Subject: Problem replying to select emails which contain attachments...

From: "Mark T. Kramm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 15:01:34 -0500 (CDT)

I am running Pine 4.10 on an HP-UX 11.0 system, and I am having a problem
replying to one particular user when he sends me email with attachments.
He's using mail under Netscape 4.51, but so are other users, and I have no
problem replying to their emails that contain attachments.

When I read his email, I see everything just fine:

  To: "Neary, Annette" <[email-masked]>
  Cc: Mark T. Kramm <[email-masked]>,
       "Zola, Ken" <[email-masked]>
  From: Skip Rosen <[email-masked]>
  Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 08:19:58 -0500
  Subject: Development support summary
  Parts/Attachments:
     1 Shown    20 lines  Text
     2   OK     23 KB     Application
  ----------------------------------------

  Annette,

  Here are some thoughts after meeting with Ken and Mark about the
  Development group's support requirements.

  Skip

  -- 
  ***********************************************************
  
    Skip Rosen 
    CAD Support Engineer
    Commercial Aviation Systems / Sensor Products Operation
    Honeywell Inc.
    Office: (612) 957-xxxx         Good Enough, Never Is.    
    Pager : (612) 818-xxxx         
    E-mail:[email-masked]
  
  ***********************************************************

      [ Part 2, Application/DOC  30KB. ]
      [ Not Shown. Use the "V" command to view or save this part. ]

I can see the text just fine, and I can view the attachment just fine.

Then I do a "reply", Pine pops me into my editor of choice (emacs) where I
see his original email, just like any other email.  I type up my response,
leave the editor, and back in Pine I see something like:

  To      : Skip Rosen <[email-masked]>
  Cc      : 
  Bcc     : 
  Attchmnt: 1. [Application: support-needs.doc] (30KB) ""
  Subject : Re: Development support summary
  ----- Message Text -----
  On Thu, 27 May 1999, Skip Rosen wrote:

  > Annette,
  >
  > Here are some thoughts after meeting with Ken and Mark about the
  > Development group's support requirements.
  >
  > Skip
  >
  >
  >
  
  Thanks, Skip.  Good summary...
  
  --
  Mark T. Kramm  MN51-1380    E-Mail    : [email-masked]
  Honeywell Inc.,  CAS-SPO    Phone/Fax : 612-957-4350 / 612-957-4195
  8840 Evergreen Boulevard    Pager     : 612-365-3106
  Coon Rapids, MN 55433-6040  Disclaimer: "My views, not Honeywell's..."

Then I do a Ctrl-X to send the reply and this is what actually gets sent:

  To: Skip Rosen <[email-masked]>
  From: Mark T. Kramm <[email-masked]>
  Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 14:25:32 -0500 (CDT)
  Subject: Re: Development support summary
  Parts/Attachments:
     1 Shown    19 lines  Text
     2   OK     23 KB     Application, ""
  ----------------------------------------

  On Thu, 27 May 1999, Skip Rosen wrote: > Annette, > > Here are some
  thoughts after meeting with Ken and Mark about the > Development group's
  support requirements. > > Skip > > > Thanks, Skip. Good summary... --
  Mark T. Kramm MN51-1380 E-Mail : [email-masked] Honeywell
  Inc., CAS-SPO Phone/Fax : 612-957-4350 / 612-957-4195 8840 Evergreen
  Boulevard Pager : 612-365-3106 Coon Rapids, MN 55433-6040 Disclaimer: "My
  views, not Honeywell's..."

      [ Part 2, ""  Application/DOC  30KB. ]
      [ Not Shown. Use the "V" command to view or save this part. ]

The "text" portion of my reply message gets glommed into one paragraph,
nuking the formatting of both the original part and my reply.  This is
repeatable for email with attachments from this user, and isn't limited to
"DOC" attachments.  But it works just fine for other users with similar
attachments.

Any clues as to what might be going on?

Thanks,
Mark

-- 
Mark T. Kramm  MN51-1380    E-Mail    : [email-masked]
Honeywell Inc.,  CAS-SPO    Phone/Fax : 612-957-4350 / 612-957-4195
8840 Evergreen Boulevard    Pager     : 612-365-3106
Coon Rapids, MN 55433-6040  Disclaimer: "My views, not Honeywell's..."

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Nancy McGough <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 09:41:17 -0400 (EDT)

On 27 May 1999, Mark T. Kramm <[email-masked]> wrote:
> :
> Then I do a "reply", Pine pops me into my editor of choice (emacs)
> where I see his original email, just like any other email.  I type
> up my response, leave the editor, and back in Pine I see something
> like:
> 
> :

A possible work-around to this is to make sure the following is unset
in your Setup>Configuration screen:

   [ ]  include-attachments-in-reply

Unless you need to include the attachment in your reply (but in most
cases you probably don't -- actually I can think of *NO* case where
sending back the attachment is needed!).

Another Q related to your problem: Do you have emacs set up to
automatically justify the body of the message in some cases? If so,
try disabling that emacs macro.

Let us know if this helps,
Good luck,
Nancy

-- 
For Pine info & links, see www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/
 
©Nancy McGough          http://www.ii.com          Infinite Ink
--= Sent via PINE: Power Internet News & Email for Win/Unix =--

---

From: "Mark T. Kramm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 09:12:00 -0500 (CDT)

>    [ ]  include-attachments-in-reply

Yes, indeed, that solves the problem for "reply", but the problem still
exists when I do a "forward" of the same message...

> sending back the attachment is needed!).

I agree that typically the attachment isn't needed in the "reply", but
there are times when I "reply" to a message and add new people to the
CC: list, and I want them to see the attachment.  Yes, I can use
"forward" for that scenario, but "reply" should work.  And, as mentioned
above, "forward" has the same problem...

> try disabling that emacs macro.

Yes, emacs does do justification for me, but disabling it doesn't make
any difference...

> Let us know if this helps,

The user and I worked on it some more this morning, and it turns out
that when he formats his message using the "plain text" option under
Netscape, all is fine on my end.  When he uses the "HTML" option, things
get screwed up upon hitting "send".  Another pine-info member suggested
that I "postpone" my reply and see if the mail in the postponed-msgs
folder was screwed up.  I did just that, and the postponed message was
NOT screwed up.  So it appears to be something in the actual "send"
process that is flaky.  Even my FCC: copy is screwed up.

If someone from the Pine development group wants to see the original
email for debug purposes, I can "bounce" them a copy.  Just let me
know...

Thanks for the suggestions and help!!

Mark