Subject: Select Text doesn't work in my Linux

From: "Joan M. Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:44:45 -0800 (PST)

Greetings,

When I try to use Select Text with pine 4.20 and 4.21 I get the
following error message:

[specified character set not supported]

Anybody knows what's going on? I've been going through the
documentation, but I haven't been able to find any reference. I've
even checked the code, without finding the error message
anywhere.

Some details:

- I'm running RH 5.2, in a fairly standard configuration.

- I've played with all the configuration options of pine that refer to
  characters, with no luck.

- Select works when no text is involved. For example, I can do a
  Select Answered messages.

- Whereis works. I can find the messages sent by somebody using it,
  but it's terribly inefficient.

- I've checked it in different types of terminals, without any
  difference (xterm, xiterm, nxterm, rxvt)

- I've downloaded the pre-compiled version (hoping that it would not
  have the problem), but it doesn't work at all: it says: "Can't open
  termcap file; check TERMCAP variable and/or system manager." I don't
  have a TERMCAP variable by default, and setting it up pointing to
  /etc/termcap (which is my termcap file) doesn't help.

- I'm new to pine. It's a great program, and I find it much more
  efficient than the old mouse-oriented resource-consuming
  crash-at-the-middle-of-a-critical-message-at-8-at-night program I
  was using before. I've lived till now without a Select, but now that
  I know about it it seems indispensable.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Joan M.

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------