Subject: Sorting distribution lists by name

From: Erik Demaine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 10:33:28 -0500 (EST)

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to sort distribution lists by the full names of the contained
aliases, instead of the names of the aliases themselves?

For example, if I have

  - an alias "jsmith" for Smith, John <[email-masked]>,
  - an alias "xdow" for Dow, Xiang <[email-masked]>, and
  - an alias "all" for jsmith, xdow.

Then when I send email to "all", it ends up in the order

        Smith, John
        Dow, Xiang

whereas I would prefer alphabetical by last name.

This is, of course, independent of whether I define "all" to be
jsmith, xdow  or  xdow, jsmith,  because Pine always sorts distribution
lists by alias name. :-(

Any thoughts/patches?
Erik
-- 
Erik Demaine              \)  e-mail: [email-masked] (PGP avail.)
Dept. of Computer Science  \( URL: http://daisy.uwaterloo.ca/~eddemain/
University of Waterloo     )\ "Any solution to a problem changes the problem."
Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3G1 (\                                -R. W. Johnson

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Scott Leibrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 07:47:26 -0800 (PST)

Yes, that is kind of a counterintuitive behavior, especially since I have
addrbook-sort-rule set to fullname-with-lists-last.  Perhaps the Pine team
ought to consider a sort-recipients option that would make it
automatically sort them according to addrbook-sort-rule, or even another
recipient-sort-rule option.

-- 
Scott Leibrand
[email-masked]
http://students.washington.edu/leibrand
* RCW 19.190 notice: This email address is located in Washington State. *
* Unsolicited commercial email may be billed $500 per message.          *