Subject: Pine, ipopd, & QVT/Net integration

From: [email-masked] (Mike Scheuerman)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1993 12:27:42 -0800 (PST)

We've just installed the imapd/ipopd3 software on our Sequent ptx system and
now we're trying to use QPC's Win QVT/Net to access the pop3 server and
nothing is happening.  We're trying to figure out if it's our POP install
or a problem with QVT/Net.

We've added the following information to the etc/inetd.conf file:

pop3    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/etc/ipop3d ipop3d
imap    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/etc/imapd  imapd

We've adding the following to the etc/services file:

pop             109/tcp         postoffice
pop3            110/tcp
imap            143/tcp

Is there anything there or elsewhere that we're missing??

If that all looks ok, has anybody had experience with the Win QVT/Net v3.22
pop mail?  When we try and open up a pop session it just sits there and
nothing happens.  Occasionally it will say that the connection has been lost
but only the first time we try to open a session.

We appreciate you're putting up with us novices and the help.

Thanks

Mike Scheuerman

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1993 14:03:01 -0800 (PST)

Mike -

     There is a ``feature'' of PTX which requires that a couple of PTX-unique
lines be added at the start of every daemon that runs under inetd.  I'll dig
up what you need to add to ipop?d and imapd to make these work under PTX.

     The number of gratuituous incompatibilities in PTX from other flavors of
UNIX (even SVR4) is astounding.

Regards,

-- Mark --

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1993 14:10:16 -0800 (PST)

Mike -

     Here's what you need to do to get imapd and ipop?d to run under
PTX.  Edit the source files as follows then rebuild:

     Add the following two includes with the others:
#include <tiuser.h>
#include <stropts.h>

     In the main() function, at the very beginning (right after the
local variable declarations), add these lines:
  tsync (0);
  ioctl (0,I_PUSH,"tirdwr");
  dup2 (0,1);

     This is necessary before a server running under inetd on PTX can
do any stdin input.  Why this crap is necessary (it isn't on any other
flavor of UNIX I know), only Sequent knows.

     Please let me know if you have any further problems.

-- Mark --