Subject: major bug in GOTO

From: Mike Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 14:51:33 -0500 (CDT)

This is a highly replicable feature because I just did it three times and
it happened every time.  It can be pretty devastating.  I'm running SunOS
2.6 and Pine 4.10.

I was in a '<Mail>' folder called sscp.  I used 'L' to see my Collection
List, I selected 'Mail', and that left me in the list of Mail folders with
the cursor on 'sscp' (one of my folders).  Then I hit 'G' for GoTo,
entered the name of another folder in the Mail collection, and hit enter.

You'd think it would just go to the next folder, but instead I get the
following message:

Save the 1075 read messages in "sscp"?                                                
Y [Yes]                                                                               
N [No]

The problem with that message is that there definitely were no deleted
messages in the folder!  In fact, there are 1132 messages in the folder
and I have no idea how it picked the 1075.

The worst of it is that you *must* either 'save' the messages in their own
folder, or you must not save them (which means what?  I don't know).
There is no other choice.  So now I just go to another window and kill
pine.  The first time it happened to me, I said 'Yes' and it spent several
minutes generating second copies of the messages in sscp and putting D
flags on the first copies of the messages.

Is this happening to other people?  It might have something to do with the
existence of an Incoming Folder with the nickname sscp, but that folder is
not being used at the time, so I can't see how it should have an effect.

Regards,

Mike

-- 
Michael B. Miller
University of Missouri--Columbia
http://taxa.psyc.missouri.edu/~mbmiller/

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Edward M Greshko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 10:45:19 +0800 (GMT)

> it happened every time.  It can be pretty devastating.  I'm running SunOS

I'm "close" at Solaris 2.5.1 and Pine 4.05...  :-)
 
> not being used at the time, so I can't see how it should have an effect.

Doesn't happen here....

Ed

-- 
Edward M. Greshko                  Technical Manager, Electronic Commerce
GSM: +65-975-10860                 Control Data Asia/Pacific Region
PGPKey-ID:CA3AFA5D  Fingerprint: 2DE6 5527 144E D1BC  3C55 9FA5 518E 52EE

---

From: Jessica Rasku <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 21:14:19 -0700 (PDT)

> > not being used at the time, so I can't see how it should have an effect.

	I have a feeling that this is not a bug, but an unintelegent
implementatio of a feature.  That is, uninteligent in that it doesn't
realise that it is saving to the same folder.  I recall something
somewhere (I don't know where, and I can't find it right now), that there
was a way to save read messages to a folder on exit of the folder they are
in (that may be the 1075?).  I can't locate it right now though...

							Jessica

-- 
Jessica Rasku, Box 270, Rossland, B.C., V0G 1Y0, (250) 362-5701, 
LinuxBox: (250) 362-9668.

List manager: [email-masked] 
     send command help ---- To get help with majordomo
               or lists ---- To get a list of all lists on server.

WWW: <http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Andes/8749>

---

From: Bino Gopal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 11:49:39 -0400 (EDT)

Ya, the incoming-archive-folder feature (which incidentally, I can't get
to work--even though I've defined the archive folders and set them up and
everything...but anyway.. :).  

The idea is just like you said--you have incoming folders, and upon
reading the messages and exiting the folder, it'll ask you if you want to
save those messages to the archive folder...there are a couple of options
you can set wrt this feature, but I forget exactly (since I haven't been
able to get it to work :P ).  I'm sure someone else can provide more
details, or you can check the help for "archive".

							BINO

---

From: Mike Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 11:27:55 -0500 (CDT)

I hope the Pine development team is not being distracted by these comments
about "features".  The problem could be called "an unintelligent
implementation of a feature," but it is really a simple bug that needs to
be fixed.  The problem only arises under a very particular set of
circumstances (as delineated in my last message).

I appreciate the comments of the other writers, but they should look
closely at my last message and see if I'm not describing a bug.  My
previous message is appended.

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 22:49:02 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mike Miller <[email-masked]>
To: PINE-INFO list <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: major bug in GOTO

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Eduardo Chappa L. <[email-masked]> wrote
to me off list:

>   You have probably defined that messages from the (incoming) folder sscp
> be automatically saved to another folder. It may be that pine is not noting
> that sscp is also in your collection list. Maybe changing the name of the
> folder sscp in the <Mail> collection list will solve this problem.

Eduardo was right about this.  Changing the name of the Mail folder to be
different from the nickname of the Incoming folder does prevent the error
from occuring.

I also discovered the following:  The error occurs when I try to use GOTO
and I am looking at the list of Mail folders.  It does not occur if I use
GOTO while I am looking at the Index of a folder.  Thus, I believe the
programmers recognized this problem and fixed it partially, but didn't
catch an instance where it still occurs.

Review:  Pine 4.10 (SunOS 5.6) sometimes mistakenly treats Mail folders as
if they were Incoming folders, but only under certain (replicable)
conditions, and this can cause damage to mail folders.  My folder was
damaged (messages were copied into a different order) but I was able to
fix it.

Regards,

Mike