Subject: Re: Automated Bouncing.

From: Mike Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 10:08:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 19 May 1999, S. Ganeshkumar wrote:

> Sorry if this has been asked before, I want to bounce a mail 2 times to
> the same person. But when I create a list with 2 times his address and use
> that to bounce, it sends only once. Is there any way that I can do this,
> may be through a script?

I don't know, but have you tried changing the case of some of the
characters in one of the addresses to see if that fools your system into
believing they are two distinct addresses?

Mike

---

From: Mike Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 10:18:55 -0500 (CDT)

Sorry, I just tried it and it didn't work.  Pine is too smart about
addresses.

Mike

---

From: Jessica Rasku <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 21:19:42 -0700 (PDT)

> Sorry, I just tried it and it didn't work.  Pine is too smart about

	What about in the username?  That is technicaly case preserving,
and possibly case sensitive.  Pine should not have a problem thinking they
are diffrent.  Or, placing a + at the end of the user name.  Both of those
will make for an address that can not be ``assumed'' to be the same, but
probably will deliver to the person without any problem.

							Jessica

-- 
Jessica Rasku, Box 270, Rossland, B.C., V0G 1Y0, (250) 362-5701, 
LinuxBox: (250) 362-9668.

List manager: [email-masked] 
     send command help ---- To get help with majordomo
               or lists ---- To get a list of all lists on server.

WWW: <http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Andes/8749>

---

From: Mike Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 01:26:40 -0500 (CDT)

> probably will deliver to the person without any problem.

That didn't work either.  Pine has outsmarted us again!

Mike

---

From: Jessica Rasku <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 09:16:57 -0700 (PDT)

> That didn't work either.  Pine has outsmarted us again!

	Um, actually Pine has a bug then.  Maybe it isn't Pine that is
outsmating you though.  Maybe the problem is on the other end, in which
case you need two seperate messages.  I believe that some servers are
setup to reject duplicate messages, which would be what it is seeing if
you are sending a single message with two addresses in it.  

							Jessica

---

From: Edward M Greshko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 07:17:07 +0800 (GMT)

> you are sending a single message with two addresses in it.  

The MTAs (not pine) are smarting than you think.  You are seeking to have
the identical message show up in the same mailbox using emails addresses
which can be determined in at the same hop to be the same.

One way to get around this is to put the address in a format which would
split it at the very first hop.  This is easy to accomplish if you have 2
systems in your company resonsible for sending mails external to your
organization.

Send the mail like so:

[email-masked]
[email-masked]

Regards,
Ed

-- 
Edward M. Greshko                  Technical Manager, Electronic Commerce
GSM: +65-975-10860                 Control Data Asia/Pacific Region
PGPKey-ID:CA3AFA5D  Fingerprint: 2DE6 5527 144E D1BC  3C55 9FA5 518E 52EE