Subject: pine on SVR4 ?

From: Paul P. Kolk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 93 13:19:08 MET DST

Hi,

can you tell me if someone has contacted you about having ported pine to 
386/486 SVR4 unix ?.

I've been trying with Pine3.05, but haven't had much luck. I've tried various
combinations and eventually compiled without an error.Unfortunately, when I try
to send mail (I get the question through Pico:"send mail now ?" ) it crashes
with a segmentation fault and dumps core.

I've also tried the ptx build,(since I have a sequent available with PTX 1.3.1
and our U6000/35-65 is binary compatible with bcs generated executables on the
sequent, so moving the binaries after the build to SVR4 environment is possible)
but can only get it correctly built with the -j option (POSIX).This option
makes my binaries not in bcs format, and therefore I cannot move them to the 
SVR4 platform. 

I would also appreciate if you could tell me if I'm using the latest release,
or is there already a higher release available.

regards,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   DISCLAIMER: This statement is not an official statement from, nor does it 
   represent an official position of, Unisys Nederland N.V
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul P. Kolk			| Telephone: +31 20 5658574
Unisys Nederland NV		| Telefax  : +31 20 6977755
CSE Unix Support		| E-mail   : [email-masked]
Hoogoorddreef 11		| NET2     : 770 8574
1101 BA Amsterdam		|
The Netherlands			|
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ross Wakelin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1993 20:41:27 +0200 (BST)

> with a segmentation fault and dumps core.

It took me abut three days, but we have pine running on two different SVR4
platforms, sparc and intel.

We started with the PTX includes and defines, and hacked on it from there.

There is still a "difference" in how pine treates dates in files, and how
SVR4 likes to think of them.  This is fixed in the new imap release (2.3)
which builds very cleanly (just copy the non-ANSI tree to the ANSI tree
and compile with the right compiler switches).  Unfortunately, it is not
very high on our priority list to migrate pine 3.05 to the new imap (read:
looks like a lot of work and can't be bothered).

I haven't looked at 3.07 yet, and am not looking forward to migrating my
fixes (read: haven't generated a patch file).

But..... it can be done, with a little effort, and if I ever (hah) get the
time, I will mail the patches to UW

Cheers

Ross Wakelin                                        [email-masked]
Open Systems Director                  or ..mcsun!uknet!uknet!march!rossw 
March Systems Consultancy Ltd 		+44 734 845 399