Subject: PC-Pine Env variables

From: "Max Devlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 00:29:28 +1100

Hi,

I need to change these. They are mentioned frequency in the
dox except where to find them. I assume its a dumb question,
but any help appreciated.

Regards

>:->
}---

M a x    D  e  v  l  i  n                       l u c i f e r(at) mpx/c o m/au
a.k.a                                                             messages/ to
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet Spam Boycott:  http://spam.abuse.net/spam

Internet Spam Ban:      http://www.cauce.org
                        http://www.caube.org.au 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
             *****   <Support CAUCE + SMITH = STOP Spam!>   ***** 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   "There is no constitutional requirement that the incremental cost of 
    sending massive quantities of unsolicited advertisements must be    
    borne by the recipients."   
                        - Judge Graham, Compuserve vs. Cyber Promotions      

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Scott Leibrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:38:22 -0800 (PST)

Check out Nancy's page at:

 Primary: http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/
 Backup: http://www.best.com/~ii/internet/messaging/pine/pc/

I'm pretty sure it talks about them.  I also seem to recall that they're
ordinary DOS env vars, so you can set them with set or winset from a dos
prompt.  (Set only lasts for the current dos session;  winset lasts for
the entire windows session.)

-- 
Scott Leibrand
[email-masked]
http://students.washington.edu/leibrand
* RCW 19.190 notice: This email address is located in Washington State. *
* Unsolicited commercial email may be billed $500 per message.          *

---

From: "Max Devlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:17:07 +1100

> the entire windows session.)

Cool. It does and has a way to permanetly do this. This did not solve my actual
problem, although something else in the FAQ did. I was trying to set 
Pine up for multiple accounts. It did this by copy/rename the whole
directory. When I ran both programs (410-w95) I found them using the same
Pinerc from the original directory (Pine410). 

I also just downloaded 420. I deleted Pine410, but the first time I ran
420 it re-created it and put in a pinerc file? There were no env variables
set in the file listed in the FAQ or a global pinerc directory so where is Pine 
getting this from? I assumed it would default to the pinerc in the Pine420
directory.

Regards

}---

---

From: Scott Leibrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:55:19 -0800 (PST)

> Pinerc from the original directory (Pine410). 

Good.  :)
 
> getting this from? I assumed it would default to the pinerc in the Pine420

I'm not sure I understand your question right, but I think Pine assumes
that your pinerc is located in either (a) the directory in which Windows
starts Pine, or (b) the location of the Pine binary.

---

From: Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:17:29 -0500 (EST)

I think my "Setting Up PC-Pine for Power Users" addresses all the
questions you have. It's at:

On 99-11-17 Max Devlin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I was trying to set 

See the section on "Setting Up PC-Pine for Multiple Users" on my
PC-Pine page.

> getting this from? I assumed it would default to the pinerc in the Pine420

Read the sections "Configuration Overview" and "2. Setting Up
PC-Pine Directories and Environment Variables." Let us know if
you still have problems after reading these sections.

Nancy

-- 
For Pine links, see http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/
 
©Nancy McGough         http://www.ii.com/         Infinite Ink
--= Sent via PINE 4.20: Internet News & Email for Win/Unix =--

---

From: Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:41:08 -0500 (EST)

> See the section on "Setting Up PC-Pine for Multiple Users" on my

I just reread your question and see that you said "set Pine up
for multiple accounts" -- do you mean that you have more than one
ISP that you dial into? If so, my section called "Switching Your
SMTP and NNTP Servers for Different ISP Connections," which is
at:

 http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#diffISPs

might solve your problem. Or, are you just trying to access your
inboxes that are on different IMAP and POP servers around the
world and want to reply using different roles? If that's what
you're trying to do, you can do all that with one pinerc. I
discuss this a little in the Note at the end of the "Setting Up
PC-Pine for Multiple Users" section.