Subject: Crypted passwd in pine-debug file ?

From: Hannu Martikka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 93 19:34:41 +0300

Hi!

Can pine handle NIS passwords? I think it cannot...
IMHO mailers should not change passwords. They should handle mail.
I've got nothing against keyboard locking feature in pine. Some people
like it...
But why does pine haveto copy crypted passwd from /etc/passwd and put
it in some debug-file?
If pine can read crypted passwd then there is no reason (?) to copy
it to another file. Pine can always reread it or keep it in memory.

If I lock keyboard and then change passwd, pine doesn't notice it. 
If pine would get cryped passwd with getpwent (or equiv.) every time
someone tries to unlock keyboard, then it should accept new passwd
insted of old. 
--
Regards from Goodi
______________________________________________________________________________
Internet: [email-masked]  / \  
Bitnet  : GOODGULF@FINFILES     // \\             \-\-\-\-\-\-\	oh5lhh
Hannu Martikka,Skinnarilankatu /// \\\ 	            |		on 70cm	
28 F17, 53850 Lappeenranta,SF /// | \\\_____________|________________________
Tel. +358-(9)53-251446		  | :) Lappeenranta University Of Technology |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Laurence Lundblade <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1993 22:33:40 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings!

> IMHO mailers should not change passwords. They should handle mail.

Pine just runs the "passwd" command so if you have "yppasswd" (or whatever
it's called now) linked to "passwd" then Pine can handle NIS passwords. 
You're right, it probably shouldn't mess around with the password file
itself. That would require it to run setuid root and such. The way it
works now avoids the problem.

> it to another file. Pine can always reread it or keep it in memory.

Right again, Pine does keep it in the memory and nothing more. The stuff
in the debug file is just that, debugging and is not used by Pine at all.
You can turn this by removing the -DDEBUG from the makefile and
recompiling. Also, I suspect that the next release won't put the password
in the debug file no matter what level of debugging you run at (based on
the concern it's caused). 

> someone tries to unlock keyboard, then it should accept new passwd

Yup, that's a bug. It was on the last bug list I saw.

LL