Subject: Multiple Mailboxes and IMAP

From: Chris Maukonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1993 14:32:32 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Does the current verson of imapd support multiple mailboxes ? If so, how do I
set it up ? I looked throught the doc, but I am still confused about this.
Could some one please enlighten me.

Thanks

Chris

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1993 11:53:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 26 Apr 1993 14:32:32 -0400 (EDT), Chris Maukonen wrote:
> Does the current verson of imapd support multiple mailboxes? If so, how do I

imapd has always supported multiple mailboxes.  You can access a mailbox other
than INBOX by opening {server_host}mailbox, e.g. {imaphost}mail/foo .

The way you create such a mailbox has changed.  In older IMAP servers that
conform to RFC-1176, the only way you can create a mailbox is by copying a
message to a non-existant mailbox name.  In newer versions of IMAP2bis IMAP
servers, copying to a non-existant mailbox is an error, and you must give an
explicit create operation.

The current release version (3.07) of Pine does not know about the new method,
but the development version in alpha test here does.  I'm not sure how Pine
3.07 handles creating of non-INBOX IMAP mailboxes; it may not offer that
capability in any obvious way.

---

From: "David L. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1993 12:46:20 -0700 (PDT)

When I talked to Mark & Mike last week, that was their hottest project,
figuring out how to support multiple mailboxes/folders.  I think they are
getting pretty close...

*****************************************************************************
David L. Miller                       Internet: [email-masked]
Systems Programmer/Network Analyst      BITNET: MILLERD@WSUVM1
Washington State University Tri-Cities    UUCP: ...!yoda!dmiller
100 Sprout Road                          
Richland, WA 99352                       Phone: (509)375-9245
*****************************************************************************