Subject: Pine's screen handler

From: Dan Mandell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1993 16:58:58 +0500 ()

Two questions:

1. When connected to our HP running Pine 3.03 at 2400 Bd I must be careful
about holding the cursor keys down when moving around, lest the rapid
repetition of a cursor command cause problems with the screen handler and
create garbage in the message being edited, or at least on the screen
until it is rewritten.  I am careful at 2400 Bd, but concerned about the
cursom movements at higher baudrates (the problems seems sensitive to
modem speed and do not occur except on modem connected terminals). 

2. We have faculty that prefer to upload ascii files directly into pico or
pine, rather using eg. kermit transfers.  However, most of the ASCII
transfer modes introduce what look like ANSI screen commands into the 
document.  Is there a way to do this cleanly?

--
=====================================
Dan Mandell, Academic Computing       
Saint Mary's College                
Internet: [email-masked]

---

From: Laurence Lundblade <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1993 08:41:09 -0400 (EDT)

> modem speed and do not occur except on modem connected terminals). 

I think the problem here is with the terminal driver buffering on the HP.
It could also be a similar problem in the terminal server or other links
between your keyboard and Pico, possibly including your terminal emulator.
Pico can swallow characters as fast as possible as long as it can get CPU
cycles and output the screen painting.  

I don't think there's an easy solution to this.  The easiest might be
changing terminal emulators (if it's the cause of the problem).  What
happens to me with Procomm at 2400b is that the character buffer fills
up and it beeps at me. Once I wait for the beep to stop all is well.

> document.  Is there a way to do this cleanly?

Well, the clean way is to run Pine on your PC! Should be possible soon....
There's not really any guarantees that loading it directly into the buffer
will work (there's no error or flow control when you do this).

Laurence Lundblade
  [email-masked] or [email-masked] (both forward to same place)
     Blacksburg, Virginia or Seattle, Washington