Subject: default filename when saving attachments

From: John Berthels <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 11:22:53 +0000 (GMT)

Dear all,

I posted this once before (to pine4.10) to no response (which seems
reasonable if its not interesting :-)

This is a minor patch which permits the pico file browser used in pine to
suggest a default filename when saving an attachment, to avoid
retyping. The default filename is whatever was in the MIME bodypart -
i.e. the filename the sender assigned to it. This info is preserved all
the way down to the file browser but then thrown away in the UI - this
strikes me as unintentional.

Is this:

a) unnecessary because there is a different way of doing this which I
haven't noticed
b) done in a stupid way which breaks other things
c) something which doesn't bother other people
d) the wrong place to send patches

Tick one or more of the above.

regards,

jb

---

From: "Ed Greshko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 21:22:36 +0800

John,

> Tick one or more of the above.

How about "e) I'm not sure what problem you are attempting to fix."?

When I use pine to display your message, for example, and when I go to the
attachment index and say "save" I am prompted with the file name you've assigned
to your attachment.

So, what am I missing?

Thanks,
Ed

---

From: John Berthels <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 14:25:08 +0000 (GMT)

> How about "e) I'm not sure what problem you are attempting to fix."?

Ah.

> attachment index and say "save" I am prompted with the file name you've assigned

Ctrl-T to go to file browser, navigate to the directory I want to save.

The 'A'dd feature was added to save the bp with a filename, but without
the patch I get a blank prompt on 'A'dd. With the patch I get the
filename.

Do you see this behaviour?

regards,

jb

PS. What I really want is to avoid the 'Add' and have a 'save here with
original filename' but I can live with 'A'+(4 * Enter) to do the same
thing.

---

From: "Ed Greshko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 23:38:41 +0800

John,

> Do you see this behaviour?

Now I see what I was missing.  I also understand the behaviour you're expecting
and it sounds like a reasonable expectation.

I'm certain the folks on the pine team read this list and will consider your
patch.  But it is holiday time in the USA and you may not hear from them quite
so quickly.  :-)

Ed

---

From: John Berthels <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 15:49:59 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Ed Greshko wrote:

> Now I see what I was missing.  I also understand the behaviour you're
> expecting and it sounds like a reasonable expectation.

Cool.

> I'm certain the folks on the pine team read this list and will
> consider your patch.  But it is holiday time in the USA and you may
> not hear from them quite so quickly.  :-)

Fair enough. Is this the time of year to give thanks for pine? ;-)

jb

---

From: Freda B Birnbaum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 11:28:48 -0500 (EST)

> Is this the time of year to give thanks for pine? ;-)

Ahem!  ALL YEAR 'ROUND is the time to give thanks for Pine!

Freda Birnbaum, [email-masked]
"Call on God, but row away from the rocks"

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------