  |
|  [email-masked]       http://www.gnu-designs.com  |
|  void main (void) { if (windows=="useful") hell=frozen }  |
|  PGP: 80F8 7FFF 8329 292F 2696  E354 3D9E 2800 5B8D ABC1  |
+-----------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Seth Kurtzberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:34:25 -0700 (MST)

That is a good point; it avoids the "you already have a copy of netscape"
dialog box.

Seth Kurtzberg

---

From: Mike Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 20:57:04 -0600 (CST)

I have the following line in my .pinerc:

# List of programs to open Internet URLs (e.g. http or ftp references).
url-viewers="/opt/netscape/netscape -noraise -remote openURL\\(_URL_,\\ new-window\\)"

I didn't make this up.  It came from someone on the list.  It works well
when I'm at the console on my Sun computer (Solaris 2.6 OS).

Mike