Subject: Re: news and pine

From: Terry Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1993 09:25:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 12 Apr 1993, Michael A. Crowley wrote:

> Will the pine newsreading capability encorporate threads and
> .newsrc-like history so the user has information about what
> has been previously read?  (If you'd like, you can answer
> via info-pine.)

Mike, 
The upcoming versions of Pine and PC-Pine have NNTP support so that
you can use a local .newsrc

You can also use IMAP to access the news database, in which case your
.newsrc needs to be on the server, so the news server would need to know 
about individuals.

Note that there is still quite a bit to be done before we would claim 
Pine to be a real newsreader.  Things like posting, marking as unread, 
catching up, zooming to hide the read messages, threading... are all 
missing at the moment.

Threading will be looked at this summer after the rest of those items are
addressed.  I'm personally not convinced that the current external
threading files are a good way to go, having seen many problems with them
in our environment.  It may be sufficient (and more robust) to locally 
sort on Reference number... 

-teg

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 93 17:25:06 EDT

> sort on Reference number... 

Let me recommend that you use the NOV library.  It will automatically
get the References: information from the nntp server (using the xover
command) and it will even do the algorithm to turn this info into
a tree.  In fact, if you use the NOV library and the INN clientlib.o
library, there is very little that you have to add to get a newsreader.
(small understatement)

Tom

-- 
Tom Limoncelli -- [email-masked] (work) -- [email-masked] (play)
Disclaimer:  I do not speak for Mentor Graphics.
             I can't even do the accent.