Subject: Re: major bug in GOTO

From: Mike Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 22:49:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Eduardo Chappa L. <[email-masked]> wrote
to me off list:

>   You have probably defined that messages from the (incoming) folder sscp
> be automatically saved to another folder. It may be that pine is not noting
> that sscp is also in your collection list. Maybe changing the name of the
> folder sscp in the <Mail> collection list will solve this problem.

Eduardo was right about this.  Changing the name of the Mail folder to be
different from the nickname of the Incoming folder does prevent the error
from occuring.

I also discovered the following:  The error occurs when I try to use GOTO
and I am looking at the list of Mail folders.  It does not occur if I use
GOTO while I am looking at the Index of a folder.  Thus, I believe the
programmers recognized this problem and fixed it partially, but didn't
catch an instance where it still occurs.

Review:  Pine 4.10 (SunOS 5.6) sometimes mistakenly treats Mail folders as
if they were Incoming folders, but only under certain (replicable)
conditions, and this can cause damage to mail folders.  My folder was
damaged (messages were copied into a different order) but I was able to
fix it.

Regards,

Mike

-- 
Michael B. Miller
University of Missouri--Columbia
http://taxa.psyc.missouri.edu/~mbmiller/