Subject: enable-unix-pipe-cmd

From: Ed Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 11:07:50 -0600 (MDT)

I'm looking for information on Pine's pipe command.  (I'm using
pine-4.10 on a SunOS-5.7 platform.)

Pine's pipe doesn't work like the ELM code base from which Pine was
supposedly built.  I have a moderately complex Bourne shell script I
have used to read a pipe from ELM.  This script prompts me for some
information, incorporates that info and the piped-in email message into
a form, and then invokes a screen editor on that form.  After I exit
the editor, ELM resumes, allowing me to send the form.  The point of
all this is to easily incorporate email messages sent to my personal
account, into a work request system which has formatting requirements.

With Pine, however, piping a message to the shell script fragment
below behaves miserably.  Pine behaves as though it won't hand STDIN
to my script and/or is operating in cooked rather than raw mode.
It doesn't give me the opportunity to enter a line of input before
going merrily on its way.

Does anyone know if there is a config/setup option that modifies
this behavior?  (I looked in the tech-notes.txt file but found no info
describing what the user can expect of Pine's pipe command.)

#!/bin/sh
 echo "enter data:\c"
 read data
 echo "data=$data"

________________________________________________________________________
Ed Arnold * NCAR * POB 3000, Boulder, CO 80307-3000 USA * 303-497-1253 voice
303-497-{1848,1804} fax * [email-masked] * http://www.ucar.edu/era
39 58 41N/105 16 29W/1865m

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 For information about this mailing list, and its archives, see: 
 http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------