Subject: deleted mail - how can i get them back...

From: Florence Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 16:41:41 +1000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my user unintentionally deleted some important mail...can we get them back...as u know
our backup is only done at night...is there such a thing called "deleted item" folder

Thanks & Regards

Florence

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Dave Horsfall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 17:23:12 +1000 (EST)

> our backup is only done at night...is there such a thing called "deleted item" folder

Depends; if the deleted items were expunged (the X command) then they're
like Clementine - lost and gone forever...

-- 
Dave Horsfall VK2KFU  [email-masked]  Ph: +61 2 9978-7493 Fx: +61 2 9978-7422
Geac Computers P/L (FGH Division) 2/57 Christie St, St Leonards 2065, Australia

---

From: Jessica Rasku <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 09:22:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> > my user unintentionally deleted some important mail...can we get
> > them back...as u know our backup is only done at night...is there
> > such a thing called "deleted item" folder

	That's a feature that I'd like to see, that re-formating of
multiple levels of quotes is smarter.  I don't know how difficult it would
be to implement, it's not a BIG deal, just something I'd like to see, I
can always go into joe and reformat that way...

> like Clementine - lost and gone forever...

	Again, that depends...  If it is on the backup, you can restore it
from there, but other than that, if it was expunged, it is gone...  And
probably entirely irrecoverably due to the way that I THINK things are
done.  I don't believe that ``if you are lucky you may be able to restore
it from the hard drive,'' is a safe statement to make (it's not safe
unless you REALLY know what you are doing, or are willing to do a big
``oops'' because you did something rather silly, (big oops meaning
possibly a complete restore of you system from scratch in the most extream
cases)).

							Jessica

-- 
Jessica Rasku, Box 270, Rossland, B.C., V0G 1Y0, (250) 362-5701, 
LinuxBox: (250) 362-9668.

List manager: [email-masked] 
     send command help ---- To get help with majordomo
               or lists ---- To get a list of all lists on server.

WWW: <http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Andes/8749>

---

From: Bino Gopal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:05:10 -0400 (EDT)

Doesn't that depend on whether she's running Pine on a UNIX system or a
PC?  I had thought most people who posted here were running on UNIX, but
I've seen enough PC-Pine questions to know that that's not necessarily the
case...

The point being that in a PC one can always run Undelete or some Norton
utilities to recover "deleted" files.  Or does PC-Pine actually "wipe" the
HD when it expunges?  On a UNIX system, unless one has backups it is
indeed gone for good though...

							BINO

---

From: Jessica Rasku <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 11:23:25 -0700 (PDT)

> indeed gone for good though...

	You can do a similar thing (or at least try) in *nix
envioronments, but I believe that Pine doesn't delete files, but updates
them.  So, unless Pine creates a scratch file of some sort, I don't
believe that you can undelete.  As, messages are not individual files,
folders are, and records (which you can view a message as), are not
recoverable with undelete, unless you can recover the entire file prior to
the expunge.

							Jessica

---

From: Dave Horsfall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 11:14:39 +1000 (EST)

> I've seen enough PC-Pine questions to know that that's not necessarily the

Quite possibly, but I'm a Unix bigot, and proud of it.