Subject: sticking on News

From: Mike Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 23:18:12 -0500 (CDT)

I'm using Pine 4.10 on SunOS 2.6.

When I change folders using ^G (goto), I sometimes make a mistake that can
be very annoying.  After hitting ^G, I have to hit ^N the right number of
times, then enter the name of the folder I want to go to.  The ^N cycles
through the folder collections as below:

GOTO folder in <Incoming-Folders>  [INBOX] : 
GOTO folder in <Mail>  [sscp] :  
GOTO news group in <News on news.missour> : 

A minute ago I accidentally hit ^N one two many times and tried to go to
folder 'sscp', but I entered it as a newsgroup.  It doesn't exist as a
newsgroup, so the system just sat there waiting for something to happen. I
don't know how long it would take and I didn't want to find out, so I hit
^C a few times and ^Z a few times, but those keystrokes had absolutely no
effect.

Finally, I opened another telnet window and killed pine.  There didn't
seem to be another way to get back to work immediately.

It would be very nice if pine would process ^C input while it is trying to
access newsgroups.  That way we could tell it to give up before too much
time passes.

Thanks again for making pine!

Mike

-- 
Michael B. Miller, M.S., Ph.D., M.P.E.
Department of Psychology
University of Missouri--Columbia
Columbia, MO 65211
 Phone: (573) 882-5671
   web: http://taxa.psyc.missouri.edu/~mbmiller/

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------