Subject: RE: Receiving e-mail message from the Exchange Server

From: "Ifversen, Jody M" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 11:37:12 -0600

OK.  I apologize for the delay in reply, but I wanted to finish configuring
my SUN system first.

In order to access an MS Exchange server using PINE you must have version
4.xx.  I did modify 3.96 (on VMS) to work, but it was less than ideal, and
did not provide support for using the Exchange directory.

Within the .pinerc file for version 4.xx, I modified the following entries:

	inbox-path={imap.lovelace.com/user=xxxx}
	rsh-open-timeout=0  <-you may need to add this
	folder-collections=Exchange {imap.lovelace.com/user=xxxx}[]

If you have added support for LDAP, the following entry also needs to be
changed

	ldap-servers=ldap.lovelace.com
"/base=/impl=1/rhs=0/ref=0/type=name-or-email/srch=contains/time=/size=/cust
=/nick="

Of course, you would need to make the appropriate adjustments based on your
server name(s), but I believe these were the only settings required for
connection to the Exchange server.  Remember, YMMV.  Also, you must be
certain that the Directory Name (from the Advance Tab of Mailbox properties
within Exchange Administrator) matches the NT Username, or you will not be
able to connect.  (At least, this is my experience.)

PINE and Exchange are by no means an ideal pairing.  As a matter of fact, I
am still fighting a very interesting problem where certain messages are
truncated within PINE while reading.  (The message is OK if viewed with MS
Outlook.)  I have been unable to find any particular correlation between
where messages get truncated (not all do) and something specific embedded in
that part of the message.  Any ideas from the PINE developers on this one??

Good luck, and let me know if you are still having trouble.  There are other
settings I change in my .pinerc, but I don't think they are specific to
Exchange.

-Jody

BTW: Is there any way to have the /user=xxxx username filled in from the
Unix login name or a shell variable?  I would like to create a generic
pine.conf-fixed with this info if it can be done.

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jody Ifversen                        [email-masked]
Network Administrator II                [email-masked]
Lovelace Health Systems                          (505) 262-7655
Albuquerque, NM                             Fax: (505) 268-2967
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Scott Leibrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 12:05:57 -0700 (PDT)

> pine.conf-fixed with this info if it can be done.
 
If the xxxx in /user=xxxx matches your login name, the /user=xxxx flag
isn't even necessary, is it?  By default, Pine fills in the name you used
to log on to the machine Pine's running from, at least on the machines
I've run it on.

-- 
Scott Leibrand
[email-masked]
How to contact me:
http://students.washington.edu/leibrand/howtocontactme.html
* RCW 19.190 notice: This email address is located in Washington State. *
* Unsolicited commercial email may be billed $500 per message.          *

---

From: Steven Whatley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 14:21:09 -0500 (CDT)

> 	folder-collections=Exchange {imap.lovelace.com/user=xxxx}[]

Thanks for getting back with us.  But, I've had those lines in my .pinerc
months ago.  The problem is that it seems that the Exchange server I'm
trying to access has username/password encryption turned on.   I get the
following message when connecting:

         [>Clear text passwords have been disabled for this protocol<]

So I think I need to compile Pine with Keberose 5 support.  But, I don't
think Solaris 2.6 comes with Keberose 5 on it I think it has krb4 or
less.. I don't have root access to my system and there is no way I can
talk to this site's Exchange admins much less get them to make any changes
to the Exchange server.

I realize security can be a touchy subject.  I'm not trying to bypass any
security.  Just trying to figure out how to get pine to do the proper
encryption.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steven
-- 
                 _|_  |  _|_   "I am the way and the truth and the life.
                  | --|-- |     No one comes to the Father except through
Steven Whatley    |   |   |      me.  If you really knew me, you would
Houston, Texas        |           know my Father as well.  From now on,
[email-masked]   |            you do know him and have seen him."
http://www.blkbox.com/~swhatley/        -- Jesus Christ (John 14:6-7 NIV)