Subject: Re: included text

From: [email-masked] (Michael A. Crowley)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 93 06:59:48 -0400

I would not take an absolute stand on this.  There are different
styles, but here we encourage people to include inserted
text AFTER everything.  Then if the recipient needs the information
for context, it can be read.  One does not have to wade through
their own text to find the reply.  

Mike

=========================
>From [email-masked] Fri Apr 23 01:01:38 1993
Sender: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1993 06:39:15 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Christer Lindh <[email-masked]>
Subject: included text
To: Pine Info List <[email-masked]>
Status: R

When I reply to a mail, the included text is inserted *after* my
signature. This is quite ugly and useless. Does anyone have a patch
that'll fix this "feature"?

::        [email-masked]        ::   o/       ::                          ::
::  Abalon AB, Stockholm, Sweden  ::  /@        ::          Earth.          ::
::        59.19 N, 17.57 E        ::  <|\  acro ::   Love it or leave it.   ::
::    * All disclaimers apply *   ::   |   phil ::                          ::

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1993 17:10:18 -0400 (EDT)

Michael A. Crowley writes:
> [...] if the recipient needs the information for context, it can be
> read.  One does not have to wade through their own text to find the
> reply.

	Wouldn't a simpler (and more efficient) solution be to
encourage users to trim down attributions?

	Personally, anyone who quotes my entire message back at me
verbatim (when the message isn't going to any new recipients) gets on
my bad side in a hurry.  I know what I said; I don't need my time
wasted in such a manner.

	It would seem to me that putting attributions after the body
of the main text encourages people to do this.  Which is easier... to
skim down and trim up the attributions, or to just save the message
and send it?

	Regards,

James

-- 
James Ralston Crawford \ Assistant Supervisor \ Advanced Technology Lab
[email-masked] \ [email-masked] \ [email-masked]
"Computer, you and I need to have a little talk."  - O'Brien, ST:DS9