Subject: Possible pine 3.07 bug

From: Jeff Earickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1993 11:05:14 -0600 (CST)

Dear Pine,

Scenario: Sun 3/60 running SunOS4.1.1, Pine compiled with gcc 2.3.3.

I seem to have encountered a mysterious bug in Pine 3.07, where the process
just goes to sleep right after starting up.  It never gets to the point where
it puts the menu on the screen, and this problem only occurs sporadically.
Some investigation with the debugger indicates that the problem might
be about the time pine does the gethostbyname() call in getdomainnames()
in os-unx.c.  In looking at this piece of code, it is not clear to me
that any memory is ever allocated for the hostent structure, so the
use of the contents of "he" may be bogus.  What's going on here?

/*------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/* Jeff Earickson, Cray/nCUBE/Sun Consultant|e-mail: [email-masked] */
/* Alabama Supercomputer Network            |  Work Phone: (205) 348-3969 */
/* Boeing Computer Services                 |    Work Fax: (205) 348-3993 */
/* Address: PO Box 870346, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487    */
/*       Alabama 13-0-0, 1992 National Football Champions. Roll Tide!     */
/*                                                                        */
/* Caduceus, n. [Latin]: a shaft with two snakes entwined around it in a  */
/*    strangling embrace, historically used as the symbol of the medical  */
/*    profession.  In modern times, this symbol has become more           */
/*    appropriate to the legal profession....                             */
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

---

From: Michael Seibel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1993 14:46:51 -0800 (PST)

Unfortunately, this isn't likely the problem as gethostbyname() returns a
pointer into static data.  I'm not sure yet where the problem lies, but it
could be related to a bug I'm hunting in the ultrix version that results
in bogus data returned by disk_quota() under certain conditions.  I'll let
you know what turns up... 

Michael Seibel
Networks and Distributed Computing              [email-masked]
University of Washington, Seattle               (206) 543 - 0359