Subject: Pine Slow Starting

From: Glenn Wade <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 15:12:36 -0500 (CDT)

Greetings:

We have been using Pine for several months now and greatly appreciate this
fine program.  We are using ver. 3.96 on IBM AIX 3.2.5.

Beginning this morning, starting Pine has been very slow.  I checked
system load, and even with high idle time, the startup has been slow.  The
priority of the Pine process itself is normal:

       F S  UID    PID   PPID   C PRI NI ADDR    SZ    WCHAN    TTY  TIME CMD
  240001 S 1999  87753 106029   1  60 20 2b97   372 b58a7c90  pts/7  0:00 pine
  241801 S 1999 106029  49196   0  60 20  604   176           pts/7  0:00 ksh

During business hours we have from 30 to 50 users on the system.  Today when
I noticed the slowdown, there were four or five users in Pine.

Once Pine has started, everything seems to function normally.

Nothing has changed in our pine.conf file from yesterday to today. 

I checked the FAQ on the website, and did not see an answer to this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Glenn
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Glenn Wade  (254-752-3451)  Heart of Texas Region MHMR - Waco, TX

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Glenn Wade <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 09:37:44 -0500 (CDT)

An Update:

Thanks to Florence Lee for her responses to me.

I noticed after I had originally submitted my message that telnet was also
slow to respond (which I attributed to a routing issue), but did not think
the two issues were directly related.

But...

About 17:30 CDT, Pine -AND- telnet began to function normally.  I am the
only user using IMAP; all users were experiencing the slow start of Pine.
Neither Pine nor telnet were "running away", they were just slow to wake
up.

Everything is working fine today.

Interesting...
Glenn

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Glenn Wade wrote:

> system load, and even with high idle time, the startup has been slow.
-----Snip-----